Here's how to disable the start up and shut down sounds

Search This thread

NM

Nov 11, 2013
Paris
www.tutoriels-android.com
This may be common knowledge to all, but in case it is not:

1) To disable the start up sound, in the /etc directory, rename the file PowerOn.wav to PowerOn.wav.bak.

2) To disable the shutdown sound, in the /system/media/audio/ui directory, rename shutdown.ogg to shutdown.ogg.bak.

I did this using a rooted phone with ADB. I am sure there may be an easier way if someone would like to provide further instructions regarding this.

I hope this info helps someone, those sounds very super-loud and annoying! If this info is available elsewhere, let me know and I will remove this post.

Many thanks for this tip... Except that on my N7105, the situation is a little bit different : I have no shutdown sound... Only an annoying start up sound... And to get rid of it, I had to go to the /system/media/audio/ui directory and rename PowerOn.ogg into PowerOn.ogg.bak... At last... ;)

q_dmc12

Jan 16, 2015
Renamed file extension, still plays

I have read many forums and tutorials on how to disable the startup song on my Captivate, they all say pretty much the same thing. I have renamed my PowerOn.wav to PowerOn.wav.bak in the /etc directory yet it still plays on boot. Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

NM

Nov 11, 2013
Paris
www.tutoriels-android.com

q_dmc12

Jan 16, 2015
Honestly, one more app running in the background isn't really what my phone needs, if anything I'd like a peek at it's source code to see exactly what's going on. I feel there must be another location where the bootup audio file is stored or perhaps a different format. Another thing that's odd, I can't seem to find the same file that's playing at boot (when I try opening the "PowerOn.wav" in a music player I get a couple moments of silence, then the wav is over. I have also given a listen to "1_Power_on.ogg" and this sound is similar but not the same and not as long as the song that I hear when I turn-on the phone). Even a config file would be helpful at this point... As I write this I'm exploring the /etc folder and found the script file, "init.golfish.sh" which makes mention of a line of code to disable boot animation "for a faster boot sequence when needed". If there is a similar file for disabling or perhaps even changing the bootup song that would be great.
I'll give Silent Boot a look.

Last edited:

Allmystical1

Jan 13, 2015

1) To disable the start up sound, in the /etc directory, rename the file PowerOn.wav to PowerOn.wav.bak.

2) To disable the shutdown sound, in the /system/media/audio/ui directory, rename shutdown.ogg to shutdown.ogg.bak.

I did this using a rooted phone with ADB. I am sure there may be an easier way if someone would like to provide further instructions regarding this.

I hope this info helps someone, those sounds very super-loud and annoying! If this info is available elsewhere, let me know and I will remove this post.

How is this done on a phone that's not rooted? Each time I try to root my phone, it reverts back from 4.0.4 to 2.3.5, so I gave up... :confused:

valader

Dec 15, 2014
Cubit gt90

On my wife's cubot gt90,via a root browser I choose the system folder and then in then in the media folder, I deleted the the boot sound.

Last edited:

mackmobile43

Jan 3, 2016
There's an app for that

Sounds great! Thanks for the tip.

Also, for those that do wish to have startup/shutdown sounds: Rename your favorite sound in the same format as the file you will be replacing and you should have new sounds.

Since we have a lot of Noobs here (no derogatory intent as I was once a noob as well) here is a little bit better explanation:

Startup sound: locate the sound file you want played, convert it to a .wav file format, rename the file to "PowerOn.wav" and remove the original/replace it with your new file.

Shutdown sound: The same above - but the sound file must be in the .ogg file format and needs to be renamed "shutdown.ogg"

The location of the two files can be found in the above post.

RaniKheir

Jul 19, 2016
Worked well with me! Thanks!

Found this thread through Google, but I did it on my rooted S4 Lollipop, here's what I did:

1. Installed Root Browser
  2. Opened it > asked me to download utilities, I said 'No' (for now)
  3. Navigated to: system > media > audio > ui
  4. Long pressed PowerOn.ogg
  5. Rename > PowerOn.ogg.test
  6. Granted Root permision
  7. Restarted device to confirm

Reactions: gh-thomas

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Or, if you go to settings>sound and display>system volume you can turn the volume all the way down, which effectively mutes the start up/shut down sounds. No need for root or anything like that.
    Startup Video

The Bars video is located at /system/media/bootsamsung.qmg

Renaming this kills both the bars and the Samsung startup
    I renamed the bootsamsung.qmg file and booted, but it doesn't seem to come up any faster.

I think you can change the shutdown video by adding custom PNG files in the /system/media/video/shutdown folder, but I haven't tested yet...i'm trying to figure out what I was going to do for the video (has to be 14 PNG files...or 14 of them all named the same thing).

I'll be testing soon and letting you know if this works.

EDIT: SUCCESS!!!

I was able to create 14 PNG images and copy them from my SDcard to the /system/media/video/shutdown folder and now I have a new shutdown video...anyone have a sight I could upload the new shutdown PNG files too? I have a couple different ones I created...really basic, but a little nicer than the T-mobile default one.

EDIT...AGAIN: And the new shutdown video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t83uQZqAPDw
    Worked well with me! Thanks!

Found this thread through Google, but I did it on my rooted S4 Lollipop, here's what I did:

1. Installed Root Browser
    2. Opened it > asked me to download utilities, I said 'No' (for now)
    3. Navigated to: system > media > audio > ui
    4. Long pressed PowerOn.ogg
    5. Rename > PowerOn.ogg.test
    6. Granted Root permision
    7. Restarted device to confirm