You brick it give these guys thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
My guess is that all Europeans are 30.B3.

Probably be we need to know for sure, makes complete sense. That being said it looks like moto has changed the game in regards to flashing other carrier sbf firmware with different boot loaders, must be confirmed . you may be able to to go from 30.B3 to 30.B4 but not the other way . hopefully we shall find out

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

Julianocas

Mar 29, 2012
Probably be we need to know for sure, makes complete sense. That being said it looks like moto has changed the game in regards to flashing other carrier sbf firmware with different boot loaders, must be confirmed . you may be able to to go from 30.B3 to 30.B4 but not the other way . hopefully we shall find out

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

I was on 4.4 Ret BR (Brazil) and I've unlocked the bootloader in order to flash the Ret DE (German) 4.4.2.

One day after that, the OTA for Ret BR came out and I was unable to return to Ret BR 4.4, since the bootloader was newer on Ret DE.

Than, I've flash the Ret BR without flashing the bootloader by changing the script for RSD. So I copy the OTA of 4.4.2 Ret BR to root and install it, changing the bootloader to 30.B4.

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
I was on 4.4 Ret BR (Brazil) and I've unlocked the bootloader in order to flash the Ret DE (German) 4.4.2.

One day after that, the OTA for Ret BR came out and I was unable to return to Ret BR 4.4, since the bootloader was newer on Ret DE.

Than, I've flash the Ret BR without flashing the bootloader by changing the script for RSD. So I copy the OTA of 4.4.2 Ret BR to root and install it, changing the bootloader to 30.B4.

Do you happen to remember what the boot loader number was for the DE firmware? What did you change in the script for it to flash

Sent on my Lenoto A2109 tablet :) :)

piccit

Dec 16, 2011

It's well established that you can't downgrade (i.e. 4.4.2 bootloader to 4.4 bootloader).

No one has any idea if you can side-grade (i.e 4.4.2 UK to 4.4.2 some NA version). I haven't seen any evidence of anyone trying so I'm not sure why people are speculating that it'd be an issue.

Edit: sorry, I misread your post. Are you saying that you did eventually flash the Brazil bootloader?

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
It's well established that you can't downgrade (i.e. 4.4.2 bootloader to 4.4 bootloader).

No one has any idea if you can side-grade (i.e 4.4.2 UK to 4.4.2 some NA version). I haven't seen any evidence of anyone trying so I'm not sure why people are speculating that it'd be an issue.

Edit: sorry, I misread your post. Are you saying that you did eventually flash the Brazil bootloader?

We don't know but we need some straight forward info of what can and can not be done, there's far to many people screwing up their phones since the last firmware upgrade, to much miss info

Julianocas

Mar 29, 2012
Do you happen to remember what the boot loader number was for the DE firmware? What did you change in the script for it to flash

Sorry, can't remember the bootloader number.

<step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" />
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />

No, I've just downgrade the rest maintaining the bootloader from Ret DE. The system recognized that it was 4.4 Ret BR, even with Ret DE bootloader, and I could insert the OTA at root folder and install it. Since the OTA was loaded with the newest bootloader, it wasn't a problem to replace the German one...

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
Sorry, can't remember the bootloader number.

<step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" />
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />

No, I've just downgrade the rest maintaining the bootloader from Ret DE. The system recognized that it was 4.4 Ret BR, even with Ret DE bootloader, and I could insert the OTA at root folder and install it. Since the OTA was loaded with the newest bootloader, it wasn't a problem to replace the German one...

Ok

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
If you manually flash with fast boot, you can sidegrade, or conversely you can with rsd lite without changing the script. I know this because when I returned one of my moto x I reflashed back to stock... Which is a sidegrade. The caveat with all the flashing is that you cannot downgrade the boot loader.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ CAREFULLY
    WARNING
    Deleted due to lack of respect, you brick you fix it
    Thanks go to these guys
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2658639
    according to the above, it appears it depends on the situation. it's possible that those reporting bricked devices previously after upgrading to 4.4.2, then downgrading to 4.4, then upgrading to 4.4.2 again may have been flashing the wrong thing. maybe it included a bootloader. there is always the potential for user error and someone flashing the absolute wrong things.
    i would just warn people that it is possible to brick your device, not that it 100% positively will since there are now people reporting that you can not only downgrade from 4.4.2 but that you can even go back up to it via OTA
    so far it seems that if you have an XT1053, it is possible to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4 and upgrade via OTA back to 4.4.2 without bricking, sans bootloader when downgrading

Right. I have not seen a post where anyone actually had issues trying to do that. All the issues have come from people trying to downgrade to 4.2.2 and then take an OTA.

If the OTA you're trying to take is going to try to install the same bootloader that you already have, then that is not going to be an issue.
    @flashallthetime Just to clarify the regional compability across Moto X firmware:
    1. All European ROMs work fine on XT1058 and XT1053 (Latin America (all - Brazilian, Puerto Rico etc.), but European radios cause network loss. So, just leave radio you have or flash any american (Latin or US, except Verizon) and everything should be fine. Tested on my XT1058 Puerto Rico. And, of cause, vise versa, i.e. american FW works fine on european models, except radio.
    2. About CDMA models (Verizon, Sprint, US cellular etc.) I can not say anything that is different from GSM models. Should be the same.
    3. If you flash any XT1058 radio to XT1053 (for example) you do not unlock additional LTE bands.
    4. And, of cause, you can flash flash different firmware only if your bootloader is unlocked. If your bootloader is locked you will get a brick.

P.S. This is widely discussed in russian Moto X forums on 4pda.ru, because Moto X is not officially released in Russia and there are a lot of people ordered Moto X from different regions.
    Rogers Canada XT1058 with kitkat 4.4.2 has bootloader version 30.B4