[ROM][AOSP][Unofficial] CarbonRom KitKat [m7vzw]

Search This thread

mmuzzy

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2010
Henniker
UPDATE 6/2/14: The M7VZW is now officially supported! Download link is now pointing to the official downloads to avoid downloading one of my unofficial builds. I'm not the official build maintainer however.

-----------------------------------------​

About Carbon

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub. and on our Gerrit CarbonDev Gerrit.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features

All of our features can be found on our site here:

Carbon Features

Here are some screenshots:

Carbon Screenshots

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

Download Carbon

All Carbon downloads and further information such as features, changelog, and FAQ can be found on our website.

Carbon Downloads

Changelog

For a detailed changelog, check out the changes made each night here:

Carbon Changelog

Support

We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has addressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.

2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ

3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.

4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.​

Who is Team Carbon?

Find out here:

Carbon Team

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

Contributors
CarbonDev, daxmax
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
Based On: AOSP

-----------------------------------------

Source:
CarbonROM: https://github.com/CarbonDev
Cyanogenmod: https://github.com/CyanogenMod
Kernel: https://github.com/CyanogenMod

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-24-22-48-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-24-22-48-07.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:

mmuzzy

Dec 15, 2010
Henniker
[ROM][AOSP][Unofficial] CarbonRom KitKat [m7vzw] 2-24-14

ART supported?

Via Nexus S7ven

It never occurred to me to check to see if there was something I needed to add in to the device files to support changing the runtime.

EDIT: I'll check to see if the lines are in the build target. I always err on the side of caution and ART wasn't a concern since this was a build for me.

EDIT 2: Testing ART support now.

EDIT 3: Seems to be working just fine. I'll run ART on my phone for now and test.

Last edited:

TheAppleAndroidGuy

Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for the birthday present pal, I've been hoping to see this ROM for a while now!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mmuzzy

Dec 15, 2010
Henniker
ART support

Just a quick update on ART support. After enabling it in developer options and rebooting, things seem to be fine so far. It took a bit after switching the runtime the first reboot but after the 'upgrade' finished there were no FC's and the phone seems to be functioning normally. Any apps that have issues with ART will still have issues though obviously. Having said that, so far so good.

Reactions: fullmetal509

bonzai299

Jun 29, 2010
Yesssssss, mmuzzy. We new more mmuzzy in our lives.

Sent from my One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: mmuzzy

skiman10

Oct 1, 2012
Hey mmuzzy! Good to see you around in these parts, I ran your rom for my nexus 7 2012 a while back. You beat me to the unofficial Carbon-rom haha.

thedrizzle

May 12, 2007
Hey guys,

Here is an unofficial build of the CarbonROM I made for myself and I thought I'd share since it seems to be working pretty well for me. Your mileage may vary though so please nandroid as you normally would when crack flashing. If one of the normal devs was already working on CarbonROM this wasn't me trying to step on toes. I don't intend to do this nightly, or at all if an official build is in the works.

In the meantime, enjoy.

ROM: http://goo.im/devs/mmuzzy/m7vzw/carbon//CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20140224-1729-m7vzw.zip
GAPPs: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip

I've linked the 'standard' GAPPs but I've also had good luck with PA and Banks versions of GAPPs.

Sources:

Thanks to CarbonROM, Cyanogenmod, Flyhalf205, santod040, buckmarble, and everyone else who give us all these great ROMs to chose from.
Hell yes. Finally. Props to you, sir!

Is this running the unified CM kernel, or something else? Not that it matters too much, I'm gonna flash it anyway... :D

Last edited:

mmuzzy

Dec 15, 2010
Henniker
Can you post in the OP any bugs or things not working? How is battery life on this?

I haven't found anything glaringly broken yet. Battery life is decent. I have hours of deep sleep overnight.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Hell yes. Finally. Props to you, sir!

Is this running the unified CM kernel, or something else? Not that it matters too much, I'm gonna flash it anyway... :D

I was viewing on my phone and missed the question. Sorry about that. It's running the CM kernel which seems to be running smoothly as of yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: thedrizzle

mmuzzy

Dec 15, 2010
Henniker
Last edited:
Reactions: pita

jtj1825

Dec 17, 2010
I guess it's just my phone but every time I install this my phone starts roaming until I factory reset it

thedrizzle

May 12, 2007
I was viewing on my phone and missed the question. Sorry about that. It's running the CM kernel which seems to be running smoothly as of yesterday.

No worries...thanks for the reply. I may flash the EliteLunar kernel since it has a few nice features that the CM kernel doesn't, but I'll agree that the CM kernel does run nice and smooth. Thanks again for the port...I hope we can keep this going until Carbon either devs for the m7 or lets someone be an official maintainer. Carbon has been my favorite ROM since its inception.

mmuzzy

Dec 15, 2010
Henniker
No worries...thanks for the reply. I may flash the EliteLunar kernel since it has a few nice features that the CM kernel doesn't, but I'll agree that the CM kernel does run nice and smooth. Thanks again for the port...I hope we can keep this going until Carbon either devs for the m7 or lets someone be an official maintainer. Carbon has been my favorite ROM since its inception.

I'll keep my eyes on the changelog. Now that I've got everything set up it's no big deal to build a ROM now and again when the changes warrant it until an official port.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 6/2/14: The M7VZW is now officially supported! Download link is now pointing to the official downloads to avoid downloading one of my unofficial builds. I'm not the official build maintainer however.

About Carbon

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub. and on our Gerrit CarbonDev Gerrit.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features

All of our features can be found on our site here:

Carbon Features

Here are some screenshots:

Carbon Screenshots

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

Download Carbon

All Carbon downloads and further information such as features, changelog, and FAQ can be found on our website.

Carbon Downloads

Changelog

For a detailed changelog, check out the changes made each night here:

Carbon Changelog

Support

We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has addressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.

2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ

3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.

4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.​

Who is Team Carbon?

Find out here:

Carbon Team

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

Contributors
    CarbonDev, daxmax
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    Based On: AOSP

-----------------------------------------

Source:
    CarbonROM M7VZW is now an official port

For those interested, the Verizon m7vzw is now an official port and can be downloaded at the normal CarbonROM link:
    http://carbon-rom.com/downloads/
    Rom Updated 2-27-14

Op updated. New unofficial CarbonROM build uploaded:
    http://goo.im/devs/mmuzzy/m7vzw/carbon//CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20140227-0915-m7vzw.zip
    ------

From Carbon changelog since last build

Nightly 2-27-2014
    Add Camera to apps affected by Dark Carbon
    Set expanded desktop through profiles
    Speed up boot time for multi-core devices
    Fixed memory leak in settings>InstalledAppDetails

Nightly 2-26-2014
    Made DocumentsUI into a standalone file manager
    Enabled back key when in Emergency Call Dialer
    Other fixes

Nightly 2-25-2014
    Fix derp which caused d2’s not to boot
    Fix SystemUI FC on flo

------
    Thanks for the birthday present pal, I've been hoping to see this ROM for a while now!

Nice. Happy birthday. :)
    http://projectelite.net/actngrezy/buck/lunar/aosp/ this is the kernel I used. There's an exposed module you can download to enable kernel wake actions or there are quite a few kernel tweaker apps in the play store that will allow you to enable it.

Sent from my One using XDA Free mobile app