[JB ROOT] motochopper works! (Root JB 4.1.1 & 4.2.1 with locked bootloader!)

Search This thread

Beeble1983

Jul 2, 2010
Sydney
Thanks for responding. I downloaded the official Asus Unlock Device Tool v 6 and I get an error when I run it
network connection issue. I have a really strong internet connection. Someone suggested registering the device on Asus so I am going to try that next. Damn I have rooted phones and installed roms a heck of a lot easier than this thing.
Have you made any progress? im in the same boat

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit: Motochopper hasnt worked for a long time.

If you want to root without unlocking, try Kingo.
    (Due to XDA rules, we cant link to it, so you can just google it.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:
    I got my TF300T with JB preinstalled. So I've never been able to root until today. (I didn't want to unlock my bootloader.)

Motochopper is a root method made for the Motorola Razr HD by djrbliss (Dan Rosenberg), but is said to work on many other devices, including non-motorola ones.

I tried motochopper on my TF300T. I was rooted in about a minute!

Confirmed working with:
    • TF300T - 4.1.1
    • TF300T - 4.2.1 (Apparently Fails with 10.6.1.27)
    • TF300TG - 4.1.1
    • TF201
    • TF700 - 4.1.1
    • TF700 - 4.2.1
    • ME301T - 4.2.1 (Memo Smart Pad 10)
    • Nexus 7 - Link
    • Asus Transformer AIO P1801 B100K - 4.2.1

Failures:
    • Motorola Droid 4 - 4.1.2
    • TF700KL - 4.1.1
    • Motorola Droid 2 Global - 2.3.4 (1 success, 1 failure?)

Notes:
    It installs SuperSu (which will ask to be updated)
    It installs busybox 1.17 (which you will have to update manually)

Backup your root with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper!!!

If Motochopper fails, try Framaroot

This does not touch your bootloader.
    This is mainly for people that just want root, and don't want to deal with (or need) unlocking.

FYI: How to access "Developer Options" to set USB debugging: (Jelly Bean 4.2)
    Open up your device’s “Settings”. This can be done by pressing the Menu button while on your home screen and tapping “System settings”
    Now scroll to the bottom and tap “About phone” or “About tablet”.
    At the “About” screen, scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times.
    Make sure you tap seven times. If you see a “You are now a developer!” message pop up, then you know you have done it correctly.

Done! By tapping on “Build number” seven times, you have unlocked USB debugging mode on Android 4.2 and higher. You can now enable/disable it whenever you desire by going to “Settings” -> “Developer Options” -> “Debugging” ->” USB debugging”.

Source: http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/09/root-method-released-for-droid-razr-hd-running-android-4-1-2-other-devices-too/
    More Info: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/15208-root-motochopper-yet-another-android-root-exploit/page__pid__244281#entry244281

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?f4lipgd1hh3jug2
    (Its also attached to this post as a backup)
    My TF300TG is reporting version 4.1.1. unfortunately one of those that went in for repairs and now cannot unlock the bootloader,

As far as I can see this is the latest version for the WW SKU (the one i've got), as there is no newer version for download on the ASUS website.

Does anybody know if it will be safe to try this on my 4.1.1. TF300TG?

It is safe to try.

Think you got a little mistake there. As far as I know the tf300 never had 4.1.2 ;)
    Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Oops! typo! fixed! good catch!

This is awesome! Good find OP!

Thanks! I was hoping that Dan Rosenberg (the king of root) would come out with a generic rooting proces for JB, and he did!

This sounds great! I have still a locked Pad and want to root with this.But I have one question:

Can this be undone anyhow if I want to send it to Asus for a repair in the future?:confused:

Yes. SuperSu has a option to fully unroot the tablet.
    Try this:
    cd /system/usr/we-need-root
    ./su-backup
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    cp su-backup /system/xbin/su

I forgot about remounting!

since he has a su file there, he should try this:

Code:
    ./su-backup
    chattr -i /system/xbin/su
    chmod 755 /system/xbin/su
    chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su

if that doesnt work:

Code:
    ./su-backup
    chattr -i /system/xbin/su
    rm /system/xbin/su
    cp su-backup /system/xbin/su

you may need to do this instead if the remount doesn't work:
    Code:
    busybox mount -o rw,remount /system
    thought it worked for the first time adb shell command went straight to a root shell, then checked ls -l /system/xbin/su, it was ---sr---wt so run earlier commands what failed to change permission this time i get results relayed back to me and it says su file is now -rwsr-sr-x root, going to reboot
    edit: wth for some reason even after that cant get supersu to work still, in android terminal su permission denied and file not found when I do is i- /system/xbin/su

damn, idk now. you have the correct permissions.
    maybe try Koush's Superuser or ChainsDD's Superuser.
    they might be able to update it and get it working.

I'm baffled as to why its not working for you now.
    sorry...

with access to the root shell, you can do anything - so search around on the net to see if you can find something that works.

This is the one of greatest achievement made by motochopper developer and Morlok8k who took risk and tested on his transformer and found to work, as well as shared with us all (The Transformer Owners).

But the thing I didn't understand is, why the XDA News Writer members has not yet recognized this and posted on xda portal? Is this really nothing? After JB OTA had released for transformer, there was no root and thousands of owners were waiting for it.

I even clicked "tip us?" on the first day of this thread release and I'm sure many of others have also clicked. Please "XDA News Writer members", bring this achievement to xda portal!

I clicked "tip us" as well.
    thanks for the complement!

Hi
    I failed to root my memo pad 7
    When I ran " run.bat " it started to root my device but I faced "BUS ERROR " during the process
    Can anyone help ?
    What is that BUS ERROR
    When I run SuperSU it says:
    "" There is no SuperSU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it . This is a problem ! ""
    Thanks

I googled for a second and found that the BUS ERROR typically happens on Mac's.
    Since you ran "run.bat", I'm assuming you are using windows.
    try updating to the latest version of adb.

hi, not working on my 201 with jb 4.1.1 uk, spent hours on trying diff ways! anyhelp step by step whould be great!

could you be more specific to what the problem is?

Can I ask a really dumb question?

What does this form of rooting allow me to do - or put another way, what does it not allow?

Will official updates still work?

This form of rooting just roots the device. You do not unlock the bootloader.
    So, if you are person who just wants the stock firmware, but rooted, this is for you.
    If you are interested in custom roms and installing custom recovery, you want to unlock your bootloader and go that route.

You will be able to get OTA updates with this method. (be sure to back up root, of course.)
    I've updated the original post to say that motochopper no longer works, and to try Kingo.