[Q] SGS Problem That Nobody Can Fix?

Search This thread

peterg123

Oct 28, 2010
The main Samsung Approved Service Center here in Kenya has just given up on my SGS 1900 UK Model Nov 2010, originally 2.1 firmware upgrade via KIES to Froyo 2.21 in March 2011. They have handed it back unfixed after a week. Cant find a problem like this on any forum/google. Can find one that is fixable with the resistor jig, but Samsung dealer says his jigs don't help:

1) Press power, on comes B&W Samsung GT I900 screen, then the mosaic graphic that resolves to the glowing big "S". Then it buzzes feebly. Eventually it goes black but keeps buzzing now and then. Power off works.

If you poke around trying to get it into 3 touch reset, the Menu and Back keys light up and stay lit.

2) 3 Touch reset will not work. Dunno if it ever did as never tried before.

3) Plug into USB charger, it charges fine and shows the charger icon.

4) Plug into KIES and after a lot of attempts, KIES identifies it + firmware and connects. I can see and save my contacts and it displays CONTACTS, INTERNAL SD and CALENDAR folders in KIES. No more

5) ODIN ( which I dunno how 2 use but have) sees the SGS's COM when I plug it to my comp.

6) The dealer claims to have tried to resart/reflash with Samsung jigs. He has handed it back with a "cant fix".

What the heck is going on here? Looks like I have lost a few hundred bucks and have to throw it away.

When did this start? Phone was working perfectly. Suddenly a solid red icon with large white star labelled "Web Page" appeared on home page but no such App was found in SETTINGS>ETC. In any case, "Web Page" just led me to a totally innocuous page I use all the time as a homepage on INTERNET app. A few starts and shutdowns after that ( the battery was getting low so swx'd on and off like 3 times over an hour), it just went into (1) above.

Phone is STOCK, no mods, no reflashes,no rooting etc

Thanks

Peter in Darkest Africa:eek::eek::eek:

frostygenius

Mar 3, 2010
Lahore
if odin can 'see' you handset, have you tried flashing the ROM again? find a stock froyo rom from one of the threads here in the general section (click here) or download from samfirmware.com .

Once you have the rom files, kill all the KIES tasks using the task-manager in windows. Get your phone into download mode by pressing volume down+menu button+power button until you get the yellow screen showing the android working. then open odin 1.7 and connect your handset. once odin connects, click on the buttons for PDA,PHONE and CSC in odin and browse to the appropraite file which you've download in the rom. also click on the PIT button, browse to the odin folder and select the 512.pit file. Once this is done, check the main odin window to make sure the check-box next to 're-partition' is checked. click start and it should flash the new firmware for you.

Disclaimer: I do not take responsibility for any harm that may come to your phone during the flashing process. The instuctions above are accurate but are to be performed at your own risk.

Last edited:

R34L2Pac

Aug 3, 2010
Pilsen
if odin can 'see' you handset, have you tried flashing the ROM again? find a stock froyo rom from one of the threads here in the general section (click here) or download from samfirmware.com .

Once you have the rom files, kill all the KIES tasks using the task-manager in windows. then open odin and connect your handset. once odin connects, click on the buttons for PDA,PHONE and CSC in odin and browse to the appropraite file which you've download in the rom. also click on the PIT button, browse to the odin folder and select the 512.pit file. Once this is done, check the main odin window to make sure the check-box next to 're-partition' is checked. click start and it should flash the new firmware for you.

Disclaimer: I do not take responsibility for any harm that may come to your phone during the flashing process. The instuctions above are accurate but are to be performed at your own risk.

@frostygenius
I don´t think that your instrunctions ARE accuarate. You don´t even mention that he has to be in Download mode if he wants to use Odin. Also you advise to connect phone right after opening Odin and than insert the files, but some versions of Odin are known that they malfunctioning if you do this in this order, You should first insert files and set odin and after that plug in your phone.
And if he claims that he is on stock since bought the phone, so maybe he never used it before.

@peterg123
I´m not exactly following what happens to your phone. If I understand correctly the Samsung released defective ROM via KIES and after a week turn it down? But you already updated and now your phone is broken? If yes, I think that Samsung service center should repair your phone or if its serious damage than even replace it.

Is the phone able to boot-up and work properly? Is your recovery mode and/or download mode working? If the download mode (use 3-button combo - VolDown+Home+Power) is working then you can try recover on your own, but be careful, dont do anything before you are sure that you know what you are doing. You can go through this post before start [HOWTO] [REF] [FAQ] [Guides] [Tutorials] Flash/Root/ADB/ROM [MUST READ!].
Also go through the forum or samfirmware.com and find your official version of rom (Eclair 2.1) to be sure that you can anytime revert to this one because of warranty.

EDIT: Also can you please post some photos or video showing what happens to your phone?

Last edited:
Reactions: peterg123

DMD9

Oct 20, 2010
Ok, I dunno if this is gonna help but I had a very similar issue when I first got my phone, within a week of owning it.
Points 1-3, exactly what happened mine.
Points 4 & 5 I didn't try, (was fairly new to Android)
Left it in to my local Vodafone shop & within 5 days I had it back in perfect working order, the maintenance report stated faulty hardware, the display module had to be replaced. Maybe worth mentioning to the service guy?

frostygenius

Mar 3, 2010
Lahore
@frostygenius
I don´t think that your instrunctions ARE accuarate. You don´t even mention that he has to be in Download mode if he wants to use Odin. Also you advise to connect phone right after opening Odin and than insert the files, but some versions of Odin are known that they malfunctioning if you do this in this order, You should first insert files and set odin and after that plug in your phone.
And if he claims that he is on stock since bought the phone, so maybe he never used it before.

@peterg123
I´m not exactly following what happens to your phone. If I understand correctly the Samsung released defective ROM via KIES and after a week turn it down? But you already updated and now your phone is broken? If yes, I think that Samsung service center should repair your phone or if its serious damage than even replace it.

Is the phone able to boot-up and work properly? Is your recovery mode and/or download mode working? If the download mode (use 3-button combo - VolDown+Home+Power) is working then you can try recover on your own, but be careful, dont do anything before you are sure that you know what you are doing. You can go through this post before start [HOWTO] [REF] [FAQ] [Guides] [Tutorials] Flash/Root/ADB/ROM [MUST READ!].
Also go through the forum or samfirmware.com and find your official version of rom (Eclair 2.1) to be sure that you can anytime revert to this one because of warranty.

EDIT: Also can you please post some photos or video showing what happens to your phone?

Thanks for the heads-up :) I forgot to mention those points. I've updated my original post.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

peterg123

Oct 28, 2010
Thanks, it is not possible to get into download mode, or I would have done all that. As explained, the phone will not go past the giant "S" logo ( 3rd screen after power on). This problem has happened to many people, worldwide.

As explained the three button default firmware does not work.

The Samsung repair agent claims to have used the 301k resistor method to restart the phone and even that failed. I am not sure if this is true but he said so.. not sure because everybody reports success with this.

ODIN, as I said ( 1.8) recognises the COM connection just as does KIES. The problem is, I am not in download mode so can't reflash if I tried.

I have used the phone for 10 weeks since firmware upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 during which I had no problems except the occasional process stopped errors.

Hope this help, thanks for trying for me

peterg123

Oct 28, 2010
Yes you are correct, I can't get download mode. The phone has never been reflashed or messed with. It came with 2.1 and using KIES in March I reflashed to 2.2 and it worked perfectly for 10 weeks until it semi-bricked.

There is the Black Screen of eath...then there is the pulsasing S screen of limbo! That's what I have.

The only harwdare clue I have is the SGS blew the fuse in my car charger shortly before "expiring"...yet if connected to USB or other charger, it charges the battery and displays the logo.

splish2010

Jun 26, 2010
Croydon, South London
soundcloud.com
Thanks, it is not possible to get into download mode, or I would have done all that. As explained, the phone will not go past the giant "S" logo ( 3rd screen after power on). This problem has happened to many people, worldwide.

As explained the three button default firmware does not work.

The Samsung repair agent claims to have used the 301k resistor method to restart the phone and even that failed. I am not sure if this is true but he said so.. not sure because everybody reports success with this.

ODIN, as I said ( 1.8) recognises the COM connection just as does KIES. The problem is, I am not in download mode so can't reflash if I tried.

I have used the phone for 10 weeks since firmware upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 during which I had no problems except the occasional process stopped errors.

Hope this help, thanks for trying for me

..But download mode doesn't display the S logo or even the first Galaxy S 1900 logo...it goes straight in.

Try looking up in the Development section - I'm sure there is a jig method in there and it might be worth trying yourself, you've not got mush to lose now.

If you can get into download mode eventually, search for and flash Ezbase, that will get you onto a rooted firmware and it works EVERY single time for me. Good luck.

peterg123

Oct 28, 2010
@R34L2Pac

Hi, thanks. As posted, the stock UK model SGS 1900 with 2.1 Eclair worked perfect from Nov to March 2011, was firmware upodated by KIES in March 2011 to 2.2.1 Froyo and worked like a dream until it went "semi-bricked" with the "Logo of Limbo" screen ( the pulsating giant S) for no reason.

A week before this, I changed SIMs when I changed countries and for some reason lost all added apps. I had to re-install them and even then, sometimes twice as I got many "android process stopped" errors --- even on some of the Sansung installed ones like Layar. That is the only problem I ever had.

The phone has only had apps from Market and never been modded whatsoever. Many thanks

R34L2Pac

Aug 3, 2010
Pilsen
Hi,

You said that you can see a pulsating S logo, sound to me like your phone is bootlooping. But you didnt mention if you can get at least to recovery(VolUp+Home+Power)? If you can get into recovery, you could try just factory reset your phone from recovery and reboot your system.

Also in the development forum you can find some kernels which can be flashed via recovery (like speedmod K13 for Froyo), so you can try to flash this kernel and after reboot into CWM recovery you could try to connect phone to ADB and type the command "adb reboot download".

I read on the forum that the home-made jig method worked for everyone, so looks like the samsung technician was doing something wrong. It is worth trying to made one a see what it does. Also found this thread, where user cuperus claims that even with charger can be simulated the jig by heating-up your device. So you can also try it, just plug your phone to a charger, let it charge for 1hour and than try use 3-button combo to go to download mode.

peterg123

Oct 28, 2010
Hi,

You said that you can see a pulsating S logo, sound to me like your phone is bootlooping. But you didnt mention if you can get at least to recovery(VolUp+Home+Power)? If you can get into recovery, you could try just factory reset your phone from recovery and reboot your system.

Also in the development forum you can find some kernels which can be flashed via recovery (like speedmod K13 for Froyo), so you can try to flash this kernel and after reboot into CWM recovery you could try to connect phone to ADB and type the command "adb reboot download".

I read on the forum that the home-made jig method worked for everyone, so looks like the samsung technician was doing something wrong. It is worth trying to made one a see what it does. Also found this thread, where user cuperus claims that even with charger can be simulated the jig by heating-up your device. So you can also try it, just plug your phone to a charger, let it charge for 1hour and than try use 3-button combo to go to download mode.
Sorry I should have mentioned that it will not get into 3 button recovery mode, that has zero effect or rather, just sends it to the "Logo of Limbo" ( pulsating "S") just as does the power button.

Will maybe try a long charge time and see if that helps! Many thanks

BridX

Nov 23, 2010
Try en carefully learn hw to use odin coz I gt tha same exact model. I hav flashed mine many tyms en am on 2.3.4 XXJVP. if u do gt into download mode odin will sort u. Regards frm K.poly.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

frostygenius

Mar 3, 2010
Lahore
Sorry I should have mentioned that it will not get into 3 button recovery mode, that has zero effect or rather, just sends it to the "Logo of Limbo" ( pulsating "S") just as does the power button.

Will maybe try a long charge time and see if that helps! Many thanks

how long have you tried holding down the 'volume down+menu+power' keys? a simple quick press of the three buttons does not work. you have to keep holding them all down for a bit (sometimes upto to 15-20 seconds) for it to go into download mode.

Gontrop

Dec 24, 2008
Coimbra
Sorry for the fast answer but I'm at work atm... I think he needs to do the 3 combo button fix on his phone first. I know it's on the forum somewhere... Can anyone check it for him? I lost the 3 combo the first time I updated with Keys from 2.1 to 2.2 and I had to fix it using a program that I can't remember to go on download mode and apply that fix.
Then he can use Odin to flash a stock rom as he needs, plus having 3 combo fixed!

Good luck mate!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

R34L2Pac

Aug 3, 2010
Pilsen
Possible fix for your problem

Hi peterg,

I was looking through the general forum and found this post, where user beamzuk1 describes method how he fixed his semibricked phone. Symptoms are the same (not booting, glowing soft-keys, vibrating, no recovery and no download mode). So he used 'adb reboot recovery', I would say that proper command is 'adb reboot download', but you can try both. Also go through guide HOWTO use ADB, which I posted here the link in earlier post.
Hope this will help.

PS: Try follow beamzuk1 step-by-step, because if you start phone earlier than you connect it to pc, adb might not recognize the phone. Also be sure that you have correctly installed drivers and android-sdk before you try this.

LiverpoolFCfan

Dec 8, 2006
Dublin
These phones come with a 2 year warranty. Why don't you contact Samsung directly yourself - telling them that the local repair centre wouldn't fix/replace it for you. If you did nothing besides what you described, then I would have thought you were entitled to have it fixed or replaced by Samsung.

R34L2Pac

Aug 3, 2010
Pilsen
These phones come with a 2 year warranty. Why don't you contact Samsung directly yourself - telling them that the local repair centre wouldn't fix/replace it for you. If you did nothing besides what you described, then I would have thought you were entitled to have it fixed or replaced by Samsung.

+1

Also think that Samsung should repair it or replace it.

MrHassell

Dec 10, 2010
Melbourne
innertech.com.au
The fact your repair center has done nothing to fix your phone, in several occasions, now entitles you to brand new replacement or your money refunded in full, contract terminated and expenses paid for your losses incurred as a result of their negligence.

Why not hit them up for the SGS 2.

aaron.bufc

Mar 29, 2011
Ballymena
I had the same issue with my first Galaxy S...wifi stopped working at first, I turned it off then on again but nothing changed. So I rebooted to see if it would correct itself. Bootloops and no 3 button combo (download or recovery)
Sent it off to Samsung through the Carphone Warehouse in the UK. I'd contact a Samsung Service Centre directly if I were you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Once you have the rom files, kill all the KIES tasks using the task-manager in windows. then open odin and connect your handset. once odin connects, click on the buttons for PDA,PHONE and CSC in odin and browse to the appropraite file which you've download in the rom. also click on the PIT button, browse to the odin folder and select the 512.pit file. Once this is done, check the main odin window to make sure the check-box next to 're-partition' is checked. click start and it should flash the new firmware for you.

@frostygenius

@peterg123

Ok, I dunno if this is gonna help but I had a very similar issue when I first got my phone, within a week of owning it.
    Points 1-3, exactly what happened mine.
    Points 4 & 5 I didn't try, (was fairly new to Android)
    Left it in to my local Vodafone shop & within 5 days I had it back in perfect working order, the maintenance report stated faulty hardware, the display module had to be replaced. Maybe worth mentioning to the service guy?
    @frostygenius

@peterg123

Thanks for the heads-up :) I forgot to mention those points. I've updated my original post.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
    Hi,