[28-06-10][App] Flix Cinema listings for UK, FR, DE, ES, IT, US/Canada, Australia

Search This thread

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
Hi mate..

Just a heads up.. I am running one of the latest rom builds with 23028
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=540444

the taskbar doesnt disappear anymore.. so you end up with navigation buttons being inaccessible...

thought it might be helpful to know...

Thanks for that - when you say taskbar, do you mean the one across the top or the one at the bottom where Flix would have the "Back" button for example? I get mixed up between task bar/statusbar... Must be a hark back to my SE days... :) anyway, if you let me know what becomes inaccessible I can possibly sort something...

Konradwalsh

Aug 10, 2006
Galway
ill will try and get a screenshot for ya

i think the taskbar is at the top and status bar at the bottom. However, i am talking about the taskbar at the top.

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
OK, I guess it's blocking off the left/right buttons on the screens?

These are gone in the latest release (just uploaded!) so that it's now a scroller. I guess there may be a potential for the top item to perhaps be hidden though, but let me know and i'll see what I can work out :)

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
Great app!!! Need this for Russian Federation!!!is there any possibility?

If there is a source of data for Russia, then it's possible - Flix doesn't *have* to use Yahoo, it's just that was the easiest to code around...

I can look at this for a future release but there are other changes to make first I think...

Jake Bullit

Dec 22, 2006
Could some-one post a link for the.NET Compact Framework cab file thats works with this SW.cHEERS.

BlitzWing00

Jun 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC
twitter.com
Okay Version 1.0.9.0 seems to work for me in Vancouver Canada now. But it will crash everytime I try to ignore any theaters (clicking on the popcorn).

I also noticed while updating theater info, since it takes so long, my device will go into hibernation mode. This makes the program vulnerable to hanging & crashing. Also if I try to goto my today screen while downloading it'll unstablize my device and I can't get back into Flix and my device will be severely slowed down until Flix crashes or I soft reset.

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
Okay Version 1.0.9.0 seems to work for me in Vancouver Canada now. But it will crash everytime I try to ignore any theaters (clicking on the popcorn).

I also noticed while updating theater info, since it takes so long, my device will go into hibernation mode. This makes the program vulnerable to hanging & crashing. Also if I try to goto my today screen while downloading it'll unstablize my device and I can't get back into Flix and my device will be severely slowed down until Flix crashes or I soft reset.

OK - I do seem to be able to replicate that error here. Not much changed around there so it should be something simple.

I'm already looking at stopping the device sleeping while updating as well, as I've found on the odd occasion it can mess up the update.

Hopefully I'll have a new build available later today if the problems aren't too tricky to fix.

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
Version 1.0.9.1 has now been added to the first post.

This resolves the problem with adding cinemas to be ignored from the cinema info page, and I've also put in some functionality to stop the device sleeping while the update in progress. Hopefully this will make the download more reliable!

Deixi

Feb 28, 2007
Graz
possible version for Austria

Can you please add Austrian cinemas to your wonderful application, or is there a way that one could add sources himself?

Deixi

aspring

Feb 12, 2008
Duplicates Theaters

This program reminds me of a Palm program I used way back in the day called ShowTimes. I used it frequently and greatly missed it when I moved to Windows Mobile. Thank you for putting this together!
When looking up theaters using my home zip code I wouldn't get a couple of other nearby theaters I go to. I then addded another zip code closer to the additional theaters and updated the listings.
I now have a few duplicate theaters when looking at the list of theaters, with the same information within the duplicates. Is there some way to keep the program from creating two theater entries when zip code results overlap.
An ideal option would be to allow expanding the distance of results determined from a zip code location.

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
This program reminds me of a Palm program I used way back in the day called ShowTimes. I used it frequently and greatly missed it when I moved to Windows Mobile. Thank you for putting this together!
When looking up theaters using my home zip code I wouldn't get a couple of other nearby theaters I go to. I then addded another zip code closer to the additional theaters and updated the listings.
I now have a few duplicate theaters when looking at the list of theaters, with the same information within the duplicates. Is there some way to keep the program from creating two theater entries when zip code results overlap.
An ideal option would be to allow expanding the distance of results determined from a zip code location.

This should be possible - during my testing I never got locations that returned duplicates, but it is of course possible.

Setting a "distance" isn't really possible, as I am simply processing what the Yahoo site returns for a given location, however using the same logic as ignoring cinemas the user chooses, I can make it ignore cinemas that are already in the database.

I am away for a week from later tomorrow so I don't know if I'll get this done before then, but will add it to the list of jobs :)

garyjmobey

Feb 9, 2006
Edinburgh
Just to let you know on Dutty's leo r2 rom

it manages to do the update
but subsequently choosing cinema or film causes an out-of-memory error

tjex

Aug 19, 2008
Vancouver
Doesn't seem to work very well in Vancouver, BC.
Using the GPS it sets it as V6H and gives no listings.
Setting it manually and entering Vancouver, BC it only bring up a handful of theaters.

Any ideas?

sysme999

Jun 6, 2009
Like this app..!!

OK.. I've been using this for a few weeks and the good news is it works really well.. As a minor minor thing the display window for Sound System in the list of Cinemas is too small, so if there is more than 1 line of information the rest of the info wraps below the text box window and can't be read (I was using the settings for United Kingdom, Reading and check out the Vue Cinemas entry to see what I mean). This doesn't affect functionality at all so simply cosmetic so no need to fall over trying to fix it right away :D

Other than that I sometimes get trouble with updating via Post Code (It usually says there's no cinemas available) but this could be the source of the information where the trouble might be so just mentioning it (if you try about 3 times it eventually works it out and updates :)) I get no problem updating via a city name but it misses off one of the cinemas local to my area but suspect that has something to do with it's city/town address listing..

Last thing (and this might be a HTC Diamond 1 thing) if you click on all viewing times from the cinema view (using the clock icon) it often throws up an OutOfMemoryException and a long list of details that I can't type in this reply! I can get round it by clicking on the clock for the individual film in movie view.
Phone is running Build 21054 WM 6.1 with Manilla 2.1 provided by Yozgatg

Thank you for this useful app.. :)