Your opinions on this phone

Search This thread

Dakota0206

Sep 17, 2011
www.okc-tech.com
I have both the Note 2 and S3 and prefer the S3 over the Note. Both phones are great, but I personally like the S3 better. The S3 is stock / rooted and the Note 2 is stock / unrooted which may have something to do w/ it. It seems there's more to do with the S3 as far as the Dev community, it's not too big and I have never had any issues with it. I've had the Note 2 for about 4 weeks now and sometimes it won't send a text message until I restart the phone.

Im not saying you dont have the texting issue you described, but it would be the very first reported case in millions sold. I may have made up that stat, but I cannot find a single thread on the issue.

Considering you are on XDA, I would assume that you know that, if it is an issue, it is very rare. You might truly like the S3 better, but when you skew the information it discredits the opinion.

Also if its 100% stock, why not get it replaced through warranty?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jake21

Apr 29, 2011
So these are my opinions on the note 2 (which will differ from other people):
a) Size; I would not mind a smaller phone - more concern about width than height.
b) Brightness - a bit dim outside but otherwise fine
c) Screen clarity - very nice; probably the only screen I've seen that *I* thought was nicer was the one-x/evo (the dna screen is nice but I think the one-x made more of an impression on me)
d) Clarity (sound) very good; better than the razr I had as well as gs3 that I've heard.
e) reception and 4g switching - very good as good as razr I think and it switches much faster
f) good battery life (I had the regular razr which plain sucked)
g) hackable (I'm using cleanrom - thanks Scott)
h) spen - mostly gimick but has some uses
i) multi-window - seemed like a good idea but I've not found usage in practice.
k) camera - miles ahead of razr but the auto-flash doesn't seem to work (it doesn't use the flash when i think it should so I'm forced to enable manually)
l) I wish the speaker phone was louder; for some reason I though the store model was louder but on my phone it doesnt' seem quite loud enough
m) At the itme of my purchase I think it was the best option on verizon (though the dna has a lot to offer as well as the razr hd - depending on user preference for features/form factor et all)
-
If I had to do it over - on verizon I would go with the note 2 but woudl seriously consider at&t or even sprint (via ting) once they get a bit better 4g coverage.
-
I would not consider the s3; I simply didn't like it when I played with it and the sound quality (via speaker) is definitely no where near as good a the note (I have not tried the s3 with iem; though the note 2 is miles ahead of the razr when using iem).
-
the dna is more interesting option for me but was reluctant due to smallish non-changeable battery and no sd slot
-
razr hd - truth be told a lot of the software I use on the phone prefers a menu key so until that issue is sorted out I'm not gonig to get a phone with on-screen keys (also my tablets have on-screen key and quite frankly I think i prefer having the buttons)
-
forward looking:
s4 - if it has good volume (not just max volume but clarity of the built in speaker) and good reception (the s3 is definitely a step below the note 2)
LG phone bit of an unknown also unknown if it will come to verizon but I think they make decent phone (though I really disliked the nexus 4 display; gotta say that one-x/evo 4g had a magnificient display)
sony z - no clue if it will come to verizon and no clue how the phone will shape up; also i believe it has a smallish battery
-

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
DNA is beautiful, but storage and battery make it a non starter for me.

The Note 2 obviously has better internals, but besides battery I haven't noticed that big a performance difference with the S3. And by that I mean the S3 was plenty powerful.

I'd base it totally on size you want. This phone is great. S3 is amazing too.

Top Liked Posts