FORUMS

Getting Nexus One ADB/USB Mount working (Driver)

172 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By th3fallen, Senior Member on 7th January 2010, 02:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th January 2010, 09:40 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfk2

In order to get ADB working on Linux (Ubuntu 9.04) I had to edit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android-rules (I may have created this file for the G1) and add:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"
What I was seeing was the device would sort of show up when I ran adb devices, but it would list ????????? as the ID and no permissions.

~Kenny

Hmm...I have that already in my /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules (mine has .rules, not -rules...I'm assuming that's a typo in your post?) and I'm still coming up with ?????????? as the device and no permissions, all attempts to do anything with adb result in it telling me I don't have permission to do these things.
7th January 2010, 10:20 PM |#12  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervo

Hmm...I have that already in my /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules (mine has .rules, not -rules...I'm assuming that's a typo in your post?) and I'm still coming up with ?????????? as the device and no permissions, all attempts to do anything with adb result in it telling me I don't have permission to do these things.

Yah that was a typo.. The no permissions error appears to me that adb doesn't have access to the /dev/ devices used. I'm not at home so I cannot lookup what device is created and used in /dev/ for you to check the permissions. I know I killed the adb server and restarted it a few times while trying to get mine to work, along with updating to the latest sdk. So you may want to try those things, you could also try running adb as root and seeing if that fixes it (if so, then it's a simple permission error with udev not creating it with correct permissions).
8th January 2010, 12:11 AM |#13  

More
Alrighty, I think I got it. I'm no udev expert (in fact, I'm rather useless at it), but this worked for me.

1) Make sure USB debugging is turned on on the phone.

2) Plug the phone into the USB port on the machine.

3) Make sure /etc/udev/51-android.rules has

Quote:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"

in it.

4) run
Quote:

adb kill-server

5) As root, run
Quote:

service udev restart

6) run
Quote:

adb start-server

Worked for me to get the device recognized.
8th January 2010, 02:42 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hey guys, I have the Android 1.5 SDK/ADB installed on my computer.. so I don't know what will happen when I mount my N1 (haven't tried yet). I want to be able to mount my N1 normally without ADB or anything, 'cause I'm not going to root it for a while. Thanks!
8th January 2010, 02:57 AM |#15  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Confirmed on Vista
I can confirm that the instructions in the OP work on Vista. Thanks a lot, th3fallen.
8th January 2010, 02:07 PM |#16  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleviate

Hey guys, I have the Android 1.5 SDK/ADB installed on my computer.. so I don't know what will happen when I mount my N1 (haven't tried yet). I want to be able to mount my N1 normally without ADB or anything, 'cause I'm not going to root it for a while. Thanks!

Nothing will happen, ADB doesn't start interacting with your phone without you explicitly telling it to. Also, if you don't have debugging turned on on your phone, then it won't even if you do explicitly tell it to. Feel free to mount the drive on it.
8th January 2010, 02:34 PM |#17  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 1

More
ADB and Root
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't get ADB to recognize my phone. ADB is all set up correctly, I have it updated (I believe) to the most recent version. I installed the updated USB driver and I see the "Android Phone" in my device manager. I have USB Debugging checked off in my phone settings. ADB worked fine for my G1, but it doesn't recognize my Nexus One.

I shouldn't have to root the phone to have ADB working should I? Can anybody think of something I overlooked? I am running Windows XP Professional SP3
8th January 2010, 04:39 PM |#18  
Flag Dallas

More
Okay, so I navigated to the "1.1-nexusone-superboot" folder in the command prompt and tried
Code:
adb-windows devices
and my device showed up. Now I want to move those files to where I originally had my adb files in C:\android-sdk-windows\tools so that all I have to type is
Code:
adb devices
to have my phone listed. I tried replacing the files in my \tools folder and renaming them to what they were named before, but that didn't work. Could somebody please help me get this set up properly?
8th January 2010, 05:02 PM |#19  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccunningham83

Okay, so I navigated to the "1.1-nexusone-superboot" folder in the command prompt and tried

Code:
adb-windows remount
and my device showed up. Now I want to move those files to where I originally had my adb files in C:\android-sdk-windows\tools so that all I have to type is
Code:
adb devices
to have my phone listed. I tried replacing the files in my \tools folder and renaming them to what they were named before, but that didn't work. Could somebody please help me get this set up properly?

in your command prompt you have to be in the c:\android-sdk-windows\tools\ directory for it to work
8th January 2010, 05:21 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccunningham83

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't get ADB to recognize my phone. ADB is all set up correctly, I have it updated (I believe) to the most recent version. I installed the updated USB driver and I see the "Android Phone" in my device manager. I have USB Debugging checked off in my phone settings. ADB worked fine for my G1, but it doesn't recognize my Nexus One.

I shouldn't have to root the phone to have ADB working should I? Can anybody think of something I overlooked? I am running Windows XP Professional SP3

I was having the same problem yesterday. But i'm on Vista. Nothing seemed to work, but ADB was working fine on my Mytouch. At any rate, I ended up going to download the most recent SDK and trying adb again from a command prompt @ the tools location of the newest SDK, and then everything worked. I don't know if that was something I should have done in the first place and I just didn't know it (duh), but that's what worked for me.
8th January 2010, 06:32 PM |#21  
Flag Dallas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ryan11

in your command prompt you have to be in the c:\android-sdk-windows\tools\ directory for it to work

Can't you go into the Enviroment Variables and change the class path so you don't have to be in the folder? I think I can figure it out how to change it so I don't have to be in the \tools folder, but I would also like to eliminate having to type "adb-windows" before every command, when I could just type "adb".
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)