[Q] Problem with Fix Permissions (line 64: UID readonly variable) [WORK AROUND FOUND]

Search This thread

jangst123

Dec 18, 2010
Bucks County, PA
www.allformailers.com
Latest!! Switch to TWRP 2.1.8 (June 18th 2012)

Anyone else having a problem Fixing Permisshions? And how did you fix it?

I noticed it would take 2 seconds to run, so I decided to go to "Show log"

Here is the log

I:Checking for extendedcommand, file not found...
/sbin/fix_permissions: line 64: UID readonly variable
Done!
ro.carrier=unknown
ro.bootloader=unknown
ro.hardware=qcom
ro.revision=0
init.svc.recovery=running
init.svc.adbd=running

Tried:
Running from Rom Manager but it always stalls, never the same place and if I run it multiple times back to back it stalls sooner and sooner
touch recovery
re-installing recovery
clearing download in rom manager and re-installing recovery
setting rom manager to delete recovery before installing
Wipe / reset, wipe cache & dalvik, with superwipe 2 times and re-installing

ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.7

Running [ROM] [cwm]-BLACKEDITION FOR THE SGS2 4-10-2012-ICS RC6

A work around has been found! Thanks to RealPariah, so thank him here!
It is not a fix due to the fact that you still will not be able to fix permissions in CWM or Rom Manager but does get the job done of Fixing Permissions!!

1st Do you have the Google android installed?
If not download and install it! http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0.htm
you might need to install the JDK, if you don't have it already.

2nd Your path to adb must not be set or is not correct.
See http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1161776

Now you should be ready to use adb!

STOP!
Fixed in this New CWM Recovery or
GOTO THE DEVELOPMENT THREAD!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1604581

Most recent Fix Script / Work Around found here
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25023284&postcount=22

Boot in to Recovery
plug USB in to phone and computer
In Recovery Go in to "mounts and storage" and mount /system and /data
On computer open a command line window (windows) [click start] then [run] then type "cmd" to get a command prompt or terminal (Linux or OSX)

Run "ADB devices" and be sure it is not all ? For device number (if it is restart recovery and reseat USB connection and run "adb kill-server" on computer) I had to run terminal as root (admin for best results bit got it to work either way really)

Now type "adb shell" enter

Once that opens and you get ~#
now type cd /sbin
then type
sh fix_permissions -l -r

done correctly, your command prompt should look like the following

C:\Documents and Settings\family>adb shell
~ # cd /sbin
cd /sbin
/sbin # sh fix_permissions -l -r
sh fix_permissions -l -r
fix_permissions 2.04 started at 04-18-2012 02:28:21
Processing (1 of 177): com.google.android.location...
Processing (2 of 177): com.sec.android.app.phoneutil...
Processing (3 of 177): com.android.defcontainer...
Processing (4 of 177): com.sec.phone...
Processing (5 of 177): com.android.contacts...
Processing (6 of 177): com.android.phone...

ORIGIONAL

Fix permissions fix found!
Alright after testing fix permissions I found a way to make it run!

Issue: fix permissions won't run from recovery (correctly (it says done in less than 60 secs and stops instantly for me saying completed and while in Android; ROM manager script runs but freezes at random points (same if you open terminal emulator and run it).

Resolution:
You have to have adb on a computer for this
Do you have the Google android installed?
If not download and install it!
[/url]http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0.html

Boot in to Recovery
Go in to mounts and storage and mount /system and /data
On computer open a command line window (windows) or terminal (Linux or OSX)

Run "ADB devices" and be sure it is not all ? For device number (if it is restart recovery and reseat USB connection and run "adb kill-server" on computer) I had to run terminal as root (admin for best results bit got it to work either way really)

Now run "adb shell" after mounting /system and /data

Once that opens and you get ~# run "sh fix_permissions -l -r" just like that (with two separate - don't do -lr or it won't run)

Of it says not found mount /system

If it says something about read only variable you forgot the preceding sh (may need to do "cd /sbin" then "sh fix_permissions" if you still have an issue.

This is only way I can get fix permissions to run (even tried sh fix_permissions -l -r in Android terminal emulator and script manager to no avail)

After fix permissions ran correctly it really helped iron some small performance issues and notably helped.

I hoped that helps! :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

markusf21

Aug 25, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I have the same issue on multiple roms. Both gingerbread and ics. If you find the solution please share. I will do like wise if i find the answer.

Sent from my brain

G1ForFun

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 1, 2010
Seems this one has people stumped.
Mine actually works on juggernaut every time.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium

Yep! Was going to say this. Fix permissions doesn't work on most roms in this section.
Jug and Macnut (based off of jug) are the only two I have had it work on.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

mimicvii

Feb 25, 2011
Nashville
Also having the same problem with Fix Permissions instantly finishing, but with the "/sbin/fix_permissions: line 64: UID readonly variable" error in the logs. Trying in ROM Manager also results in in random results each time I try, but never making it all the way through before it just hangs. The furthest I've gotten is 94 of 132.

Also on ICS Blackedition, but still on RC2.

photrash

Jun 11, 2011
Easydoesit ics rom works when fixing permissions in cwm or from manager. Other ics roms don't so far

photrash

Jun 11, 2011
What easydoesit ICS rom!?
The only one I see has no ice cream.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

I don't know but for some reason it's in the general forum and never made it to the development section. Remember to use the autorotation fix since the OP didn't update the ROM yet. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1576617

I ran into some weird superuser error...sometimes i lose root access when im trying to delete or change a system file. maybe i gotta wipe data and caches some more and reflash.

The fix permissions work fine for this ROM work fine in CWM and also in ROM manager

jangst123

Dec 18, 2010
Bucks County, PA
www.allformailers.com
I don't know but for some reason it's in the general forum and never made it to the development section. Remember to use the autorotation fix since the OP didn't update the ROM yet. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1576617

I ran into some weird superuser error...sometimes i lose root access when im trying to delete or change a system file. maybe i gotta wipe data and caches some more and reflash.

The fix permissions work fine for this ROM work fine in CWM and also in ROM manager

I'll check it out later.
But if this is ture I hope a developer takes a look at it and figurers out why fix permishions only works on that ROM and not the other ICS ROMs

photrash

Jun 11, 2011
I'll check it out later.
But if this is ture I hope a developer takes a look at it and figurers out why fix permishions only works on that ROM and not the other ICS ROMs

Yeah that and the ORIGINAL leak by racer is the only ics roms that work. I tried all ics t989 roms haha. IM currently running some skyrocket roms and fix permissions isn't working properly in cwm. It's frustrating sometimes because I need it to work haha

mimicvii

Feb 25, 2011
Nashville
RealPariah posted a workaround over in the Blackedition ICS thread that worked for me:

Issue: fix permissions won't run from recovery (correctly (it says done in less than 60 secs and stops instantly for me saying completed and while in Android; ROM manager script runs but freezes at random points (same if you open terminal emulator and run it).

Resolution:
Boot in to Recovery

Once that opens and you get ~# run "sh fix_permissions -l -r" just like that (with two separate - don't do -lr or it won't run)

If it says something about read only variable you forgot the preceding sh (may need to do "cd /sbin" then "sh fix_permissions" if you still have an issue.

This is only way I can get fix permissions to run (even tried sh fix_permissions -l -r in Android terminal emulator and script manager to no avail)

After fix permissions ran correctly it really helped iron some small performance issues and notably helped.

I hoped that helps!

I had to do the "cd /sbin" thing before running "sh fix_permissions -l -r" inside the adb shell, but it actually ran without a hitch!

jangst123

Dec 18, 2010
Bucks County, PA
www.allformailers.com
Not quite a solution, but it gets the job done!
You still will not be able to fix perms in CWM or ROM Manager
I had to do the same "cd /sbin" then "sh fix_permissions -l -r" to get it to work

RealPariah posted a workaround over in the Blackedition ICS thread that worked for me:

I had to do the "cd /sbin" thing before running "sh fix_permissions -l -r" inside the adb shell, but it actually ran without a hitch!

Kendr1ck

Apr 28, 2007
Thanks for this. resolved some issues I had with a specific application force closing on me.

promiseofcake

Dec 8, 2011
San Francisco
I am under the impression this has to do with the fact that a lot of I727 users, if not all, are having issues mounting /system inside of ICS. Mounting in recovery is fine but it seems that mounting /system inside of ICS works ONCE after flashing a kernel and then never again.

ShermCraig

Oct 26, 2009
New York, NY
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Wow, I'm really stuck. I tried without "SU" but that didn't help. Here is my cmd screen:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Adb>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
26d7140a device

C:\Adb>adb shell
sh-3.2$ cd /sbin
cd /sbin
sh: cd: /sbin: Permission denied
sh-3.2$ su
su
sh-3.2# cd /sbin
cd /sbin
sh-3.2# sh fix_permissions -l -r
sh fix_permissions -l -r
sh: fix_permissions: No such file or directory
sh-3.2#

Any help or guidance is appreciated!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Latest!! Switch to TWRP 2.1.8 (June 18th 2012)

Anyone else having a problem Fixing Permisshions? And how did you fix it?

I noticed it would take 2 seconds to run, so I decided to go to "Show log"

Here is the log

I:Checking for extendedcommand, file not found...
    /sbin/fix_permissions: line 64: UID readonly variable
    Done!
    ro.carrier=unknown
    ro.bootloader=unknown
    ro.hardware=qcom
    ro.revision=0
    init.svc.recovery=running
    init.svc.adbd=running

Tried:
    Running from Rom Manager but it always stalls, never the same place and if I run it multiple times back to back it stalls sooner and sooner
    touch recovery
    re-installing recovery
    clearing download in rom manager and re-installing recovery
    setting rom manager to delete recovery before installing
    Wipe / reset, wipe cache & dalvik, with superwipe 2 times and re-installing

ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.7

Running [ROM] [cwm]-BLACKEDITION FOR THE SGS2 4-10-2012-ICS RC6

A work around has been found! Thanks to RealPariah, so thank him here!
    It is not a fix due to the fact that you still will not be able to fix permissions in CWM or Rom Manager but does get the job done of Fixing Permissions!!

1st Do you have the Google android installed?
    If not download and install it! http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0.htm
    you might need to install the JDK, if you don't have it already.

2nd Your path to adb must not be set or is not correct.
    See http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1161776

Now you should be ready to use adb!

STOP!
    Fixed in this New CWM Recovery or
    GOTO THE DEVELOPMENT THREAD!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1604581

Most recent Fix Script / Work Around found here
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25023284&postcount=22

Boot in to Recovery
    In Recovery Go in to "mounts and storage" and mount /system and /data
    On computer open a command line window (windows) [click start] then [run] then type "cmd" to get a command prompt or terminal (Linux or OSX)

Now type "adb shell" enter

Once that opens and you get ~#
    now type cd /sbin
    then type
    sh fix_permissions -l -r

done correctly, your command prompt should look like the following

C:\Documents and Settings\family>adb shell
    ~ # cd /sbin
    cd /sbin
    /sbin # sh fix_permissions -l -r
    sh fix_permissions -l -r
    fix_permissions 2.04 started at 04-18-2012 02:28:21
    Processing (1 of 177): com.google.android.location...
    Processing (2 of 177): com.sec.android.app.phoneutil...
    Processing (3 of 177): com.android.defcontainer...
    Processing (4 of 177): com.sec.phone...
    Processing (5 of 177): com.android.contacts...
    Processing (6 of 177): com.android.phone...

ORIGIONAL

Resolution:
    Do you have the Google android installed?
    If not download and install it!
    [/url]http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0.html

Boot in to Recovery

I hoped that helps! :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Resolution:
    Boot in to Recovery

I hoped that helps!

i posted a potentially working CWM flashable zip in the dev forum thread.
    Tried it and did not work for me, but this did!
    New CWM Recovery

yep i helped push that fix into the newest version.

the issue in rom manager could be fixed via proper symlinking/busybox install probably. it would have no effect on how recovery fix permission works though because its loaded from a ramdisk if im not mistaken.