[ROM] HTC Eris March 2011 OTA Stock ROM - v2.41.605.6

Search This thread

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
Here is a flashable version of the full HTC Eris stock ROM - v 2.41.605.6.

March2011_OTA_ReferenceROM_v1.zip ( 99,606,802 Bytes; MD5: 770786915545a16f564a42e344ce7bb6 )
( 02/15/2012 - Re-hosted download link - thanks to XDA user doogald for providing a home for this ROM )

This is what you would get if you took the HTC 2.1 Leak-V3 PB00IMG.zip (same thing as the "Official 2.1 RUU") ROM, and then upgraded it twice - first with the July 2010 OTA, and then after that with the March 2011 OTA. (Using this ROM flash basically saves you that trouble.)

The ROM itself is completely stock, but unlike the "Flashback21" series of ROMs, this flash does not restore a stock recovery, nor flash any radio firmware - you can use it just like any other ROM.

(It is not meant to used for preparing a phone for resale or return - use the FlashBack21 ROM for that).

AGAIN, please note that this ROM is completely stock - it is not even rooted.

Feel free to use it as the basis for other 2.1 Sense ROMs.

If you want to have a "pure HTC stock ROM", but with the benefits of overclocking and rooting, I suggest you flash the "engtools3.zip" and Conap's "CFSv9" kernel immediately after flashing this. This would get you "stock+root+overclocking" - kind of like the original "PlainJane" ROM, but patched up to the current (3/2011) HTC software release.

One other note. Out of curiosity, I decided to run some benchmarks on a GB ROM vs. this HTC ROM, but using the same kernel (CFSv9), and clocked at a fixed rate (setCPU min = max = 748Mhz). So, I performed the kernel replacement and then ran a couple benchmarks.

This allows a crude comparison of what the improvements in the underlying dalvik engine have been between the Eclair release and the Gingerbread release - it is sort of "apples to apples" because the same kernel, scheduler, applications, and clock rates are used.

The numbers here are not the absolute benchmark values, but rather their RATIO - GB:Eclair. (In the cases where the benchmark value is "lower = better", or elapsed time, the value is inverted so that in all cases, a number greater than 1.0 indicates an improvement in Gingerbread). I used JIT = on, and compcache off for the GB ROM.

Code:
Ratio  Benchmark
1.57   Quadrant Full
1.16   Elapsed Time (wall clock time) for Quadrant Full
1.10   setCPU "Long Bench"
0.96   setCPU "Native Bench" **
-.--   Linpack for Android  - Skipped  (not meaningful - too sensitive to JIT)

** This one should be very close to 1.0, as native code does not depend on the dalvik app engine.

In "real world" terms, Quadrant's raw score probably is not too meaningful - but notice that in elapsed time for the full benchmark, the GB ROM was consistently about 16% faster to completion. That measurement - wall clock time - is a "real world" metric. So, in addition to all the other goodness of Froyo/GB, you do seem to get a decent improvement - 10 to 15% - by switching to GB.

cheers,

bftb0

Last edited:

moos3y

Jun 15, 2010
Good work! I will definitely use this because I always keep falling back in love with stock HTC Sense xD

Sent from my Eris using XDA Premium App

tenzomonk

May 5, 2010
www.yourmamashouse.com
nice! bftb0 always providing quality work/info for the Eris community! i was actually doing something similar! good to see you providing the Eris users even more choices!

thanks again!

zach.xtr

Apr 9, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Thank you bftb0!

This saves a lot of time for all the base work on future updated versions of xtrROM and xtrSENSE! I really appreciate all you do for us in the Eris community.

Cheers

Sent from my Eris using XDA App

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
I think that the superlatives being tossed around here are causing the eyes of the real devs in this forum to roll backwards in their heads. I hope not!

There's not much skill in putting a stock ROM together - just a bunch of checking to make sure you've got all the symlinks, file modes, and permissions set up correctly. Then, zip it up and sign it!

( I did load it onto my phone and check everything to make sure nothing had gone horrible wrong; I suppose that counts for something - but that's not mad skilz, either. )

bftb0

Reactions: chlila

semmtexx

Jan 25, 2008
I think that the superlatives being tossed around here are causing the eyes of the real devs in this forum to roll backwards in their heads. I hope not!

There's not much skill in putting a stock ROM together - just a bunch of checking to make sure you've got all the symlinks, file modes, and permissions set up correctly. Then, zip it up and sign it!

( I did load it onto my phone and check everything to make sure nothing had gone horrible wrong; I suppose that counts for something - but that's not mad skilz, either. )

bftb0
Oh stop being modest. You rock admit it.

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
So what's different in this new ota?

Sent from my CPCEris using XDA App

Looks like it is mostly bug fixes with some enhancements in the Exchange client, MMS capabilities, and several other things.

Here is what Verizon had to say about it.

I did a "file differences analysis" (see this XDA post) that showed that 101 (out of ~127) different pre-installed apps had (.apk) changes, and 20 different framework libraries (.jar) showed changes too. Whether they were major or minor, I don't really know - just that it was apparent that a lot of stuff got "touched". The "system" image in both releases have a little north of 810 files in them - about 260 of those got changed.

I only had the ROM running for a short period of time (to do testing); the one thing that I noticed is that on my home WiFi (uses WPA), the association process was instantaneous - that was sort of rare for me in the past.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member

bftb0

Oh stop being modest. You rock admit it.

bftb0, the amount you help EVERYONE, no matter what ROM they are running or trying to run, is extraordinary. You may feel that you're "just doing your thing", but you deserve the praise that you get.

doogald

May 27, 2010
I only had the ROM running for a short period of time (to do testing); the one thing that I noticed is that on my home WiFi (uses WPA), the association process was instantaneous - that was sort of rare for me in the past.

I never had problem with WiFi and stock, but I do for sure with CM ROMs running CFS when I turn on WiFi from a widget. However, just to test, I flashed CFS v9 over this last night, turned off WiFi for a while, then turned it back on from the widget, and it also associated right away for me.

jonathanphx1

Apr 7, 2010
I have themed this ROM and am about 80% done with it. Thanks for this runs really well on the stock kernal. I am just wondering how popular 2.1 is now with Froyo and GB out. If there was a base of people that like sense eclair I would consider releasing it once it was finished.

chlila

Sep 5, 2010
I have themed this ROM and am about 80% done with it. Thanks for this runs really well on the stock kernal. I am just wondering how popular 2.1 is now with Froyo and GB out. If there was a base of people that like sense eclair I would consider releasing it once it was finished.

I would love a theme with a blue battery and themed dialer! Would it be similar to the "Sensibility for Sense 2.2" theme you were working on?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a flashable version of the full HTC Eris stock ROM - v 2.41.605.6.

March2011_OTA_ReferenceROM_v1.zip ( 99,606,802 Bytes; MD5: 770786915545a16f564a42e344ce7bb6 )
    ( 02/15/2012 - Re-hosted download link - thanks to XDA user doogald for providing a home for this ROM )

This is what you would get if you took the HTC 2.1 Leak-V3 PB00IMG.zip (same thing as the "Official 2.1 RUU") ROM, and then upgraded it twice - first with the July 2010 OTA, and then after that with the March 2011 OTA. (Using this ROM flash basically saves you that trouble.)

The ROM itself is completely stock, but unlike the "Flashback21" series of ROMs, this flash does not restore a stock recovery, nor flash any radio firmware - you can use it just like any other ROM.

(It is not meant to used for preparing a phone for resale or return - use the FlashBack21 ROM for that).

AGAIN, please note that this ROM is completely stock - it is not even rooted.

Feel free to use it as the basis for other 2.1 Sense ROMs.

If you want to have a "pure HTC stock ROM", but with the benefits of overclocking and rooting, I suggest you flash the "engtools3.zip" and Conap's "CFSv9" kernel immediately after flashing this. This would get you "stock+root+overclocking" - kind of like the original "PlainJane" ROM, but patched up to the current (3/2011) HTC software release.

One other note. Out of curiosity, I decided to run some benchmarks on a GB ROM vs. this HTC ROM, but using the same kernel (CFSv9), and clocked at a fixed rate (setCPU min = max = 748Mhz). So, I performed the kernel replacement and then ran a couple benchmarks.

This allows a crude comparison of what the improvements in the underlying dalvik engine have been between the Eclair release and the Gingerbread release - it is sort of "apples to apples" because the same kernel, scheduler, applications, and clock rates are used.

The numbers here are not the absolute benchmark values, but rather their RATIO - GB:Eclair. (In the cases where the benchmark value is "lower = better", or elapsed time, the value is inverted so that in all cases, a number greater than 1.0 indicates an improvement in Gingerbread). I used JIT = on, and compcache off for the GB ROM.

Code:
    Ratio  Benchmark
    1.57   Quadrant Full
    1.16   Elapsed Time (wall clock time) for Quadrant Full
    1.10   setCPU "Long Bench"
    0.96   setCPU "Native Bench" **
    -.--   Linpack for Android  - Skipped  (not meaningful - too sensitive to JIT)

** This one should be very close to 1.0, as native code does not depend on the dalvik app engine.

In "real world" terms, Quadrant's raw score probably is not too meaningful - but notice that in elapsed time for the full benchmark, the GB ROM was consistently about 16% faster to completion. That measurement - wall clock time - is a "real world" metric. So, in addition to all the other goodness of Froyo/GB, you do seem to get a decent improvement - 10 to 15% - by switching to GB.

cheers,

bftb0

bftb0
    So what's different in this new ota?

Sent from my CPCEris using XDA App

Looks like it is mostly bug fixes with some enhancements in the Exchange client, MMS capabilities, and several other things.

Here is what Verizon had to say about it.

I did a "file differences analysis" (see this XDA post) that showed that 101 (out of ~127) different pre-installed apps had (.apk) changes, and 20 different framework libraries (.jar) showed changes too. Whether they were major or minor, I don't really know - just that it was apparent that a lot of stuff got "touched". The "system" image in both releases have a little north of 810 files in them - about 260 of those got changed.

No offense taken. If zach decides to release another xtr ROM based of this OTA I would run it as well. I am in no way knowledgable as far as tweeking ROMs, I just figured that what better ROM to theme/customize then the most up to date stock HTC rom.

Thanks to bftb0 doing the heaving lifting on preping the base I got pulled into an all night building of xtrSENSE5.0 last night ;) I hope to have it ready for beta in the next day or so...

If you can make themes that can flash on top of the ROM or via Metamorph I am all for including a link to them in the ROM OP...

As for if folks are still using 2.1 both my ROMs still get a number of downloads as there are a number of items that the HTC codebase does more reliably than any of the CM or ASOP builds.

:D