Chromecast Privacy

Search This thread

albert_htc

Apr 5, 2010
Hi

I'm looking to set up multiple chromecasts around the office.
I'd like to know if users on the network can detect what is being cast.

For example.. I'm using one to show a financial portfolio, I don't want users on the network to be able to detect or see this without permission... The only people who should see it are the users in the room the cast is being presented to.

I don't want others to see the live presentation or the file name being cast.. Also I don't want them to be able take over the chromecast if its in use..

Can anyone advise on this.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) KitKat 4.4.2

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010

For example.. I'm using one to show a financial portfolio, I don't want users on the network to be able to detect or see this without permission... The only people who should see it are the users in the room the cast is being presented to.

I don't want others to see the live presentation or the file name being cast.. Also I don't want them to be able take over the chromecast if its in use..
Yes, if I'm casting a YouTube video and my wife connects to the same Chromecast, she'll see exactly what I'm watching as well as the playback position.

With the right application you can probably get information about what's being cast regardless of what application is casting.

Chromecast, is a consumer device designed for ease-of-use on a home network. It's very loose on the privacy, even considering the market, IMO.

As @rbeavers suggested, you can control access by putting Chromecast on separate networks, whether that's via separate APs or via VLANs, it depends on how your network is configured. If you go the VLAN route, make sure to enable Multicast support on the VLAN but not multicast routing.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Hi

Can anyone advise on this.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) KitKat 4.4.2

Here is a good rule to go by.....
If Google's Name is on the device your Privacy is pretty much NIL! LOL

As @bhiga said, Anyone can connect to the CCast and get a report of what it is playing and where it is at in the playback.
So no Bachelor party tapes via CCast when the Wife is home! LOL