[Tool][Windows] Control a device with a broken screen. Now with touchscreen support!!

Search This thread

utsavmistry

Nov 27, 2012
Mumbai
Hi, when I run the Android Control.exe file on my windows it opens 2 things:
1. a black window which quicly disapears (seems its calling DroidATScreen-1.1.jar which FYI is trying to open with Java)
2. the "Ultimate touch screen control for Android" window.. which is the one with the keys
Doesnt open my Nexus 5 Screen on the laptop.

Nexus5, USB Debugging is enabled, connected via USB cable.
Do i need to do any installations on the PC?

TIA!

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
This is hilarious! The screen died on my rooted 2013 Kindle Fire 7 about a month ago. I knew it was still alive inside (could see the files and was even able to reroot and wipe with the KFSOWI rooting tool), but with no screen I kinda gave up on it.

Then today I tried Android Control and not only can i "see" the tablet, but the touchscreen works! Of course, gestures are hit and miss (pun intended); i can only approximate where i should touch based on what i see on the pc.

Anyway, pretty fun and funny. Not sure what i'll do with it, but there are possibilities now--like trying something really reckless! Thanks!

haplox

Account currently disabled
Aug 15, 2014
Usa
Great, great app. Thanks a lot for it.

For those who need to activate debugging with the broken screen, these have been my stepts to get it. In my case is for a Xperia Arc (boot.img) with stock ICS ROM (4.1.B.0.587) and UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER, but it may work for almost all devices:

- Get an stock kernel or a costomized one with CWM if you prefeer. I have used this one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1838916

- Get Android Kernel Kitchen 0.3.1. It is a bit confuse in the way it works, but if you take care moving your files from inpu/output folders, and following the instructions it is really easy (do not rename any file as the kitchen will ask you, it must be a bug. Only need to modify the name of the ramdisk folder in order to recompress it)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1659584

- Decompress your kernel img file with kitchen. You will get your ramdisk uncompressed. Now you must edit your default.prop file inside your ramdisk folder (use Notepad++ for it)

You must add or modify next lines:

persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage,adb
ro.secure=0
ro.allow.mock.location=1
ro.debuggable=1
#
# VERSION_PROPERTIES
#
persist.service.adb.enable=1
persist.service.debuggable=1

- Recompile boot.img and flash it through flashtool or adb. Now you have USB debugging enabled. If some one wants my modified kernel here it is:

View attachment boot_ARC_Debug_CWN.img

REMENBER: this boot.img file is ONLY for Xperia ARC (LT15i) with ICS ROM. For another devices or ROMs you must kitchen your own kernel

theellucidone

Feb 23, 2010
Lyman, ME
how can i get this to work if i am not able to accept the popup that shows on the phone. Screen is shattered and digitizer is not working.

Code:
C:\Users\David\Desktop\sdk\platform-tools>Adb shell
error: device unauthorized. Please check the confirmation dialog on your device.

C:\Users\David\Desktop\sdk\platform-tools>Adb shell
error: device unauthorized. Please check the confirmation dialog on your device.

C:\Users\David\Desktop\sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
ZX1G22723D      unauthorized

C:\Users\David\Desktop\sdk\platform-tools>

Zeljko1234

May 7, 2010
Stockholm
This tool literally save my ass when digitizer stopped working on my phone and I needed it to navigate to airport, home, etc. Luckily I had laptop and this app.
@k.janku1 thank you with a small donation.

Raj Rohit

Apr 13, 2012
Bangalore
Cool !! But...

Upgrade Droid@Tool to 1.2.
New version got Touch control, It will make your tool more useful.

And give some command for scrolling Vertical And Horizontal.
I'm struggling to scroll.

My Device screen is broken, just want to use It as permanent Hotspot :D

Thanks Buddy
Awesome Job

_MutantX_

Feb 6, 2014
Troyes
Hi,
does not support Xperia Z3C

Edit:

Sorry I found my mistake, I did not accept the signature of debugUSB with PC

Last edited:

StvnKwlzk

Feb 24, 2012
Bremen
First, thank you very much for the awesome tool, but i have a few problems.

The Display of my Nexus 4 broke and the touch input is not working anymore. My device is bootloader unlocked and runs CW Recovery 6.0.4.3. I already tried to do a backup through adb backup, which strangely always gives me empty backups. So i tried enabling USB Debugging to use this tool and get my data back a different way. After rebooting my phone it shortly states that USB Debugging is enabled before asking to type in my pin, so i guess this kinda works. But adb devices will not show my device, so your phone does neither aswell. Anyone with an advice or a similar problem?

billabongstaff

Jan 6, 2008
Sintra
Can you share your files?

for people who dont have adb enabled, i suggest you contact a kernel developer to automatically enable it in the default.prop and sideload the kernel in recovery!
i broke my S3 on stock so nothing was enabled.
i enabled adb via the default.prop and compiled the kernel and flashed in recovery(sideload).
now i have full control over the device.
thanks for the tool mate! i hope to see it cross compiled for linux soon aswell :)

Hey there.
I have the exact same situation as you do (a broken S3) and I can't do anything to salvage my files.
Can you please share your custom kernel so that I can flash it?

Best regards,
Bruno.

mostpm

Aug 5, 2015
I wrote a very long description of my problem but this forum don't want that I get my data back and I have to do it again...however. Now in short.
The swype thing doesn't work precisely. I can point every dot but can't swype the line around the corner. At the end it draws only straight lines.
So now I try it with posting my resolution and hope for including ... it is : 480x854
I really hope anyone can helps me.

Ricky Divjakovski

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Feb 4, 2013
Sydney
Hey there.
I have the exact same situation as you do (a broken S3) and I can't do anything to salvage my files.
Can you please share your custom kernel so that I can flash it?

Best regards,
Bruno.

hey, compile this https://github.com/Ricky310711/RTL_KERNEL and flash through adb

make sure you change the default.prop values from
ro.secure=1
ro.debuggable=0
ro.adb.secure=1

to
ro.secure=0
ro.debuggable=1
ro.adb.secure=0

ro.secure=0 makes the kernel insecure allowing changes from within the kernel
ro.debuggable=1 makes the system debuggable
ro.adb.secure=0 makes the device non adb secure(allows a pc to debug the device via adb)

Last edited:

vjpotter

May 10, 2011
Belfast
The gestures seem to work only in one direction. My Nexus 4 screen is broken and it is locked with a pattern lock. Since the gesture control in this application is able to connect only 3 dots at a time, it does not lock out after 5 incorrect attempts and hence, I am not able to reset it with my Google password.
Since the phone is locked, I am also not able to side load any files to help override the pattern lock as I can't access the media storage. Also, I am not able to su into adb shell even though my phone is rooted. I am also not able to change my lock to a code on Android Device Manager since my phone is already locked with a pattern.

Any help on how I can disable the lock combination on my phone?

FredMan

Jul 28, 2010
Long Beach
Broke the screen on my Nexus 5(again) this time real bad.
After some trial and error I was able to get past the adb fingerprint prompt.
this is what I did.

1. Boot into Recovery. on nexus 5 it's Power+Volume Down (check for your device)
2.Pull the adb_keys file
Code:
adb pull /data/misc/adb/adb_keys
3.Open your computers public adb key in a text editor
Code:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\.android\adbkey.pub
4. Open the adb_keys file you pulled before and paste the key from step 3 and save
5.Push the new adb_keys file back to your phone
Code:
adb push adb_key /data/misc/adb/adb_keys
6. reboot
That is what worked for me. Hope this helps.

Reactions: sremark

Patrick-Mav

May 20, 2008
Bremen
Screen resolution wrong

Hi there,
as I broke the screen of my Samsung S5 badly (digitizer and screen dead), I turned to this tool and I could get it to work only halfways. The screen is displayed with a reduced resolution and it doesn't register any swipe to unlock or gestures through the extra gesture window.
Look at the screenshot to see what I mean
How do I get it to work correctly?
Thanks for any help. It's badly needed.
:confused:

Attachments

• S5screen.jpg
    S5screen.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 564

Goldenmeadow

Oct 13, 2011
Southwestern Ontario
Can't touch anything...

Hi everybody!

It's really amazing tool, but I can't enjoy it... I have Nexus 4, full latest stock, bottom half of digitizer dead. I enabled debugging, connected to the phone. Can see it but can't press on any buttons...
Watched youtube video couple times but there are no touches, only keyboard commands...

Any help would be really appreciated!
Thanks

i can cast my screen but i cant touch anything from the pc, is there something wrong?

asko_85

Aug 25, 2015
my xt890 lcd screen and digitizer were broken so i changed them and the phone was working fine for a week, i then wanted to update to kitkat through oem update; everytime i tried it would give me error . i then read that since i unlocked bootloader and rooted my phone and installed cwm recovery i couldnt do an oem update and i had to do a factory reset in order to update through oem, so i did just that ; after the phone finished factory reset and booted i proceeded with oem update while the phone was charging, everything was going fine the file was downloading, i went to the bathroom and came back the display was black, but touch screen was working fine...through more searching i read that this could be from the update, and i should do another reset... since i couldnt see anything even recovery menu. i downloaded moborobo so i can see my screen on pc and proceeded to factory reset ... now i cant even see through moborobo and im stuck. i think im stuck in recovery screen, but no way to be sure , hence i cant get usb debug.Please help.

PowSniffer0110

Apr 26, 2010
Ogden
I have a broken screen, like everyone else. I have droidscreen running fine, finds my device, shows me the screen, but when I try and Unlock the device with swipe up motion on the ANDROID KEYBOARD it starts a new adb shell.... (even tho one is already established within droidscreen), it kills the old shell, starts a new one finds the port, then says DEVICE ERROR or DEVICE NOT FOUND when trying to use any command on the ANDROID KEYBOARD app. Whats the deal? My phone is recognized through adb with droid screen. Why can your silly keyboard program not send commants to my phone? Its not rooted, which I thought wasnt necessary. THANKS

Stefan_Eberle

Feb 9, 2015
Hi folks! Is there anybody out there to help me? My son broke the screen of his phone right on the way back from his school-exchange All pics of the trip are stored on the internal memory, so we can´t reach them

The phone is a "KingSing S2" with this Rom: www.needrom.com/download/kingsing-s2/

--> no adb enabled, no USB-debugging just rooted

I hope anybody can help me to create a kernel with adb enabled to use this tool??

Sorry for repost of this thread :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like to present you my little program written in Visual Basic.
    This tool lets you use your device through your Windows pc even if your touchscreen doesn't work or you can't see anything.
    It uses droid@Screen, which wasn't made by me.

UPDATE!!! Full touchscreen support!
    You need to have usb debugging enabled.
    Enable usb debugging via recovery:
    Code:
    Adb shell
    echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >>/system/build.prop
    echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >>/system/build.prop
    echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage,adb" >>/system/build.prop"
    reboot

for people who dont have adb enabled, i suggest you contact a kernel developer to automatically enable it in the default.prop and sideload the kernel in recovery!
    i enabled adb via the default.prop and compiled the kernel and flashed in recovery(sideload).

HmKqklH.png

gakavu1.png

Links:
    Source code: http://goo.gl/fgLHWx use the github link
    GitHub: https://github.com/kjanku1/WindowsApplication1
    The tool itself: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5...=sharing&resourcekey=0--HHg4Q8nZqze3N1TYZ1irA
    Mirror 1: http://www.4shared.com/file/-QVlYf0tba/Android_Control.html - old version
    Mirror 2: http://d-h.st/iJO

PREMIUM (donation) version with vnc support (TightVNC and VNC server)

http://goo.gl/XWYpEy

Linux port by ternes3

Source Code:
    reBT-SOFT: https://git.rebtsoft.de/open-source/touchcontrol-for-android/tree/master
    GitHub: https://github.com/ternes3/TouchControl-for-Android

Binary:
    MEGA: https://mega.co.nz/#!0051URJA!O7RF_JNQcZ0-s13lEEJtCd3_Tv4pAznX9duy97Ru6aQ

WINDOWS XP version!!! thanks to Senior Member smogf
    https://mega.co.nz/#!xJJQjTLR!S29tJrWxrtmxc2DNTm1cZrGkV-jdtxAqCBJco9dhQSg

Youtube video

**to do:
    Swipe to unlock for more screen resolutions (currently only 764x1280) Done, Please update
    Pattern unlock Done
    Caps Lock
    More swipe gestures
    Full touchscreen support Done

No installation needed.

FAQ

Enable USB debugging
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66731042&postcount=260 thanks to @Msmtx

Secure ADB ("unclickable" pop-up)workaround
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66731042&postcount=260 thanks to @Msmtx

File missing errors
    Just close it and open it again.

Swipe option not working?
    Download the latest version or post the resolution of your phone.

Other issues
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65891140&postcount=255 thanks to @Scooby00

If you have any problem, ask me anything.
    This is a quote from @Msmtx who has accomplished, what seemed impossible for some, however he's not allowed to post here yet, I'm posting it so more people can profit from this.

Msmtx said:
    To activate USB debugging AND workaround Secure ADB on Android versions 4.2+:
    1. Boot to recovery through hardware buttons
    2. Run adb shell
    3. Mount system and data partitions (in my case, on TWRP: twrp mount system && twrp mount data)
    4. Input into adb shell:
      Code:
      echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> default.prop 
      echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> default.prop
      echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> default.prop
      echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> /system/build.prop 
      echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> /system/build.prop
      echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> /system/build.prop
    5. On Windows, go to "%USERPROFILE%/.android", open adbkey.pub with Notepad or your text editor of preference and copy all of the file's content (CTRL+A and CTRL+C from Notepad and standard editors)
    6. Back to adb shell:
      Code:
      echo "<paste key here>" >> /data/misc/adb/adb_keys
      reboot
      -- on standard CMD you can paste by right-clicking the title bar> Edit> Paste, or just right-clicking if you have "Quick Edit mode" enabled in CMD's properties.
    thanks for the tool mate! i hope to see it cross compiled for linux soon aswell :)
    Good ! I'm try it.
    Hi all,

Thanks for this thread this helped me a lot.
    Device is a samsung S4 t-mobile variant.

The only trick is that on recovery, i'm using latest twrp, i needed to mount system in order to see the build.prop file.

notice. Device screen is totally broken, doesnt turn on. i was able to accomplish this without it.

HTML:
    adb shell
    mount system

after this then i proceeded with whats on the OP.

Thanks again.

Update: it works but i get the Unauthorized device on adb shell, not i need to find out how to enable this since i can use the touch screen.
    Update2: I was able to get an rsa key from another samsung s4 that was connected to the same computer, "adb_keys" is located in /data/misc/adb/
    1. you must be rooted to take the adb_keys file from the phone that works. With es explorer "enabled root explorer" and i was able to see this file.
    2. once you get a copy of adb_keys, reboot the phone with broken screen into recovery, adb recovery should work. im using twrp.
    3.adb push <location of file>rsa_keys /data/misc/adb/
    4. adb reboot and once the phone bots up voila! adb shell should be able to see the phone now.

i hope this helps someone like it did to me.