[Official] Augen Gentouch78 Rooting and Development [Working Android Market!]

Search This thread

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
!IMPORTANT! New IRC name is #augen-dev

Ok guys, I know this might not be the perfect tablet but this seems like it will be a fun device to mess around with. I am going to try to keep this thread as up to date as possible. Please keep this thread clean and RELATED to development - NOT general questions about the tablet!

Augen Gentouch Dev Wiki
http://augendev.wikispaces.com/

IRC DEV Chat for Augen Gentouch-DEVS ONLY!
http://java.freenode.net/
#augen-dev

IRC General Chat for Augen Gentouch
http://java.freenode.net/
#augen-gen

Current Issues and Bugs (more to come)
  • No volume hardkeys - Need get semi-transparent on-screen controls for these function
  • Recovery is useless (Hold Home+Power while booting up) - No way to access functions in Recovery menu
  • Software is a mess - we really need a new recovery, a cleaned up ROM, and overclocking!
  • In adb shell, doing a "reboot recovery" reboots the device to a black screen and doesn't bring up recovery.
  • 7/30/10 - Pattern lock doesn't work after setting it up
  • 7/30/10 - If you have Settings > Applications > Development > Stay Awake checked, the screen stays awake even when unplugged

Development Status

Mods
Setup SetCPU - http://augendev.wikispaces.com/Setup+SetCPU
Setup Auto Memory Manager - http://augendev.wikispaces.com/Setup+Auto+Memory+Manager

I think this is a good start. If anything needs to be added or edited, let me know - preferably via PM to keep this thread clean. If we have any dev out there at all that can provide us with some help, let me know and I will try them on my tablet (or adb). I need to do some more reading on how to compile kernels and ROMs and things. Hopefully the coming update will be an .img file or something useful that we can use to advance the development of this tablet!

Attachments

• setcpu.txt
    47 bytes · Views: 1,190
Last edited:

xguntherc

Mar 25, 2010
Viva Las Vegas!
Excellent.. thanks for posting this. I actually like the Menu, Home, Search and Back button location.. you want this thread mainly about development then huh.. We need a general page also.
There's on screen volume controls while watching a video, but not for music.. thats weird. you'd think they'd do both.

I ran Quadrant and Scored over 300. Just barely below the Moto Droid according to they're results.. Not bad. it was smooth at least. According to Quadrant I was running at 600 Mhz, and the Max Frequency is 600 Mhz, and the min was like 38. so thats pretty low. that could be wrong though. The spec's say 800 Mhz so I'm not sure why it read at 600 Mhz as the max. I'm looking into this all more but it's charging right now.

manfly9884

Sep 15, 2006
Miami
Thanks for putting this up. I got my tablet today and I must say that I kind of like it. Yes, it has all the quirks you mentioned but like you, I feel it has allot of potential.
Will definitely keep up with this.

thatguythatdid

Mar 10, 2010
With your mom :) milf
awesome i'm gonna talk to augen to try to get the adb drivers tommorow. Having a working recovery is very important. I guess they put on a fake radio and that needs to be fixed so that it will stop searching for signal and increase our battery life. I'm wondering if what hardware is on this? since it gives an evdo signal I wonder if it's capable of connecting to a phone service? course i'm not gonna find out till we got a working recovery. I got some time off starting friday so i'll really be able to do some help for this. Oh do you know if flash_image is installed? I ask cuz i'm currently stuck in recovry or something (think i just got a bad device cuz my sdcards wouldn't show)

xguntherc

Mar 25, 2010
Viva Las Vegas!
I feel the same way. i Kinda like it. It's got potential, and I'm sure it will be a fun device for a while. I'm going to use it while I browse forums and watch TV instead of my Nexus One.
Spec's of a G1/Dream. with a 800 Mhz CPU and a 7" screen. I quite like it.

and yea I think they loaded a fake radio also. it has E.. full service, but it does vary and go up and down. it also has been showing Roaming for me the entire day. Mine lists Teleco Loco for the provider instead of like T-Mobile. really odd. I'd like to loose the E symbol all the way like my Nexus does when I'm on Wifi.

I ran the system infomation tab on Quadrant and this is mostly what it says. (not sure if accurate or not)
CPU
Name: ARMv6-compatible
Processor Rev 6 (v6l)
Current Freq: 600 Mhz
Max was also 600 (the specs page says 800 so idk what that is about) (I feel some overclocking is in my future)
Min Freq: 36 Mhz
Cores:1
Architecture: 7
BogoMIPS: 499.71
Hardware: telechips
TCC89/91/92XX Demo Board (haha a demo)
Revision: 6
Serial#: 0000000

Graphics info is very interesting
Arm:
Renderer: Mali-200 is the GPU
Open GL ES-CM 1.1

320x480
Refresh rate: 60hz
Max Texture Units: 8
texture size of 4096

has a TCC92xx 3_axis Accelerameter.

Last edited:

thatguythatdid

Mar 10, 2010
can one of you guys install terminal emulator from the market install it and run these commands?

Code:
cd /system/bin
ls -a

see if flash_image is in there

xguntherc I think the processor is underclocked the guy that did this didn't really know much about android is my guess. I mean he used testkeys for gods sake

Last edited:

xguntherc

Mar 25, 2010
Viva Las Vegas!
yup.. test keys and the software was from 2010 7/20.. it's like 9 days old.

Fresh out the Kitchen. if no one will. I'll run that command for you

xguntherc

Mar 25, 2010
Viva Las Vegas!

Terminal Emulator

or Better Terminal. Doesn't matter. I also found APKatcher, so i'm going to add that to my SD. use there file manager to install is so I can install APK's from email. thats easier for me. I also an going to download the market enabler app to see if that helps. lol.

Anyone notice the Manual mentions when you charge there is a Red indicator light, and will go green when it's fully charged. The light is inside the device and I see it glowing through the Mini USB port.. so i guess thats the indicator, but it's hard to see. haha

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
can one of you guys install terminal emulator from the market install it and run these commands?

Code:
cd /system/bin
ls -a

see if flash_image is in there

xguntherc I think the processor is underclocked the guy that did this didn't really know much about android is my guess. I mean he used testkeys for gods sake

ADB worked right away for me on the tablet so anything you need in ADB I can do. Tell me what else you need me to run.

/system/bin did have a flash_image and I copied it to my card. Let me post it up here in a sec as a .zip

EDIT: flash_image posted. will update OP. Seemed odd that it was only 10kb... Secondly, would it help if I made an .img of all the mtd partitions?

Attachments

• flash_image.rar
    5.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
We should get an IRC going so we can tackle a little more than just back and forth in posts. Anyone up for that??

EDIT: Gonna be up for a little and created an IRC channel. http://java.freenode.net/ #augendev if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

thatguythatdid

Mar 10, 2010
I'm definfitly up for irc that but it's gonna have to be tommorow. I gotta be to work in the morning. But after tommorow i got a week. I guess mine was more messed up than i thought because i couldn't use adb (ruunning windows). So broken sd slot, no adb, tablet not coming on yeah it's definitly messed up. Gonna hopefully exchange. Do wanna say though that with flash_image in there we can definitly get a custom recovery. And if they are doing a update we can use that to make roms. Funs just sttarting :)

xguntherc

Mar 25, 2010
Viva Las Vegas!
:)

I'm exited to see how things go for this bad boy. I'm not very good with all the deep stuff. but I've got most my apps on her now. I've not tried to root yet though.

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Here is a problem that I am having... I have the tablet rooted and I have superuser on here. Odd thing is that when I fire up TB, it just aquires root automatically but it doesn't do that on any of my phones. My guess is that the SU file needs to be modified or I need to put in the correct one to make it so when an app asks for root, it goes through superuser. What do I need to do that?

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Sent an email over to Koush and gave him the link to this thread hoping he can make us a custom recovery! He's a genius so I'm sure it will be nothing for him.

xguntherc

Mar 25, 2010
Viva Las Vegas!
yea the potential is pretty high. I just installed setCPU, but we a rom. and i need to take the time and root it.

I emailed them. The dev also mentioned he'd be adding some sensitivity to the screen controls. Thats a good thing. that's my largest concern right now.

Last edited:

zerozed99

Jun 30, 2010
You guys should just email Augen and tell them that for $1000 you'll fix the mess for them.

They'd be smart to encourage your project regardless...for this device to have any kind of legs, it will need a strong dev community.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How can I power this thing on the go?
    Stupid question, I've got the market working also, but see the same only 300 or so apps. You mention getting a different vending.apk, can you tell me where you got yours, and how can I tell what version I have?

Thanks in advance.

i'll attach the vending.apk I pulled from the other site, also i've done the market unlock for 2.0 listed on the wiki thread. The only other thing i've noticed is that you dont have the option to scroll down in portrait mode, only landscape.
    Gentouchpad, I've got a wifi advanced config editor that will get you on WEP if you're still interested. I mean... we've been working awefully hard to get it working for you...

goodintentions.... what can I say? once WEP and then WPA did not work I was already in the weeds with ethernet cables and laptops laying around, had to flash firmware as a last resort. you know what they say, once you go WPA you never go back.
    Thanks though. I recall numerous others stuck with WEP who are having trouble as well.
    :)
    Did both updates following linckracker's instructions. No problems at all.

Thanks linc!
    dude seriously are you a complete ****ing retard?
    the GT78 does NOT have a stylus, never came with one and doesnt even have aslot to slide a stylus in it.....

now who won the rude and stupid award you looser.

yeah, you a little stupid. its got a stylus, just like pretty much everything else with a resistive touch screen..., and yes this device still does have some promise if some big names would start working on it. but i guess im gonna take mine back and get a rocktab