[Q] Star S4 FHD IPS

Search This thread

drugo84

May 12, 2013
Star S4 Smartphone 5.0 Inch FHD IPS Screen Android 4.2 MTK6589 Quad Core 1G 8G 12.0MP

Has anyone purchased this phone?

Can you tell me how it works?

do not confuse with the star s5 N9500

and video
youtu.be/aZeF2O2ubM8

integralac

Apr 2, 2011
Did any one noticed problem with syncing? For some reason after few hours it stop syncing Google account. From other mail accounts I am receiving e-mail but when I check account it self it is not synchronized for hours ago.

Sent from my S4 using xda premium

tpsaras

Aug 18, 2013
I actually found out that in the new rom they've fixed the lockscreen issue with missing camera app by swiping to the right.

Hey there! What do you mean by "new rom"? Are you using 2013.06.04-182644? Because there is also the S4 20130604-224540 over at needrom.

Could you please update us with which one you are using and a quick review if everything is fine etc?

Thanks! ;)

tssphysicsboi

May 7, 2011
Does need rom work for you? I keep getting 403 forbidden error. :(

I'm currently using new rom. It's a bit more speedy. Not much bugs are taken out. Still battery drain on auto brightness. Messed up screen brightness for auto brightness. Wifi a BIT better than the old rom. That's pretty much it.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Did any one noticed problem with syncing? For some reason after few hours it stop syncing Google account. From other mail accounts I am receiving e-mail but when I check account it self it is not synchronized for hours ago.

Humm my mail wasn't updating a few days ago but I reinstalled Gmail and it's working again. Weird...

tpsaras

Aug 18, 2013
Does need rom work for you? I keep getting 403 forbidden error. :(

I'm currently using new rom. It's a bit more speedy. Not much bugs are taken out. Still battery drain on auto brightness. Messed up screen brightness for auto brightness. Wifi a BIT better than the old rom. That's pretty much it.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Humm my mail wasn't updating a few days ago but I reinstalled Gmail and it's working again. Weird...

This is the only page for Star S4 in needrom - needrom.com/mobile/star-s4/ - and as I said before, there are 2 ver. of the firmware. Latest is S4 20130604-224540. Many thanks for the feedback!

tpsaras

Aug 18, 2013
Issue when charging

Hello again everyone.

Would like to report and give some feedback now that the phone has arrived. Using ROM 2013.06.04-182644 there are absolutely no problems with WiFi (although it could be better) or battery, all working well and very smooth. BUT I want to ask if anyone else has had this very strange, weird, scary issue!

When the phone is charging, when I touch the screen or the touch buttons at the bottom or just "touch" around the phone, it goes crazy! It enters applications on its own, exits them, does all sorts of random things! This is only when the phone is charging and if I touch it.

Has anyone had this issue or read somewhere others experiencing it?

Thanks!

integralac

Apr 2, 2011
Check your charger. Some voltage issue. It making crazy your touch screen. And it is more obvious when battery discharged. You can swich on touch tracing tool in developer's options to check if I'm right

integralac

Apr 2, 2011
How to improve GPS and Wi-Fi reception

Dear fellows sorry for my bad English,

I was bothered with poor GPS and Wi-Fi reception like all of you so I decided to open the phone and see where is the problem.

On the motherboard for both antennas there are contacts for ground and hot-end.

The problem is that a factory antennas are constructed as self-adhesive foil on which are printed antenna lines and they are

actually making short circuit.

It is necessary, on the bottom of plastic you removed when you opened the phone, right below original antenna to stick the some

ground surface about 10mm wide.

I used self-adhesive aluminum foil. You must do so that the factory antenna make contact with the hot-end only and not with ground

contact from the motherboard.

When you open the phone and the screen is upside down, the battery compartment is under the motherboard, and on the left you can

see the GPS contacts and on the right Wi-Fi. For GPS upper contact (further from the battery) is ground, and for Wi-Fi bottom (near

the battery).

Isolate parts of factory antenna (that one for ground contact) and tape over the aluminum foil that will have a hole at the part

where the hot-end have to touch the factory-antenna. Finally you have to tape the duct tape over the aluminum foil or isolate with

something, so when you close the phone that ground foil will not touches something inside.

For GPS you should set all A-GPS and EPO settings but I will not explain it here because you can fined it on Internet.

For more better Wi-Fi signal or let say even better data flow, especially when you are away from the router, you should attach over

the factory antenna, on the outside, L-shaped aluminum foil.

Unstable work of GPS and Wi-Fi was caused because contacts were shorted and there is no ground surface.

If someone is interested in matter I suggest to look on wiki dipole antenna.

My final results are:
- 10 sec to lock GPS signal and SNR is around 33 dB, accuracy 3m = no more problems with GPS software I had
- at point away from router where I had 0,001 Mbps I now have 30+ Mbps down/upload

Regards

kosciak

Sep 30, 2010
Hi
I have the same problem as a colleague.
I opened my phone and I have a short on pins wifi board.
What is more, the phone does not work at all my wifi or Bluetoth (not that it is attached to the system)

What can I do to make it work?

kosciak

Sep 30, 2010
Problem WIFI and GPS Fix

Hello again. I modified the wifi and gps antenna. I still do not know how to catch fixa. The wifi signal is still weak.

I made measurements of the meter. On the motherboard for wifi I have shorted pins. while I'm on pins GPS break.

Please help attach pictures modification.

Attachments

• SDC10159.JPG
    SDC10159.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 44
  • SDC10160.JPG
    SDC10160.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 49
  • SDC10161.JPG
    SDC10161.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 41

integralac

Apr 2, 2011
Hello again. I modified the wifi and gps antenna. I still do not know how to catch fixa. The wifi signal is still weak.

I made measurements of the meter. On the motherboard for wifi I have shorted pins. while I'm on pins GPS break.

Please help attach pictures modification.

In first pic there is some wires solder to MB on left side near power button? I don't know what is it?

On second pic I see that you have aluminum foil for both antennas. It is wrong. For GPS use original antenna just cut it as I posted.

For Wi-Fi you need to use original antenna, but to put from bottom side aluminum foil and to connect it only to the "-" contact on MB. You need to have hole on foil in order to "+" contact from MB can touch original antenna. After that you can add self adhesive aluminum foil on exterior side in "L" shape but not to touch shiny part around camera.

For third pic I don't have comments.

kosciak

Sep 30, 2010
Thank you for your response. the alterations do not have the original antenna :( Original antenna broke into pieces :( and what can do now ??

In the photograph one is remade by me pover button because the original tape in August broke through my inattention I had to replace it.

Last edited:

integralac

Apr 2, 2011
Thank you for your response. the alterations do not have the original antenna :( Original antenna broke into pieces :( and what can do now ??

In the photograph one is remade by me pover button because the original tape in August broke through my inattention I had to replace it.

In that case, you can only print new antennas on some adhesive foil with some liquid silver treatment. It is very delicate job. They need to be as thin as possible.

kosciak

Sep 30, 2010
Well I want to try. hope you help me

so
1 Antennas must be made ​​of silver can not be something else?
2 What shape is the original antenna for wifi ?? Please drawing if possible.

I worked out the wifi antenna and operates satisfactorily.
It is in the shape of "L" and is connected to the pin further from the battery. In addition, second foils is needed at the case from inside the L-shaped glued on an isolated and as a result WIFI works. the problem is with the GPS.

and you could connect the external GPS module by bluetootth ??
I would have preferred to work gps built into the smartphone, however, it's probably not real. read a little about this on various forums and investigation to the conclusion that something is wrong, not only with an antenna because if it was ok after taking the analogy to the wifi should work.

GPS on pins The meter indicated break I pointed to the picture contrast, below is the antenna gps ?? to which these pins are shorted.
I'm not sure how it should be but it seems to me that there

Attachments

• SDC101591.jpg
    SDC101591.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

integralac

Apr 2, 2011
Well I want to try. hope you help me

so
1 Antennas must be made ​​of silver can not be something else?
2 What shape is the original antenna for wifi ?? Please drawing if possible.

I worked out the wifi antenna and operates satisfactorily.
It is in the shape of "L" and is connected to the pin further from the battery. In addition, second foils is needed at the case from inside the L-shaped glued on an isolated and as a result WIFI works. the problem is with the GPS.

and you could connect the external GPS module by bluetootth ??
I would have preferred to work gps built into the smartphone, however, it's probably not real. read a little about this on various forums and investigation to the conclusion that something is wrong, not only with an antenna because if it was ok after taking the analogy to the wifi should work.

GPS on pins The meter indicated break I pointed to the picture contrast, below is the antenna gps ?? to which these pins are shorted.
I'm not sure how it should be but it seems to me that there

Hi again,

No, antenna is not necessary to be build from silver. I mentioned silver because you can by it in liquid shape. For example that one for repairing rear window heater. Shape you have on image I posted earlier. If you have some thin thin thin sheet metal you can do it.

For WI-FI a can't send you shape because it is under L adhesive aluminum foil.

For me built in GPS is working as well as WI-FI. Within 10m with let's say one concrete wall I have 60+ Mbps flow.

And don't measure with meter those pins you can brake something. Meter use current to measure resistance and with that current you can destroy something.

I I wrote earlier what pin is what. Read carefully.

Last edited:

kosciak

Sep 30, 2010
I fixed wifi and gps antenna with aluminum foil both wifi and gps work well.

I have a few issues:
1. In the phone I do not have administrator rights system "root" wanted me to have administrator rights.
How do I found on the internet so soft that it will be good? /download/star-s4/ of course before that without spaces needrom com

2. Second speaker on the phone quite quietly talking to me whether there is a possibility it podgłośnienia if you need to replace the speaker louder.

3. phone pretty quickly consumes battery at low battery usage I have about 1.5 days on a single charge, however, as I use it just a few hours it seems to me that phone should withstand at least one day on the battery. What can I do ??

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is quite easy, you have everything (driver, Flash tool and firmware). I'll send you a link with instructions I saved from net. It is .mht file and Opera browser know to open it.

I have everything on drop box but it will be difficult because this stupid forum rules about posting outside links.

Instructions: ###/asehw9e2mqpoz5y/ROM%20STAR%20S4_MIZ%20Z4_PULID%20S4%20_%20%5BOfficial%5D%20add%20the%2007_13_2013%20on%20Needrom.mht
    Driver:###/sl8mjqdnrrfyiec/MTK6589-Driver.rar
    Flash tool:###/c13rpgo9807kpna/SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1308.0.125.rar
    Firmware: ###/227rqt968xs7h5t/Star-S4-stoc-firmwareunroot.zip[/url]

Everywhere change ### with ht tp s: //w ww .drop box. com /s of course without spaces :)
    I'm new user so I need to have some posts to be able to post a link here. Let it be

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

On padawill forum there is a link to a new ROM. The stock firmware for S4 (unrooted) date build 2013.06.04-182644
    A better WI-FI connection,the launcher isn't freezing and works more stable and faster then in 2013.04.28-120004.