[DEV] Lets fix the GPS once and for all

Search This thread

Cipherblox

May 12, 2010
I started investigating this in sbrissen's AOSP JB thread when I was running Alpha 5 (Awesome ROM btw). In the interest of not hijacking/derailing this thread, I think it is time we finally figure out why in the world our phone's GPS is so flaky. The solution is almost assuredly in software.

Items of note:
Modem - Our devices GPS is housed within the Qualcomm QSC6085 silicon. Within there, according to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1343072 indicates that we have a pretty powerful SiRFStarIV chip. Thus, flashing new modems can affect our interaction with the GPS chip.

Additionally, the aforementioned thread indicates the AGPS is not used on our phone.

I've confirmed that AGPS is not used on our phone via the following logcat:
Code:
D/GPSD    ( 1767): load_xtra_bin: buf_len 50000
E/GPSD    ( 1767): load_xtra_bin: open /data/gps/xtra.bin failed. Permission denied.
E/GPSD    ( 1767): No cached xtra.bin. request to download new binary.

Perhaps with enough digging, we can find where our GPS gets stuck.

-GP

(FYI: Getting a fix on a GB ROM and then immediately flashing is not the solution. At best, the ARM Cortex M3 that operates our baseband, must store data in its own cache since it was recently accessed.)

Update: We have evidence that, in order to save costs on the SPH-D710, the SurfStarIV was removed and our AP (Exynos 4210) handles all GPS duties.

----------------------------------------------
Update 01/23/2013:
First off, I'm sorry for the lack of communication. Second off, I wish I had better news. To respond to a lot of the posts in the thread... this development is all but dead for a couple reasons:

1. IDA Pro is >$1000. IDA Free is free, but doesn't support ARM. I've been using IDA Pro Evaluation, but it only allows a certain amount of use before exiting and does not allow me to save my IDB files (Files that contain refactoring, comments, and changes). I dealt with it for a while, but it is extremely cumbersome to try and deal with while reversing an application of this size.

2. Despite the fact that it would be neat for us to completely understand the modem, it is unlikely that the modem image is directly related to our problem. Our phone has the Qualcomm QSC8085 CDMA Baseband processor. The modem.bin contains, in essence, a completely separate OS that runs in real time all the time (Commonly referred to as an RTOS or Real Time Operating System).

This OS has a lot of responsibilities such as tower negotiations and handoffs, maintaining account information with Sprint, among other things. It likely interfaces with a data buffer that is handled, in part, by the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) which is part of the Android Kernel. Aside from that, it is unknown everything else that the radio has access/control over.

With all of this in mind, it is *possible* that it has some manner of control over the GPS; however, the extent is unclear. Given that we can wipe the EFS partition, flash new Radio Images, and reprovision our phone with virtually no effect on GPS, we can conclude that the problem is unlikely to reside in this image.

--------------------

There are a couple things to consider:

1. Based on all of the above data, it is possible/likely that a small portion of flash memory (Perhaps SRAM (Synchronous RAM) - very small, very fast, very expensive, used for processor cache) is located on the die of the Qualcomm chip that stores data. Because this storage is not accessible to us (Though perhaps the radio OS has access in some way) it persists across data wipes. This would explain why a lock achieved on a TW based ROM will persist across flashes.

2. If we assume the above conclusion has any merit, it is possible/likely that the GPS Daemon or a similar closed source driver packaged with the kernel is not working entirely as expected. It would be very prudent to look into some of these closed source binaries and see what information could be extracted from them; however, they are, ARM binaries and would run into the same obstacles as I outlined above.

3. The tweaks and applications (ie: GPS Status, AngryGPS) that are so widely spread around our forums, while they are useful in optimizing a currently operational GPS, they will NOT/NOT suddenly make a GPS begin to work (This is not meant as a slight to those developers publishing the tweaks. They are, I'm sure, excellent developers who have found fantastic ways to optimize/tweak the functionality of various functions).

When flashing these tweaks, it is important to remember that you are dealing with an extremely complex piece of electronics with many shifting variables. In other words, coincidences happen. A bug fix is only truly a bug fix if it works consistently over a wide set of cases.

--------------

If there is enough developer interest (ie: ONLY those who have significant assembly language or RE experience) and if someone can come up with another way of disassembling ARM binaries, PM me and we can entertain a group effort over a few files that may yield some results.

-Gamingphreek

Edit: Just thought of this... objdump is not a viable disassembler for a binary of this size/complexity. Refactoring and Cross Referencing is all but a necessity.

Last edited:

Cipherblox

May 12, 2010
I wiped and flashed the latest CM9 Nightly. While the first lock took a few minutes, all subsequent locks have been nearly instantaneous.

While JB vs ICS may make this weird, I'm going to look at the diffs over the relevant files. I'd be particularly interest to see the results of a bdiff (Binary Diff) of the GPS Driver across different ROMs.

Reactions: dritchie84

dohchp

Account currently disabled
Feb 28, 2012
Usa
meettomy.site
I used qualcomms qpst program and checked an extra setting under the gps tab and i get almost instant locks. You go through the steps like you are going to manually update a prl but stop at the click roam tab and scroll over to the gps tab. I will have to look in the morning at exactly what the box was that i checked. I did this about a month ago and i have faster locks than ive ever had with any phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: EllGuapo and Nannuq

puch0021

Nov 2, 2011
Minneapolis
I used qualcomms qpst program and checked an extra setting under the gps tab and i get almost instant locks. You go through the steps like you are going to manually update a prl but stop at the click roam tab and scroll over to the gps tab. I will have to look in the morning at exactly what the box was that i checked. I did this about a month ago and i have faster locks than ive ever had with any phone.

Please keep us updated with that program.

Another quick question for discussion. Are quick alterations to the gps.conf likely to make any significant changes, or is it all placebo?

Last edited:

vinnythepooh

Sep 10, 2010
MA
After reading through the thread referenced in the OP I found the app mentioned on page 4. Even after i changed my build prop to GT-9100 the app GPS control SiRF refused to work. I emailed the developer to see what tweaks he is using underneath to enable the sleep mode on our SiRF IV gps chip. I'm awaiting feedback and will share any info the we might be able to apply into the Gps lib or through direct ways

Last edited:

I'M NOT YELLING

Dec 9, 2010
San Antonio, TX

Where did you get this software from? I'm desperate to improve my GPS in anyway possible.

Nannuq

Jul 27, 2010

ok the information that Dohchp posted got me thinking so I started following what he did. However once to the GPS screen only the top box was selected and I had no clue what the rest meant so I searched and besides finding out what each thing means I found this site with a guide for blackberries. I decided what the heck I'll try before the hack it took 82 seconds to lock here in northern Idaho with mountains all around after the hack it took 17 seconds.

http://bbsoftware.weebly.com/uploads/1/7/9/3/1793039/gps_limitations_pdf.pdf

I take no credit for this since all I did was a little research. I have only had this on my phone for about 5 minutes now and will continue to test it out. if you screw up your phone that is your fault for not reading enough before doing stuff to it. If you are afraid to screw up your phone then don't mess with it.

Update: disabled GPS waited a few minutes turned it back on locked in 16s got 9 sats was only getting 4 sats before the modification

Not sure that is matters but I am using Calk's 3.0 GB rom and like Bigt2003's post below me I have been using Faster Fix from the market. However even with that I was getting the times I posted here in the valley.

update: 45 minutes after the mod. While standing in the yard I enabled the gps and had a lock in 24s. I then walked into my apartment to it's closest to center location and ,not surprising, Imidiately lost all satilites gaining them back with in 16s of moving back outside. Probably to much info but better to have too much than not enough.

Update: after just a few hours with the GPS left on but not mapping software running my lock is taking just as long as it did before 81s to lock all locks after that are sub 20s but that is after it's initial lock. So this method is a bust unless a slight variation of the settings changes something. There were no ill effects to doing this that I noticed.

Last edited:
Reactions: I'M NOT YELLING

Bigt2003

Don't know if it will help but I'm just reporting what worked for me. I'm using phantom's alpha 4.3 (jb) and I couldn't get a lock for over an hour. I had no satellites showing in GPS Status. I used Faster Fix from the market and set the location North America. I rebooted and locked on to 7/8 in 12 seconds. It may not be a technical repair, but it worked for me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Nannuq

Nannuq

Jul 27, 2010

All you did was enable all the gps features?

Enabled and the info to the right as well the Ip address and such. I made it so that when I read from the phone It matched the screen from the guide exactly.

I must point out that once written to the phone, the phone will reboot. As is generally the case the GPS locks very fast right after a reboot, at least for me, so all this could just be that and not actually doing a thing to resolve the issue of getting a lock hours or days later.

Last edited:

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
I had read the sirf gps chip was removed in the sph-D710 to save money and only uses the built in exynos chip for gps.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Nannuq

Jul 27, 2010
I had read the sirf gps chip was removed in the sph-D710 to save money and only uses the built in exynos chip for gps.

you are possibly correct about the chip since we don't have the sirfgps.conf in /etc that is in the international S2. Guess I'll start looking for a link showing it was in fact removed or not.

Update: It appears that Rocket321 may be correct after just a few hours my locks are taking just as long as before to get the initial lock. 81s so this possible solution is in fact not a solution.

Last edited:

I'M NOT YELLING

Dec 9, 2010
San Antonio, TX
ok the information that Dohchp posted got me thinking so I started following what he did. However once to the GPS screen only the top box was selected and I had no clue what the rest meant so I searched and besides finding out what each thing means I found this site with a guide for blackberries. I decided what the heck I'll try before the hack it took 82 seconds to lock here in northern Idaho with mountains all around after the hack it took 17 seconds.

http://bbsoftware.weebly.com/uploads/1/7/9/3/1793039/gps_limitations_pdf.pdf

I take no credit for this since all I did was a little research. I have only had this on my phone for about 5 minutes now and will continue to test it out. if you screw up your phone that is your fault for not reading enough before doing stuff to it. If you are afraid to screw up your phone then don't mess with it.

Update: disabled GPS waited a few minutes turned it back on locked in 16s got 9 sats was only getting 4 sats before the modification

Not sure that is matters but I am using Calk's 3.0 GB rom and like Bigt2003's post below me I have been using Faster Fix from the market. However even with that I was getting the times I posted here in the valley.

update: 45 minutes after the mod. While standing in the yard I enabled the gps and had a lock in 24s. I then walked into my apartment to it's closest to center location and ,not surprising, Imidiately lost all satilites gaining them back with in 16s of moving back outside. Probably to much info but better to have too much than not enough.

Update: after just a few hours with the GPS left on but not mapping software running my lock is taking just as long as it did before 81s to lock all locks after that are sub 20s but that is after it's initial lock. So this method is a bust unless a slight variation of the settings changes something. There were no ill effects to doing this that I noticed.
Good news on my end. I wasn't even getting a lock in CM10, at all, before this method. Mobile Odin'd back to EL29 and with that Blackberry guide I checked all the boxes in the gpsOne box, but I didn't enter in the IP or PDE port number. Flashed back to CM10 and had a lock in what I believe was the fastest I've had with this phone, ever (under 30 seconds). Accuracy was only up to 30-100 meters, though. I'll update this post again tomorrow with how goes the next lock.

Last edited:

puch0021

Nov 2, 2011
Minneapolis
I think we need to distinguish between the "GPS problems"we have.

Problem A is a GPS that doesn't lock at all.

Problem B is GPS that locks after a reboot but after idling for a long time, GPS becomes non functional. A reboot however typically fixes this.

I have problem B for example. However, after lashing Dark_Knight's_GPS_Fix, I've had really good luck with GPS. I even get locks after extended periods and even indoors at time. Accuracy is typically around 4-6M with 8+ satellites.
Link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep.../183562-mod-fix-gps-dark_knights_gps_fix.html

Anyone else run that fix? Thoughts?

Reactions: Nannuq

WhiteWidows

Jul 27, 2009

Problem B is GPS that locks after a reboot but after idling for a long time, GPS becomes non functional. A reboot however typically fixes this.

I have problem B for example. However, after lashing Dark_Knight's_GPS_Fix, I've had really good luck with GPS. I even get locks after extended periods and even indoors at time. Accuracy is typically around 4-6M with 8+ satellites.
Link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep.../183562-mod-fix-gps-dark_knights_gps_fix.html

I'd take caution flashing anything he made as he was found out to be a hack and a thief. He was banned and all his threads locked.

calisro

Sep 9, 2008
noneya

seems PLACEBO to me.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

I'd take caution flashing anything he made as he was found out to be a hack and a thief. He was banned and all his threads locked.

what he hack and steal? LOL

I'M NOT YELLING

Dec 9, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Good news on my end. I wasn't even getting a lock in CM10, at all, before this method. Mobile Odin'd back to EL29 and with that Blackberry guide I checked all the boxes in the gpsOne box, but I didn't enter in the IP or PDE port number. Flashed back to CM10 and had a lock in what I believe was the fastest I've had with this phone, ever (under 30 seconds). Accuracy was only up to 30-100 meters, though. I'll update this post again tomorrow with how goes the next lock.
Eh, woke up, went outside for a lock and didn't get anything at all. Just like it was before. Sigh.

wotan2525

Nov 16, 2011
Eh, woke up, went outside for a lock and didn't get anything at all. Just like it was before. Sigh.

I have the exact same issues. I've tried fasterfix and both gps fixes that have been posted on these boards. Have not had any success. I can get a GPS fix after maybe 5 minutes OUSTIDE with NO trees or buildings nearby. Once it locks in, if I move, I lose the signal again.

If I stand still the sats will slowly drop off and I'll be lost again. I took it to sprint and then wouldn't look at it until it's back to unrooted stock. That's my next move.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I started investigating this in sbrissen's AOSP JB thread when I was running Alpha 5 (Awesome ROM btw). In the interest of not hijacking/derailing this thread, I think it is time we finally figure out why in the world our phone's GPS is so flaky. The solution is almost assuredly in software.

Items of note:
    Modem - Our devices GPS is housed within the Qualcomm QSC6085 silicon. Within there, according to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1343072 indicates that we have a pretty powerful SiRFStarIV chip. Thus, flashing new modems can affect our interaction with the GPS chip.

Additionally, the aforementioned thread indicates the AGPS is not used on our phone.

I've confirmed that AGPS is not used on our phone via the following logcat:
    Code:
    D/GPSD    ( 1767): load_xtra_bin: buf_len 50000
    E/GPSD    ( 1767): load_xtra_bin: open /data/gps/xtra.bin failed. Permission denied.
    E/GPSD    ( 1767): No cached xtra.bin. request to download new binary.

Perhaps with enough digging, we can find where our GPS gets stuck.

-GP

(FYI: Getting a fix on a GB ROM and then immediately flashing is not the solution. At best, the ARM Cortex M3 that operates our baseband, must store data in its own cache since it was recently accessed.)

Update: We have evidence that, in order to save costs on the SPH-D710, the SurfStarIV was removed and our AP (Exynos 4210) handles all GPS duties.

----------------------------------------------
    Update 01/23/2013:
    First off, I'm sorry for the lack of communication. Second off, I wish I had better news. To respond to a lot of the posts in the thread... this development is all but dead for a couple reasons:

1. IDA Pro is >$1000. IDA Free is free, but doesn't support ARM. I've been using IDA Pro Evaluation, but it only allows a certain amount of use before exiting and does not allow me to save my IDB files (Files that contain refactoring, comments, and changes). I dealt with it for a while, but it is extremely cumbersome to try and deal with while reversing an application of this size.

2. Despite the fact that it would be neat for us to completely understand the modem, it is unlikely that the modem image is directly related to our problem. Our phone has the Qualcomm QSC8085 CDMA Baseband processor. The modem.bin contains, in essence, a completely separate OS that runs in real time all the time (Commonly referred to as an RTOS or Real Time Operating System).

This OS has a lot of responsibilities such as tower negotiations and handoffs, maintaining account information with Sprint, among other things. It likely interfaces with a data buffer that is handled, in part, by the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) which is part of the Android Kernel. Aside from that, it is unknown everything else that the radio has access/control over.

With all of this in mind, it is *possible* that it has some manner of control over the GPS; however, the extent is unclear. Given that we can wipe the EFS partition, flash new Radio Images, and reprovision our phone with virtually no effect on GPS, we can conclude that the problem is unlikely to reside in this image.

--------------------

1. Based on all of the above data, it is possible/likely that a small portion of flash memory (Perhaps SRAM (Synchronous RAM) - very small, very fast, very expensive, used for processor cache) is located on the die of the Qualcomm chip that stores data. Because this storage is not accessible to us (Though perhaps the radio OS has access in some way) it persists across data wipes. This would explain why a lock achieved on a TW based ROM will persist across flashes.

2. If we assume the above conclusion has any merit, it is possible/likely that the GPS Daemon or a similar closed source driver packaged with the kernel is not working entirely as expected. It would be very prudent to look into some of these closed source binaries and see what information could be extracted from them; however, they are, ARM binaries and would run into the same obstacles as I outlined above.

3. The tweaks and applications (ie: GPS Status, AngryGPS) that are so widely spread around our forums, while they are useful in optimizing a currently operational GPS, they will NOT/NOT suddenly make a GPS begin to work (This is not meant as a slight to those developers publishing the tweaks. They are, I'm sure, excellent developers who have found fantastic ways to optimize/tweak the functionality of various functions).

When flashing these tweaks, it is important to remember that you are dealing with an extremely complex piece of electronics with many shifting variables. In other words, coincidences happen. A bug fix is only truly a bug fix if it works consistently over a wide set of cases.

--------------

If there is enough developer interest (ie: ONLY those who have significant assembly language or RE experience) and if someone can come up with another way of disassembling ARM binaries, PM me and we can entertain a group effort over a few files that may yield some results.

-Gamingphreek

Edit: Just thought of this... objdump is not a viable disassembler for a binary of this size/complexity. Refactoring and Cross Referencing is all but a necessity.
    Wish I had better news

--------------------

--------------

-Gamingphreek

How is this any different than Resetting and Redownloading A-GPS data from GPS Status on the main ROM?

A-GPS is a bandaid, not a fix for the GPS. It can help lock faster, but it can't create a lock out of thin air.

I've been very busy (Work, Graduate School, moving, etc...) but I'm going to try and put some time into this this week.

My initial plan is to find a ROM where I am unable to get a GPS lock. Once I do, I'll hash mmcblk0 as well as all the partitions. I'll also grab an image of mmcblk0. After that I'll temp boot into a TW based ROM and do all of the same steps. Unless the NAND drivers are masking away hidden partitions (ie: Yellow Triangle) I should be able to find what changed.

My theory right now; however, is simply that the baseband has a small amount of L1/L2/L3 cache associated with it that (obviously) isn't affect by flashing. I'm going to try and pull some of the GPS files from a TW ROM - perhaps they are pulling from a more reliable server for the AGPS data.

-GP
    1. Google experience does mean something. It means the device comes stock with AOSP. Not some crappy manufacturer skin. As I noted before, this happens on many devices that are not officially supported by AOSP when flashing an AOSP ROM.

2. When you run into the "GPS will not lock" issue on AOSP ROMs, it flat out does not lock. There is no amount of waiting that fixes this. What you've experienced is not the same.

3. Fastboot devices typically come out with an engineering version of the bootloader. If you brick those devices with the eng bootloader installed, it unlocks R/W access to all partitions. Evidenced in the HTC EVO3D (which also has this issue). Good thing it can be unbricked too.

4. Flashing back to stock based ROMs seems to work for everybody else. Why? Who knows. But it does. Again, I applaud you attempting to find a real fix for it, as the current one is time consuming and obnoxious. Fortunately, we have to go back to stock based ROMs to do PRL and profile upgrades anyway and can just take care of that at the same time.

5. It's never been necessary to flash back to a GB ROM. Just a touchwiz ROM. All touchwiz ROMs are essentially stock...

6. If a missing binary or bad permissions were the only issues, I'm thinking they would have been found already.

Doesn't this thread belong in general? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1268451

1. So they come with a stock Android experience. What on earth does that matter other than other people are coding the ROM outside of those of us at XDA? Not sure why you seem to think that official support means anything when we can write everything ourselves.

2. So you have waited for 10 mins? 20 mins? 30 mins? Longer? I've had the E4GT since it came out and have never once had it not make a lock period.

3. We don't have a problem writing to wherever we want on our phones. Unless the driver is masking a particular partition or block of the NAND (Possible), we already have the ability to R/W anywhere.

4/5. Why is this relevant? I don't care that some ridiculous fix appears to work, I'm attempting to fix it.

6. Because no one ever makes a coding mistake.... Not only that, where did I suggest that this was a permission issue (What is a "binary" issue?). I found evidence that it could be a contributing factor - Chris41g even confirmed that, despite the fact that Stock ROM's don't use AGPS, his do.

Why would it belong in General? I'm actively reverse engineering the GPS Daemon and as soon as I get 3 seconds to put together, I can flash MD5, dd mmcblk0, and diff that against other ROMs. Sounds like a whole lot of development to me -- sorry I'm not meeting your levels of development.

Look, either contribute something to the development here or just stop posting here and taking up my time with this meaningless argument...

-GP