Clicking noise with haptic feedback

Search This thread

vuo

Aug 16, 2013
Just wondering if anyone us hearing an audible clicking noise coming from the phone when typing with vibrate on keypress switched on. For me it's every five or so key presses there is an audible click noise, as if the vibrating part hits something.it's not too loud, but loud enough to be heard. If you use a keyboard that lets you change the vibration duration, shorter durations such as 10ms or below results in it happening every keypress.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

vuo

Aug 16, 2013
Did you also hear the same noise when going in and out of the camera?

Just wanted to know if it's normal really or if I should be seeking a replacement. Have a feeling it's going to get annoying!

WillDroid

Sep 29, 2010
I get them both too, don't think it's anything to worry about.
The camera one is something to do with auto focus as far as I'm aware, and I use Google Keyboard from the Play store with swiping to type so I don't notice the haptic feedback one as much any more.

Bill

Bigitup

Dec 9, 2013
Just wondering if anyone us hearing an audible clicking noise coming from the phone when typing with vibrate on keypress switched on. For me it's every five or so key presses there is an audible click noise, as if the vibrating part hits something.it's not too loud, but loud enough to be heard. If you use a keyboard that lets you change the vibration duration, shorter durations such as 10ms or below results in it happening every keypress.

This is driving me slowly nuts. I type pretty fast using SwiftKey which seems to make it more noticeable. I guess the shorter it vibrates the more it clicks or taps or whatever it's doing to make the annoying noise.

Is there anyone that DOESN'T get this? I'm seriously tempted to return it at this point in the hope of getting one that doesn't make a tapping clicking noise when it vibrates on touch. So it would be good to know if there are people out there who haven't experienced this.

jfinnie

May 3, 2011
I have two Moto G's at the moment.
The first one has a permanently stuck on blue pixel in the middle of the screen.
So I bought another (to transfer across and then refund the first). The second unit has this click with haptics.
The tone of the vibrate / haptic is noticeably different between the two phones too (the clicking unit sounds much buzzier).
So thumbs up for Moto Quality Control... :(

Reactions: LudicrousPeed

jfinnie

May 3, 2011
I took the phone which makes this noise with the haptics on apart, and can confirm that the noise is not from the buttons on the side rattling or any other part in the back of the phone. It sounds to me like it is making some component of the earpiece or the front camera rattle.

For anyone interested, here is a photo of the inside of the back cover that I took:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-_YzKUQ1hkzTVd4NW5HbGJ4R0k

LudicrousPeed

Jul 11, 2012
The first one has a permanently stuck on blue pixel in the middle of the screen.
So I bought another (to transfer across and then refund the first). The second unit has this click with haptics.
The tone of the vibrate / haptic is noticeably different between the two phones too (the clicking unit sounds much buzzier).

So we have one person confirming that at least one device does not have the rattling vibration. Mine definitely has this and it's sounding from those I've asked that it is more common than not. Well this sucks. I guess I can go without haptic at all. Because it's darn annoying. Sounds like a cheap toy. I'm still slightly tempted to return mine and see if the next one they send does not have the rattle.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

This is what mine sounds like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmJPscnVodg
Does yours sound like that? It's really annoying and sould like a defect. At least I hope that's a defect because it's horrible.

jfinnie

May 3, 2011
From those I've talked with, that's actually the more common experience. If you don't have the rattle, you lucked out.

I think you are correct - at least for units currently on sale via Tesco in the UK. My update - 3 of the 4 I've had through my hands have had the rattle. 2 have had stuck pixels (one which disappeared of it's own accord). So:
Phone 1: Quiet vibrate + 1 perma-stuck pixel + case corner creaking
Phone 2: Clicky vibrate
Phone 3: Clicky vibrate + stuck pixel (fixed itself)
Phone 4: Clicky vibrate

Did you buy through Tesco? I wonder if they got em cheap... they are certainly selling them cheaper than everywhere else.

I am beginning to think this is a characteristic - but it does detract a bit from the experience (especially with haptics turned on at the factory).
You could reduce the haptic duration for the AOSP keyboard which improves things while texting (try 10-13ms), and disable system haptics for other stuff.

btk97

Aug 5, 2013
Guys, did we get a conclusion if this is normal on this device? Mine does this as well.

Thanks

Last edited:

LudicrousPeed

Jul 11, 2012
Guys, did we get a conclusion if this is normal on this device? Mine does this as well.

Thanks

I think it is pretty normal. It's just cheap. Although it just might be a failure to properly attach the vibrating mechanism to whatever it attaches too. I have talked to some people with even the Moto x and they said that all of a sudden one day, theirs started making this sound. As if it detached. I have also seen a Nexus 4 with the issue.

In all likelihood, if you got a different Moto G, it will have the same issue. But it's really not bad at all if you turn haptic feedback off in general and for the your keyboard input.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.