WARNING! Do not update to 8.1 if your phone is CDMA

Search This thread

reker

May 23, 2009
Shanghai
HTC 8X/8S
HUAWEI W1
Confirmed brick after 8.1 developer update with CDMA network.

Lumia 822 Verizon
Confirmed no problem if you use GSM/WCDMA.

If you have already bricked your phone, try this:
1.Power down phone by pressing Power button.
2.Press Power button and Volume +/- button at the same time, phone will go to flash mode.
3.Press Camera button for 5 seconds to power off your phone.
4.insert a GSM/WCDMA SIM card in your phone and turn on phone.

It seems that 8.1 not compatible with CDMA SIM card.

Last edited:

starsoccer9

Jun 8, 2009
HTC 8X/8S
HUAWEI W1

Lumia 822 Verizon

2.Press Power button and Volume +/- button at the same time, phone will go to flash mode.

I have it on my htc 8xt and its working fine. Well I am having lockscreen issues but the network is working fine for me on sprint.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
That is so far from something you could call a "brick" it's not funny. "Brick" means un-recoverable. If you can "un-brick" something without diassembling it or at least using hardware a normal user couldn't have access to, it's not a brick!

Also, has anybody else actually had this problem? A few people seem to indicate that they have *not*...

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
No cellular data after hard reset

I by no means have a brick, but I do now have an issue. Here’s what happened.

I have a Sprint ATIV S Neo, GDR3, Interop-unlock, the whole deal.
Installed the 8.1 update yesterday, and everything was working. I have been playing with all kinds of “stuff” in the registry and such, so I decided that since I had just installed 8.1 I would start fresh and do a hard reset. I don’t really care about keeping interop-unlock at this point. Even with it, so much is still locked down. I’m sure in the future someone will get this cracked and we can really have fun, but until then, just being developer unlocked is good enough.

So, when I got home I reset the phone (power+volume down, exclamation point, then the remaining sequence).

Phone boots back up, and I connect to my WiFi and set everything back up. I think life is wonderful at this point. Then decide to test my 4G download speed so I turn off wifi.

Oops, no cellular data, phone calls and text are fine (didn’t try mms, but probably doesn’t work, blank url in the provisioning). Tried all the usual tricks (##72786# and such). I have my msl, so I go into the provisioning, and things look messed up. My MDN and MSID are 000003872. That makes no sense, so I set them back to the correct values and still no go.

Called Sprint. They ran me through all the usual things that I had already done (hour on the phone with them).

Long story short: The activation program seems to be missing from my phone. Hands free activation never tries to start, in fact, after hard resetting again and watching closely, during setup it says “Activate your device can’t be opened”. And the network settings are missing from the settings menu.

So after work I’m going to take it to Sprint and hopefully they have a factory image they can flash (hopefully an older version so I can update things myself).

My thinking is that the 8.1 update is basically the new rom, but during install doesn't delete the existing carrier programs. When I hard reset, all that got re-installed was the strictly Microsoft stuff, not the carrier specific items i.e. hands free activation.

PS Sorry about the novel...

Last edited:

reker

May 23, 2009
Shanghai
That is so far from something you could call a "brick" it's not funny. "Brick" means un-recoverable. If you can "un-brick" something without diassembling it or at least using hardware a normal user couldn't have access to, it's not a brick!

Also, has anybody else actually had this problem? A few people seem to indicate that they have *not*...

HTC confirmed this yesterday, they awared the problem and contacting with MS. Announcement by HTC China
The problem covered both HTC 8s(A620D) and 8x(C620d)

8X/8S have similar but more serious problem with gdr1 - gdr2 upgrade last year, even can't boot into SPL.
By the way, to normal users, if their phone turn into black screen and can't boot, it's a brick. No one will care about if it's a real brick, what they know is: I can't use my phone, it's not working, just like a brick.

Last edited:

fatdata

Apr 15, 2014

Installed the 8.1 update yesterday, and everything was working. I have been playing with all kinds of “stuff” in the registry and such, so I decided that since I had just installed 8.1 I would start fresh and do a hard reset. I don’t really care about keeping interop-unlock at this point. Even with it, so much is still locked down. I’m sure in the future someone will get this cracked and we can really have fun, but until then, just being developer unlocked is good enough.

So, when I got home I reset the phone (power+volume down, exclamation point, then the remaining sequence).

Phone boots back up, and I connect to my WiFi and set everything back up. I think life is wonderful at this point. Then decide to test my 4G download speed so I turn off wifi.

Oops, no cellular data, phone calls and text are fine (didn’t try mms, but probably doesn’t work, blank url in the provisioning). Tried all the usual tricks (##72786# and such). I have my msl, so I go into the provisioning, and things look messed up. My MDN and MSID are 000003872. That makes no sense, so I set them back to the correct values and still no go.

Called Sprint. They ran me through all the usual things that I had already done (hour on the phone with them).

Long story short: The activation program seems to be missing from my phone. Hands free activation never tries to start, in fact, after hard resetting again and watching closely, during setup it says “Activate your device can’t be opened”. And the network settings are missing from the settings menu.

So after work I’m going to take it to Sprint and hopefully they have a factory image they can flash (hopefully an older version so I can update things myself).

My thinking is that the 8.1 update is basically the new rom, but during install doesn't delete the existing carrier programs. When I hard reset, all that got re-installed was the strictly Microsoft stuff, not the carrier specific items i.e. hands free activation.

i got the same issue with my ativ s.
everything works except mobile data.

is there some settings i can try since i didnt do a hard reset but the normal reset from the phones "about" menu.
my network is WIND greece.

iknowsingh

Sep 17, 2008

No need to apologize for the novel! I did the SAME exact thing as you (except I hard resetted via settings > about > more info > reset your phone). Luckily I know my MSL, and have my MSID handy. I wiped my settings by doing ##72786# and selecting ok twice. I rebooted my phone manually and then went to the 'activate my device' app in settings. It did what looked like a profile update and it said my phone was successfully activated with my phone number listed.

I can browse the web on Sprint's network, make/receive calls and send/receive texts. The only thing I can't figure out to fix is MMS. I can't get or send picture mail, group texts or any kind of MMS at all.

I've managed to get my coworkers settings from his ATIV S Neo but I can't figure out how to edit them on my phone. Going into ##3282# doesn't let me edit things that deeply.

From what I've heard on other forums is that we're basically SOL unless Sprint releases their firmware updates and their release of 8.1 soon (which they have confirmed they will do this summer).

I figured from the get go when this started yesterday that this 8.1 release doesn't seem to properly support CDMA and judging by how many people have this issue, I was correct. Microsoft really needs to work better on the CDMA side of things.

ZogJones

Apr 15, 2014

I saw your reply to my thread for the same issue. I did some research on WP Central and found another thread where someone was having the same issue with an Ativ S and the solution was to manually enter the APN information. I don't know what the APN info is for Sprint, but when I checked it on my phone it was blank. It seems like a safe bet that updating that info would fix the issue.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

No need to apologize for the novel! I did the SAME exact thing as you (except I hard resetted via settings > about > more info > reset your phone). Luckily I know my MSL, and have my MSID handy. I wiped my settings by doing ##72786# and selecting ok twice. I rebooted my phone manually and then went to the 'activate my device' app in settings. It did what looked like a profile update and it said my phone was successfully activated with my phone number listed.

I can browse the web on Sprint's network, make/receive calls and send/receive texts. The only thing I can't figure out to fix is MMS. I can't get or send picture mail, group texts or any kind of MMS at all.

I've managed to get my coworkers settings from his ATIV S Neo but I can't figure out how to edit them on my phone. Going into ##3282# doesn't let me edit things that deeply.

From what I've heard on other forums is that we're basically SOL unless Sprint releases their firmware updates and their release of 8.1 soon (which they have confirmed they will do this summer).

I figured from the get go when this started yesterday that this 8.1 release doesn't seem to properly support CDMA and judging by how many people have this issue, I was correct. Microsoft really needs to work better on the CDMA side of things.

Would you be willing to post the settings? I am guessing that the issue may be partially related to APN settings being missing under Settings, Cellular+SIM, SIM settings. I read a post by someone on another forum who had the same data issues but fixed them by entering the APN information for his carrier. I've tried a couple of different APN settings that I've found out on the web for Sprint, but I'm not sure they are accurate. All I know is that they were missing when I checked them on my phone.

fatdata

Apr 15, 2014
i have fixed my issue with some internet research.

adding manually the APN of the provider in the APN settings solved the issue for me.

hope i helped.

iknowsingh

Sep 17, 2008
Would you be willing to post the settings? I am guessing that the issue may be partially related to APN settings being missing under Settings, Cellular+SIM, SIM settings. I read a post by someone on another forum who had the same data issues but fixed them by entering the APN information for his carrier. I've tried a couple of different APN settings that I've found out on the web for Sprint, but I'm not sure they are accurate. All I know is that they were missing when I checked them on my phone.

I would not mind at all! I went into ##3282# on his phone, selected 'view' then 'others' then 'MMSC URL' . The two pictures are attached, the order of the settings begins with the picture that says 'globalroaming@WAP'. The second pic is literally a continuation as it starts right where the first picture ends (I scrolled neatly!)

I've been trying to find the correct Sprint APN settings around the web, and a lot of sites have similar settings as options but either Windows Phone doesn't have enough fields for the settings, and the fact that in the APN settings on 8.1, it doesn't let me change the authentication type.

I noted on my coworker's ATIV S Neo that in his 'cellular+SIM' section, he doesn't have options to input APN like I do... the hard reset must've kicked the CDMA stuff in our phones to the curb.

Attachments

• mmsc01.jpg
    mmsc01.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 458
  • mmsc02.jpg
    mmsc02.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 391
Reactions: ZogJones

fatdata

Apr 15, 2014
Would you mind posting the APN settings you used? That would be appreciated... I've tried going to various sites but wasn't sure what was the correct ones.

they are for greek providrs though... I think you need to find the ones for your provider.

note: i just used the GPRS APN address for wind (my provider) and it worked the rest seemed to not make any diference

VODAFONE
GPRS APN: - internet.vodafone.gr ή webonly.vodafone.gr
Username: - {κενό}
Password: - {κενό}
MCC=202
MNC=05
APN type=default
DNS: - 213.249.17.10, 213.249.17.11

WIND
GPRS APN: - gnet.b-online.gr ή gint.b-online.gr
Username: - {κενό}
Password: - {κενό}
MCC=202
MNC=10
APN type=default
DNS: - 212.152.79.19, 212.152.79.20

Last edited:
Reactions: iknowsingh

iknowsingh

Sep 17, 2008
they are for greek providrs though... I think you need to find the ones for your provider.

note: i just used the GPRS APN address and it worked the rest seemed to not make any diference

Ahhhh, Vodafone... I assumed you were a Sprint brethren... I appreciate your post nonetheless! Thank you, sir. Now to continue the hunt for correct Sprint settings -_-

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
Just got back from two Sprint stores and a Best Buy with Samsung reps on hand. None of them had access to any means of reflashing to stock, and really had no useful information. I was surprised by how little they knew about any Windows phones.

I do have TEP though, and they ordered me a new phone. I should have it in a few days. Costing me nothing :)

Wish I had something useful to tell you folks...

Reactions: iknowsingh

iknowsingh

Sep 17, 2008
Just got back from two Sprint stores and a Best Buy with Samsung reps on hand. None of them had access to any means of reflashing to stock, and really had no useful information. I was surprised by how little they knew about any Windows phones.

I do have TEP though, and they ordered me a new phone. I should have it in a few days. Costing me nothing :)

I actually work for a Sprint store (non service/repair location) and I don't have TEP. I actually DO have an upgrade available since I bought the ATIV S Neo off-contract. I wouldn't mind using my upgrade on another ATIV S Neo... and whatever Windows Phones Sprint gets in the future, I'll have to buy off contract (which is nothing new to me lol).

I could technically add TEP to my line and wait a few days then do an advanced exchange at a local repair center but I'll most likely get a refurb as most of them are. I'd rather a brand new device :p

So I'm currently debating using my upgrade...

ZogJones

Apr 15, 2014

Did you mention the update to 8.1 or did you just play dumb? I am thinking I am going to have to do the same thing as you but I don't want to walk in there and tell them that I did the update and have them tell me I'm SOL.

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
Did you mention the update to 8.1 or did you just play dumb? I am thinking I am going to have to do the same thing as you but I don't want to walk in there and tell them that I did the update and have them tell me I'm SOL.

I was completely honest, gave them the whole story from start to finish. Even pointed out some of the cool features of 8.1 :laugh:

If this was the new Galaxy they might have given me a hard time, who knows.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC 8X/8S
    HUAWEI W1

Lumia 822 Verizon

Verizon MMS working on Ativ Odyssey

Update 4/16/2015 - Been playing around with this and checking registry files and found a simpler way: Open Celllular+SIM under Settings, toggle on manual APN, and set APN to vzwinternet andIP type to IPv4 leaving all other fields blank and then save. Click MMS APN and set APN to vzwinternet, MMSC URL to http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms?Vzw-MDN=YOUR 10 DIGIT PHONE NUMBER, Max MMS Size to 1200 and finally IP type as IPv4. Simple as that. If this doesn't work feel free to try the lengthy instructions below.

Got mms back on my Odyssey using these settings for Verizon. Make sure the APN app in Settings , not to be confused with apn app from Samsung, is set to vzwinternet. Open Celllular+SIM under Setting. Toggle data connection on and select "use cellular data." Click on SIM settings and set Mode selection to LTE, GSM, or UMTS, highest connection speed to 4g, and network selection choose auto or scan but make sure you connect to Verizon LTE in the notification window. After making a connection toggle on manual Internet APN and set APN to vzwinternet and IP type to IPv4 leaving all other fields blank and then save. Click MMS APN and set APN to vzwinternet, WAP gateway to mms.vtext.com, MMSC URL to http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms?X-VZW-MDN=(your 10 digit phone number; Ex 1234567890.) , and finally IP type as IPv4. Click save then close the Cellular+SIM app making sure you still have an LTE connection and are in LTE, GSM, UMTS mode. Now open the Messaging app and in it's settings there should be a blank windows for SMS service number. Add your 10 digit mobile number (ex: 1234567890) and click save but DO NOT close the Messaging settings page. Instead after saving your number do a soft reset using the power+volume down buttons. Not sure if this matters or not but it's what I did so DO IT!!! :D . After reboot, return to Cellular+SIM app and click once again on SIM settings and change Mode selection to LTE + CDMA and exit. If at first MMS fails try toggling Airplane mode, Data connection, or even a soft reset and double check your Internet and MMS APN settings. Working for me :victory:
    Factory resetting the phone after changing a registry value is like demolishing your house after repainting it: not only will you not get a nicely painted house (or behavior-changed phone), you also will lose a lot of other stuff and make a ton of pointless work for yourself. I don't understand how people keep not getting this: hard reset wipes user registry changes!

Network profile updates should happen periodically. At worst, you might need to reboot the phone, or possibly use the cellular settings to try switching to a different network and then back, though simply switching Airplane Mode off and then on again would likely work, as would just waiting a day or so (tops; it shouldn't take that long).
    Was just checking in on things at @iknowsingh thread at the Microsoft Developer website.

They are asking for people with this problem to post logs so they can look in to it.

Head over HERE and read the last post.

Hopefully they will come up with a resolution soon.

I would not mind at all! I went into ##3282# on his phone, selected 'view' then 'others' then 'MMSC URL' . The two pictures are attached, the order of the settings begins with the picture that says 'globalroaming@WAP'. The second pic is literally a continuation as it starts right where the first picture ends (I scrolled neatly!)

I've been trying to find the correct Sprint APN settings around the web, and a lot of sites have similar settings as options but either Windows Phone doesn't have enough fields for the settings, and the fact that in the APN settings on 8.1, it doesn't let me change the authentication type.

I noted on my coworker's ATIV S Neo that in his 'cellular+SIM' section, he doesn't have options to input APN like I do... the hard reset must've kicked the CDMA stuff in our phones to the curb.