Rear speaker problem fix! FINALLY!!!

Search This thread

gitah

Aug 24, 2011
I tried again today to unscrew my phone but still no success...The middle screws are just too tight :(

What can I do about those screws ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

keananaho

Dec 7, 2010
I got everything off and the speaker working great but now all of the buttons on the bottom like the home and backup and all that on the bottom do not work. The rest of the touchscreen works but not that. Any ideas?

gitah

Aug 24, 2011
My problem is that the ribbon cable between the speaker and the board is too short. No way to line that white stripe up. Got it in there as best I could and so far so good

Finally opened my cappy but like breezeli said, the ribbon is too short :(

x.SkiTzO.x

Nov 14, 2011
Canadian Lakes, MI
Finally opened my cappy but like breezeli said, the ribbon is too short :(

No Worries, I have 3 Captivates, and I took them all apart. The Ribbon isn't lined up on any of them before you remove it. So if you think that it was, and you just didn't get it, then no worries my friend. That's normal. (I thought the same thing when I unlocked the ribbon clamp.)

snoboarder071

May 27, 2011
Milwaukee
There won't be much slack on the ribbon, but I think any fiddling will help. Be sure to try loosening the speaker screw first tho.

Last edited:

xPerrry

Jan 8, 2011
Stuck on green tint :(

after doing this, my screen suddenly turned into a green tint! im really worried. the speakers kind of improved. but now i have a new problem. the screen is a green tint now. PLEASE HELP ME!! :confused:

jimhlt

Mar 15, 2011
after doing this, my screen suddenly turned into a green tint! im really worried. the speakers kind of improved. but now i have a new problem. the screen is a green tint now. PLEASE HELP ME!! :confused:

You may have loosened another ribbon cable during the process. Go to youtube and search for "Samsung Captivate i897 Repair LCD Glass Screen". Pick the one from phonedoctors. Watch how the phone is taken apart and put back together. I would re-seat all the ribbon cables. Be gentle.

xPerrry

Jan 8, 2011
i did it what the video said, and it's still the same. it's still tinted green. i guess it's a permanent damage. i'll just get it fixed by a proffesional mechanic..

aeodan

Dec 24, 2011

This happened to me as well but I fixed it. My problem was, I didn't connect the piece that's to the right of the camera (sorry I dunno what's what lol) and that piece wind up getting pushed under the motherboard.
Just recheck to make sure there's nothing under anything and everything is connected.

Last edited:

ptesmoke

Sep 23, 2008
Cold Lake
whike i didnt have any speaker issues i did take ky cappy apart...mostly for a cleaning. noticed alot of junk gets into the micro usb port and around the screen edges. nice and clean now ;-) and i double checked all connections all were seated properly. im an avionics systems tech by trade so im familiar with component level stuff. my opinion is the ppl with speaker issues are in fact a sloppy job of the speaker ribbon, you gotta remember these things are tiny and were mass produced...not every ribbon will be seated perfectly. nature of the beast.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

thesquaredone

Dec 23, 2010
WIN!!!

Followed the instructions in the first post and video. All works well after 24 hours. Just to test it out today, I played music on my phone for like 3 hours straight while at work. Thanks to the OP!

artvandalay22222

Jan 19, 2011
Tried loosening screw, worked for a couple hours till I bumped the phone on something. So I tried the reseating of the ribbon trick, and its been working ever since over a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

pzman89

Oct 4, 2010
wow

This seemed to have worked for me. What was interesting, though, when I opened my captivate, there was no screw for the speaker. So I just unhooked the ribbon, then plugged it back in.

artvandalay22222

Jan 19, 2011
This seemed to have worked for me. What was interesting, though, when I opened my captivate, there was no screw for the speaker. So I just unhooked the ribbon, then plugged it back in.

So was the speaker just sitting there all loose and s#%t?

The screw should be just to the left of the speaker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know there are thousands of people looking all over the web for a solution to their captivate's rear speaker cutting out and I am happy to report I have a solution for you! I searched all over these forums, all over google, and by the grace of God I somehow found this suggestion in a comment on a pointless YouTube video with around only a thousand views. But whatever! Here it is...

• Take off the back casing of your phone (it's not too difficult; here are the instructions http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=740022)
    • Once you have the back all opened up you should see one lone screw remaining just to the left of the speaker
    • Loosen the screw

That's it!!!!!!!! The guys' comment on YouTube said he noticed the screw was in so tight that that it was bending the circuit board and messing up the connection. Which makes sense to me because earlier I noticed that pushing down on the right side of the speaker (on the opposite side of the screw) seemed to help better than pushing anywhere else.

So stop listening to all the threads that say "just push on the speaker" or "get it repaired" or "just deal with it." I had jammed stuff in behind my back cover that was so thick it started to bend the metal, but it was always just a temporary fix. No pressure was ever enough pressure to get the speaker consistently working. Who knew the answer would be less pressure? Or that it would be so simple...

Now go fix your phone and enjoy!
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

UPDATE: If you are still having problems, try mithileshpatel007's fix from page two of this thread. Sounds like people have had luck with his method too. He suggests repositioning the speaker ribbon. The ribbon is located on the far right and can be seen going from the bottom of the speaker housing to a small terminal that may be covered by a piece of blue tape. Everything is so tiny that it sort of all looks like one piece but what you can do is...
    • flip up a tiny black latch (bottom of the terminal)
    • reposition or remove + replace the ribbon (enters at the top of the terminal). There isn't much slack, but try to get it as far in there as possible

PLEASE BE CAREFUL! The ribbon is tiny and pretty stiff and some people have reported problems just getting their phone open, much less playing around. Remember this is a tiny device made to do big things so it's not as durable as your GameBoy Color! :) Handle with care.
    For those of you who do not have warranty or insurance, there is a fix for this.
    I just got done with re assembling the phone after a fix I performed. It is real easy to do.

Things you need:
    -A screwdriver (whatever the size is when you open the back cover, the four screws you see, that size)
    -A small flat head screwdriver if you have one (not necessary but would help)
    -Patience and some common sense.

Ok, to start off follow these steps http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=740022 to open the first 6 screws and then how to pop open the screen from the bezel(this is when a flat head screwdriver would be useful).
    (go just to the step till the fifth picture in that thread, no need to go beyond that opening things!)

Now, you would see a screw on the left of the speaker. Now, other threads said that by loosening that screw the speaker would work. But, I did that and still had issues so I opened the phone like 4 times in total before I found out what it was. Now, notice that the speaker unit has a cable (orange colored) running into the main phone chip. It is connected there through which it functions. When you open that above mentioned thread to open the phone there is a picture showing to remove the that belt from the board. Follow that instructions, flip that tiny black clip up to remove the belt. In some cases there might be a blue sticker kind of thing on the belt, just take off that sticker. The problem seems that the belt is loosing contact which doesn't allow the speaker to get the sound input to put out sound through the speaker. So, take off the belt by flipping that switch and re insert it out there. Try to push it in properly or enough to align a white line on the belt and the chip. There is a white line to guide us there. That line should be totally straight when the belt is inserted appropriately. And now, flip that clip down and lock it. If you have loosened the screw left to the speaker, put it back in in normal force not excessive(no need to be more gentle here). You cannot leave it loose because it makes the whole unit move when it is loose eventually pulling off the belt from its place which causes the sound cut outs. The whole trick is to get the belt right in its place. So, make sure it is tight but not extra tight after you have managed to get the belt right. Put everything back together and now when you screw the last 6 screws again, the one in the top speaker corner affects the speaker unit, so don't push it too hard in. Just normal screwing. The rest should be done properly with normal force. This should solve it. I figured this out after opening the phone 4 times. And now playing songs since the past 6 hours non stop and its back in action again!

For all this, i did put in the battery and start the phone when I had opened it and tried messing around and figured out what was killing the sound, so this should be the ultimate solution to it. There is nothing else that can be affecting it now.
    Most people must had faced this because they dropped their phones before which made the belt to move and hence the loose contacts inside. If not then, there are high chances that you bought it from someone or somewhere who had dropped it before!

Well that's it! Also, don't freak out in having to open the phone. You should just go to the step till the fifth picture. Which is very easily achievable!

Go, have fun with your WORKING speakers now! :)
    Can somebody help me with getting the ribbon out?... I am not able to get the ribbon out :( ..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I pulled the speaker/vibration component up from the right side after removing the screw. The component is attached to the mainboard by little tabs that snap into place. Pulling up from the right (top right as to not overly stress the ribbon) gently should dislodge the component. ....The ribbon is held in the seat by the little clip on the opposite end of where the ribbon goes in. Flip up the clip (it is hinged) gently using a fingernail or similar. That will free the ribbon. ..Then just reinsert the ribbon and keep slight pressure on it while pushing the clip back down into place.

It worked for me on a few cappys.
    The Foundling and our JOURNEY

It was a dewy July morning in 2011 when I found this Captivate SGH-I896 laying in the grass. Poor thing...I had to find its owner. I went to the Rogers store, reluctantly putting the foundling in their hands. They asked me to wait and they searched. "'Nothing we can do. It's all yours."
    And so our JOURNEY began. (What is this lovely thing and how does it work?)
    Google...YouTube...more Google...and xda? I kept ending up at this xda site.
    I've been lurking here for nearly a year, so here I am - a new member...and a NOOB. Nope, I don't hate myself, in fact I'm quite proud of myself for learning so much about this android, how it works and best of all - fixing it.
    We've been through a lot together, from Froyo to Gingerbread, from bootloops and shutting down to just fine. Yesterday? I took my precious apart and fixed the speaker. It's not always a bad thing, to have a screw lose!
    A huge thank-you to all of you here at xda and guiding me on this incredible journey. (Who knows how far it will take me?) :victory:
    Check back in a day or two. A couple hours of a fixed speaker doesn't impress me...been there done that. But I did fix mine tho.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium