[Q] need some help with this

Search This thread

miseryvein

Jun 10, 2014
ok, i just got a captivate glide from my gf, ive been looking into flashing and rooting for about 3 months, but i JUST got an android (ik so behind) but originally i was looking into sidekick 4g for keyboard but this worked too in my eyes and it was free so i figured why not, but either way i wanted to root and flash, but now im at a barricade that im not sure if to continue or not, i rooted using one of the threads directions

this one to be exact
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1378082

i ran into a barricade here at first, the initial set up wouldnt run, i fixed that by doing the Vol. Down plus Power recovery mode i think its called, and clearing memory then rebooting and it worked fine, i was rooted and had the super user app as well (some boxes from widgets were invosible like accuweather and the android assistant thing but, thats ok).

ok next step i knew if i was supposed to try to flash a rom i should back up EFS which i did with some difficulty (such as figuring out i needed busybox lol)

ok now my next step was installing ROM manager by clockworkmods

NOW onto the actual part i need help with that i couldnt figure out myself (and excuse me for being newbish here too as i dont know much but im not bad with tech either but i felt i damn near bricked the phone in the process already so i WANT to continue with guidance before i do anything else)

now that im rooted, now that everythings backed up on my computer and ive got rommanager and everything

what now

will i still be rooted once i flash a rom? will i still have busy box, super user, all of that stuff? (as the thread i rooted with clearly said that was flashing a rooted rom)

and theres some other personalization questions i need help with too but thats more towards once ik what direction im going in

and uh.. not sure if it matters but im on metropcs service, so occasionally i get issues if i have to reset the phone at all as i have to change the ANP or ADP cant remember the acronym but ive got to change it from some t-mobile one to the metropcs one, i dont see why that would matter but, its a just in case emasure, also im using the ATT one not rodgers (not even sure what rodgers is tbh)

EDIT: OH one last thing. the rooted rom is gingerbread.. thats my main reason for wanting to change it.. i want kitkat, or would prefer kitkat, but id like some opinions as well on what perhaps the best ROM would be, im not sure between omni-rom and cyanogynmod which are the main ones im looking into, but, again, get more into that later

Last edited:

miseryvein

Jun 10, 2014
ok now

now im looking through the Rom info.. and.. im starting to wonder.. is it even worth it?
what sacrifices am i going to be making if i flash a custom? what all can i change without flashing a custom? and can i still get kitkat without screwing up my root (KIES?? or ODIN??) its just the things like this that make me wonder... i want the root, that much i DO know, theres so much i can do with rooting im seeing this and enjoying this, but i just need some type of guidance as to what to do, and if theres a better place for this thread please feel free to move it as i do see that it might be ok to have under general ndroid questions, but, i wasnt all too sure on it as this isthe phone im using so any issues deriving from the phone type might screw someone up

bubor

Feb 7, 2013
Most of the custom roms are rooted already.
There is only 4.0 official, no kitkat. We dont have odin custom images, nor KIES. You must wipe your data, system, boot parition, install KK means clean phone for you.
I think KK is better then official, but it has some limitation.

Reactions: miseryvein

miseryvein

Jun 10, 2014
There is only 4.0 official, no kitkat. We dont have odin custom images, nor KIES. You must wipe your data, system, boot parition, install KK means clean phone for you.

ok.. im confused then, cause i had kitkat on it when i used kies to update firmware, or atleast i thought i did, perhaps because both had 4 and i was sleepy i was confused lol, and sorry but if KK doesnt mean KitKat then what does it mean. and how high will a custom Rom take me in terms of lining up with official, just to ice cream sandwich?. and.. cyanogenmod, ive been tempted to get it but.. im not sure exactly which one to get because when i was on the site i only found captivate in the devices not captivate glide

EDIT: one more thing, as far as wiping the phone clean and starting over, what do i use.
and of course if you say the rest are rooted, then whats one of the best kernels and roms to use then, its true i want atleast ICS on here, so.. if im right i looked up KK, do you mean KKlauncher the app?

Last edited:

miseryvein

Jun 10, 2014
well...

ok i soft bricked my phone, it just shut down in middle of installing some fonts, and for some reason i cant restore it even tho i created a back up as it advised me to do so, i get errors in CWM recovery,

now im about to just do this

using this as a sort of reference so people can keep track of me if something else happens that i mess up..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1890125

bubor

Feb 7, 2013
ok.. im confused then, cause i had kitkat on it when i used kies to update firmware, or atleast i thought i did, perhaps because both had 4 and i was sleepy i was confused lol, and sorry but if KK doesnt mean KitKat then what does it mean. and how high will a custom Rom take me in terms of lining up with official, just to ice cream sandwich?. and.. cyanogenmod, ive been tempted to get it but.. im not sure exactly which one to get because when i was on the site i only found captivate in the devices not captivate glide

EDIT: one more thing, as far as wiping the phone clean and starting over, what do i use.
and of course if you say the rest are rooted, then whats one of the best kernels and roms to use then, its true i want atleast ICS on here, so.. if im right i looked up KK, do you mean KKlauncher the app?

I mean KK is kitkat. I dont know what did you read, but there is ICS the last official.
Cyanogenmod and other custom roms has own official support, that what you can download rom their site. We dont have official support from them, you cant download those roms from there. You can found download link in rom's threads.
Start reading here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2623635
I preffer CM11, but yon can found many other KK roms.
If you brick you randroid, just reinstall same you had.

Reactions: miseryvein

miseryvein

Jun 10, 2014
I mean KK is kitkat. I dont know what did you read, but there is ICS the last official.
Cyanogenmod and other custom roms has own official support, that what you can download rom their site. We dont have official support from them, you cant download those roms from there. You can found download link in rom's threads.

hell i got it back on default ICS now lol, i screwed it up XD and yea ik you guys dont have the downloads your selves but the links and guidance of what i should be doing is basically what i was after ill look at the link you gave me, i think im going to chill out with the flashing right this second, but ill pick it back up later im sure, i atleast liked the cpu setting apps. made my battery last much longer and for what time it lasted i loved it

miseryvein

Jun 10, 2014
ok another thing im concerned with is alot have bugs that are deal breakers for me, such as messing up the keyboard (the whole reason i have this phone)

and looking through it i do like CM11 too
but looking at your post
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588304
can you explain what you mean by the fixed rotation and skype issues,
and perhaps is there a full feature list somewhere? thats one big thing i want to look at if possible, i usually just keep seeing bug fixes on any ROM

bubor

Feb 7, 2013
Voip apps (skype,vibert etc) have strange sound, only temporaly fix exists.
When you take a picture with camera, it has fix rotation, I dont remember witch position is the fixed one, but you make photos with different rotation, the picture will be rotate 90/180/270, and you must fix the image.
Most importan bug are: phone call sound doesnt work with BT devices, and voip sound is buggy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.