[WP7 Mango] Zemote - A Zune remote

Search This thread
Currently, if you're in the wrong playlist, all you can do is kill the process, startup Zune, make sure you're in the right one, close Zune, startup Zemote again, make sure you don't double click a song, even when it's asking and go straight to the playlist you were in. Double click a song there, and enjoy! :)
In future versions, I'm thinking of some way to have control over playlists yes. However, I need to think about that still a while...

hmm, it worked once. Now after I closed Zemote I can't get it to run anymore with the dialog box coming up. Zemote opens Zune but then does nothing. I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, still does not work. No connect dialog box anymore.
Is there a setting saved someplace in the registry or ini file that I must clear?

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
hmm, it worked once. Now after I closed Zemote I can't get it to run anymore with the dialog box coming up. Zemote opens Zune but then does nothing. I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, still does not work. No connect dialog box anymore.
Is there a setting saved someplace in the registry or ini file that I must clear?

You could try killing ZuneLauncher.exe and restart Zemote. Still need to find a fix for that...

You could try killing ZuneLauncher.exe and restart Zemote. Still need to find a fix for that...

yeah, I already killed all zune instances including launcher. it's still not coming back like before. It doesn't like me...

edit: ok I think I found the problem. when I play a song from a playlist the connect dialog does not work. However, if I play a song from the songs column (which by design contains the entire library), it does come up and loads the entire libary. When I play a song from a custom playlist it does not work.
I made sure that Zune has the playlist I'd like to use play when I open Zune. Still nothing when I double click a song from that playlist, only when I chose a song from the songs column (entire libary). I repeated this a couple times. Playing a song from a playlist does nothing, but going to songs column and double clicking lauches the connect dialog.

But when the connect dialog counts the songs from the database it loads, it goes up to 37k and stops before loading all songs. When I connect Zemote from the device the dialog window turns green but the app on the phone gives me an error that it cannot connect (immediatly). connection failed, please make sure the Zune software is playing before you start remoting. Zune in the meantime is playing the track I double clicked. Whe I click OK on the error in Zemote on the phone, it disconnects and the connect dialog on the PC is red again. The dialog box is inactive and reporting that it is loading my tracks.

once I kill all instances of Zune and Zemote and try again, nothing works. Zemote starts and runs as a task but it doesn't even launch Zune. I have to reboot to get this to work again and get the connect dialog to come back after launching zemote.

Last edited:

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
yeah, I already killed all zune instances including launcher. it's still not coming back like before. It doesn't like me...

edit: ok I think I found the problem. when I play a song from a playlist the connect dialog does not work. However, if I play the a song from the songs column (which by design contains the entire library), it does come up and loads the entire libary. When I play a song from a custom playlist it does not work.
I made sure that Zune has the playlist I'd like to use play when I open Zune. Still nothing when I double click a song from that playlist, only when I chose a song from the songs column (entire libary). I repeated this a couple times. Playing a song from a playlist does nothing, but going to songs column and double clicking lauchnes the connect dialog.

When the connect dialog counts the songs from the database it loads, it goes up to 37k and stops before loading all songs. When I connect Zemote from the device it turns green but the app on the phone gives me an error that it cannot connect (immediatly). The dialog box is inactive and reporting that it is collecting songs.

once I kill all instances of Zune and Zemote and try again, nothing works. Zemote starts and runs as a task but it doesn't even launch Zune. I have to reboot to get this to work again and get the connect dialog to come back after launching zemote.

Normal behavior is indeed you double click a song from the whole collection... It could be that your RAM usage is going up and up and up wile loading the songs untill 37k? Can you take a look at how many KB it peaks when it freezes loading? Thanks

Normal behavior is indeed you double click a song from the whole collection... It could be that your RAM usage is going up and up and up wile loading the songs untill 37k? Can you take a look at how many KB it peaks when it freezes loading? Thanks

thanks for hanging in there with me. I will create a dummy account and point Zune to a shorter libary of only a few albums (maybe 5) to test.

RAM for ZemotePC.exe is at 774,640Mb peak, nothing outrageous (certainly not an issue with 9Gb total I have on this PC). It always stops at the same count of 37,079 tracks

Last edited:

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
thanks for hanging in there with me. I will create a dummy account and point Zune to a shorter libary of only a few albums (maybe 5) to test.

RAM for ZemotePC.exe is at 774,640Mb peak, nothing outrageous (certainly not an issue with 9Gb total I have on this PC). It always stops at the same count of 37,079 tracks

Well, imagine that this was already your full library, that would have been around 700MB to transfer to your phone. That would take, well, a long long time... Playlist control is certainly needed for you, I think... We're working on that ;)

Reactions: derausgewanderte
Well, imagine that this was already your full library, that would have been around 700MB to transfer to your phone. That would take, well, a long long time... Playlist control is certainly needed for you, I think... We're working on that ;)

great, looking forward to that. cheers
update: tested on dummy account with a 20album Library in Zune. Works great. Looking forward to be able to use this with larger libraries or custom playlists. It's beautiful btw.

Last edited:

cashcroft1

May 3, 2011
But when the connect dialog counts the songs from the database it loads, it goes up to 37k and stops before loading all songs. When I connect Zemote from the device the dialog window turns green but the app on the phone gives me an error that it cannot connect (immediatly). connection failed, please make sure the Zune software is playing before you start remoting. Zune in the meantime is playing the track I double clicked. Whe I click OK on the error in Zemote on the phone, it disconnects and the connect dialog on the PC is red again. The dialog box is inactive and reporting that it is loading my tracks.

I'm, also getting this error. Stops loading at 1264 tracks out of 2102 and telling me that i need to have something playing before remoting (and there is) and peaking at 147,688K

odd seeing as it was working alright in the previous version.

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
I'm, also getting this error. Stops loading at 1264 tracks out of 2102 and telling me that i need to have something playing before remoting (and there is) and peaking at 147,688K

odd seeing as it was working alright in the previous version.

Same question for you, as 2102 isn't that much: Does it always stop at the same number? Have you tried waiting just a little bit? May be the UI thread that gets blocked, but the processing keeps going ... I'm not sure, should test that myself.

cashcroft1

May 3, 2011
Same question for you, as 2102 isn't that much: Does it always stop at the same number? Have you tried waiting just a little bit? May be the UI thread that gets blocked, but the processing keeps going ... I'm not sure, should test that myself.

Always seems to be stopping at the same number and leaving it for about 20 minutes has no change

Fl4v1en

Sep 3, 2008
Lyon
Hello.

To be honest, if there was a Demo of this app, I wouldn't have buyed it :/

I got the app to work one time (but needed to remove and the reinstall .net 4).
Right now, when I Launch Zemote, I have a Zune black screen, then it close and Zemot stay as a process and eat 46Mb of ram.
I can launch unlimited proces like that and killing them does nothing. Rebboting the comp does nothing. Reinstalling Zemote does nothing.

Just to test, I tried installing X86. It asked for an update and did It, but It crashed (but it's okay since I am x64).

Zune alone works perfectly.
I have Metrotwit wich is using .Net 4 runing well too.
My .Net 4 is up to date with Win Update.

Edit :
New things. Today, Zemote PC Has started, but the connection assitante is not launching when playing from the selection screen.

Last edited:

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
Hello.

To be honest, if there was a Demo of this app, I wouldn't have buyed it :/

I got the app to work one time (but needed to remove and the reinstall .net 4).
Right now, when I Launch Zemote, I have a Zune black screen, then it close and Zemot stay as a process and eat 46Mb of ram.
I can launch unlimited proces like that and killing them does nothing. Rebboting the comp does nothing. Reinstalling Zemote does nothing.

Just to test, I tried installing X86. It asked for an update and did It, but It crashed (but it's okay since I am x64).

Zune alone works perfectly.
I have Metrotwit wich is using .Net 4 runing well too.
My .Net 4 is up to date with Win Update.

Edit :
New things. Today, Zemote PC Has started, but the connection assitante is not launching when playing from the selection screen.

Hello,

A demo is on its way! However, that won't help you... So you got it to work? That's great. If the connection window does not pop up, double click a song from the list (do not just hit play, really click one in the list), then Zune will freeze, but no worries ;) Then as soon as it plays, you will see the connection dialog on the PC. Could you try one more time? If you don't get it to work, please e-mail us via our website, and we'll try to help you out!

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
Version 1.2 coming soon!

Including:
- Free trial
- Favourite/unfavourite songs
- Bug fixes

Update for the PC Software released as well, people who had problems with the software while loading your library, that should be fixed now.

Enjoy!

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
Version 1.3 released!

Introducing:
- Live tile
- Album view will keep playing the album
- Playlists support!
- Bug fixes

Fl4v1en

Sep 3, 2008
Lyon
Erf :/
Event with the new Pc software, the app starts randomly.
I can't even get a clue of why.
Fresh Windows start, nothing launch (the first thing I try to launch is Zemote), sometimes the app will start, sometime it will just eat 45Mb of ram and will do nothing.

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
Erf :/
Event with the new Pc software, the app starts randomly.
I can't even get a clue of why.
Fresh Windows start, nothing launch (the first thing I try to launch is Zemote), sometimes the app will start, sometime it will just eat 45Mb of ram and will do nothing.

With "the app" you mean the PC part, right? Well, we know about that problem and we really want to get rid of it. But it seems to happen randomly (as you said) and that makes it very hard to debug. I have just never had it... I hope we can fix it asap, and if you can provide us with info you think that could be useful, please let us know! :)

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
Version 1.4 is now available! Now you can queue up songs you want to hear using Zemote DJ!
If you have ideas for further improvements and releases, please let me know!

I just tried this again. The latest version gives me the same problem I had before. Zemote opens Zune on the PC and it ONLY opens the connector software if I choose a song from the library Zune opens with, which is sorted by song and lists my entire libarary with over 40k songs. If I start playing a song from this list the connector software opens but it takes forever (as we know) to populate the database.
Now, if I instead open a song of a playlist with only a few hundred songs, the connector software does not open at all.

I believe this problem was also present before the playlist option was added. It seems to be back.

thanks

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
I just tried this again. The latest version gives me the same problem I had before. Zemote opens Zune on the PC and it ONLY opens the connector software if I choose a song from the library Zune opens with, which is sorted by song and lists my entire libarary with over 40k songs. If I start playing a song from this list the connector software opens but it takes forever (as we know) to populate the database.
Now, if I instead open a song of a playlist with only a few hundred songs, the connector software does not open at all.

I believe this problem was also present before the playlist option was added. It seems to be back.

thanks

Hello,

If you want to please help us resolving this problem. I don't have 40k tracks, so testing this is quite a problem. My guess is that it hangs when your memory is full or something similar... At what point does it hang?

Indeed, starting directly with a playlist is not the way you should go, because we cannot get your full library then. However, it was a nice try.

Are you interested in being a debugger? Please PM me :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everybody,

Zemote is a Zune remote (and there you got the name :D) to control your music playback with your Windows Phone! You can now sit back and relax while using your phone as a music remote for your PC.

Zemote features:
    • Play, pause, skip and previous command
    • Turn repeat and shuffle on and off
    • Change volume or mute
    • Find songs in a track list
    • Use the album view to find songs of a particular album
    • Search everything you want with a custom search
    • Nice and easy-to-use interface in Metro UI style, mixed with our own style
    For more information, you can always take a look on our website here.

If you want to see how it looks, you can check out the attached screenshots below.

I'm sorry, but...
    This app comes at a price. You will need $1.99 to buy it in the Marketplace. That's because I really like WP7 and I'd like to buy me one of those shortly :)
    If you like this, you cannot donate to me, but however you can recommend Zemote to all of your friends and family, and that could be a donation too.

You can like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter if you want to stay updated on this. Or just subscribe to this thread. :)

Greetings,
    MadMatt, DreamDevelopment.
    Sweet!

Just purchased this on the marketplace and it works great (Win7 Ultimate x64/ Zune 4.8.2345.0/ HD2 Mango). I've been waiting for a Zune remote control app so am delighted that this has been released.

I simply added the PC Zemote app to my firewall exeptions list and it connected in seconds.

It would be great to be able to select Artists in the same way we can select Albums. That would then bring up all albums by that artist and you can then select the album, and then song. The only other suggestions, for future updates, would be to allow Zemote to run in background on WP7, so you don't have to reconnect when you resume (if thats possible on Mango), and an autoconnect option so the app connects to your nominated PC as soon as you launch it.

Great work and congratulations to all involved on making this fantastic app.

Thankyou.
    Sounds awesome! Zune is an amazing player but it's crippled by lack of global hotkeys.
    finally got it working. not sure what it was, it worked first time using the other router (still had to use my ip address though) then tried it again on the superhub and it works :D

Thanks a lot for the help, great app and will be used a lot :D
    ok, I installed Zemote and ran the zemoteupdate. it installed and the connect dialog box is finally showing up and counting songs (it didn't yesterday even after running update).
    thank you

if I don't pay attention to be on a shorter playlist and it's loading the entire database, is there a way to cancel the process and loading a shorter playlist for future versions?

thanks again.

Currently, if you're in the wrong playlist, all you can do is kill the process, startup Zune, make sure you're in the right one, close Zune, startup Zemote again, make sure you don't double click a song, even when it's asking and go straight to the playlist you were in. Double click a song there, and enjoy! :)
    In future versions, I'm thinking of some way to have control over playlists yes. However, I need to think about that still a while...