[Q] Micro Arc Oxidation failure?

Search This thread

viper_79

Apr 8, 2010
SH23V chipped on the top right corner - visible when the phone was still in the box.

hoschip.jpg

Great macro shot you got there mate... I really love the S (the black version only), but I am a bit too clumsy with phones and drop them very often so there is no way getting the black.

Now waiting to see what Samsung has to offer on the 3rd of May, it's either going to be the GS3 if it doesn't have a plastic body or the grey HTC One S, even though I don't like it :( !!

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
Had a reply from HTC again stating that the people coming forward with this issue are a minority of owners only. But they are committed to replace our phones with newer ones even though they are not sure of the handsets having a manufacturing problem. As far as they are aware, they won't be changing anything to their manufacturing process at the moment.

sent using HTC1S

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
Had a reply from HTC again stating that the people coming forward with this issue are a minority of owners only. But they are committed to replace our phones with newer ones even though they are not sure of the handsets having a manufacturing problem. As far as they are aware, they won't be changing anything to their manufacturing process at the moment.

sent using HTC1S

I bet it happens to most people and if they are not aware there is an issue they will presume they have done it themselves.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008

sent using HTC1S

that's their standard reply,you are not gonna get anything else from them. they will never tell you if its majority....or in fact all devices are effected.
if its an easy fix, it will obviously get fixed by HTC. if its not so easy, they will simply decide if its cheaper to screw the customers or actually fix the glitch

edit: I wouldnt settle for anything that chips or scratches easy. this phone shouldnt really need the case to begin with. that was the whole point of this coating

Last edited:

h.han

Feb 28, 2011
London
that's their standard reply,you are not gonna get anything else from them. they will never tell you if its majority....on in fact all devices are effected.
if its an easy fix, it will obviously get fixed by HTC. if its not so easy, they will simply decide if its cheaper to screw the customers or actually fix the glitch

edit: I wouldnt settle for anything that chips or scratches easy. this phone shouldnt really need the case to begin with. that was the whole point of this coating

Totally agree with you on this point, HTC customer service wouldn't admit it is a massive issue only will give you standard/not fully satisfied answer. Because this is regarding the brand of HTC they are very cautious.

This is not to say HTC is a bad company does not care their customers, simply just a sensitive topic customer service cannot comment too much.

Wanted to say this for a while don't want to hurt anyone's feeling. But, personally I don't think purely trying your luck by sending the device back or waiting for a company to fix this not so easy issue is something wise to do.

Very likely there is something not quite right inside the design of the mao treatment, you may get a better build one in the near future but no one can guarantee that after 3 months of having the better one, the mao problem won't appear again. Or simply it may not even as scratch residence as the grey version in the long term.

Yes, I don't know anything about the mao technology but what I do know is no one can be sure about it on our phone either. Only this uncertainty will put me away from the black version.

Just IMHO, if were like all the people waiting, replacing, surprising, replacing again, I would simply get a grey version and start enjoy the phone.

Sent from my HTC One S using XDA

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
To a certain extent I can sympathise with htc. Looks like they screwed up in their marketing words when they said no case required for this phone. I bet if hey are taken to court they would loose as he videos of their claims are obvious and cannot be refuted in court. Ceramic surfacing Wallace it scratch resistant and that is what they should have claimed. Not extra durable

sent using HTC1S

IMG_0936_(1).jpg

Here is how my phone looked 2 days ago. I dropped it from knee height. I had no problems at all for like more than a week but after since I dropped it I have gotten a few more chips

Woooowwwwww...... Reading through this thread I have questioned my plans on getting this phone, but ultimately decided I would deal with it.. maybe purposefully wet-sand the edge all around the phone for a racing stripe :p

but after seeing this picture? That is bad.. I'd be really pissed. I may just fix my Desire and use that a while longer...

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
I would say a nice gel case and its sorted. Havey new one for a week now and not a mark anywhere

sent using HTC1S

wilcoholic

Jul 26, 2010
Woooowwwwww...... Reading through this thread I have questioned my plans on getting this phone, but ultimately decided I would deal with it.. maybe purposefully wet-sand the edge all around the phone for a racing stripe :p

but after seeing this picture? That is bad.. I'd be really pissed. I may just fix my Desire and use that a while longer...

Well I wasn't bothered by it before but now that I look at it I am kind of upset. But what can I do? Its already rooted and I bought it in another country

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
Thick black matte car paint with a thin paintbrush...?

And if I ask once the phone is rooted you cannot go back to stock, would that be foolish? :eek:

sent using HTC1S

Scupra

Jan 20, 2011
Mesa, AZ
I read through about 11 pages and just decided to post, apologies if this has been stated..

I was in an HTC training and the HTC reps were saying that T-mo us is only getting the grey/blue to start because they noticed a problem with the coating on the black version. He then said that t-mobile us will be getting black/red REVISED version in June.

This was just three of the reps at a corporate t-mobile training for the HTC one s.

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
How can we verify this? Surely HTC would have to make some official report...

I'm also considering replacing the new one for the WiFi issue now...

sent using HTC1S

xufuchang

Jul 9, 2007
Beijing
I read through about 11 pages and just decided to post, apologies if this has been stated..

I was in an HTC training and the HTC reps were saying that T-mo us is only getting the grey/blue to start because they noticed a problem with the coating on the black version. He then said that t-mobile us will be getting black/red REVISED version in June.

This was just three of the reps at a corporate t-mobile training for the HTC one s.

nice info mate. I will wait till june then rather take defect one.

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
Well I wasn't bothered by it before but now that I look at it I am kind of upset. But what can I do? Its already rooted and I bought it in another country

So? Rooting it doesn't cause it to chip. Send it back for a replacement under warranty.

I wouldn't even call the phone scratch resistant! The plastic sim cover is more durable than the bloody unibody! Its seriously the MOST fragile phone i've ever owned! My replacement is a little older than my first and is worse than the first. I'm gonna hold on to it until June and hope there is an improved version.

<<<EDIT >>>

Here's an update on mine:

IMG_31911.jpg

Last edited:

Komadyret

Aug 7, 2010
One and a half week, and today I got my first two spots. On the upper left edge. Guess I'll take it to the retailer before the weekend and notify them. They already registered my complaint regarding the USB port.
We'll see how it works out....

Serial: HT23P

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anybody has got the problem with the ceramic surface which is shown in the following pictures??

Looks like a major problem with the production technology :-(
    You have to be really dumb to release phones like this. This is not the first time HTC has done this. QA obviously sucks at HTC

As a potential HTC One S owner I'll just inject a few words into this thread.

Most of the people complaining and spouting their opinions on QA have no frigging clue about metallurgy or SCM.

I have consulted for companies that design & sell 100k-1M units. There are so many steps in the process until that phone gets to your hands (at a very low price, considering the complexity!), that the mind would boggle - and sometimes it's amazing that anything works at all, ever.

As for the coating process, I doubt that HTC mills the metal or has plasma baths in their offices. All this stuff is outsourced. And in China its hard to ensure that you get what you pay for (or specify) - Ive seen this happen with PCB laminates, components where the BOM says one thing, and a middleman will just ignore it and pocket the difference.

Maybe the base metal was a 3003 alloy instead of a 6100, maybe it was not degreased well enough, maybe some employees handled the edges, perhaps the plasma bath was too cold, or things not given enough time to warm up due to the units/hour presure from the line manager. Moreover, unless you destructively test the devices it's very hard to spot such failures unless you decided that's what you're going to look for.

Of course I would be disappointed when my One S has a chipping issue, but it seems like HTC is being responsible and has quickly acknowledged the issue, without telling the customers "you're holding it wrong"

FWIW I own a HTC Desire, a Nokia N79, SE K750 and lots of old Nokias.
    surface flaw, no scratch

Have been at a surveyor. He told me this are doubtless no scratches. And indeed I did not drop my phone. On the pictures they took you can clearly see that there are no scratches aroud the affected area, which should be there if I dropped the phone.. What I think is the my reseller will tell me I am stupid if I show those very little flaws to him :eek:
    Let's hope for HTC
    6tjn9j.jpg
    2bb891.jpg
    Thread Cleaned

I have cleaned some posts from the last few pages. Some of the comments are not acceptable. Further trolling will result in a infraction/ban. Do not engage trolls, just report them and let the moderation team sort the problem. In short, dont feed the trolls!​
    ^^Good post psch0t1c^^

I'm not sure about sending it back to HTC in case they do try and say I have damaged it which I KNOW I haven't. I'm inclined to wait a few more days and see if the problem becomes more widespread and HTC become more aware of the problem.

I think we should ether do a new thread or add a poll to the OP so we can gauge how many people are affected thus far.