FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Fairphone?

I already own a Fairphone (FP).

46 Vote(s)
86.79%
I ordered or consider to buy a FP.

5 Vote(s)
9.43%
No FP for me yet, but the idea is interesting.

2 Vote(s)
3.77%
Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

0 Vote(s)
0%

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

1,148 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,679

By benkxda, Senior Member on 13th July 2013, 02:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th December 2013, 06:27 PM |#91  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hey guys! Sorry for the noob question. I ordered 2 fp, one for me and one for my sister who is going to live in Indonesia the next couple of month. So now the question arises whether the phone will work with Indonesia with a local sim and a German one?
Hope you can help me on this and thanks in advance!

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

9th December 2013, 12:25 AM |#92  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildenhain

Hello Kim,

thanks for the Apps, but for porting an alternative OS to the Fairphone some other software would be more useful: A linux kernel for the fairphone (including all necessary modules and patches if necessary), a bootloader and some kind of tool to flash the phone with a new OS. Will those also be provided?

Regards,
Benedikt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBarto1984

Hey guys! Sorry for the noob question. I ordered 2 fp, one for me and one for my sister who is going to live in Indonesia the next couple of month. So now the question arises whether the phone will work with Indonesia with a local sim and a German one?

@KimHansenDenmark and @joemier, if you have some spare time, please provide answers to @bwildenhain and @ElBarto1984. Thank you.
9th December 2013, 01:53 PM |#93  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Great article of Replicant about Fairphone!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deedend For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Deedend Ad-Free
10th December 2013, 03:33 PM |#94  
Flag Lisbon
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:

Hello Kim,

thanks for the Apps, but for porting an alternative OS to the Fairphone some other software would be more useful: A linux kernel for the fairphone (including all necessary modules and patches if necessary), a bootloader and some kind of tool to flash the phone with a new OS. Will those also be provided?

Regards,
Benedikt

Hi Benedikt,

Unfortunately it is not possible to share the bootloader and linux kernel as they are from MediaTek. We are dependent on them releasing them or changing their license.

I hope they change their licensing policy in the near future.

Best,
Kim

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBarto1984

Hi ElBarto1984,

The dual sim cards should work independently of the country.

Best,
Kim
10th December 2013, 05:00 PM |#95  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimHansenDenmark

Hi Benedikt,

Unfortunately it is not possible to share the bootloader and linux kernel as they are from MediaTek. We are dependent on them releasing them or changing their license.

I hope they change their licensing policy in the near future.

Best,
Kim

Hi Kim,

How will it then be possible to run Cyanogenmod or Firefox OS, when the developers do not get the needed driver code?
Second Question:
Will there directly be an updat to Android 4.4 in January, after it's more then 4 weeks after the official update?

Kind regards

Haiag
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haiag For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift haiag Ad-Free
10th December 2013, 07:59 PM |#96  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiag

Will there directly be an updat to Android 4.4 in January, after it's more then 4 weeks after the official update?

My question is, will you work with the community on the update, e.g. send out alphas for users and developers to test and help with development? I always had the dream that some company would do that haha. At least some have employees who participate in the forums here
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unrelashade For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Unrelashade Ad-Free
11th December 2013, 04:30 PM |#97  
Flag Lisbon
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrelashade

My question is, will you work with the community on the update, e.g. send out alphas for users and developers to test and help with development? I always had the dream that some company would do that haha. At least some have employees who participate in the forums here

Hi Unrelashade,

We will work directly on the GitHub repository from now on, so anyone can follow the progress and get the latest code. We welcome contributions from the community.

In regards to the KitKat version, our plan is to get it out as fast as possible, hopefully in January. However, this is not a promise as there are several dependencies that we have to deal with.

Best,
Kim
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KimHansenDenmark For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KimHansenDenmark Ad-Free
13th December 2013, 07:52 PM |#98  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Source code
Hi,

meaningwhile I searched a little bit the net and found that the sourcecode for Android 4.2 on mt6589 has already been published: www DOT etdroid.org/shanzhai/2013/04/16/acer-releases-mt6589-kernel-source-ahead-of-liquid-e2-launch/
Also the source of Android 4.1.2 has been published for several phones: www DOT hacktohell.org/2013/07/mediatek-mt6589-complete-source.html

Quote:

Hi Benedikt,

So at least some customers of Mediatek received the sourcecode and published the code. Because the fact, that the GNU GPL is the licence of Linux and U-Boot (the bootloader probably used by the fairphone), Mediatek cannot disallow you to redistribute the source code (while you should include a written offer to give the source with the Fairphone , see gpl-violations.org/faq/vendor-faq.html).

Regards,
Benedikt

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Hi,

I just saw the Fairphone repository on github now includes the over-the-air-update-tool, which looks for a new system image at kwamecorp.com/dev/latest.zip, which currently points to kwamecorp.com/dev/W20_HL_OTA20131114.zip, so if you want to take a look an the image, it's there

Regards,
Benedikt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bwildenhain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bwildenhain Ad-Free
14th December 2013, 01:20 AM |#99  
Thanks Meter: 103

More
Question
Quote:

Unfortunately it is not possible to share the bootloader and linux kernel as they are from MediaTek.
We are dependent on them releasing them or changing their license.

This is actually really disillusioning. In nearly every tech news the Fairphone was presented as smartphone with open bootloader. Fairphone itself was unfortunately really close-minded concerning these points. They never explained what "rootable" really means.

The FAQ on fairphone.com states that the users "can decide for themselves which operating system they want to install after some hard coding."
I'm not (yet) an expert in these things. But am I right that the Fairphone will not fulfill this statement? Or can you explain what is meant by "some hard coding" and "rootable"?

After reading some critical comments here and here I'm really unsure. I ordered a Fairphone believing it would be indeed possible to decide for myself and not being dependent on the releases of FairphoneOS. If I was wrong in this point – and at the moment it looks that way – I will cancel my order.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bastei For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bastei Ad-Free
14th December 2013, 09:20 AM |#100  
Flag turin
Thanks Meter: 24

More
i totally agree with #bastei
we trusted and financed your company and project but turns out that you were not trustable....

hope you will find quickily a solution for this because it is a major issue.

i will try to delete my order too

isn't this misleading advertising?!

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus utilizzando Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the.lirius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the.lirius Ad-Free
14th December 2013, 06:56 PM |#101  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Hi,

meaningwhile I searched a little bit the net and found that the sourcecode for Android 4.2 on mt6589 has already been published: www DOT etdroid.org/shanzhai/2013/04/16/acer-releases-mt6589-kernel-source-ahead-of-liquid-e2-launch/
Also the source of Android 4.1.2 has been published for several phones: www DOT hacktohell.org/2013/07/mediatek-mt6589-complete-source.html

So at least some customers of Mediatek received the sourcecode and published the code. Because the fact, that the GNU GPL is the licence of Linux and U-Boot (the bootloader probably used by the fairphone), Mediatek cannot disallow you to redistribute the source code (while you should include a written offer to give the source with the Fairphone , see gpl-violations.org/faq/vendor-faq.html).

Regards,
Benedikt

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Hi,

I just saw the Fairphone repository on github now includes the over-the-air-update-tool, which looks for a new system image at kwamecorp.com/dev/latest.zip, which currently points to kwamecorp.com/dev/W20_HL_OTA20131114.zip, so if you want to take a look an the image, it's there

Regards,
Benedikt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastei

This is actually really disillusioning. In nearly every tech news the Fairphone was presented as smartphone with open bootloader. Fairphone itself was unfortunately really close-minded concerning these points. They never explained what "rootable" really means.

The FAQ on fairphone.com states that the users "can decide for themselves which operating system they want to install after some hard coding."
I'm not (yet) an expert in these things. But am I right that the Fairphone will not fulfill this statement? Or can you explain what is meant by "some hard coding" and "rootable"?

After reading some critical comments here and here I'm really unsure. I ordered a Fairphone believing it would be indeed possible to decide for myself and not being dependent on the releases of FairphoneOS. If I was wrong in this point – and at the moment it looks that way – I will cancel my order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.lirius

i totally agree with #bastei
we trusted and financed your company and project but turns out that you were not trustable....

hope you will find quickily a solution for this because it is a major issue.

i will try to delete my order too

isn't this misleading advertising?!

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus utilizzando Tapatalk

Hey guys,

I also read the FAQs and found this sentence: "We are launching the phone with root access for the user (rootable), so they can decide for themselves which operating system they want to install after some hard coding."
After reading this, I would think about a switch in the security settings. And if I click that switch, let's call it "root access", than I have root access to the device. If it's not like this or smiliar to this, I see a big problem. And of course, if there is no open source, it will be hard to get a great community working on Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch or anything else.
In short and harsh: No source, no developers.

But I still believe, that Fariphone and Kwame really try to do their best to not only get a almost fair device, but also an open devices as good as possible. We can reject Fairphone or we try to help those guys. I think, the second way is the better one. Fairphone is not Samsung, so no anti-customer-rules like region lock, e-fuse or other bull**** included. This is a company, which can become a good manufacturer for phones, tablets and other wearables.

Thanks to @bwildenhain, @bastei and @the.lirius for your comments. I hope I can see more of those critical comments because they can be helpful. And I hope, Fairphone and Kwame will do their best to keep customers happy and developers motivated. It's up to them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)