FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

And Fairphone?

162 posts
Thanks Meter: 32
 
By Deedend, Senior Member on 17th May 2013, 09:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th June 2013, 01:06 PM |#31  
DozerD's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
As per now, 6,554 phones have been sold. Fairphone has definitively picked up momentum.

Let's hope the sales number as well as the thousands of likes for Fairphone are a good indication that a brand new community is rising. I think they must be.

Which would mean that more and more people will find their way to this thread and forum too, in the coming months, while all at Fairphone work their hardest to produce the first batch of 20,000 around August/September, and in the weeks and months after that, when the candy find its way to all first buyers and fans.

For a short while it may become a bit more quiet. A few last specs will have to be determined, and than that's that, I guess. All the rest of the proof of the pudding will of course be in the eating. I can't wait for first impressions.

I too will keep following all Fairphone news closely, hoping that the real devs (which I am not, unfortunately) manage to push this special project to new limits, and keep inspiring happy users like myself to humbly spread the word

For now I'm sort of surrendering to summer recess. But CU all later!

- Tapatalked from Platform I9000, JB 4.2.2, on Mackay Rom & kernel, baseband I9000XXJVT, powered by PolarCell at 1800 mAh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DozerD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DozerD Ad-Free
 
 
11th June 2013, 01:51 PM |#32  
Deedend's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 32
 
More
Great goal for Fairphone.. I hope now to semptember/october they can achieve the next goal of 20.000 unit sell. I am waiting for my Fairphone (nr. #1203) now.
12th June 2013, 06:34 PM |#33  
the.lirius's Avatar
Member
Flag turin
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
In the end i've made my choice and ordered a fairphone
mine is number 7359 and I've placed my order yesterday.. now the counter is at 8241
but the best thing is that it was 8235 a sew secs ago!!

are we going to hit 10k before tomorrow night?
not really shure about it, but ehi it's already near the double needed to start this
The Following User Says Thank You to the.lirius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the.lirius Ad-Free
16th June 2013, 04:30 AM |#34  
benkxda's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,679
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedend

Great goal for Fairphone.. I hope now to semptember/october they can achieve the next goal of 20.000 unit sell. I am waiting for my Fairphone (nr. #1203) now.

Hi Deedend, I know about that project and I am very happy about the try to get a "fair phone". It's a first step which all manufacturer should follow. The device is not high end, but as I believe after seeing the ability of the built in SoC (not all facts are out there) in some benchmarks, I think it can beat our beloved Galaxy Nexus.

However, this projects aims another goal than winning speed tests. I like it, my brother ordered one as well. Maybe we should ask for a separate forum when it is sent to its customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.lirius

In the end i've made my choice and ordered a fairphone
mine is number 7359 and I've placed my order yesterday.. now the counter is at 8241
but the best thing is that it was 8235 a sew secs ago!!

are we going to hit 10k before tomorrow night?
not really shure about it, but ehi it's already near the double needed to start this

Currently, we are at 9440 ordered Fairphones. I hope this project, located in Netherland, home of some wonderful people like @Chainfire, will be a success and can go on with further products teaching the big ones like Asus, HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony... and others.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
22nd June 2013, 12:43 PM |#35  
benkxda's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,679
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

Hi Deedend, I know about that project and I am very happy about the try to get a "fair phone". It's a first step which all manufacturer should follow. The device is not high end, but as I believe after seeing the ability of the built in SoC (not all facts are out there) in some benchmarks, I think it can beat our beloved Galaxy Nexus.

However, this projects aims another goal than winning speed tests. I like it, my brother ordered one as well. Maybe we should ask for a separate forum when it is sent to its customers.



Currently, we are at 9440 ordered Fairphones. I hope this project, located in Netherland, home of some wonderful people like @Chainfire, will be a success and can go on with further products teaching the big ones like Asus, HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony... and others.

Just to mention, now they sold 10,035 phones, that's slightly more than 50%.
The Following User Says Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
12th July 2013, 09:31 AM |#36  
Deedend's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 32
 
More
Quote:

We have decided to go for increased mechanical reliability. By separating the Dragontrail tempered glass (top layer) from the glass on the touch panel (bottom layer), the likelihood that the glass will break is minimal. And if it does, you'll still be able to use your touch panel. As a consequence, the phone will be 5 grams heavier and 0.2 mm (this is only one fifth of a milimeter) thicker.

They have changed the screen type and will collaborate with iFixit to improve the "repairability" of the phone... Very interesting point for me!
The Following User Says Thank You to Deedend For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Deedend Ad-Free
12th July 2013, 03:30 PM |#37  
DozerD's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
Saw this too. Good news. Most of all a great example of how intended ownership of products is to be achieved.

Hopefully repairability will equally apply to the hardware buttons on this phone.

Furthermore I've been wondering what quality photos this camera will be capable of. Anyone have any idea what to expect?

For lack of further specifications I could not retrieve benchmarks and such for this particular part of the Fairphone project.

(Regarding the quad-core chipset I could, fortunately, and I found that it does a fine job in many low and middle end Chinaphones already, as well as in at least one Acer phone with a favorable review.)

- Tapatalked from Platform I9000, JB 4.2.2, on Mackay Rom & kernel, baseband I9000XXJVT, powered by PolarCell at 1800 mAh
The Following User Says Thank You to DozerD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DozerD Ad-Free
12th July 2013, 04:16 PM |#38  
benkxda's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,679
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerD

Saw this too. Good news. Most of all a great example of how intended ownership of products is to be achieved.

Hopefully repairability will equally apply to the hardware buttons on this phone.

Furthermore I've been wondering what quality photos this camera will be capable of. Anyone have any idea what to expect?

For lack of further specifications I could not retrieve benchmarks and such for this particular part of the Fairphone project.

(Regarding the quad-core chipset I could, fortunately, and I found that it does a fine job in many low and middle end Chinaphones already, as well as in at least one Acer phone with a favorable review.)

- Tapatalked from Platform I9000, JB 4.2.2, on Mackay Rom & kernel, baseband I9000XXJVT, powered by PolarCell at 1800 mAh

Oh yes, indeed. My aged Galaxy Nexus is probably slower than this Fairphone, so not so bad, also the battery can last longer than on the Gnex, but compared to the also "old" Galaxy S3 LTE, the Fairphone is way slower. Ok, there are no benchmarks out now, but the SoC benchmarks available in the internet might show up an accurate result. My brother bought one, so, I can provide you with all benchmarks, if he gets it.
The Following User Says Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
13th July 2013, 12:15 PM |#39  
DozerD's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

Oh yes, indeed. My aged Galaxy Nexus is probably slower than this Fairphone, so not so bad, also the battery can last longer than on the Gnex, but compared to the also "old" Galaxy S3 LTE, the Fairphone is way slower. Ok, there are no benchmarks out now, but the SoC benchmarks available in the internet might show up an accurate result. My brother bought one, so, I can provide you with all benchmarks, if he gets it.

Thanks for your help in 'benchmarking' It does help. Made me check out what has been reported about the Galaxy Nexus. Totally acceptable playing field for me with regards to SoC performances.

Question marks about the level of photography and video capabilities still remain, although I can't imagine them to be too poor for an unpretentious amateur in those fields, such as myself.

Just wishing to be able to occasionally produce pictures (the lucky shots we all can make from time to time) that still look good on a bigger screen, or perhaps even framed on the wall at a reasonable size, resolutionwise.

And as for video, I would be asking for acceptable colors, acceptable resolution, and an unhindered capability, chipwise, to process video shooting without frequent hiccups for no apparent reason (as if I were answering a Skype call right in the middle, or something like that ).

Your comparison and the known G Nexus benchmarks seem to suggest that this Fairphone would indeed be able to deliver as much as this...

Do you still agree? Or would you as a tester definitively suggest I wait until others have had the chance to test this for me?

Cheers!

- Tapatalked from Platform I9000, JB 4.2.2, on Mackay Rom & kernel, baseband I9000XXJVT, powered by PolarCell at 1800 mAh
13th July 2013, 02:54 PM |#40  
benkxda's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,679
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerD

Thanks for your help in 'benchmarking' It does help. Made me check out what has been reported about the Galaxy Nexus. Totally acceptable playing field for me with regards to SoC performances.

Question marks about the level of photography and video capabilities still remain, although I can't imagine them to be too poor for an unpretentious amateur in those fields, such as myself.

Just wishing to be able to occasionally produce pictures (the lucky shots we all can make from time to time) that still look good on a bigger screen, or perhaps even framed on the wall at a reasonable size, resolutionwise.

And as for video, I would be asking for acceptable colors, acceptable resolution, and an unhindered capability, chipwise, to process video shooting without frequent hiccupsfor no apparent reason (as if I were answering a Skype call right in the middle, or something like that ).

Your comparison and the known G Nexus benchmarks seem to suggest that this Fairphone would indeed be able to deliver as much as this...

Do you still agree? Or would you as a tester definitively suggest I wait until others have had the chance to test ask this for me?

- Tapatalked from Platform I9000, JB 4.2.2, on Mackay Rom & kernel, baseband I9000XXJVT, powered by PolarCell at 1800 mAh

First of all, I really appreciate, that even on the "tech center" of mobile smart devices, here on XDA, there are a few guys interested in a mid range, but (mostly) FAIR built phone. I hope the big manufacturers will follow a more fair resource gathering.

I started a technical details page on XDA, where you can find some benchmarks. Ok, there is no Fairphone available yet, but the other benchmarks available with this SoC should be very close to the Fairphones results. As you can see, it beats the Gnex definitely in the benchmarks (mostly Antutu) and - believe me - the Gnex gets quite warm very fast. My Gnex at 1.4 GHz has no chance, Antutu is below 10.000.
Maybe you find better information, I would like to integrate it there, thanks.

Fairphone - The Technical Details And Links (WIP)
The Following User Says Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
13th July 2013, 04:27 PM |#41  
DozerD's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

First of all, I really appreciate, that even on the "tech center" of mobile smart devices, here on XDA, there are a few guys interested in a mid range, but (mostly) FAIR built phone. I hope the big manufacturers will follow a more fair resource gathering.

I started a technical details page on XDA, where you can find some benchmarks. Ok, there is no Fairphone available yet, but the other benchmarks available with this SoC should be very close to the Fairphones results. As you can see, it beats the Gnex definitely in the benchmarks (mostly Antutu) and - believe me - the Gnex gets quite warm very fast. My Gnex at 1.4 GHz has no chance, Antutu is below 10.000.
Maybe you find better information, I would like to integrate it there, thanks.

Fairphone - The Technical Details And Links (WIP)

Wow - that is an impressive effort! Hopefully others will be able to join in and add further useful stuff. On behalf of anyone truly interested in Fairphone, thanks!

And now I'm going over to your newly added page as linked above and read up :thumbup:

- Tapatalked from Platform I9000, JB 4.2.2, on Mackay Rom & kernel, baseband I9000XXJVT, powered by PolarCell at 1800 mAh
The Following User Says Thank You to DozerD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DozerD Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes