What's Open Recovery....

openrcvr112d.png

New super user app

attachment.php

MOD EDIT (dsixda): Updated instructions follow -

Instructions

Requirements:
  • Motorola Milestone with Android 2.0 or higher
  • If you have a Milestone with Android 2.1 or higher OR you have a Telus Milestone (with Android 2.0.1 or higher), then follow these steps to ensure you have downgraded to the vulnerable recovery with exploit (thanks to Ireas for these instructions):
    1. For this we need a Only-Recovery SBF file which we can flash via RSD Lite
    2. First install the USB drivers from Motorola
    3. Then you need the RSD Lite Tool | Linux machines can use the linux flasher (created by [mbm])
    4. And the Recovery-Only SBF (which will downgrade the Recovery Partition and not the system)
    5. Start the RSD Lite, select the SBF file
    6. Plug in your phone (while it's off)
    7. Go into the Bootloader Mode by holding UP (on the hardware keyboard) and press Power-On for 2-3 seconds
    8. Now select your phone which should be now visible in the RSD Lite tool
    9. Press Start
    10. The phone will reboot 1-3 times during the downgrade process. DO NOT unplug it

Usage:
  1. Download Open Recovery (choose one):
  2. Extract the contents to the root of your SD card.
  3. Reboot your phone into recovery menu:
    1. Turn off phone
    2. Press Camera button, then press Power. Hold them both till you see recovery screen. (If this doesn't work, open the keyboard and try X + Power)
    3. Press Volume Up and Camera button at the same time till you see the recovery menu.
    4. NOTE: If you get an error about "EOCD Marker" at this point, that means you did not flash the vulnerable recovery properly. Go back to previous section, re-flash vulnerable recovery with RSD Lite, and after it reboots, turn off the system. Keep the USB plugged in to the PC. Turn it on again while holding down the keyboard Up key. RSD Lite should now indicate "PASS".
  4. Apply the update.zip
  5. You are now in Open Recovery. You can now root the phone, do Nandroid backup/restore etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: knightrider64

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
So the only prerequisite is to have a vulnerable recovery image on your Milestone before using this, correct?

Masterchief14

Jun 8, 2010
Root, Recovery

Hi guys

i dont get this work, i'm trying it for hours without success.

my errror is as follow:
when i start open recovery:

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

then when i try to apply the update.zip

--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I have the german miltestone from o2 version 2.1

Maybe you can give me a hint.
or what would be much better ;-) if you can give me a exact explanatian what i have to do. (I wana make a backup first and the update to root)

pls help me :(

thx masterchief14

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Hi guys

i dont get this work, i'm trying it for hours without success.

my errror is as follow:
when i start open recovery:

--Install from sdcard...
Installation aborted.

I have the german miltestone from o2 version 2.1

Maybe you can give me a hint.
or what would be much better ;-) if you can give me a exact explanatian what i have to do. (I wana make a backup first and the update to root)

pls help me :(

thx masterchief14

Have you flashed the vulnerable recovery SBF? This will not do anything to your phone or your data other than make it receptive to the update.zip file. Next, you go into Open Recovery which should work this time, and do your backup before trying to root.

CommanderThor

Jan 22, 2009
Ljubljana
As far as i know 2.1 does NOT have vulnarable recovery for this to work, so you will first need to replace recovery with vulnarable one, you have it all in first post.

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Thanks to the original poster and to adendum. I have stickied this thread. Hope you don't mind the edits, I'm just making it easier to follow for newbies :)

Masterchief14

Jun 8, 2010
Have you flashed the vulnerable recovery SBF? This will not do anything to your phone or your data other than make it receptive to the update.zip file. Next, you go into Open Recovery which should work this time, and do your backup before trying to root.

Thank you very much i will try to flash my phone as in the instruction above.

lg

Azrael24

Oct 23, 2007
thanks for the guide, iamdarren -

but being an original owner of a Telus Milestone which had the 2.0.1 (or whatever it was ver) I managed to update it to 2.0.1 brazilian version from a 2.1 update post awhile ago - it doesn't work.

I'm getting the error:

--Install from sdcard...
Installation aborted.

I have flashed the vulnerable recovery SBF clearly outlined in the guide, and went off without a hitch. Applying update.zip fails still. I have been trying to get root access to this sob for quite some time and I'm losing my marbles here.

Does anyone have any other suggestion why for some of us this error persists?

Thanks guys.

Az

Calgary
Proud Telus Milestone Owner

Last edited:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
thanks for the guide, iamdarren -

but being an original owner of a Telus Milestone which had the 2.0.1 (or whatever it was ver) I managed to update it to 2.0.1 brazilian version from a 2.1 update post awhile ago - it doesn't work.

I'm getting the error:

--Install from sdcard...
Installation aborted.

I have flashed the vulnerable recovery SBF clearly outlined in the guide, and went off without a hitch. Applying update.zip fails still. I have been trying to get root access to this sob for quite some time and I'm losing my marbles here.

Does anyone have any other suggestion why for some of us this error persists?

Thanks guys.

Az

Calgary
Proud Telus Milestone Owner

Try flashing the the Telus 2.1 shipped ROM first (from the Motorola site), then flash the vulnerable recovery again, and then flash the new update.zip.

Azrael24

Oct 23, 2007
Try flashing the the Telus 2.1 shipped ROM first (from the Motorola site), then flash the vulnerable recovery again, and then flash the new update.zip.

ugh...tried that, and states:

"There is no software update currently available for your mobile device. Please check back for new releases."

I'm unable to find a SPF file from the Motorolla site. Any other suggestion for a SPF I can try? :]

Azrael24

Oct 23, 2007
For those who are having trouble with update.zip

gah! finally......

I've been reading and tweaking with my telus milestone phone for far too long, and have found the solution, but I can't post link to site, this place won't let me. Any suggestions?

Masterchief14

Jun 8, 2010
hi guys

from where do i get the superuser permissions app and does anyone have working roms.

and very stupid question: i knew that root is for stuff like roms(instructions would be nice ;)) and overclock system but what can i do else wiht it.

pls help

i will decide after that whether i root my milestone or not

iamdata

Jun 2, 2008
hi guys

from where do i get the superuser permissions app and does anyone have working roms.

and very stupid question: i knew that root is for stuff like roms(instructions would be nice ;)) and overclock system but what can i do else wiht it.

pls help

i will decide after that whether i root my milestone or not

Things i use root for...
reset widget
terminal
root explorer
ADfree
WIFI teather
titanium backup
Over clock

if you go to market and type ROOT, you will get a whole list of other apps.

77cats

May 30, 2010
Bournemouth
Easy to follow and to install. Thanks!

Just a question about the Super user app: I installed it (APK from /sdcard/OpenRecovery/root) but it shows nothing. Is there something else to do?

Last edited:

H4s1

Aug 25, 2006
Vöcklabruck
picarea.pi.funpic.de
Hy i have the following problem

if i open the Android system recovery and apply the update.zip

following error comes up:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard...
Opening udate package...
Verifying update package
Installation aborted.

I've done all the following stepts from Post 1. What I am doing wrong?

My specs: Motorola Milestone 2.1
Provider: A1 Austria

adendum

Sep 29, 2009
.de
Motorola RAZR i
Google Nexus 4
Hy i have the following problem

if i open the Android system recovery and apply the update.zip

following error comes up:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard...
Opening udate package...
Verifying update package
Installation aborted.

I've done all the following stepts from Post 1. What I am doing wrong?

My specs: Motorola Milestone 2.1
Provider: A1 Austria
I'm sorry, but are you sure that you flashed the vulrnable 2.0.1 recovery sbf? Since you _do_ have an android 2.1-update1 installed : )

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What's Open Recovery....

openrcvr112d.png

New super user app

attachment.php

MOD EDIT (dsixda): Updated instructions follow -

Instructions

Requirements:
    • Motorola Milestone with Android 2.0 or higher
    • If you have a Milestone with Android 2.1 or higher OR you have a Telus Milestone (with Android 2.0.1 or higher), then follow these steps to ensure you have downgraded to the vulnerable recovery with exploit (thanks to Ireas for these instructions):
      1. For this we need a Only-Recovery SBF file which we can flash via RSD Lite
      2. First install the USB drivers from Motorola
      3. Then you need the RSD Lite Tool | Linux machines can use the linux flasher (created by [mbm])
      4. And the Recovery-Only SBF (which will downgrade the Recovery Partition and not the system)
      5. Start the RSD Lite, select the SBF file
      6. Plug in your phone (while it's off)
      7. Go into the Bootloader Mode by holding UP (on the hardware keyboard) and press Power-On for 2-3 seconds
      8. Now select your phone which should be now visible in the RSD Lite tool
      9. Press Start
      10. The phone will reboot 1-3 times during the downgrade process. DO NOT unplug it

Usage:
    1. Download Open Recovery (choose one):
    2. Extract the contents to the root of your SD card.
    3. Reboot your phone into recovery menu:
      1. Turn off phone
      2. Press Camera button, then press Power. Hold them both till you see recovery screen. (If this doesn't work, open the keyboard and try X + Power)
      3. Press Volume Up and Camera button at the same time till you see the recovery menu.
      4. NOTE: If you get an error about "EOCD Marker" at this point, that means you did not flash the vulnerable recovery properly. Go back to previous section, re-flash vulnerable recovery with RSD Lite, and after it reboots, turn off the system. Keep the USB plugged in to the PC. Turn it on again while holding down the keyboard Up key. RSD Lite should now indicate "PASS".
    4. Apply the update.zip
    5. You are now in Open Recovery. You can now root the phone, do Nandroid backup/restore etc.
    links are dead.
    Hi !
    First of all thanks for the great tutorials in this great community! I´ve already rooted and customized various HTC´s and I´m very happy with them =) Thanks alot for your great work down there!
    But since yesterday i´ve got a problem i can´t handle:
    Bought me a milestone with 2.1 update 1 (with regular manual installed update from the previous owner) and i´m simply not able to use, or root it via open recovery. After flashing the vulnerable sbf via rsd (while doing that i have to repower manually through power + up key while the phone is disconnected) rsd shows me pass. I reboot into recovery, but still got that eocd error which makes it impossible for me to get into openrecovery. I managed to root the milestone via 1 click app, but i´d like to do a nandroid backup what is not possible using rom manager.
    Any suggestions ?
    May i try to downgrade to a non service 2.0 sbf ?

Thanks for your help

http://android.doshaska.net/rootable

Have tried this one?

You may have a version of 2.1 that automatically reflashes stock recovery when you're not looking. There's info on fixing that.
    Alright then, it shouldn't be that bad to get it up an running. The hardest part is flashing the VR and getting AOR running. After that it's all a piece of cake :D