broken Webtop (atrix 4g)

Search This thread

Nick_Su

Feb 16, 2014
Hello! I'm new here and I don't know where to write about it. So, I have atrix and laptopdock. Also I have Tegra2Ubuntop there and everything worked very well. But now, when I insert my atrix into dock I see..... standard desktop!!! When I type sudo gpaint or sudo dosbox these programs doesn't start. That is to say all my programms damaged. Although I can see old folders such as lxdepanel or lxde. File manager show me these directories: 1) adas ; 2) desktop ; 3)MOT ; 4) 9.8 GB Volume; 5)SD/MMC Drive, But I don't see directory OSH. Before it, I tried to run ubuntu linux. I followed by instructions from Complete Linux installer. I think I damaged webtop (which is on my flash card) by using android terminal. (While I tried to run Linux) What I should to do? Please HELP ME !
P.S. Hope you understand me.

andresrivas

Aug 4, 2010
Córdoba
Yup. Or there was a project called simoletop, is original webtop with minimal changes. You could flash it and kibda of start over

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2

Nick_Su

Feb 16, 2014
hm sorry for my english... But I said that I have laptop dock station with Tegra2Ubuntop. And had installed Complete Linux Installer from market and followed this instructions. (Run linux on your phone) And then destroy osh directory (I guess) And I must install Tegra2Ubuntop again, right?

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
hm sorry for my english... But I said that I have laptop dock station with Tegra2Ubuntop. And had installed Complete Linux Installer from market and followed this instructions. (Run linux on your phone) And then destroy osh directory (I guess) And I must install Tegra2Ubuntop again, right?

You've said in both posts something to the effect of a damaged/destroyed/edited /osh partition. Start with the basics. Flash the sbf, then test your phone on the lapdock to ensure it works. Then work from there and rebuild your device the way you want it.

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app

Nick_Su

Feb 16, 2014
only one note. My atrix and webtop work well (but the last with the standard environment) "Flash the sbf" - Now I'm really afraid to destroy my atrix. But the main thing I understood - I should reinstall it.

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
only one note. My atrix and webtop work well (but the last with the standard environment) "Flash the sbf" - Now I'm really afraid to destroy my atrix. But the main thing I understood - I should reinstall it.

Sbfs aren't that scary if you are using the ones made for your region. But yes, reinstalling is the end result

Nick_Su

Feb 16, 2014
ok, I have linux on my PC and when I connect my atrix I can get access to osh. I have 16 Gb flash drive and I think to format osh into ntfs. So I will have flash card 16Gb volume. (ntfs) (now it's 9.8 gb ntfs and 4 gb osh). And try to reinstall again

ravilov

Jan 26, 2010
localhost
Good luck with NTFS. Honestly, it seems you don't really know what you're doing and you're about to make your situation even worse. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: BigJeff

andresrivas

Aug 4, 2010
Córdoba
Ok, let me recap to see if we are missing something here.

First of all, do not touch the /osh partition in any way other than flashing something. You wil break a lot of things if you do so and maybe end up with a nice, hi-tech battery powered paperweight.

Now. You said that linux on android destroyed your webtop yet somehow you can load it up..?

Third: is very unlikely that s tool designed for all kind if android phones just smashed through an very rare(as in only two devices of the thousands) partition thats not standard.

If you installed ubuntop, what prevents you from installing it again?

Last edited:

Nick_Su

Feb 16, 2014
Now. You said that linux on android destroyed your webtop yet somehow you can load it up..?
If I understood right, so.... Yes, I can run webtop. Open PDF, launch Firefox and so on. (But it's not a TegraUbuntop! just standart environment)
Second, It's my supposition that Complete Linux Installer (exactly android terminal) has destroyed /osh.
I must to confess.... the other guy has installed Ubuntop, not me.
And now I have Android 2.3.6 with Webtop 1.3 but If I install (flash) android 4.x ICS so, I have webtop 3.0 . But what's better? Reinstall ubuntop or install android 4x ICS ? Or you have other ideas?

andresrivas

Aug 4, 2010
Córdoba
Aaaaaahhhh
Now I get it. Ubuntop was installed on a second partition on the external sd card, that's why you can load the original webtop, because is in internal sdcard partion.

You got 3 options.

1) Remove linux on android (which also uses external sdcard's second partition, that's why your ubuntop got overwritten) and install ubuntop again (using webtop2sd, all the info is in the forums).

2) Upgrade to atrics (or icsrom) which is the only firmware that has webtop 3.0. Beware, because webtop 3.0 is only android with a tablet interface, not a linux fesktop as original webtop.

3) keep the original webtop and linux4android

Reactions: Nick_Su

Nick_Su

Feb 16, 2014
Aaaaaahhhh
2) Upgrade to atrics (or icsrom) which is the only firmware that has webtop 3.0. Beware, because webtop 3.0 is only android with a tablet interface, not a linux fesktop as original webtop.
I know about it. But it seems quite dangerous. I can destroy my atrix.
And I can't use Complete Linux Installer because it doesn't work. (something wrong with it) So I have standart webtop
But I'd prefer 1 option. (in my view, it's more safety) But what I should to do with /osh? It's already exist! (and takes 4gb) In my opinion, I should clean it. I mean format it into ntfs (fat32) and only then try to reinstall ubuntu. What can you advice?

ravilov

Jan 26, 2010
localhost
So your device is broken and you want to fix it, but you don't actually want to do anything because everything is scary and looks dangerous?
Come one dude, get over yourself. Either you want to fix it or you don't. You've been given plenty of advice, now quit whining and do something about it.

Reactions: palmbeach05

ravilov

Jan 26, 2010
localhost
It looks like you need to learn URGENTLY about filesystems, mounts and mountpoints, before you destroy everything. Your /osh is most definitely NOT 4GB in size, what you're looking at is another part of the filesystem (could be anywhere but is most likely on your external SD card) that just happens to be attached to /osh.

Last edited:

Nick_Su

Feb 16, 2014
hm ok. By the way, I'll use webtop2sd, but webtop has been already transferred to external Sd card! What I need to do? Ext3 already exist. And if I insert new Sd card?

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
hm ok. By the way, I'll use webtop2sd, but webtop has been already transferred to external Sd card! What I need to do? Ext3 already exist. And if I insert new Sd card?

Webtop2sd has already been transferred? Ok then why are we still dealing with this issue? You chose a method given by andresrivas, now finish setting up your webtop setup. And what do you think will happen if your phone is setup to read something from an sd card, and suprise! The sd card isn't there? Hint - file not found ring a bell? This is really basic stuff and you're turning it into an "i'm a noob and wants everyone else to fix my mistake and do the legwork to get info to my questions" session.

andresrivas

Aug 4, 2010
Córdoba
Just skip the webtpo2sd setup and carry on to next step.
Do not touch the osh partition on internal sd.

You should read about how linux mounts storage devices onto the filesystem so you can get an idea about what's going on there and act accordingly

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cool! Tegra2 works again!!! But I've managed to repair old webtop! Theme can be closed.
    Good luck with NTFS. Honestly, it seems you don't really know what you're doing and you're about to make your situation even worse. But I could be wrong.
    Aaaaaahhhh
    Now I get it. Ubuntop was installed on a second partition on the external sd card, that's why you can load the original webtop, because is in internal sdcard partion.

You got 3 options.

1) Remove linux on android (which also uses external sdcard's second partition, that's why your ubuntop got overwritten) and install ubuntop again (using webtop2sd, all the info is in the forums).

3) keep the original webtop and linux4android

So your device is broken and you want to fix it, but you don't actually want to do anything because everything is scary and looks dangerous?
    Come one dude, get over yourself. Either you want to fix it or you don't. You've been given plenty of advice, now quit whining and do something about it.