64G micro SD card for Galaxy Player?

Search This thread

mymo82

Apr 9, 2011
I too have installed a 64 gb micro sd card on my SGP 4.2, which I bought for around 43 € during a sale from a famous website.
The card isn't immediately recognized by the device, but after displaying an error message, I was asked to format the card by the player. Once formatted, the card is fully recognized (around 59 gb are available) and it works great, although a little slower than I expected: the trasfer rate from the internal memory to the card is about 6,5 mb/sec.

I purchased a Transcend 64GB MicroSDXC Class10 UHS-1 for my SGP 4.0 one month ago and it works like a champ. The Transcend card formatted quickly in my player and it's been really nice having a boat load of movies along with my music library all on one device. I previously trashed a Sandisk class 10 card due to the extra partition that Sandisk installs. No more Sandisk for my player.

TheKryptonite

Sep 24, 2012
Not sure what's the problem with SanDisk cards, but I'm using a Kingston SD card; it hasn't become corrupted/damaged yet. I can't say the same for my SanDisk SD card though. Hell, it got corrupted on the first day I got it, lol.

inked11

Mar 22, 2013
SanDisk 64gb sorta works... once

Looks like there is a 64G micro SD by Sandisk. Will be good for my collections of lossless music.

Many claim that it works even on old Android devices. Just wonder if any Galaxy Player owners tried this yet?

Update:

Finally got one. Similar to the experience of other users, the player will think that the SD card is corrupted when mounted for the first time. Once you format it as instructed, it will work fine.

I have attached a couple of screenshots below for those who are interested. Two of the screenshots are benchmark of 64G Sandisk (Class 6) vs 32G Lexar (Class 10).

I put a SanDisk 64gb card in my YP-G1 and another in my Tab 2 7.0 tablet, and both worked. However, according to SanDisk, the newest 64gb cards are intended to be used in ext4 format. That's why the card shows up as "corrupted" the first time you insert it in your device. You can reformat it, as has been noted... but apparently you only get one shot at that. Trying to format it a second time corrupts it for real; voice of experience here, who didn't know about this until after the fact.

After trying to reformat the tablet's card a second time, the card is now unformattable with the tablet, with Win8, or with OS X 10.8. The 64gb card in my YP-G1 is still working fine, though not as fast as it's rated; takes forever for Android's media scanner to run through it after power-up, and takes Rocket Player a lo-o-o-ng time to locate all the tracks first time the app is launched after power-up. If anything happens to this card, I won't buy another 64gb card for any of my current devices.

PytSkee

Nov 28, 2012
What Samsung says

While the GP 5 and 4 were released quite a while ago, Samsung says that external memory can be added up to 32GB. Maybe there were no bigger cards then, but I wouldn't see any problem in trying a big one if you need it.

I've had no problem with my 16GB card on a REMICS ROM.

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
After reading all this thread I still don't understand if the compatibility of this larger memory card depend on the file system or the kernel or both. Someone can explain me?
Many thanks!

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus utilizzando Tapatalk

TheKryptonite

Sep 24, 2012
After reading all this thread I still don't understand if the compatibility of this larger memory card depend on the file system or the kernel or both. Someone can explain me?
Many thanks!

It should work regardless of the system or kernel. And yes, you can use a 64GB SD Card.

mymo82

Apr 9, 2011
I put a SanDisk 64gb card in my YP-G1 and another in my Tab 2 7.0 tablet, and both worked. However, according to SanDisk, the newest 64gb cards are intended to be used in ext4 format. That's why the card shows up as "corrupted" the first time you insert it in your device. You can reformat it, as has been noted... but apparently you only get one shot at that. Trying to format it a second time corrupts it for real; voice of experience here, who didn't know about this until after the fact.

After trying to reformat the tablet's card a second time, the card is now unformattable with the tablet, with Win8, or with OS X 10.8. The 64gb card in my YP-G1 is still working fine, though not as fast as it's rated; takes forever for Android's media scanner to run through it after power-up, and takes Rocket Player a lo-o-o-ng time to locate all the tracks first time the app is launched after power-up. If anything happens to this card, I won't buy another 64gb card for any of my current devices.

I beg to differ. I formatted my Sandisk Sdxc 64 gb card at least 3 times on my GI1 and it works.

On the other hand, I feel to give the prospective purchasers a heads-up: when removing the card from the device to plug it in a card reader and viceversa, some data might get lost. These data can be found in the 'lost.dir' folder of the root directory, and they're usually your original files in disguise - that is under a different name and extention - so they can be easily restored.

As for the large amount of time required to load the media file in the library after booting, I worked around that by creating a .Nomedia file in my music folder and by letting Poweramp, which has a musch faster engine, manage my music files.

Many thanks!

The problem was with the Sandisk 64 GB micro SDXC class 10 cards. Sandisk placed an additional partition onto the card for their security software, and this partition is not removed by the formatting process inside the device. No other card manufacturer does this on the 64 GB micro SDXC card.

I sacrificed two of the 64 microSDXC (class 10) cards between my SGP 4.0 and SGT 7.0+. I was able to buy a Sandisk class 6 64 microSDXC card for my SGT 7.0+ and that card has been working for the past 18 months. I have been using Transcend 64 microSDXC class 10 cards in my SGP 4.0 and my SGP 5.0 since last May.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looks like there is a 64G micro SD by Sandisk. Will be good for my collections of lossless music.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobile-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B005V7WIA2

Many claim that it works even on old Android devices. Just wonder if any Galaxy Player owners tried this yet?

Update:

Finally got one. Similar to the experience of other users, the player will think that the SD card is corrupted when mounted for the first time. Once you format it as instructed, it will work fine.

I have attached a couple of screenshots below for those who are interested. Two of the screenshots are benchmark of 64G Sandisk (Class 6) vs 32G Lexar (Class 10).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv_56mwG0w4 his video proof that the 64 gb sandisk card works. This guy is using his 4.0