nvidia shled game stream on mac pro in bootcamp stuttery.

Search This thread

gogul1

Aug 20, 2013
Hello recently bought a 2008 mac pro and installed windows bootcamp onto it so that I can switch between windows 7 and osx mavericks whenever I want. I installed a PC GTX 680 into it which works like a dream.
I installed Geforce experience and optimized all my games.
When I go into the compatability list it says I have all the pre requisites to stream a game.
I the turn on the shield, it recognises all my games and when I choose one it loads on my PC straight away.
Unfortunatly as soon as game starts it's a stuttery mess and usually shuts down saying "cannot connect to PC"
Very odd. Went into my windows firewall settings but all nvidia game streaming stuff is ticked.
Currently here are my specs
Mac pro 2008 3.1 eight core xeon 2.8ghz cpu
KFA2 GTX 680 2gb DDR5 gpu Nvidia Driver 337.50
10GB DDR2 memory

SKY HUB router (new white one) model Wireless N

Nvidia Shield fully updated.

Not sure where problem is...

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
I'm having the same issues with my PC and a GTX770.
It's the connection.
I plugged a wifi stick in, set it up as ad-hoc, enabled the gaming/multimedia environment driver flag, disabled powersaving and now it's all fine.

gogul1

Aug 20, 2013
I'm having the same issues with my PC and a GTX770.
It's the connection.
I plugged a wifi stick in, set it up as ad-hoc, enabled the gaming/multimedia environment driver flag, disabled powersaving and now it's all fine.

Blimey sounds elaborate. I have disabled power saving in windows already in the power plan settings. how do you enable the gaming/multimedia environment driver flag?

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
go into the device manager, choose your wifi adapter -> properties, the flags should be there in the advance tab but it depends on your driver.

gogul1

Aug 20, 2013
go into the device manager, choose your wifi adapter -> properties, the flags should be there in the advance tab but it depends on your driver.

Ah I see. Assuming it's under network adapters there is a driver but no option for multimedia/gaming to be enabled which is a shame. Might have look into wifi dongles then :eek:(

gogul1

Aug 20, 2013
Ok so I disabled the wireless airport mini card via control panel/network connections
I then plugged in the TP-Link USB wifi (n) dongle. Connected to the internet (works fine).
I then started gamestream and tried to play several games. BORDERLANDS 2 and Max Payne 3. Both were stuttery messes that kept shutting down.
I then loaded up Skyrim and for some odd reason the graphic settings were all stupidly low but it seemed to run fine then?!
Very odd. Any ideas on what the problem is. I can stream my Vita onto PS4 via my router with no issues whatsoever but the shiled is a juddery, crashy mess.

I also have an Alienware M17X R3 with a 680M card installed. I tested it out on that and it seems much smoother. Doesn't shut down on start up and is reasonable. still slightly stuttery but not game breaking.

Solarenemy68

Jul 28, 2009
Dallas
You need wireless G at the very minimum to stream games. It is similar to playing a LAN game over wireless and you get lag and your player skips around. It is the same concept streaming the game as you are actually playing on the PC but viewing the video feed and controlling it from the Shield. A butt load of data is going back and fourth. Really it would not hurt to have wireless N if you do not.

gogul1

Aug 20, 2013
I have wireless N router and bot the dongle, airport extreme card and the netgear have wireless N.

Last edited:

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
N is fine, theyre backward compatible to both G and B.
u sure you updated both nvidia driver and GeForce Experience?

otherwise I can just think that there is another wifi network that is interrupting yours.

gogul1

Aug 20, 2013
N is fine, theyre backward compatible to both G and B.
u sure you updated both nvidia driver and GeForce Experience?

otherwise I can just think that there is another wifi network that is interrupting yours.

Was wondering the same thing so I attached an ethernet cable from the mac to the router to get as honest a signal as possible. It seemed to work a bit better, played max payne 3 for about 10 minutes before it started to stutter and crash again. Very odd, might be CPU or even the router but cannot tell at this moment in time.
My mac is about 2 1/2 metres away from the router with no walls between them :eek:s
Is there a way to directly stream from PC to shield without need to go through router to check?

Last edited:

gogul1

Aug 20, 2013
Here's the router I'm using. It should be good enough!
http://m.shop.sky.com/mt/www.sky.co...-hub/?un_jtt_v_cookiecheck=on&un_jtt_redirect

Key Features: 802.11bgn 2.4GHz WiFi; Integrated DSL modem; 4x 10/100 Ethernet ports; WEP, WPA/WPA2 & WPS security

Manufacturer: Sky

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/sky-hub_Peripheral_review#vIZzLlhmBatWDgC5.99

Been looking into replacing it with the newer Sky hub SR102 router. Here are it's specs, seem pretty much the same except it's a little bit more ready for fibre optic broadband
Wireless:
• 2.4GHz 802.11n standard, backwards compatible with 802.11 b/g standards
• 2×2 MIMO with internal antennas, 144Mbps maximum data transmission rate
• Smart Signal Selection – automatically and dynamically selects optimum wireless channel
• Wi-Fi Alliance certified

Last edited:

gogul1

Aug 20, 2013
Ok I bought an Asus DSL N66U which has dual band 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals. Its maximum is 450Mbps but it's still stuttery and poor signal. The nvidia shield cuts out after a little while. Am wondering where the problem is. It can't be the router!