[TUT] How to Unbrand / Debrand your HTC HD2 with PSAS Goldcard [2010-11-29]

Search This thread

Jmarley

Nov 22, 2009
Hi pcwe
A long time back I used the goldcard method to flash a unbranded WWE rom to My HD2 essentially the same process as Your post, but when I later updated the rom I had to use the original hspl . Can You expain as by Your reasoning My device should have had all branding/locks removed previously which it must not have ?

I have just flashed 3.14 but it reports incorrect ram, it would be nice to get the phone to a totally unbranded state.....any thoughts ?

pcwe

Jun 23, 2009
Hi pcwe
A long time back I used the goldcard method to flash a unbranded WWE rom to My HD2 essentially the same process as Your post, but when I later updated the rom I had to use the original hspl . Can You expain as by Your reasoning My device should have had all branding/locks removed previously which it must not have ?

I have just flashed 3.14 but it reports incorrect ram, it would be nice to get the phone to a totally unbranded state.....any thoughts ?
If I get you right, you still have HSPL on it. That does not go along well with the 3.14 Stock ROM. You can try either:
-Remove HSLP (using HSPL2 to install SPL 1.66.0000) and then install 3.14
-Use your Goldcard to install the 3.14 ROM

Jmarley

Nov 22, 2009
If I get you right, you still have HSPL on it. That does not go along well with the 3.14 Stock ROM. You can try either:
-Remove HSLP (using HSPL2 to install SPL 1.66.0000) and then install 3.14
-Use your Goldcard to install the 3.14 ROM

Yes, You but miss the point !, I used the goldcard method to install 1.4 stock rom and debrand the phone, when I upgraded to 1.66 I HAD to use hspl....so the golcard did not totally unbrand the phone, do You follow ?
This means it will surely be the same for 3.14 (with goldcard) also ??

pcwe

Jun 23, 2009
Yes, You but miss the point !, I used the goldcard method to install 1.4 stock rom and debrand the phone, when I upgraded to 1.66 I HAD to use hspl....so the golcard did not totally unbrand the phone, do You follow ?
Haven't tried that on mine, but I just got a PM from spatze. He used the goldcard yesterday and tried it back and forth. So it should work. The 3.14 LEOIMG.nbh on a Goldcard really flashes everything.
But anyway, just try it out and post your results. Then we will all know for sure.

Jmarley

Nov 22, 2009
Haven't tried that on mine, but I just got a PM from spatze. He used the goldcard yesterday and tried it back and forth. So it should work. The 3.14 LEOIMG.nbh on a Goldcard really flashes everything.
But anyway, just try it out and post your results. Then we will all know for sure.

I'm pretty sure it does not :( , for our uses Yes, but deep inside that piece of silicon there is extended encoding that has the product details /network sim lock etc etc and if that was easily accessible one of the smart people around here would have a simple sim unlock flash program

iggi007

Apr 11, 2007
Pretoria
I'm being dumb...

Gents,

Struggling here... Seems my HD2 is a locked version without any branding. This I figure as it's a WWE_3.14.405.2 but rather a 421...

So I had pcwe build me two images - sorry 'bout that my boy - and toasted my SD with the correct one. When I do the reboot I only get the gray "Installing" screen for a second before I get the rainbow...

Now I tried with my 1.66 stock ROM and the new 3.14 ROM. I also tried SPL 1.42.0000 and SPL 1.66.0000, with all the combination's of ROM's to SPL's...

Any ideas?

igavio

Aug 6, 2008
I bought my HTC HD2 from a greek eshop and it came with greek ROM. Alas, when I tried to upgrade from 1.66 ELL to 3.14 ELL, the HTC site said NO, because my device was branded for Vodafone Germany, as I found out!

So, I downloaded 3.14.482.2 ELL from XDA, but it could not install it because of the branding.

I applied the method described in this thread, and I installed the new official ROM in a snap. pcwe sent the image 15 minutes after my PM. Thank God we are in near time zones. And thank pcwe for tutorial and image file. :)

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk

I'm pretty sure it does not :( , for our uses Yes, but deep inside that piece of silicon there is extended encoding that has the product details /network sim lock etc etc and if that was easily accessible one of the smart people around here would have a simple sim unlock flash program
Well what method did you use when you upgraded your phone to the 1.66 Stock Rom?

I think people are getting a bit confused as to exactly what a GoldCard will do for them. All a GoldCard will do is bypass the carrier ID check when you attempt to flash a stock rom via the microsd card that you wrote the GoldCard to. A GoldCard wont unbrand your phone, that is only acomplished by flashing an HTC Stock Rom. If you flash a carriers Stock Rom then it will still be branded with whatever that carrier added to it. That means that you have to use that same card everytime you want to flash a stock rom and you have to use the same method to flash it (via the same microsd card). It wont sim unlock your phone and it wont let you flash any other roms apart from stock roms.

In every other respect HardSPL is ALOT better and ALOT safer as HardSPL will allow you to flash Radios, Splashscreens, Custom Roms and Stock Roms aswell as protecting your phone from being bricked.

The GoldCard method was created before HardSPL came along for the HD2 when it was the only method of changing your Stock Rom. After HardSPL it was only ever needed if someone flashed a Rom with a higher version than HardSPL covered and they needed to go back to a lower SPL.

If all you want to do is flash a 3.14 Stock Rom then the simplest method to use is to install HardSPL (any version) and then flash the 3.14 Stock Rom via activesync. This will overwrite HardSPL and give you a Stock Rom along with the included Radio and matched SPL. You then dont have to rely on waiting for someone to create a GoldCard for you. If you then want to flash a Custom Rom that needs a Stock SPL you can flash it via SSPL method.

I guess my conclusion is can people please stop asking for GoldCards JUST to flash a Stock Rom unless they either cant sync their pc and phone (rendering activesync useless), have already tried HardSPL and cant do it or they cant boot into their OS. All the requests in different threads are starting to grow out of control and turning more into a GoldCard farm rather than a recovery process.

@ pcwe, maybe you can pick parts of this post and add it to the top of your first post to clear up any uncertainties people might have about GoldCards.

Mark.

Last edited:

pcwe

Jun 23, 2009
Well what method did you use when you upgraded your phone to the 1.66 Stock Rom?

I think people are getting a bit confused as to exactly what a GoldCard will do for them. All a GoldCard will do is bypass the carrier ID check when you attempt to flash a stock rom via the microsd card that you wrote the GoldCard to. A GoldCard wont unbrand your phone, that is only acomplished by flashing an HTC Stock Rom. If you flash a carriers Stock Rom then it will still be branded with whatever that carrier added to it. That means that you have to use that same card everytime you want to flash a stock rom and you have to use the same method to flash it (via the same microsd card). It wont sim unlock your phone and it wont let you flash any other roms apart from stock roms.

In every other respect HardSPL is ALOT better and ALOT safer as HardSPL will allow you to flash Radios, Splashscreens, Custom Roms and Stock Roms aswell as protecting your phone from being bricked.

The GoldCard method was created before HardSPL came along for the HD2 when it was the only method of changing your Stock Rom. After HardSPL it was only ever needed if someone flashed a Rom with a higher version than HardSPL covered and they needed to go back to a lower SPL.

If all you want to do is flash a 3.14 Stock Rom then the simplest method to use is to install HardSPL (any version) and then flash the 3.14 Stock Rom via activesync. This will overwrite HardSPL and give you a Stock Rom along with the included Radio and matched SPL. You then dont have to rely on waiting for someone to create a GoldCard for you. If you then want to flash a Custom Rom that needs a Stock SPL you can flash it via SSPL method.

I guess my conclusion is can people please stop asking for GoldCards JUST to flash a Stock Rom unless they either cant sync their pc and phone (rendering activesync useless), have already tried HardSPL and cant do it or they cant boot into their OS. All the requests in different threads are starting to grow out of control and turning more into a GoldCard farm rather than a recovery process.

@ pcwe, maybe you can pick parts of this post and add it to the top of your first post to clear up any uncertainties people might have about GoldCards.

Mark.
Thanks a lot for this additional explanations on what exactly a Goldcard does.
Things might be different with other cooked ROMs. But as I view things from Artemis' point of view, everyone having a branded phone needs a goldcard since Artemis 40+ depends on SPL 3.03 to function properly. SPL 3.03 only comes with the Stock ROM 3.14 and so far there is no HSPL for 3.03 in sight. Unfortunately, also no operator has, so far, released its branded 3.14 Stock ROM (except for TM-US as I just learned). So everyone wanting to install Artemis Generation IV has to either:
1. Wait for a new HSPL
2. Wait for their operators branded Stock ROM 3.14 to be released
3. Use a Goldcard

I will put your explanation of what a Goldcard does on first page and also link to this post. Thanks for your support.

Last edited:

Blairware

Nov 12, 2009
Wake Forest, NC
Might be slightly off topic

Thanks a lot for this additional explanations on what exactly a Goldcard does.
Things might be different with other cooked ROMs. But as I view things from Artemis' point of view, everyone having a branded phone needs a goldcard since Artemis 40+ depends on SPL 3.03 to function properly. SPL 3.03 only comes with the Stock ROM 3.14 and so far there is not HSPL for 3.03 in sight. Unfortunately, also no operator has, so far, released its branded 3.14 Stock ROM. So everyone wanting to install Artemis Generation IV has to either:
1. Wait for a new HSPL
2. Wait for their operators branded Stock ROM 3.14 to be released
3. Use a Goldcard

I will put your explanation of what a Goldcard does on first page and also link to this post. Thanks for your support.

Actually T-Mobile has a Stock ROM that was just released, and is essentially the leaked one from last month. Can't see how this would be useful however; the ROM build is: 3.14.531.1 - BUT, since Artemis' ROM states that it is NOT for T-Mobile (1024 ROM size) I suppose the point is moot.

I would love to try the Artemis v40 ROM, and was actually close to grabbing it when I saw the restriction against TMOUS. I got caught myself last May when the T-Mobile ROM rolled out 2.13.531.1 and had SPL 2.10 - HSPL only supported 2.08 - Lots of confusion those couple of weeks too, since the original shipped ROM for TMOUS was 2.10 (with SPL 2.08) and folks had the build and SPL #'s mixed up....

I had to read quite a way into this thread to get this all straight in my head, so I wish you luck warding off all the unnecessary Gold Card image requests. All I can say is, Thank Heaven (and Cottula) for HSPL, I don't care for SD image updates!

groscalin

Jun 15, 2007
Lyon
Thanx for sending the goldcard image.
Following the tutorial, ugrading from 1.43 ROM to latest 3.14 Rom went like a charm.

Jmarley

Nov 22, 2009

Mark.

Good info Mark except for My phone a 3.14 flash did not overwrite HSPL !

I tried also an image from the SD card and it did a partial flash....failed with the phone locked in boot loader and it would not accept any of the stock roms.. from SD or USB :eek:
After a couple of hours panic I found My old sd card and gold card image which I had endless hassle with originally (the card used to become unremarkable during its setup ) I found a sd format utility and wiped it and with a hex editor put the gold card image on it along with a 3.14 IMG and fortunately the phone took it !

With the original hspl I had no issues flashing 3.14 over active sync but I thought it best to get the right SPL on there as it was miss reporting RAM etc..
Bottom line all these phone's seem to respond slightly differently to flashing, I can only think it's down to the various network branding etc.

sprongebob

Apr 10, 2009
bayern
auf meinen o2 branding geht es nicht bekomme die meldung not allow
also doch warten bis o2 die neue stock rom liefert

LpubV

Jul 17, 2007
I was stuck in bootloader SPL3.03 with a French SFR branded phone
GoldCard allowed me to go back to 1.43 stock ROM (with kackable SPL1.42)

I try to install 3.14 stock ROM ... unsuccessfully until now
maybe because I'm not in SPL1.66
I'm gonna make additional tests ...

best regards and thanks for your help (GoldCard.img)

Laurent

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tired of waiting until your service provider releases HTC updates for your branded phone?
    Here comes your step by step guide on how to unbrand or debrand your HTC HD2/Leo using a PSAS Goldcard.
    (Thanks go to svc und oliverweidel)

Introduction:
    What does a Goldcard do? Mark's post
    answers this best:
    "All a GoldCard will do is bypass the carrier ID check when you attempt to flash a stock rom via the microsd card that you wrote the GoldCard to. A GoldCard [as such] won't unbrand your phone, that is only acomplished by flashing an HTC Stock Rom [with your Goldcard]. If you flash a carrier's Stock Rom
    [with your Goldcard] then it will still be branded with whatever that carrier added to it. That means that you have to use that same card everytime you want to flash a stock rom and you have to use the same method to flash it (via the same microsd card). It wont sim unlock your phone and it wont let you flash any other roms apart from stock roms".

Note:
    If you experience problems:
    - Check first whether you have correctly followed each step carefully
    - Read the Troubleshoot Section below
    - Search the thread for a similar problem
    - Post a question (Please do not send me a PM with support requests but post them. Thank you!)

A. Prerequisites:
    A.1. Micro SD card (no SDHC [HighCapacity], it needs to be <4GB)
    A.2. The "PSAS" Software
    A.3. PC with ActiveSync or MobileDeviceCenter Connection to your HD2 (Guest is good enough)

B. Make your SD Card a Gold Card:
    B.1. Back up your system (especially your SD-Card!! for a Goldcard you have to format your SD-Card)
    B.2. Format your Micro SD card with FAT32
    B.3. Insert your formatted SD Card into your HD2
    B.4. Connect your device to your PC (ActiveSync/MobileDeviceCenter)

B.O.1. Option 1: PSAS Full Version:
    ..O.1.1. Buy your PSAS Full Version (30€). http://psas.revskills.de/?q=payment
    ..O.1.2. Following the link in the registration confirmation e-mail, download, install and activate PSAS
    ..O.1.3. Start PSAS (needs administrator rights)
    ..O.1.4. Goto "Calculators/Generators" - "Generate HTC Goldcard"
    ..O.1.5. Select Device Key “LEO”
    ..O.1.6. Click on "Get SD Card Serial from WINCE Device"
    ..O.1.7. Choose the right SD Card (note the Size under SD Card Info)
    ..O.1.8. Click on "Save Goldcard Image to WINSCE SD" (Alternatively, you can save the Goldcard image to file and write the image later - see Option 2.7)
    ..O.1.9. Now your Goldcard is ready

B.O.2. Option 2: PSAS free Version:
    ..O.2.1. Download an install the PSAS Free Version: http://revskills.de/downloads/revskills.zip
    ..O.2.2. Start PSAS (needs administrator rights)
    ..O.2.3. Goto "Hardware Forensics" - "WINCE SD Card Utils"
    ..O.2.4. Click on "Get Serial and Disk ID".
    ..O.2.5. Choose the right SD Card (note the size)
    ..O.2.6. Copy the displayed CID (i.E. 9E000000400000000000020002000000)
    ..O.2.7. Send the CID to a friend owning the full version to prepare your image
    ..O.2.8. If you don’t know one, send a PM to either "lyriquidperfection
    ", "oliverweidel", "mskip", "sirsmiles" or me ("pcwe")
    ..O.2.9. Once you have your image, click on “Write Image File”
    ..O.2.10. Select the image you received (Goldcard.img)
    ..O.2.11. Now your Goldcard is ready

Links to images for frequently used CIDs:
    GoldCard_9B000000400000000000020002000000.img
    GoldCard_9D000000400000000000020002000000.img
    GoldCard_9E000000400000000000020002000000.img

C. Flash HTC Stock ROM:
    C.1. Download your HTC 3.14 Stock ROM
    C.2. Extract your Stock ROM (RUU_Leo_S_HTC_XXX_3.14.XXX_Radio_15.42.50.11U_2.1 5 .50.14_LEO_S_Ship.exe)
    C.3. Copy RUU_signed.nbh to your Goldcard and rename it to LEOIMG.nbh (Use the “Explore” Feature of ActiveSync / MobileDeviceCenter)
    C.4. Switch Off your device (or remove the battery)
    C.5. Press VOL Down and Switch Device on to enter Bootloader
    C.6. Bootloader loads your Goldcard (grey screen) and flashes every part of your HD2 (Bootloader, Radio, OS…) Takes up to 10 mins.
    C.7. When finished, Reboot your device (remove/insert battery or press red button)
    C.8. Congratulations, now your HD2 is unbranded!!

D. Install favored ROM (Artemis!):
    D.1. Download your favored ROM
    D.2. Connect your device to your PC (ActiveSync/MobileDeviceCenter)
    D.3. Run SSPL_RUU.exe with Artemis v40 RUU_Signed_0xxx.nbh in the same folder and follow the instructions
    D.4. Hard reset (Press VolUp+VolDown and still holding both press PowerOn and follow the instructions)
    D.5. Boot to homescreen
    D.6. When on homescreen –> Softreset
    D.7. For more information, read the first page of the Artemis Forum

*** Troubleshooting ***
    In case you experience a problem check these points:

1. Is your card a no SDHC Card? -> SDHCCards (all cards 4GB or bigger) often cause problems, especially many of the no- or low-brand cards.

Then, follow these steps again:
    2.1. Format your card again, using a Windows PC instead of the HD2's card utility.
    2.2 File System must be FAT32 and allocation unit size 4096 Bytes

2.2. Make sure your card has no name (no Volume Label).
    2.3. Double check your drive ID. You need the CID of drive ID 07.
    2.3. Double check your CID.
    3.1. Download your HTC Stock ROM a second time.
    3.2. Extract
    RUU_signed.nbh from the newly downloaded Stock ROM again.
    3.3. Rename
    RUU_signed.nbh to LEOIMG.NBH.
    3.4. Copy LEOIMG.NBH to your newly formatted
    and try again.

4. It didn't help? Post a support request on this thread with a detailed description of your problem and when it occurs.

Note: Do not send me a PM with support requests but post your problem here. More persons can help you and others benefit from it as well. Thank you!

Nice job pcwe! Hope this will help many LEO owners to flash the great Artemis v.40 by Sir sternas...

So, HSPL actually wont be neccessary to flash 3.14 Stock roms (SPL 3.03...)

:D
    No, HSPL does not go well together with Stock Rom 3.14/Artemis40.
    But using Goldcard, you don't need to remove HSPL before starting. It removes everything on the device.
    Could somebody please give me an "image"?

CID is: 9E000000400000000000020002000000

Many thanks.

Good afternoon,

Please can you help me, I would like to debrand my htc hd2 from t-mobile,

I have followed your instructions using a 2gb microsd.

my SD Card Serial is

C6A9004E01A2121030303030304D531B
    DISK ID 07

SIZE 1910MB

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

I want to upgrade my hd2 from 1.66.415.4 to 3.14, could someone please send me a gold card image

CID: 9E000000400000000000020002000000

Thanks

Aha, thnx, here is the SD CARD Serial: 5EA300F479300610202044535542411E
    send me back plz!:)

I just sent you all individual PMs with a link to download your generated Goldcard image.
    HI ALL

I´m doing some tests here with my new HTC HD2 ... i´m facing the "not allowed" error on gold card method and "invalid vender ID" with the sspl ...

seams that the code i used (from PSAS site) is only for ANDROID ...

Mr. PCWE could you please gerenate the image for me ??

F2780089C06F832832313544534D5402 diskid 07

if it work ... i´ll try to explaine better my tests to support other friends...

p.s.: PCWE i´ve tried to send you P.M. but it never appear in my SENT box ...
    No problem, got your PM and sent you an image. To have sent items saved, you need to set the option.
    PSAS RevSkills crash

Hi!

First of all, thanks you for the awesome guide!

I run into trouble already when trying to extract the CID. PSAS RevSkills crash and die on me when clicking on the "Get SD Serial and ID" button. Tried two different PC's, both running Win7, one with SD adapter straight in, and the other having the phone+microSD mounted as USB memory. It also crash when no SD is mounted at all.

I found the serial to be 3A87-1E17, does that help at all? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

I have to flash the ROM the gold-card way since I have the wrong HSPA installed now and the screen is constantly unresponsive. RMA!

~~~~****~~~~

Update:

I found the CID through the android app GoldCard Helper. So easy. 00b900066567250747323041534d5402

Maybe that helps at least? :)