HTC Amaze 4G vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Should I trade my Amaze 4G for a Galaxy Nexus?

• Yes, it's a justified trade!

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • No, keep the Amaze!

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

adslee

Sep 19, 2011
Scarborough
Hey guys, I've seen a lot of threads about our Amaze vs the SGS2, but not a whole lot about our Amaze vs the Galaxy Nexus. I could get a swap pretty easily, but I'm still on the fence about this, so I made a little list of reasons for and against the swap. I also want the opinions of my fellow Amaze users so your input is much appreciated!

Reasons to stay with the Amaze 4G

- the camera is MUCH better than the Galaxy Nexus, no contest there.
- the Galaxy Nexus has no microSD slot!
- the Amaze 4G is going to get the ICS update eventually, and with that, probably CM9 and more development
- the Amaze 4G has much better build quality
- the Amaze 4G has the option of HTC Sense ROMs for those who prefer it

Reasons to switch to the Galaxy Nexus

- the camera is inferior, however, it's still a decent camera that can replace your basic point and shoot
- 16 GB of storage is enough for most people, it may be inconvenient, but it can be bearable
- the Galaxy Nexus already has ICS, and since it's a world phone, it also has a much bigger development base
- the Galaxy Nexus sacrifices build quality for thinness and lightness, which some may prefer
- even though the screen is a pentile display, many may prefer the SAMOLED and higher resolution screen on the Galaxy Nexus over the SLCD screen on the Amaze
- it's a Google phone, meaning that it will most likely get the latest firmware updates (might even get to see Jellybean!)
- there are no soft keys, which means no soft key bleed problem so you'll have keys that are actually given a chance to light up (a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place)

Miscellaneous

- the Amaze is clocked at 1.5 GHz and the GNexus at 1.2 GHz, but it does not necessarily mean that the Amaze is faster. In fact, while playing games and running apps, I actually found the GNexus to run a tiny bit faster than the Amaze, but in other cases, the Amaze seems to out-perform the GNexus by a little bit, so the speed difference between the two CPUs is not as big as you think and may even be considered negligible
- both phones have a multi-coloured notification LED
- put yourself in my shoes, if you were offered a straight-up trade, your Amaze 4G for a (like) brand-new Galaxy Nexus, what would you do?

What do you folks think? I love the camera on the Amaze but the handset's shortcomings are really beginning to bother me. To be honest, if I had known that HTC wasn't as developer-friendly as they claimed to be, I wouldn't have picked the Amaze up, but at the same time, the Galaxy Nexus also has its fair share of weaknesses.

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio
I would have to keep my Amaze, simply because I found myself changing between aosp and sense Roms on my incredible. And since that it right around the corner...

I like sense too much to completely get rid of it, sometimes I do need a break from it though.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA

rubyman94

Nov 13, 2010
I would accept the trade man. Hands down the nexus the device to get because of the support from google.

G

glacierguy

I've always wanted to try the galaxy nexus... Skeptical though since its built by Samsung. :screwy:

Sent from my HTC Ruby running Android Revolution HD

EclipzeRemix

Oct 8, 2011
Eh, I don't like Samsung phones, and there is always something I don't like from the nexus phones......

jmhalder

Mar 26, 2008
illinois
It's a fair trade, I'll just mention 2 things, you can't un-see the pentile layout, once you notice, you'll always notice, and yes... it IS noticeable (but bearable on 720).

also, Amoled screens burn in, so 6 months from now you'll have some solid color spashscreen on the phone, and notice that you can see your softkeys hinted inside of it, I know 3 people with the GNex, and it's already happening to them.

As mentioned the camera is decent, but not as good as the Amaze.

Jellybean will be on it VERY shortly after being released. It comes with PURE aosp, and CM9 will have no bugs other than ones caused by modifications to AOSP... The Amaze CPU is faster, but with a 3.0 kernel and ICS, the GNex is quicker for most things.

I love my Amaze, and the second I can have AOSP ICS and a 3.x kernel, I'd probably disagree with the trade, but for now, it's worth it.

laggo

Oct 20, 2010
I would stick with the Amaze. The point about the CPU difference will change greatly when the amaze gets ICS. GB isn't dual core optimised while ICS is.

The only thing that the GN has over the Amaze is official Google support and look how that turned out for the Nexus S and ICS... It took forever!

jmhalder

Mar 26, 2008
illinois
The only thing that the GN has over the Amaze is official Google support and look how that turned out for the Nexus S and ICS... It took forever!
But it had CM9 builds almost immediately, and it didn't take long for the international Nexus S. The SPH-D720 is hardly a Nexus phone, it's a carrier phone, it works only on sprint, it's sold in their storefronts, and was never a "developer" phone. Although it took a little while for the i9020a/t to get ICS, they had a fully working build pretty much immediately after AOSP ICS source dropped.

Nexus line is for developers, the support is there, so if they don't get Jellybean immediately from google, the community will have it obscenely fast.

Pulsewave

Jan 23, 2012
Here
I'd have to side with the other amaze users out there and say keep the amaze.

The thing is, I always figure the nexus line was supposed to be the best "average" phone for developers. It's not supposed to be the latest and greatest at everything, it's supposed to represent the average android smartphone at the time of its release, so that if someone develops an app, they know that it'll work with the vast majority of android users. There's gonna be phones better than it and phones worse than it

BiznessMan

Mar 20, 2008
Salt Lake City
Honestly, I really really wanted the Galaxy Nexus and waited for a while to see if it would come to Tmo. Google's launch for the device was mad sloppy and I got sick of waiting.

I couldn't give up my Amaze for the Gnex. I use the camera all the time and I love that about this phone. Since having it in December I have over 1,000 pictures taken with it. In fact, when I traveled across the country to visit Pensylvania and Maryland two months ago, I didn't even bring a digital camera with me. Just used the Amaze the entire time and it worked out well.

Sure, development is slow on it and for some mysterious reason HTC is releasing Kernal Drivers for everything BUT this phone, but I feel like that leaves this small community up to a challenge. The work being done to get CM7 onto the Amaze is coming along nicely, and once they get the GSM/Wifi/NFC drivers working we'll finally have an AOSP rom running on this thing. It may be annoying to most people that we haven't gotten it fully running, but I see this as a big acomplishment for the few developers that we have here.

So yeah, I think I'll stick with the Amaze for a while. Its been very good to me :)

creativedevil

Oct 6, 2010
Toronto
I've always wanted to try the galaxy nexus... Skeptical though since its built by Samsung. :screwy:

Sent from my HTC Ruby running Android Revolution HD

What it is that you are skeptical about? I have used SGS II, 3 varieties, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and SGS original. I think, except than the feeling difference by holding the phone in your hand, there is nothing else which would make you worry of anything go wrong.

Compared to Amaze, yes, Nexus is totally different, 1 thing I love about Nexus phones is the Vanilla Android. Another thing I like about them is they have a different and whole new feeling about how one phone should feel like when you hold it or when its lying on your desk and someone overlooking is amazed with what its got, and the feeling it gives you with its curvy design is also something different which unfortunately no other manufactures have come up with.

On the other hand, I have used many htc phones too, i have had incredible s, amazing build quality. currently I am rocking Amaze 4g, a little bulky and heavy but phone feels good in hands, a little smaller and the fact that it too is made out of plastic, doesn't help much, but still a great phone.

Just my opinion.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Eh, I don't like Samsung phones, and there is always something I don't like from the nexus phones......

No offence, but since you are saying you don't like samsung phones, what is it that you don't like?? and what is it that you don't like nexus phones? I loved my first google phone, the nexus one, i have used nexus s for a long time, and i do have a galaxy nexus, they are great.

Yet the fact that they come with vanilla, is a choice of your own, whether you like a phone with a custom skin or stock android is your cup of tea... but seriously, what is it that you don't like?

Care to share your thoughts with the community?

G

glacierguy

Idk... They look boring, they're super lightweight (im clumsy) and I HATED my friend's Vibrant and my coworkers Galaxy S on Sprint. I have never liked samsung phones. TVs are awesome though. :D

Sent from my Stock Rooted and Highly Customized HTC Ruby using Tapatalk

stratax

Aug 21, 2010
Missouri (misery)
Idk... They look boring, they're super lightweight (im clumsy) and I HATED my friend's Vibrant and my coworkers Galaxy S on Sprint. I have never liked samsung phones. TVs are awesome though. :D

Sent from my Stock Rooted and Highly Customized HTC Ruby using Tapatalk

im with you on this, but.. my brother has the HTC incredible (still one of the best HTC phones made) and since its lightweight its harder for it to break/get damaged. our phones are bricks when it comes to weight lol so it would impact a lot more when dropping

fuego77

Oct 6, 2010
im with you on this, but.. my brother has the HTC incredible (still one of the best HTC phones made) and since its lightweight its harder for it to break/get damaged. our phones are bricks when it comes to weight lol so it would impact a lot more when dropping

Off topic, but my friend had the incredible. Loved that phone!!!!

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    bigger screen with higher resolution.. then PENTILE+screen burn = ****

Both devices are beautiful but have flaws like EVERY device, but to say the pentile display and screen burn are prevalent issues or lessens the quality are the words of someone that does not own one or simply bias. As far as power, or lack thereof, (1.2 vs 1.5) is a numbers game. The Amaze needs that extra power to navigate Sense while the GN is Vanilla, which is optimized to run on the GN and doesn't require that extra bump. On and on and on.............:rolleyes:

It comes down to preference. Both are definitely beast in their own right, but you have to decide which is worth keeping.

I couldn't decide, so I bought both! ;)
    Yeah thats what i was thinking. next phone i get will probably have a oled screen. the only phone that i am looking at that doesnt is the acer cloudmobile which im not even sure what screen it has

It looks like CloudMobile has an 4.3" HD IPS Display with a zero."air gap" design. Now that you mentioned this phone, I'm now interested. LOL.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    XDA Rules: http://xdaforums.com/announcement.php?a=81

10 Post Rule: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/xdas-10-post-rule/

XDA Marketplace Rules: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/market-place-rules-updated/

Sent from my Galaxy Note i717, using XDA Premium.
    I'm not surprised that all these posts support the amaze (it IS the amaze forum) however I am surprised by some of the arguments. Android development is obviously way better on the nexus it being supported directly from Google. And I agree that stock the brightness is a little low but 80% of the people that got the nexus got it to flash custom roms / kernels. And let me tell you. I get 3.5 hours screen on time with 75% brightness with Franco.kernel not to mention super smoothness. Also Google Wallet ! Might not be for everyone but let me tell you its a head turner. I will give the amaze camera better quality shots however the zero shutter lag on the nexus is amazing! Also rgb led light is great too! Amaze does have an sdcard which is good however most cloud storage is becoming more convenient especially with sites like drop box. Also I own both phones and my nexus doesn't have burn in. its 720p display is much better than my amaze's display.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    exactly!!! im not really big on Acer but this phone is going to make them shine :D the screen looks amazing

From what I've read, its a good phone. People are really commenting on the design.

XDA Rules: http://xdaforums.com/announcement.php?a=81

10 Post Rule: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/xdas-10-post-rule/

XDA Marketplace Rules: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/market-place-rules-updated/

Sent from my Galaxy Note i717, using XDA Premium.