Nexus 7 (2013) install in dash of Lexus GS400

Search This thread

CayenneGTS

Nov 5, 2012
Oakville
Nexus 7 (2013) tablet install in the dash

I've pondered this install for over 2 years and finally decided to go ahead with the install.

I had originally upgraded the sound system in car by pulling out the stock Nakamichi Head Unit (a couple of years ago) and replaced all the wiring, speakers etc with decent components - Mid and tweeter (separates)- Focal speakers in the front door and a 13 inch Focal sub in the trunk. I focused this upgrade for an SQ setup and did not install any speakers in the rear on purpose. For amps, I used two Zapco's (one for the fronts and one for the subwoofer)

I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D1 navigation/Head Unit and also installed tons of sound deadening all over the doors, trunk etc.

Fast forward to today and here is my new setup - since I had upgraded the wiring and speakers already, I focused this build on the Tablet install and a new HU that connected to my upgraded wiring. I then connected the tablet via the USB DAC (the Microstreamer unit) to the Head Unit aux input for audio out to the car speakers/amps. This simplified my install as I only needed to focus on the tablet install and the new Head Unit Install. Needless to say I ripped out the Pioneer unit for this install.

I flashed Timur's kernel ( https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/ ) for a fixed install as its perfect for these types of installs - the tablet goes into a deep sleep mode when accessory power is shut off and it loses very little charge overnight (roughly about 1 - 2 % per 10 hours). As soon as you turn on the car, the tablet senses power has been applied and the screen comes on immediately. So even though my install allows me to remove the tablet from the car, I don't really have to remove it. It comes on immediately when the car is turned on and goes off (deep sleep) when the car is turned off. You don't need to setup any complicated (for me anyway) tasker routines to take care of this. I then connect my tablet to my Note 3's hot spot for Internet access.

I had the install done professionally - the custom fabrication of the tablet and Head Unit mount. That was really the main part of this install by Ultra Auto Sound in Mississauga, Ontario ( http://ultraautosound.com/tag/nexus/ ) . They did an excellent job as you can see from the pics on their website and below. Thanks Joe!

I haven't been able to get the backup camera to work yet with the tablet as my understanding of how it works with the tablet was not thorough enough and I need to do some more reading to figure it out properly.

Here are the parts I bought:

1. Nexus 7 (2013) tablet ofcourse
  2. Head Unit - Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X998 CD Receiver with built in BT and HD radio - its one of the better Head Units on the market right now ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8S6B86?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 )
  3. USB Hub - DLink 7 port USB hub ( http://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-DUB-H7B...d=1439314404&sr=8-1&keywords=DLink+7+port+USB )
  4. USB DAC - HRT microStreamer ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4YE5BG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 )
  5. Backup Camera - TaoTronics TT-CC17 Waterproof Color CMOS Car Licence plate backup camera ( http://www.amazon.ca/TaoTronics-TT-CC17-Waterproof-License-Distance/dp/B0092YMZJY )
  6. USB Video capture card - VGB100 USB 2.0 Video Capture Device card ( http://www.amazon.com/August-VGB100...ords=VGB100+USB+2.0+Video+Capture+Device+card )
  7. Bluetooth remote for audio controls - Satechi® Bluetooth Button ( http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00RM75NL0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 )
  8. USB Flash drive - SanDisk Extreme 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive ( http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KT7DOSE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 )
  9. Micro USB OTG cable and charger - (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S67XK7Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00)
  10. USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female extension cables for charging my Note 3 and my wifes Note 2 while in the car ( http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NH11R3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 )
  11. OBD2 BT dongle. This allows me to display a bunch of information on the Dash Command app (shown in a couple of pics below with the LFA "skin"). You can also read any error codes without paying an arm and a leg to the dealer.

Here is the before pic:

JZg2Psb.jpg

And the current pics:
USB Hub with the USB Digital Audio Controller (HT Microstreamer), USB Flash Drive and Video Grabber for the backup camera
jYr2ptF.jpg

DashCommand for car diagnostics and other info via OBD2 BT dongle. This is the LFA "skin'
1luRYwb.jpg

YjQ3Ikk.jpg

Waze maps and close up of the Kenwood KDC-X998 Head unit
TyzJdGL.jpg

Close up of the tablet mount
fDVrLrw.jpg

Close up of the Satechi BT audio controller
mMZjIXz.jpg

Some more pics
4XAGwmX.jpg

nALNumW.jpg

GfMuWwA.jpg

kVkqrKR.jpg

B3t8fwn.jpg

Some random pics of the car:

SwPh1t9.jpg

HaggO4r.jpg

va7RjB5.jpg

9NfMaQU.jpg

Last edited:

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
The install looks great. Good job. I've got a 2011 GMC Sierra that I've installed my Nexus 7 (2013) in the dash. Turns out that the double din after market head unit adapter plates opening is just a hair bigger than the actual LCD. ( not the whole tablet but just the LCD). So I was able to use it with the Nexus mounted to the back of the adapter plate so that it fits tight against it covering the edges of the tablet and only leaving the LCD exposed. I'll take some pics and upload them soon. Good job on yours. Love seeing how others went about their install.

lilutosh

Aug 13, 2015
nice built but may I ask, is it really needed to add an usb dac to the instalation process if I am runing audio from the tablet with 3.5mm audio jack cable to the car's player aux ?

CayenneGTS

Nov 5, 2012
Oakville
The install looks great. Good job. I've got a 2011 GMC Sierra that I've installed my Nexus 7 (2013) in the dash. Turns out that the double din after market head unit adapter plates opening is just a hair bigger than the actual LCD. ( not the whole tablet but just the LCD). So I was able to use it with the Nexus mounted to the back of the adapter plate so that it fits tight against it covering the edges of the tablet and only leaving the LCD exposed. I'll take some pics and upload them soon. Good job on yours. Love seeing how others went about their install.
Thanks. I love the setup as is and the audio shop that installed it recommended mine be setup (the mount) like this because of my requirement of wanting to be able to unplug it or get to the buttons for whatever reason. I personally prefer the look that you went for where the tablet is behind a plate as that looks more OEM than mine.

Mine looks so obviously like a tablet on the dash even though the quality of the audio shop's custom mount is good, it still doesn't look like an OEM screen (when its behind a plate).

My installer said it would be more expensive to mount it behind a custom opening and also make it removable at the same time, hence the end result you see here.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your setup!

nice built but may I ask, is it really needed to add an usb dac to the instalation process if I am runing audio from the tablet with 3.5mm audio jack cable to the car's player aux ?
No you don't have to do what I did especially if you are not pulling out your stock stereo.

ramitix

Feb 27, 2016
how did you make the august vgb100 work with the nexus , I bought it and the tablet couldn't recognize it.

trycatch

Aug 15, 2007
Hi, could you share related .dxls file. I searched for LFA skin, bu it dosent look exactly like yours ?
Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, I found lots of LFA skins, its ok!

Last edited:

eregev

Dec 17, 2008
What app are you using as the "dash" app for nav and such. Looks very android auto'y

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

CayenneGTS

Nov 5, 2012
Oakville
how is the install holding up... Im getting ready to do a similar set up with a 99 gs300
Its holding up fine.

I could never get the backup camera working and that bugs me.

I'm having second thoughts about the whole system now and want to get an Android Auto HU such as this one - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Xvsy2Zazrje/p_1304200NEX/Pioneer-AVH-4200NEX.html

What is your budget and requirement for the install of a tablet in your car? The obvious ones in terms of requirements are Phone calling/receiving, Navigation and listening to your music collection. Any others you have?

If your budget can swing for the unit above - it has very good reviews, I would just do that instead.

warnel33008

Apr 16, 2016
Its holding up fine.

I could never get the backup camera working and that bugs me.

I'm having second thoughts about the whole system now and want to get an Android Auto HU such as this one - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Xvsy2Zazrje/p_1304200NEX/Pioneer-AVH-4200NEX.html

What is your budget and requirement for the install of a tablet in your car? The obvious ones in terms of requirements are Phone calling/receiving, Navigation and listening to your music collection. Any others you have?

If your budget can swing for the unit above - it has very good reviews, I would just do that instead.
my main reason for the tablet diy is to play my music folders... I make them every other week... with new content... then of course navigation (google)... web browser right in the car if im parked in a parking lot waiting for her to come back....and the other obvious extras n perks.... I think this is more for me than the pioneer... I was looking into that first.... and decided i wanted more hands on experience with a tablet and able to customize as well.... did you use a custom dash kit bezel... how about the wire harness what did you use.... Im thinking of just doing a simple aux wire from the top of the nexus to the aux input in an aftermarket radio

CayenneGTS

Nov 5, 2012
Oakville
my main reason for the tablet diy is to play my music folders... I make them every other week... with new content...
Check. Android Auto lets you play the music from your phone.
then of course navigation (google)...
Check. Android Auto does that from your phone
web browser right in the car if im parked in a parking lot waiting for her to come back
When you're parked, just do this from the phone. You don't need a tablet for this.
....and the other obvious extras n perks....
What obvious extras and perks are you referring to specifically?
I think this is more for me than the pioneer... I was looking into that first.... and decided i wanted more hands on experience with a tablet and able to customize as well....
Hand ons experience using a tablet? I don't follow what you mean by this statement. I had the same expectations when I didn't have the tablet in the car. Android Auto looked so limiting. However I've had a change of heart after using a tablet in the car for about a year now and then trying out Android Auto for a week in a rental while I was on vacation two weeks ago. Hands down, the tablet route in the dash is not worth it. Its so much simpler and cleaner (both in looks and functions of the Android Auto unit) to install the Pioneer Android Auto unit I linked above. I'm going to go that route next summer.

I got used to the Backup Camera on the Android Auto HU and and I can't replicate that on the Tablet in the dash. You don't have to worry about the tablet being charged all the time so that you can actually use it in the car without having to take it out and charge it if you haven't driven your vehicle for a few days (perhaps this does not apply to you if your GS is a DD. Mine isn't and the battery drain on the tablet is a major PITA).
did you use a custom dash kit bezel... how about the wire harness what did you use.... Im thinking of just doing a simple aux wire from the top of the nexus to the aux input in an aftermarket radio
Yes, the audio shop custom fabricated the bezel kit and the wiring harness goes in the Kenwood HU that I already specified in my first post on this thread. I then connect the tablet via the OTG cable to a Digital Audio Converter to get better sound and then connect that to the HU AUX port - you can also see that in the pics I posted.

warnel33008

Apr 16, 2016
Check. Android Auto lets you play the music from your phone.
Check. Android Auto does that from your phone
When you're parked, just do this from the phone. You don't need a tablet for this.
What obvious extras and perks are you referring to specifically?
Hand ons experience using a tablet? I don't follow what you mean by this statement. I had the same expectations when I didn't have the tablet in the car. Android Auto looked so limiting. However I've had a change of heart after using a tablet in the car for about a year now and then trying out Android Auto for a week in a rental while I was on vacation two weeks ago. Hands down, the tablet route in the dash is not worth it. Its so much simpler and cleaner (both in looks and functions of the Android Auto unit) to install the Pioneer Android Auto unit I linked above. I'm going to go that route next summer.

I got used to the Backup Camera on the Android Auto HU and and I can't replicate that on the Tablet in the dash. You don't have to worry about the tablet being charged all the time so that you can actually use it in the car without having to take it out and charge it if you haven't driven your vehicle for a few days (perhaps this does not apply to you if your GS is a DD. Mine isn't and the battery drain on the tablet is a major PITA).

Yes, the audio shop custom fabricated the bezel kit and the wiring harness goes in the Kenwood HU that I already specified in my first post on this thread. I then connect the tablet via the OTG cable to a Digital Audio Converter to get better sound and then connect that to the HU AUX port - you can also see that in the pics I posted.
yea i checked it out.... and its great... I would just go with the nexus for now and see how my budget changes next year... for now I'm trying to stay under 200... do I have to get a dac/ microstreamer or can i just plug it from the 3.5mm headphone jack straight into my aftermarket radio aux input... what do you think?

deathjoker

Apr 17, 2013
So, did you switch, or are you now happy that you can run android auto straight from your tablet?

I am trying to find if Android Auto has any problems running from an Android headunit such as the Joying units. Otherwise, I would love to see if a nexus 9 could work in my Ram.

RunNgun42

Jul 14, 2010
Having used tablets, android auto (pioneer and kenwood HU), and joying HU I think I can offer a lot of insight here.

For starters the tablet is still hands down the best carPC you can get. It simply does everything you want it to do without any sacrifices, and tends to look the most clean as well. The reflexive matte screens on android auto HU's are just dull and boring overall, but beyond that their performance is abysmal and android has been completely crippled on these devices in the name of safety. You cant reliably browse for music, the UI/search/scroll functions in the supported music apps block you from doing too much to keep your eyes on the road, and they all require you to plug your phone in which is just a PITA every time you get in your car.

I dont know about you but I dont like having a phone in my cup holder, glovebox, center console, or on some chintzy grip mounted to the dash. It's just ugly, the wires are ugly, and having an additional screen + wires dangling about just breaks the symmetry of a nice clean A/V setup. Using a tablet with hotspot is so much more elegant. The Nexus 7 will charge faster than it drains on any car accessory charging port (cigarette charger) so it should be nearly 100% all the time while you drive. If this car isnt your daily driver then why are you putting a tablet install in it? lol. Ultimately the Android Auto head units are manufactured by companies that just have no experience in this area and are prone to bugs and other anomalies. The entire experience just felt gimped.

As for Joying HU, while the concept is admirable the execution is flawed. Their biggest issue is just poor hardware. You just cannot squeeze an entire Android equipped OS with proper hardware and all the other stuff required to make a functional HU for the prices they are asking. If a tablet alone costs as much as their entire HU then imagine what kind of processor theyre sticking inside these things. While it worked overall, the dang thing has to BOOT UP every time you start your car. This might be tolerable on cold winter mornings where you might sit in your driveway for 5 minutes anyway, but for most other occasions it's just annoying not being able to get your music/waze configured until you've drive a couple of miles, or to just sit there aimlessly tapping your fingers waiting for it to start.

Also due to such poor hardware in the Joying units multi-tasking becomes a chore. CPU/GPU intensive apps like waze are laggy, multi-tasking between your music app is frustrating, and you forget doing things like split screen viewing. The only advantage these have is the ability to integrate with a backup camera, of which I have no need for since I know how to reverse my car without running over a fire hydrant.

A pioneer/kenwood HU might have superior audio internals, but you have to remember the source audio is usually coming from a streaming app which is going to be 128kbps or less anyway so youll never properly exploit all that great audio technology anyway. A simple 3.5mm to aux-in adapter works beautifully and produces good sound on any HU. I never bothered with DAC's or other ways to convert audio, just get a solid single-DIN HU and the aux-in will be fine for all but the purist audiophiles. Even among those types there is still no desire to use Android Auto since it feels like you're using a 1st gen smart phone from 2000.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 7 (2013) tablet install in the dash

I've pondered this install for over 2 years and finally decided to go ahead with the install.

I had originally upgraded the sound system in car by pulling out the stock Nakamichi Head Unit (a couple of years ago) and replaced all the wiring, speakers etc with decent components - Mid and tweeter (separates)- Focal speakers in the front door and a 13 inch Focal sub in the trunk. I focused this upgrade for an SQ setup and did not install any speakers in the rear on purpose. For amps, I used two Zapco's (one for the fronts and one for the subwoofer)

I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D1 navigation/Head Unit and also installed tons of sound deadening all over the doors, trunk etc.

Fast forward to today and here is my new setup - since I had upgraded the wiring and speakers already, I focused this build on the Tablet install and a new HU that connected to my upgraded wiring. I then connected the tablet via the USB DAC (the Microstreamer unit) to the Head Unit aux input for audio out to the car speakers/amps. This simplified my install as I only needed to focus on the tablet install and the new Head Unit Install. Needless to say I ripped out the Pioneer unit for this install.

I flashed Timur's kernel ( https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/ ) for a fixed install as its perfect for these types of installs - the tablet goes into a deep sleep mode when accessory power is shut off and it loses very little charge overnight (roughly about 1 - 2 % per 10 hours). As soon as you turn on the car, the tablet senses power has been applied and the screen comes on immediately. So even though my install allows me to remove the tablet from the car, I don't really have to remove it. It comes on immediately when the car is turned on and goes off (deep sleep) when the car is turned off. You don't need to setup any complicated (for me anyway) tasker routines to take care of this. I then connect my tablet to my Note 3's hot spot for Internet access.

I had the install done professionally - the custom fabrication of the tablet and Head Unit mount. That was really the main part of this install by Ultra Auto Sound in Mississauga, Ontario ( http://ultraautosound.com/tag/nexus/ ) . They did an excellent job as you can see from the pics on their website and below. Thanks Joe!

I haven't been able to get the backup camera to work yet with the tablet as my understanding of how it works with the tablet was not thorough enough and I need to do some more reading to figure it out properly.

Here are the parts I bought:

1. Nexus 7 (2013) tablet ofcourse
    2. Head Unit - Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X998 CD Receiver with built in BT and HD radio - its one of the better Head Units on the market right now ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8S6B86?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 )
    3. USB Hub - DLink 7 port USB hub ( http://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-DUB-H7B...d=1439314404&sr=8-1&keywords=DLink+7+port+USB )
    4. USB DAC - HRT microStreamer ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4YE5BG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 )
    5. Backup Camera - TaoTronics TT-CC17 Waterproof Color CMOS Car Licence plate backup camera ( http://www.amazon.ca/TaoTronics-TT-CC17-Waterproof-License-Distance/dp/B0092YMZJY )
    6. USB Video capture card - VGB100 USB 2.0 Video Capture Device card ( http://www.amazon.com/August-VGB100...ords=VGB100+USB+2.0+Video+Capture+Device+card )
    7. Bluetooth remote for audio controls - Satechi® Bluetooth Button ( http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00RM75NL0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 )
    8. USB Flash drive - SanDisk Extreme 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive ( http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KT7DOSE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 )
    9. Micro USB OTG cable and charger - (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S67XK7Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00)
    10. USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female extension cables for charging my Note 3 and my wifes Note 2 while in the car ( http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NH11R3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 )
    11. OBD2 BT dongle. This allows me to display a bunch of information on the Dash Command app (shown in a couple of pics below with the LFA "skin"). You can also read any error codes without paying an arm and a leg to the dealer.

Here is the before pic:

JZg2Psb.jpg

And the current pics:
    USB Hub with the USB Digital Audio Controller (HT Microstreamer), USB Flash Drive and Video Grabber for the backup camera
    jYr2ptF.jpg

DashCommand for car diagnostics and other info via OBD2 BT dongle. This is the LFA "skin'
    1luRYwb.jpg

YjQ3Ikk.jpg

Waze maps and close up of the Kenwood KDC-X998 Head unit
    TyzJdGL.jpg

Close up of the tablet mount
    fDVrLrw.jpg

Close up of the Satechi BT audio controller
    mMZjIXz.jpg

Some more pics
    4XAGwmX.jpg

nALNumW.jpg

GfMuWwA.jpg