[TOOL] Google Play DPI Fix - v1.4.2 (31/12/13)

Search This thread

hamsteyr

Mar 15, 2011
mainframerodent.weebly.com
DPIFix_Logo.png

-= Google Play DPI Fix Tool =-
XDA Portal Feature

I know I should be working more on APK Batch Installer Tool, but I needed a break from it for a while (got myself stuck in some nasty code), and I decided to make an app for something that has been bothering me for a while now:

A lot of us at XDA know about build.prop modification to change our device's DPI to something else, so that we have more real estate. It is just awesome, simply put. The problem with doing that is that some apps in Play Store don't show up, and you can only get around this by manually downloading installing a modded Play Store, and even then, the settings won't stick without a modded Google Service Framework along with that.

It's a tiring and tedious process, and one that many people give up on, and that's why I made this tool. Now, What's so different about this tool than the rest? I'll shortly explain. The difference comes in the fact that it does not require you to download any modded files into your device. It takes existing Play Store and Google Service Framework APKs on your device, decompiles them, mods them, compiles them back, signs them, zipaligns them and certifies them... ALL AUTOMATICALLY!

I could go on all day, but all I'll have to say is that, if you like running a Custom DPI on your device, I highly recommend you give this a shot, and give me your feedback :)

DPIFix_Main.jpg

Tested to be working on Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean (up to 4.2.1 on my HTC Sensation)
Make sure you're using unaltered stock versions of Google Play Store and Google Service Framework to avoid problems

Why Custom DPI? Well, here's why
200vs240.jpg

More real estate, smaller fonts, more on screen at any given time.

-= Requirements =-
- A PC obviously :p
- A Rooted Device
- Micro USB cable to hook your device into your PC
- USB drivers for your device (required for ADB installing)
- USB Debug Mode enabled on your device
- Java Runtime Environment installed on your PC (x86 aka 32-bit as this is a 32-bit application)
- Busybox Installed
- Root Access set to 'Apps and ADB' in Developer Options on certain devices

-= Limitations =-
- Requires that Market be named Phonesky.apk and GSF as GoogleServiceFramework.apk
- Works best if not only with untouched/ unaltered originals of Phonesky.apk and GoogleServiceFramework.apk
- Currently does not work with Odexed files

-= Changelog=-
v1.4.2 - December 31, 2013
-New Feature: KitKat Support - Updated code to detect KitKat's priv-app
-Bug Fix: Updated zipalign.exe (Fixes some zipalign errors)

v1.4.1c - December 11, 2013
-Bug Fix: Fixed bug that caused connection problems with Play Store, and crashes for process.gapps.

v1.4.1b - November 2, 2013
-Bug Fix: Changed internal modification code to address issue of Play Store not showing some Apps

v1.4.1a - November 1, 2013
-Bug Fix: Fixed error in DPI info button (accidentally wrote 360 instead of 320)
-Bug Fix: Changed temp pull dir to /sdcard (Should fix that error that people are getting on decompile time, caused by no file actually being pulled.)

v1.4.1 - August 14, 2013
-New Feature:Added option to choose either direct device modding, or via recovery zip
-Modification: Lightened up some code
-Modification: Uses newer ADB again
-Modification: Added more GSF data cleaning that should hopefully solve some errors right after modding

v1.4c - August 4, 2013
-New Sub-Feature: Descriptive info for Market DPI
-New Sub-Feature: Added XXHDPI, fixed info for XHDPI
-Modification: Changes to exit kill server code
-Modification: Updated zipalign.exe
-Modification: Rolled back ADB to an older version for compatibility reasons(similar to APK batch installer 1.4.1, less problems, smaller filesize)
-Bug Fix: App now aborts if no java is detected (as it was intended)
-Bug Fix: Removed 'no file' prompt for data wiping (as this is not a problem)

v1.4b - May 20, 2013
-New Sub-Feature: Application now detects Vending.apk, and renames it to Phonesky.apk.
-New Sub-Feature: Added detection for Busybox not installed
-New Sub-Feature: Added detection for multiple Play Store updates (com.android.vending-2, 5, 8 etc)
-Modification: Updated aapt and adb up to 20th May 2013
-Modification: Changed Java Error Message to be more descriptive.
-Bug Fix: Bug where pressing 'OK' when Error message that Phonesky or GoogleServicesFramework couldn't be found doesn't stop the program, should be fixed now

v1.4a - April 1, 2013
-Bug Fix: Silly mistake of mine caused the program to halt :| oops. Fixed.

v1.4 - April 1, 2013
-New Sub-Feature: Restore to originals
-Modification: Makes /data/local/tmp if non existant.
-Bug Fix: Prevented some application stoppages when pulling files
-Bug Fix: Fixed Bug with wiping Play Store Data
-Bug Fix: Removed some extra unrequired commands that may have been causing FC's on some devices
-Bug Fix: 'Cancel' button not really cancelling fixed

Thanks to darkguy2008 and corkythetard for their help and support

v1.3c - March 25, 2013
-Bug Fix: Added removal of original files to prevent dummy file errors (fixes some compatibility errors)
-Bug Fix: Cancelling doesn't stop on some cases.
-Modification: Moved Adb Kill to exit of app

Many thanks to xda user dt192 for helping me with this new version, and the past version.

v1.3b - March 20, 2013
-Bug Fix: Fixed error of not finding updated files on some devices, hopefully helps to fix even more "non-compatible" problems
-Modification: Added more error handlers for missing files/ insufficient write permissions, more detailed errors

v1.3a - March 16, 2013
-Bug Fix: More reliable process killing and locating files
-Modification: Updated Apktool to 1.5.2 (Smaller Filesize)
-Modification: New method for pulling files off system (should fix some pull errors)

v1.3 - March 6, 2013
-New Sub-Feature: App now checks for Play Store/ Framework updates. These are turned into system apps. This also fixes compatibility issues with 3.10.14
-Modification: Added process killing for play store and framework
-Modification: Added bit of code to target only USB devices and not emulated ones (Thanks for scar45 for the tip and reminder)
-Modification: Changed Temp Dir to /data/local/tmp for hopefully better compatibility (some devices don't seem to have /sdcard)

v1.2b - March 6, 2013
-Modification: Moved section that mounts system as RW up before apk pulling. Should help with some devices getting apk not found pull errors

v1.2a - February 7, 2013
-Modification: More descriptive messages when pulling files from device. Installation will abort if files are not found.

v1.2 - February 5, 2013
-New Sub-Feature: New Error Handler should now give descriptive information to the problem, as well as an option to retry.
-Modification: Added permissions settings for APK, to hopefully solve more force closes.
-Modification: Changed Root Access technique to increase device compatibility

v1.1 - February 4, 2013
-Bug Fix: NEW TECHNIQUE IN BUILDING THE APKS SHOULD NOW MEAN NO MORE FORCE CLOSES! (Also it's 7:18am and I haven't slept yet)

v1.0a - February 3, 2013
-Bug Fix: Removed need for framework-res.apk and installation of framework.
-Bug Fix: Fixed possible error that caused the system to hit Force Closes

-= To Do=-
-Mod local files

Is Packed with:
7z Command line
Apktool (credits to iBotPeaches and brut.all for their excellent work on this)
SignAPK
The usual Android SDK Stuff :p

-= Note =-
-First run of Play Store after using the application gives failures or connection retries, just hit retry and it should work fine.
-Make sure you turn off anything else that might use ADB (Samsung Kies, HTC Sync, ASUS Sync, BlueStacks, etc etc)
-IF YOU RUN INTO FORCE CLOSES AFTER RUNNING MY APP, REBOOT INTO RECOVERY AND RUN 'FIX PERMISSIONS' UNDER 'ADVANCED'

I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY COME TO YOUR DEVICE FROM USING THIS TOOL (I have no idea how it would damage it, but stranger things have happened). YOU UNDERSTAND THAT BY USING IT, YOU ARE TAKING THIS RISK YOURSELF :|

YOU HATH BEEN WAARRRNNNEEEDDD D:

Latest and future versions (1.4.1b++) can be found in the Downloads Tab Above the thread :D or click HERE

XDA:DevDB Information
Google Play DPI Fix Tool, a Tool/Utility for the Android General

Contributors
hamsteyr

Version Information
Current Stable Version: v1.4.2
Stable Release Date: 2013-12-31

Created 2013-11-02
Last Updated 2013-12-31

Last edited:

zagzag99

Nov 3, 2008
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 5
Re: [TOOL] Google Play DPI Fix (Custom DPI, Modded GSF, GB, ICS, JB) - v1.0 (29/1/13)

Tried it on Xylon stocked market. It caused the market to fc right at beginning even before the accept of Google terms.
Also had to remove and re-add Google account, because it failed syncing.

In the end reflashed gapps to get market working again and sync to work fine.

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

rico13

Feb 13, 2011
Tried it on Xylon stocked market. It caused the market to fc right at beginning even before the accept of Google terms.
Also had to remove and re-add Google account, because it failed syncing.

In the end reflashed gapps to get market working again and sync to work fine.

yeah same with me
:-/

hamsteyr

Mar 15, 2011
In regards to LCD density modder pro, I find that it bricked my device when used in Jellybean.

And regarding those errors that pop up, I figured out why, I'm bringing out a newer version that should address all of that >< Sorry, I made a mistake :<

Reactions: mitrjoshi

-Grift-

Jan 9, 2011
Singapore
Galaxy S2 i9100
Cm7 2.3.7 :D

Tons of issues, im getting Error Hit, Error 1, Error Flag.

Could have found the problem, GB playstore is called Vending.apk rather then the newer Phonesky.apk

Last edited:

hamsteyr

Mar 15, 2011
It's because framework-res.apk only exists on AOSP devices if I'm not wrong, and It's not really required unless decompiling apps that are native to the ROM itself (Playstore and GSF isn't :<)

I'm removing it in the next build, but I'm glad it works for you lol :|

hamsteyr

Mar 15, 2011
New version is out with bug fixes, removed need for framework-res.apk, possibly fixed all the force closes that have been happening, installer now aborts when errors are hit.

Will work on the new version later which has better error handling and more descriptive messages.

liiight

Jan 12, 2011
I'm unsure on exactly how to use this.
I run slimbean 4.2.1 on galaxy s i9000 with a custom dpi of 182.
What do i need to choose as the play store DPI?

flechaig

Apr 11, 2010
NANTES
New version is out with bug fixes, removed need for framework-res.apk, possibly fixed all the force closes that have been happening, installer now aborts when errors are hit.

Will work on the new version later which has better error handling and more descriptive messages.

Hi
I still get Force Close on both apps with v1.0a.
SonyEricsson Xperia X10i (Android 2.3.3)
Thanks

hamsteyr

Mar 15, 2011
@liiight General rule of thumb for me is that anything with 800x480 or 960x540 is 240 DPI. only 720p screens and above use 320. In your case, 240 is fine.

@flechaig Did you revert it back to your stock before running it again? Does the tool run into any errors when running?

Reactions: flechaig

flechaig

Apr 11, 2010
NANTES
@liiight General rule of thumb for me is that anything with 800x480 or 960x540 is 240 DPI. only 720p screens and above use 320. In your case, 240 is fine.

@flechaig Did you revert it back to your stock before running it again? Does the tool run into any errors when running?

Yes (with backups I found in temp directory on my computer).
No, there were no errors, except I think it did not reboot completly, so I rebooted manually and wiped Dalivik and cache.
I'm gonna give it a second try and keep you informed. Thanks.

What I did :
- restored original Phonesky.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk to /system/app and original build.prop with 240 DPI (there's a ^M in build.prop pushed by Google Play DPI Fix Tool for the property ro.sf.lcd_density=160^M)
- rebooted in recovery and wiped cache partition and Dalvik cache
- rebooted
- launched Google Play
- added my Google account (email and password)
- saw my apps : everything is OK, 37 apps listed
- ran your tool v1.0a with default values (240 and 240), Press OK as required (I see a force close before reboot)
- entered recovery and wiped cache partition and Dalvik cache
- rebooted
- saw Force close on com.google.process.gapps 4 or 5 times
- launched Google Play
- added my Google account (email and password), WHICH FAILS (tried twice)

Thanks

Last edited:

ezinex

Jan 21, 2007
Downloaded and used.
On The first phase of installation I got the "Error Hit" screen, but continued.
When finished, I did a dalviK and cache wipe. Rebooted and tried using google play.
The first time it gave me a "Error retrieving information from server [RH-01]", i tried again and it loaded without problems.
Just in case, I used the 240 dpi cfg for both (google market and cel)

I rebooted and recheck my gmail (in case sync issues) and loaded google play (in case any other issue). Both worked ' A-Ok'.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DPIFix_Logo.png

-= Google Play DPI Fix Tool =-
    XDA Portal Feature

I know I should be working more on APK Batch Installer Tool, but I needed a break from it for a while (got myself stuck in some nasty code), and I decided to make an app for something that has been bothering me for a while now:

A lot of us at XDA know about build.prop modification to change our device's DPI to something else, so that we have more real estate. It is just awesome, simply put. The problem with doing that is that some apps in Play Store don't show up, and you can only get around this by manually downloading installing a modded Play Store, and even then, the settings won't stick without a modded Google Service Framework along with that.

It's a tiring and tedious process, and one that many people give up on, and that's why I made this tool. Now, What's so different about this tool than the rest? I'll shortly explain. The difference comes in the fact that it does not require you to download any modded files into your device. It takes existing Play Store and Google Service Framework APKs on your device, decompiles them, mods them, compiles them back, signs them, zipaligns them and certifies them... ALL AUTOMATICALLY!

I could go on all day, but all I'll have to say is that, if you like running a Custom DPI on your device, I highly recommend you give this a shot, and give me your feedback :)

DPIFix_Main.jpg

Tested to be working on Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean (up to 4.2.1 on my HTC Sensation)
    Make sure you're using unaltered stock versions of Google Play Store and Google Service Framework to avoid problems

Why Custom DPI? Well, here's why
    200vs240.jpg

More real estate, smaller fonts, more on screen at any given time.

-= Requirements =-
    - A PC obviously :p
    - A Rooted Device
    - Micro USB cable to hook your device into your PC
    - USB drivers for your device (required for ADB installing)
    - USB Debug Mode enabled on your device
    - Java Runtime Environment installed on your PC (x86 aka 32-bit as this is a 32-bit application)
    - Busybox Installed
    - Root Access set to 'Apps and ADB' in Developer Options on certain devices

-= Limitations =-
    - Requires that Market be named Phonesky.apk and GSF as GoogleServiceFramework.apk
    - Works best if not only with untouched/ unaltered originals of Phonesky.apk and GoogleServiceFramework.apk
    - Currently does not work with Odexed files

-= Changelog=-
    v1.4.2 - December 31, 2013
    -New Feature: KitKat Support - Updated code to detect KitKat's priv-app
    -Bug Fix: Updated zipalign.exe (Fixes some zipalign errors)

v1.4.1c - December 11, 2013
    -Bug Fix: Fixed bug that caused connection problems with Play Store, and crashes for process.gapps.

v1.4.1b - November 2, 2013
    -Bug Fix: Changed internal modification code to address issue of Play Store not showing some Apps

v1.4.1a - November 1, 2013
    -Bug Fix: Fixed error in DPI info button (accidentally wrote 360 instead of 320)
    -Bug Fix: Changed temp pull dir to /sdcard (Should fix that error that people are getting on decompile time, caused by no file actually being pulled.)

v1.4.1 - August 14, 2013
    -New Feature:Added option to choose either direct device modding, or via recovery zip
    -Modification: Lightened up some code
    -Modification: Uses newer ADB again
    -Modification: Added more GSF data cleaning that should hopefully solve some errors right after modding

v1.4c - August 4, 2013
    -New Sub-Feature: Descriptive info for Market DPI
    -New Sub-Feature: Added XXHDPI, fixed info for XHDPI
    -Modification: Changes to exit kill server code
    -Modification: Updated zipalign.exe
    -Modification: Rolled back ADB to an older version for compatibility reasons(similar to APK batch installer 1.4.1, less problems, smaller filesize)
    -Bug Fix: App now aborts if no java is detected (as it was intended)
    -Bug Fix: Removed 'no file' prompt for data wiping (as this is not a problem)

v1.4b - May 20, 2013
    -New Sub-Feature: Application now detects Vending.apk, and renames it to Phonesky.apk.
    -New Sub-Feature: Added detection for Busybox not installed
    -New Sub-Feature: Added detection for multiple Play Store updates (com.android.vending-2, 5, 8 etc)
    -Modification: Updated aapt and adb up to 20th May 2013
    -Modification: Changed Java Error Message to be more descriptive.
    -Bug Fix: Bug where pressing 'OK' when Error message that Phonesky or GoogleServicesFramework couldn't be found doesn't stop the program, should be fixed now

v1.4a - April 1, 2013
    -Bug Fix: Silly mistake of mine caused the program to halt :| oops. Fixed.

v1.4 - April 1, 2013
    -New Sub-Feature: Restore to originals
    -Modification: Makes /data/local/tmp if non existant.
    -Bug Fix: Prevented some application stoppages when pulling files
    -Bug Fix: Fixed Bug with wiping Play Store Data
    -Bug Fix: Removed some extra unrequired commands that may have been causing FC's on some devices
    -Bug Fix: 'Cancel' button not really cancelling fixed

Thanks to darkguy2008 and corkythetard for their help and support

v1.3c - March 25, 2013
    -Bug Fix: Added removal of original files to prevent dummy file errors (fixes some compatibility errors)
    -Bug Fix: Cancelling doesn't stop on some cases.
    -Modification: Moved Adb Kill to exit of app

Many thanks to xda user dt192 for helping me with this new version, and the past version.

v1.3b - March 20, 2013
    -Bug Fix: Fixed error of not finding updated files on some devices, hopefully helps to fix even more "non-compatible" problems
    -Modification: Added more error handlers for missing files/ insufficient write permissions, more detailed errors

v1.3a - March 16, 2013
    -Bug Fix: More reliable process killing and locating files
    -Modification: Updated Apktool to 1.5.2 (Smaller Filesize)
    -Modification: New method for pulling files off system (should fix some pull errors)

v1.3 - March 6, 2013
    -New Sub-Feature: App now checks for Play Store/ Framework updates. These are turned into system apps. This also fixes compatibility issues with 3.10.14
    -Modification: Added process killing for play store and framework
    -Modification: Added bit of code to target only USB devices and not emulated ones (Thanks for scar45 for the tip and reminder)
    -Modification: Changed Temp Dir to /data/local/tmp for hopefully better compatibility (some devices don't seem to have /sdcard)

v1.2b - March 6, 2013
    -Modification: Moved section that mounts system as RW up before apk pulling. Should help with some devices getting apk not found pull errors

v1.2a - February 7, 2013
    -Modification: More descriptive messages when pulling files from device. Installation will abort if files are not found.

v1.2 - February 5, 2013
    -New Sub-Feature: New Error Handler should now give descriptive information to the problem, as well as an option to retry.
    -Modification: Added permissions settings for APK, to hopefully solve more force closes.
    -Modification: Changed Root Access technique to increase device compatibility

v1.1 - February 4, 2013
    -Bug Fix: NEW TECHNIQUE IN BUILDING THE APKS SHOULD NOW MEAN NO MORE FORCE CLOSES! (Also it's 7:18am and I haven't slept yet)

v1.0a - February 3, 2013
    -Bug Fix: Removed need for framework-res.apk and installation of framework.
    -Bug Fix: Fixed possible error that caused the system to hit Force Closes

-= To Do=-
    -Mod local files

Is Packed with:
    7z Command line
    Apktool (credits to iBotPeaches and brut.all for their excellent work on this)
    SignAPK
    The usual Android SDK Stuff :p

-= Note =-
    -First run of Play Store after using the application gives failures or connection retries, just hit retry and it should work fine.
    -Make sure you turn off anything else that might use ADB (Samsung Kies, HTC Sync, ASUS Sync, BlueStacks, etc etc)
    -IF YOU RUN INTO FORCE CLOSES AFTER RUNNING MY APP, REBOOT INTO RECOVERY AND RUN 'FIX PERMISSIONS' UNDER 'ADVANCED'

I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY COME TO YOUR DEVICE FROM USING THIS TOOL (I have no idea how it would damage it, but stranger things have happened). YOU UNDERSTAND THAT BY USING IT, YOU ARE TAKING THIS RISK YOURSELF :|

YOU HATH BEEN WAARRRNNNEEEDDD D:

Latest and future versions (1.4.1b++) can be found in the Downloads Tab Above the thread :D or click HERE

XDA:DevDB Information
    Google Play DPI Fix Tool, a Tool/Utility for the Android General

Contributors
    hamsteyr

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v1.4.2
    Stable Release Date: 2013-12-31

Created 2013-11-02
    Last Updated 2013-12-31
    Hi guys,

Due to a good amount of requests for it, and me finally having gotten down to it, and after learning how to write dynamic sh scripts etc etc stuff like that, I've just released the newest version of the app, v1.4.1 with the ability to choose between directly modding the device, or building a recovery flashable zip. Because of the way the script works as well, its device independent, meaning that a baked zip file can be TECHNICALLY (though not extensively tested) used on any other device that needs the patching.

attachment.php

Other changes include lightening up of the code, and more data cleaning that should hopefully solve that Play Store 492 error that some have been having (me included), without having to remove and add your google account all over again.

As usual, hit me up with bug fixes and requests, and I'll get to work on it when I can. For now, its back to working on APK Batch Installer a bit more :p

P.S. Before anyone asks for the feature to mod local files, yes, that's what that that extra space I've made is for. Future purposing. It's coming.

P.P.S. @negativman there you go.
    Uploaded a fixed version, v1.4a.

Consider v1.4 the April Fool's joke. :|
    Can you give us a Linux binary?

i'm on ubuntu 12.10 x64

ty!!
    Odd. Never had any of that on my devices. Device, ROM and market version? I may have an idea as to what's causing it.