SGH-T999N

Current Builds:
T999L = UVAMB7
T999N = UVAME4

Development Thread
{Depreciated - For Reference Only}
[Stock][ROM]Galaxy S3-LTE (d2ltetmo)

Thread Purpose
To help new T999L and T999N owners get started on discovering the full potential of their new device.
To assist members with troubleshooting and provide general help and information for the device.
To answer the most frequently asked questions about the T999N, T999L and LTE.

Note: While this will be primarily focused on the T999L, nearly ALL information will be directly applicable to the T999N as the devices are identical. Only the firmware is different. I will try to state specifically anywhere there is a difference. But if it is not stated as such, it is fairly safe to assume the information in question is relevant, as is, for both devices.
There will also certainly be information here that can be helpful to everyone. I invite comments and suggestions from all of you!

I am aware that there is a good deal of confusion out there about these latest versions of the S3. I hope to help alleviate that confusion by consolidating available information here. My goal is to provide you with everything you need in order to get what you want out of your device (well almost everything!! :cool:)

Be aware that I plan to organize this over the first several posts, so please read everything before posting questions and/or new threads.

What this thread IS NOT

A place to continue the debate about the T999 being LTE capable.
A place to complain about T-Mobile telling you that the T999 will get LTE.
A place to find support for the OLD MetroPCS model, SCH-R530. (I think thats the correct model)

SPECS

Processor
Qualcomm MSM8960
1.5GHz Dual-Core
1MB Level 2 Cache
ARMv7

Memory
2GB RAM
LPDDR2

Storage
16GB Total
xxxx User Accessible
Up to 64GB SD Card Expansion

GPU
Qualcomm Adreno 225
4.8" Super AMOLED Display (Active Matrix, Organic LED)
720x1280 Display Resolution
305.8 Pixels /inch
1920x1080 Video Out Resolution (via MHL)

Audio
Wolfson WM1811
Stereo Output

Camera (Rear)
8MP
1x Optical Zoom
16x Digital Zoom
JPG Format

Camera (Front)
1.92MP
1280x720
Picture Format - JPG
Video Format - 3GP

Camcorder
1920x1080 @ 30fps
Formats: 3GP, 3G2, MPEG4

USB
Micro USB Connector
USB 3.0
USB OTG (On The Go) 1.3 Compliant

Bluetooth
BT 4.0
BT Stereo A2DP/AVCRP
Broadcom BCM4334

Wi-Fi
a/b/g/n
2.4GHz / 5.0GHz
Broadcom BCM4334

Cellular Networks
Band 1 - UMTS 2100
Band 2 - UMTS 1900
Band 4 - UMTS 1700/2100 & LTE 1700/2100
Band 5 - UMTS 850 ; GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
Band 17 - LTE 700

Data Links
GPRS - Class 12
EDGE - Class 12
UMTS
HSPA+21
HSPA+42 - HSDPA Cat. 24 (42 MB/s) - HSUPA Cat. 6 (5.76 MB/s)
LTE - Cat. 3

LTE
LTE 1700/2100 - Channels available with 5MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz and 20MHz bandwidth
LTE 700 - Channels available with 5MHz and 10MHz bandwidth

Other Features
Digital Compass
Barometer
Active Noise Cancellation
DLNA
NFC
Business Certified Samsung SAFE v2.5
CMAS
HD Voice

T-Mobile LTE is Currently Deployed in the Following Locations

Alabama
Birmingham
Decatur
Huntsville
Mobile
Montgomery
Tuscaloosa

Arizona
Phoenix
Tucson

Arkansas
Little Rock

California
Bakersfield
Fresno
Los Angeles
Modesto
Napa
Oakland
Oxnard
Riverside
Sacramento
Salinas
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
San Rafael
Santa Ana
Santa Barbara
Santa Cruz-Watsonville
Santa Rosa
Stockton
Vallejo-Fairfield

Colorado
Boulder
Denver

Connecticut
Bridgeport
New Haven

District of Columbia
Washington

Florida
Jacksonville
Lakeland-Winter Haven
Miami
Orlando
Sarasota
Tallahassee
Tampa
West Palm Beach

Georgia
Atlanta
Gainesville
Savannah

Hawaii
Honolulu

Illinois
Chicago

Indiana
Indianapolis
Lafayette

Kansas
Lawrence
Wichita

Kentucky
Lexington

Louisiana
New Orleans

Maryland
Baltimore

Massachusetts
Boston
Cambridge

Michigan
Ann Arbor
Detroit
Warren

Minnesota
Minneapolis

Missouri
Kansas City

Nevada
Las Vegas
Reno-Sparks

New Jersey
Atlantic City
Newark

New Mexico
Albuquerque

New York
Albany
Binghamton
Buffalo
Nassau
New York
Rochester
Syracuse

North Carolina
Charlotte
Durham
Greensboro-High Point
Raleigh
Winston-Salem

Ohio
Akron
Cleveland
Columbus
Dayton

Oklahoma
Bartlesville
Oklahoma City
Tulsa

Oregon
Portland
Salem

Pennsylvania
Erie
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

Rhode Island
Providence

South Carolina
Charleston
Spartanburg
Greenville

Tennessee
Memphis
Nashville

Texas
Austin
College Station-Bryan
Dallas
El Paso
Fort Worth
Houston
San Antonio

Utah
Ogden
Provo-Orem
Salt Lake City

Virginia
Richmond
Virginia Beach

Washington
Bellingham
Kennewick
Mount Vernon
Seattle-Bellevue
Spokane

Puerto Rico
Mayagüez
Ponce
San Juan

FAQ

Here is a somewhat rough draft of some of our most frequently asked questions. I will add, edit, revamp, make better as we go. If you notice a popular question that I left out, let me know so I can add it! I just wanted to get them out asap as I felt I have waited long enough!

Why Can't I Get LTE?
That depends:
Are you certain you have an LTE capable device? Namely the SGH-T999L?
Are you sure that LTE is available in your area?
Did you pay your bill on time?
It is also highly possible that there are currently network/tower problems in your area. Call T-Mobile Support and ask.
Check your IMEI number. If it is zero, PM me!

My ROM doesnt show LTE in the statusbar, only 4G.
If you have flashed a custom rom, you may be getting LTE only it does not know how to display this in the status bar.
To tell what your connection is for sure, start a download (your next rom is a good one), then go to Settings > About Device > Status > Network Type

Why does my phone say it is a T999?
Because you flashed a rom that was based on or intended for the original T999 model. This is perfectly normal.
If you really want to change it, go to /system/build.prop and edit all lines that say SGH-T999, to your model or whatever you like.
(WARNING!!!) If you change this to a different model than the T999 or T999L, some apps may think they are on that different model device. This can cause a brick if you try to flash firmware with Mobile Odin. Other apps may not function as intended. Use Caution!

Can I flash ROMs from the T999?
In short, YES
BUT....some ROM's will not flash without a little intervention, so to speak. If you get a Status 7 error and the ROM will not flash, this is what you do:
Unzip the Rom.
In the Meta-Inf folder, delete the signatures (CERT.RSA, CERT.SF, MANIFEST.MF)
Browse to META-INF\com\google\android\ and open the updater-script in Notepad++
At the top of the script, there will be one or several lines beginning with "Assert". Delete these Lines. Save the updater-script.
Re-Zip the Rom and try again to flash.

Can I update my bootloader so I can Flash CM?
NO. AND DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO SO!!! YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!!
See the question above about removing the "Assert" lines from the Rom's updater-script to make the rom flashable.

Can I Network/Carrier unlock via the free method posted in General?
Unfortunately, this is not possible on 4.1.2 as Samsung patched against it in this build. Because there is no earlier firmware for the device, you cannot downgrade like people can with the original T999.
Your only options are to try to get the unlock code from T-Mobile, or pay for the service from an online retailer. You can find some on ebay, or just by a google search.

Can I flash another radio?
YES.
The T999 and T999V modems will flash, but you will have no connectivity. So do not flash these. There is no point.
However, as of right now you can only use two modems. UVAMB7 from the T999L, and UVAME4 from the T999N are interchangeable. Meaning you can use the T999N modem on the T999L, and vice versa. Please read my Modem/Baseband thread for downloads and more information on modems. (Link is in my sig)

Can I flash any of the firmware that is for the T999 or T999V?
NO! YOU WILL HARD-BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!!
ONLY flash T999L firmware to a T999L and T999N firmware to a T999N!!!!
If it does not match your model EXACTLY, it will almost certainly brick your device!!!

Can I flash the T999L firmware to my T999N, or vice versa?
NO! This is one of the areas where the two are NOT compatible!
If it does not match your model EXACTLY, it will almost certainly brick your device!!!

What is safe to flash to the T999L?
You can safely flash any of the Roms, Kernels and Recoveries found here in the T-Mobile GS3 forum.
You should also be able to flash any of the mods available, but unless you are on a matching firmware build, YMMV.
Flashing T999/T999V modems shouldn't harm the phone, but they will not work.

Why wont my camera work after I flashed CM?
This is a known issue reported by several people on several roms. It seems the fixes are different for some roms, and one or two have no solution as of right now. The most likely cause is a Kernel/Module mismatch. (for example, if you flashed a T999 based rom, but kept your T999L kernel, it will not work as the kernel cannot work with the T999 modules.) In this case, the fix is simple, flash any of the kernel plus modules I have made available. This will flash the kernel, plus its compatible modules and should solve the camera issue. Some have reported this being fixed by flashing the ktoonsez kernel (it includes its own modules).
In the cases where this does not solve the issue, it may be due to an incorrect module, lib, framework, cameradata, kernel, or any combination of those or possibly something else we have not found yet.

Why is my WiFi and/or Bluetooth not working after flashing a T999 based Rom?
Most likely this is also due to a kernel/module mismatch. Try flashing one of the kernel plus moudles I have available.

Let me know if you think of any other questions I should add here! Thanks!

:cowboy: Doc :cowboy:

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
How To Root!!!

How To Root Your T999L

There are currently three methods I have confirmed working to gain root access. I will list them in recommended order.

Method 1 - The Root66 Way (RECOMMENDED)

Use Odin to flash the ROOT66 Firmware. Download from my firmware thread or mrRobinson's original Root66 thread. (Don't forget to thank mrRobinson for his hard work! He doesn't even have this device, but he still takes the time to fix us up with this firmware!)
Download the Root66 firmware. Several builds may be available, it is suggested that you use the latest version available, though you should read about any update before taking the plunge!!! (At the time of this writing, NC1 is the latest firmware for the T999L).
Flash in Odin 3.09 as you would any other firmware. (Place in the AP section) (If still using Odin v3.07, put the firmware in PDA instead of AP like in v3.09)

How to Flash Root66 (or any firmware) In Odin

• Download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers (see my sig)
  • Download and extract Odin 3.09 (see my sig)
  • Download the root66 firmware linked above.
  • Run Odin by double clicking the Odin.exe within the folder you extracted
  • Turn off your phone and boot into DOWNLOAD MODE (Volume Down + Home + Power Hold until phone powers up, then release and press Volume Up to enter Download Mode)
  • Once in Download Mode, connect the USB/Charger cable to the phone and plug into the USB port on your computer.
  • You should now see a COM# port listed toward the top-left of Odin (under ID:COM)
  • Click on the AP button (3.09) or PDA button (3.07) in the middle-right area of Odin.
  • Browse to and select the firmware you downloaded
  • Make sure Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time are the only options checked and that AP (or PDA) is the only other thing checked.
  • TRIPLE CHECK your settings and that you have selected the correct firmware for your model phone and are using the correct options.
  • If you are using a laptop, make absolutely sure you are plugged in, or if on battery, that it is charged enough and will not go into sleep mode during flash.
  • Click Start to begin the flash. This can take a few minutes, so be patient!
  • Once complete, in the top-left box in Odin, it will say PASS and the phone should have automatically rebooted.
  • You may unplug the phone and close Odin if you wish.
  • Wait at least 5-10 minutes for the system to boot the first time and then build its cache! (It may seem to hang during boot, this is normal and you must be patient!!!)
  • DONE!!! :victory:
:highfive:​

Method 2 - The Recovery Way

Use Odin to flash either CWM or TWRP custom recovery. (use the latest available d2tmo or d2lte version. d2ltetmo versions will have some compatibility issues with certain Roms/Mods)
Reboot to the custom recovery.
Flash your preferred superuser app and binary.

You can download Odin, SuperSU, Superuser, TWRP and CWM from my signature.

How to Flash Recovery In Odin

• Download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers from my signature
  • Download and extract Odin 3.09 from my signature
  • Download your preferred recovery in a .tar or .tar.md5 format. (you can get these from my signature.)
  • Turn off your phone and boot into DOWNLOAD MODE (Volume Down + Home + Power Hold until phone powers up, then release and press Volume Up to enter Download Mode)
  • Once in Download Mode, connect the USB/Charger cable to the phone and plug into the USB port on your computer.
  • You should now see a COM# port listed toward the top-left of Odin (under ID:COM)
  • Click on the AP button in the middle-right area of Odin.
  • Browse to and select the Recovery you downloaded
  • Make sure Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time are the only options checked and that AP is the only other thing checked.
  • TRIPLE CHECK your settings and that you have selected the correct recovery and are using the correct options.
  • If you are using a laptop, make absolutely sure you are plugged in, or if on battery, that it is charged enough and will not go into sleep mode during flash.
  • Click Start to begin the flash.
  • Once complete, in the top-left box in Odin, it will say PASS and the phone should have automatically rebooted.
  • You may now reboot into your custom recovery and flash the SuperSu.zip to gain root!
:highfive:

Method 3 - The Motochopper Way

Use the MotoChopper Exploit
Thread and instructions here: [ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy S4 with Motochopper
Yes this tutorial is for the S4, but it will work for the T999L as well.

Note: I dont recommend using Motochopper simply because it will be patched against soon. (most likely the next update) So IMO its best to just learn a method you can use again in the future.

Now, Before you do anything else!!!!
BACKUP YOUR NV-DATA!!!

This will create an On-Device backup of your IMEI and other NV Items.
Do this and you will not have to keep track of any files as it will be backed up internally, permanently.
You only have to do this ONCE! It will not go away when you flash Roms, Recoveries, Firmware, etc!

Download and Install the Terminal Emulator from the Play Store.

Open Terminal Emulator and enter the following:

Code:
su
reboot nvbackup

The device will reboot and backup all necessary data. That's it!!!

Restoring your NV-Backup

If you do lose your IMEI, all you have to do is open Terminal Emulator and enter the following:

Code:
su
reboot nvrestore

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Revert to Stock and Unroot

How To Revert To Stock

Note: Do not forget to use Triangle Away to reset your binary counter if you are planning to make a warranty claim.
Note2: BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!

Method 1 - Using TWRP or CWM Recovery

Reboot into CWM or TWRP Recovery
Flash PureStock Rom
Flash the unmodified, Secure UVAMB7 Kernel
Flash Stock UVAMB7 Recovery

Next, if you want to wipe everything but your internal SD Card, Factory Reset before rebooting.
If you want a 100% clean, out of the box type device, reboot Recovery.
This should take you into the stock recovery you just flashed. Now Factory Reset.

Reboot Phone
(Last chance to run Triangle Away!)
Open SuperUser/SuperSU (app)
Find and select the option to Permanantly Unroot.
Reboot
:cowboy: Done!!! :cowboy:

Method 2 - Using Odin

• Download Odin 3.07 from my signature
    [*]Download Chainfire's Triangle Away to your External SD Card (Thread)
    [*]Download and extract Stock System + Root
    [*]Download Stock Recovery
    [*]Download Stock Kernel
    [*]Open Odin
    [*]Reboot Phone into Download Mode. (Power + Home + Volume Down, Then press Volume Up when prompted.)
    [*]Once in Download Mode, connect the USB/Charger cable to the phone and plug into the USB port on your computer.
    [*]You should now see a COM# port listed toward the top-left of Odin (under ID:COM)
    [*]Click on the PDA button in the middle-right area of Odin.
    [*]Browse to and select the Stock System you downloaded
    [*]Make sure Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time are the only options checked and that PDA is the only other thing checked.
    [*]TRIPLE CHECK your settings and that you have selected the correct firmware for your model phone and are using the correct options.
    [*]If you are using a laptop, make absolutely sure you are plugged in, or if on battery, that it is charged enough and will not go into sleep mode during flash.
    [*]Click Start to begin the flash. This can take a few minutes, so be patient!
    [*]Once complete, in the top-left box in Odin, it will say PASS and the phone should have automatically rebooted.
    [*]You may unplug the phone and close Odin if you wish.
    [*]Wait at least 5-10 minutes for the system to boot the first time and then build its cache! (It may seem to hang during boot, this is normal and you must be patient!!!)
    [*]If the phone still hangs during boot up, hold the power button down until it shuts off, quickly release power and then Immediately repress Power + Home + Volume Up. This will boot recovery. Now Factory Reset and Reboot.

[*]Follow these same steps again for the Stock Kernel and Stock Recovery you downloaded. (Note: You can alternatively now replace all 3, System, Recovery and Kernel, with the official root66 firmware! root66_TMO_T999LUVAMB7.7z)
    [*]DONE!!!

Reboot Phone
Install Triangle Away and reset the flash counter.
Reboot and check Triangle Away to see if it still says the counter is at zero.
Now, to unroot, open SuperUser/SuperSU (app)
Find and select the option to Permanantly Unroot (Full Unroot or similar)
Reboot

Next, if you want a 100% clean, out of the box type device, reboot Recovery.
This should take you into the stock recovery you just flashed. Now Factory Reset.
This will wipe Triangle Away as well as your Internal SD Card.
Your phone should now be exactly as it was when you powered it on the very first time!

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Custom Recoveries

What you need to know

Currently, only CWM has a recovery specifically for the T999L. Because of this, you can use Rom Manager to install CWM if you are rooted.
I do not recommend this however....

I suggest you use either CWM or TWRP for the T999 (d2tmo). It will work just the same and you will not have any of the compatability problems.
Most devs do not have their roms set up to allow flashing to the T999L, this will solve one part of that problem.

The only drawback to this is that you cannot use Goo Manager or Rom Manager to install/update your recovery.
Depending on where you get it, the flashable zips for CWM and TWRP may not flash if you try to change/update by flashing from your current recovery. If you use the files I have linked to in my signature, this should not be an issue.

So unless you know for sure that you have a d2tmo recovery installed, I would go ahead and flash one I have available just to get it out of the way.

Mobile Odin

Mobile Odin does not yet support the T999L. I have already submitted the required information to Chainfire, and since it is most likely already completely compatable, I am hoping it will be added in the next update.
If you are currently running a T999L build, Mobile Odin will immediately tell you it is not supported if you open it. If you are using a T999 Rom, Mobile Odin would most likely work. I base this on the fact that the T999 recoveries will work and Mobile Odin functions in a way as a temporary recovery. Keep in mind, this is nothing more than a guess on my part.

Flashing ROM's To Your T999L

You CAN flash any of the ROM's which are built for the original T999. Pretty much any ROM you find in our Development Section should work on the T999L.
There are, however, just a few small things that you need to remain aware of.

TouchWiz ROM's
Touchwiz ROMs are those based on the Stock, Shipped firmware (The software that came on your device)
If the ROM you choose includes a kernel, everything should work and you have nothing else to worry about.
If it does NOT come with a kernel, you will most likely have to flash either the UVDMD5 kernel, or the UVAMB7 kernel + Modules. More information and both can be found in my Development thread.
Either kernel should work just fine. You are free to choose either one. If you run into issues with one, please share the information so everyone else can benefit, and also to confirm for you that it is a kernel problem.

CM / AOSP / AOKP
Some of these roms will not flash without editing the updater-script. As these roms progress, the devs should add the T999L making this more of a Non-Issue.
If you get a Status 7 error, you will most likely need to follow these steps to make it flashable.

Unzip the ROM.
Browse to and open the updater-script (use Notepad+++
At the top you will see the 'Asserts'
You have 2 options:
1. Remove all of the Assert lines.
2. Add another assert. If the current ones are using d2tmo, add d2ltetmo. If using UVDMD5, add UVAMB7.
Save and rezip the file. (delete the signatures if present)
Flash ROM.

Last edited:

tj gamino

Jul 6, 2010
Thank you doc for starting this thread. I came over to TMo from sprint. Sprints speeds in my area (S.W. Houston) sucked a**.. Speeds are 2x sometimes 3-4x faster than sprint now. No lie. Although I'm very excited to have the S3Lte variant. I had no idea about S3's being different for TMo. The first day I got my phone I rooted and flashed what I thought was capable for my phone and winded up hard bricking. Luckily I was able to play dumb and get another one. I'm currently rooted on stock until one of these kick ass devs shoots out some Roms I can flash with no worries.

With all that said. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community as I can already tell you guys are very welcoming. I have been flashing since I got my OG Evo 3 yrs ago so I'm somewhat experienced but I can't code to save my life. I will continue to check on the daily and help out with any questions I feel I can provide a answer for. Cheers to all and happy flashing.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda app-developers app

honey45

Jun 8, 2013
punjab
hi..
my phone is s3 t999. rooted .
i installed CWM.
i bacup files . 3 or 4 times .
now it is cover my phone memory. i want to remove bacup files from phone memory.

i can not delete manually .have no idea about how to delete.
when i connect to pc. it shows phone memory. it also shows the folder clockwordmode . but there is no file to delete
please help anyone

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-01-01-06-26-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-01-01-06-26-25.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 2,311
  • Screenshot_2012-01-01-06-26-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-01-01-06-26-37.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,208
  • Screenshot_2012-01-01-06-26-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-01-01-06-26-41.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 2,153

tj gamino

Jul 6, 2010
I'm not completely understanding your question. You want to remove files from your phones internal memory but your asking about files on your SD??.
Have you tried to reboot?.
What ROM are you running?

Reactions: Lt8^ and honey45

manofsteel1

Jul 10, 2013
In my other GS3 i was able to use goo manager to flash recovery.......is there anyway to use these with T999L?

Im sorry for all the questions just dont want to brick my shiny new t999L

Last edited:

Adreaver

Jun 12, 2012
New London
Flash the latest twrp from docholiday's sig. Its twrp for the T999, but it works without issues. And if you flash twrp or cwm for the T999L with goo/ROM manager, the recovery will fail to flash pretty much everything.

I'm going to post a guide later today on how to get root, custom recovery, and custom ROMs and kernels on the T999L. For now the best resource is doc's d2ltetmo thread in android development.
Edit: just realized that this post is a guide almost exactly like the one I was writing. Major brain fart.

Sent from my T999L on PACman

Last edited:
Reactions: manofsteel1

manofsteel1

Jul 10, 2013
I downloaded twrp 2600 tar and img

Would flashing with odin trigger the triangle or anthing?

A guide would be amazing!!!!

Used motochopper to root!

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I downloaded twrp 2600 tar and img

Would flashing with odin trigger the triangle or anthing?

A guide would be amazing!!!!

Used motochopper to root!

Geeze guys! Patience please! If you read the first post I did say this thread should have everthing needed when done. Everthing is pretty much done as it is, I just have to format it all to make it easy to read and navigate. Its just taking a little while because I have my daughter this weekend. I am working on getting it done as quick as I can. Its all coming very soon! I promise!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
And flashing the stock system will not trip the counter. But if you have a custom recovery it will always say at least 1.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
No problems I just don't want to brick it lol

As long as you stick to roms, kernels, and recoveries found in this forum, you should be fine. I thonk so far, the only T999L bricks have been due to flashing the firmware for other models. (I'm referring to root66 and official firmware as well as the recovery flashable firmware in the dev section. These are for the T999 and T999V only)

Ill go ahead and post what I have about flashing roms in a few min. Ill format it later on but this way you'll have something for the time being.

Reactions: carlj69

Adreaver

Jun 12, 2012
New London
1) flash the stock rooted system with Odin
2) (Optional but HIGHLY recommended) backup your NV (as described above)
3) flash recovery of your choice with Odin
4) (Optional but HIGHLY recommended) make a nandroid (using the recovery you just flashed)

Now you are good to flash almost anything for the T999 in recovery. Be warned that any modem other than MB7 will have no service on a T999L. Also, some ROMs or kernels may bootloop or have other issues; post in the ROM/kernel thread accordingly.

Avoid flashing with Mobile Odin; T999L is not supported yet.
Also, avoid flashing with PC Odin after the initial root/recovery process, unless you are flashing back to 100% stock - then follow the guide in the second post of [url="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2308514]this thread[/url]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    T-Mobile Galaxy SIII
    LTE Edition
    SGH-T999L

Now Covering the New Metro PCS SIII
    SGH-T999N

Current Builds:
    T999L = UVAMB7
    T999N = UVAME4

Development Thread
    {Depreciated - For Reference Only}
    [Stock][ROM]Galaxy S3-LTE (d2ltetmo)

Thread Purpose
    To help new T999L and T999N owners get started on discovering the full potential of their new device.
    To assist members with troubleshooting and provide general help and information for the device.
    To answer the most frequently asked questions about the T999N, T999L and LTE.

Note: While this will be primarily focused on the T999L, nearly ALL information will be directly applicable to the T999N as the devices are identical. Only the firmware is different. I will try to state specifically anywhere there is a difference. But if it is not stated as such, it is fairly safe to assume the information in question is relevant, as is, for both devices.
    There will also certainly be information here that can be helpful to everyone. I invite comments and suggestions from all of you!

I am aware that there is a good deal of confusion out there about these latest versions of the S3. I hope to help alleviate that confusion by consolidating available information here. My goal is to provide you with everything you need in order to get what you want out of your device (well almost everything!! :cool:)

Be aware that I plan to organize this over the first several posts, so please read everything before posting questions and/or new threads.

What this thread IS NOT

A place to continue the debate about the T999 being LTE capable.
    A place to complain about T-Mobile telling you that the T999 will get LTE.
    A place to find support for the OLD MetroPCS model, SCH-R530. (I think thats the correct model)

SPECS

Processor
    Qualcomm MSM8960
    1.5GHz Dual-Core
    1MB Level 2 Cache
    ARMv7

Memory
    2GB RAM
    LPDDR2

Storage
    16GB Total
    xxxx User Accessible
    Up to 64GB SD Card Expansion

GPU
    Qualcomm Adreno 225
    4.8" Super AMOLED Display (Active Matrix, Organic LED)
    720x1280 Display Resolution
    305.8 Pixels /inch
    1920x1080 Video Out Resolution (via MHL)

Audio
    Wolfson WM1811
    Stereo Output

Camera (Rear)
    8MP
    1x Optical Zoom
    16x Digital Zoom
    JPG Format

Camera (Front)
    1.92MP
    1280x720
    Picture Format - JPG
    Video Format - 3GP

Camcorder
    1920x1080 @ 30fps
    Formats: 3GP, 3G2, MPEG4

USB
    Micro USB Connector
    USB 3.0
    USB OTG (On The Go) 1.3 Compliant

Bluetooth
    BT 4.0
    BT Stereo A2DP/AVCRP
    Broadcom BCM4334

Wi-Fi
    a/b/g/n
    2.4GHz / 5.0GHz
    Broadcom BCM4334

Cellular Networks
    Band 1 - UMTS 2100
    Band 2 - UMTS 1900
    Band 4 - UMTS 1700/2100 & LTE 1700/2100
    Band 5 - UMTS 850 ; GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    Band 17 - LTE 700

Data Links
    GPRS - Class 12
    EDGE - Class 12
    UMTS
    HSPA+21
    HSPA+42 - HSDPA Cat. 24 (42 MB/s) - HSUPA Cat. 6 (5.76 MB/s)
    LTE - Cat. 3

LTE
    LTE 1700/2100 - Channels available with 5MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz and 20MHz bandwidth
    LTE 700 - Channels available with 5MHz and 10MHz bandwidth

Other Features
    Digital Compass
    Barometer
    Active Noise Cancellation
    DLNA
    NFC
    Business Certified Samsung SAFE v2.5
    CMAS
    HD Voice

T-Mobile LTE is Currently Deployed in the Following Locations

Alabama
    Birmingham
    Decatur
    Huntsville
    Mobile
    Montgomery
    Tuscaloosa

Arizona
    Phoenix
    Tucson

Arkansas
    Little Rock

California
    Bakersfield
    Fresno
    Los Angeles
    Modesto
    Napa
    Oakland
    Oxnard
    Riverside
    Sacramento
    Salinas
    San Diego
    San Francisco
    San Jose
    San Rafael
    Santa Ana
    Santa Barbara
    Santa Cruz-Watsonville
    Santa Rosa
    Stockton
    Vallejo-Fairfield

Colorado
    Boulder
    Denver

Connecticut
    Bridgeport
    New Haven

District of Columbia
    Washington

Florida
    Jacksonville
    Lakeland-Winter Haven
    Miami
    Orlando
    Sarasota
    Tallahassee
    Tampa
    West Palm Beach

Georgia
    Atlanta
    Gainesville
    Savannah

Hawaii
    Honolulu

Illinois
    Chicago

Indiana
    Indianapolis
    Lafayette

Kansas
    Lawrence
    Wichita

Kentucky
    Lexington

Louisiana
    New Orleans

Maryland
    Baltimore

Massachusetts
    Boston
    Cambridge

Michigan
    Ann Arbor
    Detroit
    Warren

Minnesota
    Minneapolis

Missouri
    Kansas City

Nevada
    Las Vegas
    Reno-Sparks

New Jersey
    Atlantic City
    Newark

New Mexico
    Albuquerque

New York
    Albany
    Binghamton
    Buffalo
    Nassau
    New York
    Rochester
    Syracuse

North Carolina
    Charlotte
    Durham
    Greensboro-High Point
    Raleigh
    Winston-Salem

Ohio
    Akron
    Cleveland
    Columbus
    Dayton

Oklahoma
    Bartlesville
    Oklahoma City
    Tulsa

Oregon
    Portland
    Salem

Pennsylvania
    Erie
    Philadelphia
    Pittsburgh

Rhode Island
    Providence

South Carolina
    Charleston
    Spartanburg
    Greenville

Tennessee
    Memphis
    Nashville

Texas
    Austin
    College Station-Bryan
    Dallas
    El Paso
    Fort Worth
    Houston
    San Antonio

Utah
    Ogden
    Provo-Orem
    Salt Lake City

Virginia
    Richmond
    Virginia Beach

Washington
    Bellingham
    Kennewick
    Mount Vernon
    Seattle-Bellevue
    Spokane

Puerto Rico
    Mayagüez
    Ponce
    San Juan

FAQ

Here is a somewhat rough draft of some of our most frequently asked questions. I will add, edit, revamp, make better as we go. If you notice a popular question that I left out, let me know so I can add it! I just wanted to get them out asap as I felt I have waited long enough!

Why Can't I Get LTE?
    That depends:
    Are you certain you have an LTE capable device? Namely the SGH-T999L?
    Are you sure that LTE is available in your area?
    Did you pay your bill on time?
    It is also highly possible that there are currently network/tower problems in your area. Call T-Mobile Support and ask.
    Check your IMEI number. If it is zero, PM me!

My ROM doesnt show LTE in the statusbar, only 4G.
    If you have flashed a custom rom, you may be getting LTE only it does not know how to display this in the status bar.
    To tell what your connection is for sure, start a download (your next rom is a good one), then go to Settings > About Device > Status > Network Type

Why does my phone say it is a T999?
    Because you flashed a rom that was based on or intended for the original T999 model. This is perfectly normal.
    If you really want to change it, go to /system/build.prop and edit all lines that say SGH-T999, to your model or whatever you like.
    (WARNING!!!) If you change this to a different model than the T999 or T999L, some apps may think they are on that different model device. This can cause a brick if you try to flash firmware with Mobile Odin. Other apps may not function as intended. Use Caution!

Can I flash ROMs from the T999?
    In short, YES
    BUT....some ROM's will not flash without a little intervention, so to speak. If you get a Status 7 error and the ROM will not flash, this is what you do:
    Unzip the Rom.
    In the Meta-Inf folder, delete the signatures (CERT.RSA, CERT.SF, MANIFEST.MF)
    Browse to META-INF\com\google\android\ and open the updater-script in Notepad++
    At the top of the script, there will be one or several lines beginning with "Assert". Delete these Lines. Save the updater-script.
    Re-Zip the Rom and try again to flash.

Can I update my bootloader so I can Flash CM?
    NO. AND DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO SO!!! YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!!
    See the question above about removing the "Assert" lines from the Rom's updater-script to make the rom flashable.

Can I Network/Carrier unlock via the free method posted in General?
    Unfortunately, this is not possible on 4.1.2 as Samsung patched against it in this build. Because there is no earlier firmware for the device, you cannot downgrade like people can with the original T999.
    Your only options are to try to get the unlock code from T-Mobile, or pay for the service from an online retailer. You can find some on ebay, or just by a google search.

Can I flash another radio?
    YES.
    The T999 and T999V modems will flash, but you will have no connectivity. So do not flash these. There is no point.
    However, as of right now you can only use two modems. UVAMB7 from the T999L, and UVAME4 from the T999N are interchangeable. Meaning you can use the T999N modem on the T999L, and vice versa. Please read my Modem/Baseband thread for downloads and more information on modems. (Link is in my sig)

Can I flash any of the firmware that is for the T999 or T999V?
    NO! YOU WILL HARD-BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!!

Can I flash the T999L firmware to my T999N, or vice versa?
    NO! This is one of the areas where the two are NOT compatible!

What is safe to flash to the T999L?
    You can safely flash any of the Roms, Kernels and Recoveries found here in the T-Mobile GS3 forum.
    You should also be able to flash any of the mods available, but unless you are on a matching firmware build, YMMV.
    Flashing T999/T999V modems shouldn't harm the phone, but they will not work.

Why wont my camera work after I flashed CM?
    This is a known issue reported by several people on several roms. It seems the fixes are different for some roms, and one or two have no solution as of right now. The most likely cause is a Kernel/Module mismatch. (for example, if you flashed a T999 based rom, but kept your T999L kernel, it will not work as the kernel cannot work with the T999 modules.) In this case, the fix is simple, flash any of the kernel plus modules I have made available. This will flash the kernel, plus its compatible modules and should solve the camera issue. Some have reported this being fixed by flashing the ktoonsez kernel (it includes its own modules).
    In the cases where this does not solve the issue, it may be due to an incorrect module, lib, framework, cameradata, kernel, or any combination of those or possibly something else we have not found yet.

Why is my WiFi and/or Bluetooth not working after flashing a T999 based Rom?
    Most likely this is also due to a kernel/module mismatch. Try flashing one of the kernel plus moudles I have available.

Let me know if you think of any other questions I should add here! Thanks!

:cowboy: Doc :cowboy:
    How To Root!!!

How To Root Your T999L

There are currently three methods I have confirmed working to gain root access. I will list them in recommended order.

Method 1 - The Root66 Way (RECOMMENDED)

Use Odin to flash the ROOT66 Firmware. Download from my firmware thread or mrRobinson's original Root66 thread. (Don't forget to thank mrRobinson for his hard work! He doesn't even have this device, but he still takes the time to fix us up with this firmware!)
    Download the Root66 firmware. Several builds may be available, it is suggested that you use the latest version available, though you should read about any update before taking the plunge!!! (At the time of this writing, NC1 is the latest firmware for the T999L).
    Flash in Odin 3.09 as you would any other firmware. (Place in the AP section) (If still using Odin v3.07, put the firmware in PDA instead of AP like in v3.09)

How to Flash Root66 (or any firmware) In Odin

• Download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers (see my sig)
    • Download and extract Odin 3.09 (see my sig)
    • Download the root66 firmware linked above.
    • Click on the AP button (3.09) or PDA button (3.07) in the middle-right area of Odin.
    • Browse to and select the firmware you downloaded
    • Make sure Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time are the only options checked and that AP (or PDA) is the only other thing checked.
    • TRIPLE CHECK your settings and that you have selected the correct firmware for your model phone and are using the correct options.
    • Click Start to begin the flash. This can take a few minutes, so be patient!
    • Wait at least 5-10 minutes for the system to boot the first time and then build its cache! (It may seem to hang during boot, this is normal and you must be patient!!!)
    :highfive:​

Method 2 - The Recovery Way

Use Odin to flash either CWM or TWRP custom recovery. (use the latest available d2tmo or d2lte version. d2ltetmo versions will have some compatibility issues with certain Roms/Mods)
    Reboot to the custom recovery.
    Flash your preferred superuser app and binary.

You can download Odin, SuperSU, Superuser, TWRP and CWM from my signature.

How to Flash Recovery In Odin

• Download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers from my signature
    • Download and extract Odin 3.09 from my signature
    • Download your preferred recovery in a .tar or .tar.md5 format. (you can get these from my signature.)
    • Click on the AP button in the middle-right area of Odin.
    • Browse to and select the Recovery you downloaded
    • Make sure Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time are the only options checked and that AP is the only other thing checked.
    • TRIPLE CHECK your settings and that you have selected the correct recovery and are using the correct options.
    • Click Start to begin the flash.
    • You may now reboot into your custom recovery and flash the SuperSu.zip to gain root!
    :highfive:

Method 3 - The Motochopper Way

Use the MotoChopper Exploit
    Thread and instructions here: [ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy S4 with Motochopper
    Yes this tutorial is for the S4, but it will work for the T999L as well.

Note: I dont recommend using Motochopper simply because it will be patched against soon. (most likely the next update) So IMO its best to just learn a method you can use again in the future.

Now, Before you do anything else!!!!
    BACKUP YOUR NV-DATA!!!

This will create an On-Device backup of your IMEI and other NV Items.
    Do this and you will not have to keep track of any files as it will be backed up internally, permanently.
    You only have to do this ONCE! It will not go away when you flash Roms, Recoveries, Firmware, etc!

Download and Install the Terminal Emulator from the Play Store.

Open Terminal Emulator and enter the following:

Code:
    su
    reboot nvbackup

The device will reboot and backup all necessary data. That's it!!!

Restoring your NV-Backup

If you do lose your IMEI, all you have to do is open Terminal Emulator and enter the following:

Code:
    su
    reboot nvrestore

Custom Recoveries

What you need to know

Currently, only CWM has a recovery specifically for the T999L. Because of this, you can use Rom Manager to install CWM if you are rooted.
    I do not recommend this however....

I suggest you use either CWM or TWRP for the T999 (d2tmo). It will work just the same and you will not have any of the compatability problems.
    Most devs do not have their roms set up to allow flashing to the T999L, this will solve one part of that problem.

The only drawback to this is that you cannot use Goo Manager or Rom Manager to install/update your recovery.
    Depending on where you get it, the flashable zips for CWM and TWRP may not flash if you try to change/update by flashing from your current recovery. If you use the files I have linked to in my signature, this should not be an issue.

So unless you know for sure that you have a d2tmo recovery installed, I would go ahead and flash one I have available just to get it out of the way.

Mobile Odin

Mobile Odin does not yet support the T999L. I have already submitted the required information to Chainfire, and since it is most likely already completely compatable, I am hoping it will be added in the next update.
    If you are currently running a T999L build, Mobile Odin will immediately tell you it is not supported if you open it. If you are using a T999 Rom, Mobile Odin would most likely work. I base this on the fact that the T999 recoveries will work and Mobile Odin functions in a way as a temporary recovery. Keep in mind, this is nothing more than a guess on my part.

Flashing ROM's To Your T999L

You CAN flash any of the ROM's which are built for the original T999. Pretty much any ROM you find in our Development Section should work on the T999L.
    There are, however, just a few small things that you need to remain aware of.

TouchWiz ROM's
    Touchwiz ROMs are those based on the Stock, Shipped firmware (The software that came on your device)
    If the ROM you choose includes a kernel, everything should work and you have nothing else to worry about.
    If it does NOT come with a kernel, you will most likely have to flash either the UVDMD5 kernel, or the UVAMB7 kernel + Modules. More information and both can be found in my Development thread.
    Either kernel should work just fine. You are free to choose either one. If you run into issues with one, please share the information so everyone else can benefit, and also to confirm for you that it is a kernel problem.

CM / AOSP / AOKP
    Some of these roms will not flash without editing the updater-script. As these roms progress, the devs should add the T999L making this more of a Non-Issue.
    If you get a Status 7 error, you will most likely need to follow these steps to make it flashable.

Unzip the ROM.
    Browse to and open the updater-script (use Notepad+++
    At the top you will see the 'Asserts'
    You have 2 options:
    1. Remove all of the Assert lines.
    2. Add another assert. If the current ones are using d2tmo, add d2ltetmo. If using UVDMD5, add UVAMB7.
    Save and rezip the file. (delete the signatures if present)
    Flash ROM.
    Revert to Stock and Unroot

How To Revert To Stock

Note: Do not forget to use Triangle Away to reset your binary counter if you are planning to make a warranty claim.
    Note2: BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!

Method 1 - Using TWRP or CWM Recovery

Reboot into CWM or TWRP Recovery
    Flash PureStock Rom
    Flash the unmodified, Secure UVAMB7 Kernel
    Flash Stock UVAMB7 Recovery

Next, if you want to wipe everything but your internal SD Card, Factory Reset before rebooting.
    If you want a 100% clean, out of the box type device, reboot Recovery.

Reboot Phone
    (Last chance to run Triangle Away!)
    Open SuperUser/SuperSU (app)
    Find and select the option to Permanantly Unroot.
    Reboot

Method 2 - Using Odin

• Download Odin 3.07 from my signature
      [*]Download Chainfire's Triangle Away to your External SD Card (Thread)
      [*]Download and extract Stock System + Root
      [*]Download Stock Recovery
      [*]Download Stock Kernel
      [*]Open Odin
      [*]Reboot Phone into Download Mode. (Power + Home + Volume Down, Then press Volume Up when prompted.)
      [*]Once in Download Mode, connect the USB/Charger cable to the phone and plug into the USB port on your computer.
      [*]You should now see a COM# port listed toward the top-left of Odin (under ID:COM)
      [*]Click on the PDA button in the middle-right area of Odin.
      [*]Browse to and select the Stock System you downloaded
      [*]Make sure Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time are the only options checked and that PDA is the only other thing checked.
      [*]TRIPLE CHECK your settings and that you have selected the correct firmware for your model phone and are using the correct options.
      [*]If you are using a laptop, make absolutely sure you are plugged in, or if on battery, that it is charged enough and will not go into sleep mode during flash.
      [*]Click Start to begin the flash. This can take a few minutes, so be patient!
      [*]Once complete, in the top-left box in Odin, it will say PASS and the phone should have automatically rebooted.
      [*]You may unplug the phone and close Odin if you wish.
      [*]Wait at least 5-10 minutes for the system to boot the first time and then build its cache! (It may seem to hang during boot, this is normal and you must be patient!!!)
      [*]If the phone still hangs during boot up, hold the power button down until it shuts off, quickly release power and then Immediately repress Power + Home + Volume Up. This will boot recovery. Now Factory Reset and Reboot.

[*]Follow these same steps again for the Stock Kernel and Stock Recovery you downloaded. (Note: You can alternatively now replace all 3, System, Recovery and Kernel, with the official root66 firmware! root66_TMO_T999LUVAMB7.7z)
      [*]DONE!!!

Reboot Phone
    Install Triangle Away and reset the flash counter.
    Reboot and check Triangle Away to see if it still says the counter is at zero.
    Now, to unroot, open SuperUser/SuperSU (app)
    Find and select the option to Permanantly Unroot (Full Unroot or similar)
    Reboot

Next, if you want a 100% clean, out of the box type device, reboot Recovery.
    This will wipe Triangle Away as well as your Internal SD Card.
    Your phone should now be exactly as it was when you powered it on the very first time!

ROMS

For the moment, I will use this area to post ROMs that have had their updater-scripts edited to allow flashing to the T999L.

CM_10.1.2_d2tmo-d2ltetmo-d2can.zip