(MOD) How to install Windows Stores apps on sd card

Search This thread

painter_

Dec 10, 2006
North Eastern Ohio
To change the format of the SD card, from a administrator level dos prompt enter the command "convert d: /fs:NTFS" This will convert the file system to NTFS without wiping out your data.

C:\Users\Kevin>convert /?
Converts a FAT volume to NTFS.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
/FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume will be converted to NTFS.
/V Specifies that Convert will be run in verbose mode.
/CvtArea:filename
Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory
that will be the place holder for NTFS system files.
/NoSecurity Specifies that the security settings on the converted
files and directories allow access by all users.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
All open handles to the volume will not be valid.

C:\Users\Kevin>

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
Dell Venue 8 Pro user here running Win 8.1 to confirm that this does NOT work. 32gb class 10 card formatted to NTFS and receiving error 00xd00000bb during Windows Store App installs even after changing the directory back to stock. Not sure what the issue is but I've had to restore back to an old point. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread hoping that I can install apps to the SD. 32GB tablet is not very large when you're running full Win 8.1 :(

P3450

Apr 2, 2008
Same again with 8.1

Just a +1 to say I had the same problem with the registry change method on my Lenovo Miix 2 running full Windows 8.1 - you can follow the steps okay but then non built in apps force close from their splash screens and trying to install new apps from the store gives error code 0xd00002b8.

I didn't try the symlink method as it seems to have similar problems. It would be great if anyone could find a work around on this as with only 32gb built in vs a 64gb microSD it would be very handy to be able to install to sd. If I see any further suggestions on this thread I'll definitely give them a try.

petejfjohnson

Feb 23, 2013
i think its broken in 8.1

Im trying on the "unBranded" brand 8.1 tablet i got from best buy yesterday.
It came running 8.1 but my desktop let me do it running 8.0 by editing the regkey and changing the appx path to D...
Im getting the error though on my tablet running 8.1

fsilvestre

Aug 23, 2010
Error 0x00000db solved for me. Let me install from Store

Same steps but and important new step missed:
You must grant permisions to the new folder to:
-Administrators
- Administrator
-System
-Your user

All checked as Full Control

Enjoy!!!!!:D

On Inves Duna Tab, 64Gb NTFS and Windows 8.1

divxmaster1

Apr 16, 2009
-Administrators
- Administrator
-System
-Your user

Hi,
do you have a bit more info on the exact method you used? was it changing the registry key
or creating a symlink??
You are definitely on windows 8.1?? No one else has got this going that I can find.
Cheers
Divxmaster

Reactions: Anonimatum

Anonimatum

Jan 5, 2015
-Administrators
- Administrator
-System
-Your user

Tried this with both methods (registry and symlink) on my dell venue 8 pro with windows 8.1 but didn't work.
When I try to install new apps I get this error: 0xd00002b8

Reactions: richarddwyer10

justinjk

May 27, 2012
Tried this with both methods (registry and symlink) on my dell venue 8 pro with windows 8.1 but didn't work.
When I try to install new apps I get this error: 0xd00002b8

Same here. I've read multiple sources stating that the registry method will no longer work in 8.1, so symlink seems to be the only possibility left.

Couple of things that I haven't tried yet is setting up the sd card as a virtual hard disk and having the folder on the SD Card named the same as the original folder name (windowsapps). Doubt that it will make a difference, but I have some hope that this is possible because someone on answers.microsoft.com also claims to have got it working: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d00002b8/b0c49334-5ae8-454c-be39-c9f13e7725d0 (see replies)

edit: There is also more detailed instructions about setting the folder permissions posted by a member here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=57439348&postcount=1

Looking the instructions, I may not have done the 'replace all child permissions' option last time, so I'll have to try that.

Last edited:

Anonimatum

Jan 5, 2015
Same here. I've read multiple sources stating that the registry method will no longer work in 8.1, so symlink seems to be the only possibility left.

Couple of things that I haven't tried yet is setting up the sd card as a virtual hard disk and having the folder on the SD Card named the same as the original folder name (windowsapps). Doubt that it will make a difference, but I have some hope that this is possible because someone on answers.microsoft.com also claims to have got it working: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d00002b8/b0c49334-5ae8-454c-be39-c9f13e7725d0 (see replies)

edit: There is also more detailed instructions about setting the folder permissions posted by a member here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=57439348&postcount=1

Looking the instructions, I may not have done the 'replace all child permissions' option last time, so I'll have to try that.

Tried everything that you suggested, but still no luck. When I try to open any app it crashes and if I try to install new apps I get the error 0xd00002b8

microb77

Jan 15, 2015
Got it to work

Tried everything that you suggested, but still no luck. When I try to open any app it crashes and if I try to install new apps I get the error 0xd00002b8

I followed only the symlink tutorial, rebooted a couple of time, and was getting the 0xd00002b8 error.

I finally got it to "somewhat" work. My symlink ended on d:\Users\WindowsAppx

What I did AFTER is I went on THAT folder's property, and added "Administrators, ALL PACKAGE INSTALLER, myself and NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" with full control in advanced security.

Here's the thing. On the link (c:\Program Files\WindowsApps), these accounts all have Full Control. On the physical folder, I only had Everyone full access... Obviously, everyone is NOT everyone.

Now, weather works, twitter, and a couple more... But the camera crashes, and since the SD card is slow, well, apps are slower now in general. But... It works. Kinda.

ayush404

Jul 31, 2015
hello sir
it is ayush banerjee i am using windows 8.1&64 gb memory card while changing windows app to sd card
my apps get download while installing it says purchase failed error.please sir fix my problem :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Copro

Jul 28, 2009
Succeeded with an Acer Switch tablet running Windows 8.1
At the moment the Store seems to be successfully located on D:\WindowsApps using the registry method. I have granted access to System, TrustedInstaller "NT System\TrustedInstaller", Administrators and Administrator FULL ACCESS on the new folder. The SD Card on D is formatted with NTFS and the files are correctly downloaded. Although now I get the 0xd00000bb Errror when trying to install any app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey guys and gals,

We all know that the Surface has limited storage. I was messing around and found a quick change to a registry key that lets you change where windows store apps are stored when installed. Tested and working on my Surface 32gb. see below for the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx

change the key labeled PackageRoot to whatever directory you want, and all new apps will install in that directory.

Note: this does require that you change owner and permissions on the Appx registry folder so that you can edit the key. I have tested this will no ill effects.

You can also change the app repository to another directory by changing the PackageRepository key.

Test on a class 10 32gb card. Hope this helps!
    Ahh, good find. I just used a symbolic link (which has the advantage of moving existing apps without breaking anything) but your approach is probably easier on clean installs.
    I can confirm that you need to have the microsd formatted to NTFS. It works fine using this method. The exFAT will not work. This was tested on the 64 GB card.
    Is NTFS required for this? I wanted to use exfat for my 64gb card.
    Noted, will need to add some iffy logic to script.

IF Get-WmiObject -class Win32_Volume | Select-Object FileSystem -eq NTFS then "Install to SD" else "Fomat SD NTFS"
    was wondering if someone can help me, I applied the hack and it works perfect EXCEPT 1 bloody app that is giving me problems! I can't uninstall/install/update "sports" app...it's the only app giving me trouble, I can't find it anywhere on my tablet but it is still marked as INSTALLED in the store! is there any way of resetting or deleting it from the app store? maybe perhaps in the registration some where?

Not sure if I can help. Never tried this trick. But did you try to clear the app in "Your Apps" in the store? While in the Store, right click and go to Your Apps, then chose the device for which you have the problem app, e.g. Apps installed on Surface. If you right click on the app in question you should see a Clear and possibly an Install button at the bottom left (RT 8.1 here). I would try clear and install, then uninstall.
    Again, just a wild guess and might not help at all.

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

Does anyone know if I update to 8.1 can this mod be reapplied? Thanks

seeing that the key in the registry is the same as for 8.0 I would believe that this should still work the same way. MS in fact now allows you to easily use a different target for file libraries such as Pictures, Music etc to store your files onto the sdcard.

ps. I am sure once a lot of more people get their system upgraded to 8.1 in October, you will get a quicker response to your questions.
    Please help me figure out how to do this. I really seem to be lost on how to be able to change the permissions and ownership of the key. I always get a message about not being able to change the settings.
    Right click on the key and choose permission...I assume you are familiar with how security setting in windows works. If you are not, reply here and I can guide you step by step.

Note: you have to change the owner of the key from TrustedInstaller to Administrators first, only then can you give Administrators full control over the key.

regeditz.png