I know that stuff like this has been posted before but I have never seen a full guide begining to end on how to backup your rom so here is the complete guide (with links) beginning to end of how to backup your WM6X ROM on HTC's Shift to an NBH
To do this you will need a HTC Shift (dir), and basic knowledge of Windows Mobile, Vista, the command prompt and Syncing a WM device with a computer.
NOTE: I am NOT sure if you need HardSPL on the device to flash the ROM back onto your Shift (if someone could let me know that would be great), my guess is that you do as the created nbh will not be signed with HTC's Cert - HardSPL can be found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=406606 and is compatible with GSM Shifts only (x9500)
If anyone has any suggestions as to how this post could be improved or tell me if something needs a more in-depth explanation, let me know - Thanks.
- First you will need to Liberate your shift; instructions on how to do this can be found here: http://www.modaco.com/content/window...our-htc-shift/ (this step will "unlock" the restrictions on windows mobile - this is not necessary but makes installing RAPI tools and other files easier later.
- Download HardSPL (we are not going to install HardSPL in this post, but the download includes RAPI that is needed prior to the next step) from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=406606
When the download has finished extract the contents and copy EnableRapi.cab to your device (To do this select Settings from the today screen > USB Tool > Options > Detach from Vista > Options Attach to Vista - yes detach is not always required but seems to solve some issues with syncing).
Your device will now appear in "My Computer"; copy the file somewhere to your device then switch to Windows mobile and run the file.
- Download the latest version of itsutils from: http://www.xs4all.nl/~itsme/projects/xda/tools.html (Look under download section) then follow the instructions on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=382609
After you have followed the instructions there you will have created RAW files of your Windows Mobile ROM (on the post you will notice the the code window in color - these may be different depending on your device and may need to be changed)
- Now we need to convert the raw file to an nbh to do this you will need to download the shift kitchen from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=422914 then extract the files from the rar archive (using winrar, winace etc)
On some computers the below operation may fail saying "Error loading dll msvcr71.dll" so you should download and extract the attached zip file (msvcr71.zip) to the Tools directory
When you have done that put the *.raw files created by itsutils into the BaseROM directory and run the !BEGIN.cmd file
Select option 2 when asked to rebuild a ROM and follow instructions.
When the command has completed run the !COOK.cmd file; When a window appears titled BuildOS Click on the Play button and wait for the process to complete then close the BuildOS window
Follow further instructions; until another window appears, Select Shift as the "Target Device" and under "OS" select os-new.nb, then click "Build NBH!",
A window will appear asking you to save the NBH - DO NOT CHANGE THE PATH as it kept crashing when I tried to save elsewhere and call the file RUU_Signed.nbh
- Copy the file RUU_Signed.nbh where you want and download and extract CustomRUU.zip (attached) to the same path
- To restore the ROM all you need to do is Sync with Vista and run CustomRUU.exe
Feedback is always welcome,