Mostly working phone mirroring through MirrorLink

Search This thread

liinko

Jan 3, 2009
This has not really been tested much, so I'm posting here so people can try it out with different vehicles, to see the extent to which this works.

1. Make sure you have a MirrorLink enabled phone & car
  2. Download LG MirrorDrive from the PlayStore
  3. Open LG MirrorDrive from the cars head unit (sometimes it takes several tries before it tries to open)
Note: Because this relies on the LG MirrorDrive being incompatible with the phone, this probably won't work with LG phones.

What this does:
Because the application is meant to work with only LG phones, when you attempt to open it with a non-LG phone, it will automatically close and give you a toast message saying "LG MirrorDrive only works with LG phones that support MirrorLink." This brings you to the last screen you had open on your phone before you connected it to your car, and you now have the phone fully mirrored on to the screen, with touch control.
This means you can use Google Maps, Waze, or whatever your favorite maps app is, without having to pay $80+ for a MirrorLink GPS navigation app.

The reason I say it's mostly working, is because once your phone is mirrored, when you open any app it kicks you out of the mirrored screen, and you have to go back and click on LG MirrorDrive again to re-enable mirroring. Which is a minor inconvenience compared to having google maps working IMHO.

I personally have a 2015 Honda Civic Si and a Galaxy Note5 (not rooted), but others have confirmed it working with other Honda cars with similar head units, and other Samsung phones.

Because of how this works, I'm assuming it works with any head unit that has MirrorLink and any phone that is not an LG and has MirrorLink 1.1

Some pics of it working on my head unit:

LG Toast Message
vgV7Hgvm.jpg

Maps w/navigation
lvdNONZm.jpg

Spotify
pTB3ZiJm.jpg

Main Screen w/ message
FZfZVVLm.jpg

I'm also using Nova Launcher, which allows the home screen to rotate into landscape.

Don't forget to post your results if you try it out, whether it works or it doesn't.

HonoraryLurker

Nov 19, 2016
Thanks Buddy! Works with my S7 Edge and 2015 Honda Civic.

Now just wondering what would be the best app to open using this technique in order to keep it from crashing. I tried Android Auto, which allows you to play music while using navigation apps.

slybarman

Dec 24, 2010
I gave this a try. As you said it kinda works, but i had to relaunch the LG app on the HU each time i changed apps on my phone and the LG app launched on the HU about one out of every three tries. I messed with it for a couple days, but decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Cool find though.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

shaggyxda

Apr 29, 2009
That is correct. HTC and Sony phones doesn't work when you start moving the car. VAG cars need (only for Sony and HTC) a VIM activation. Watch this YT Video https://goo.gl/gvgF5X.
But this is for Samsung. It works while driving (Honda, Suzuki, Peugeot, Toyota, Volkswagen ...) . How to YT video https://goo.gl/Xc3fTP

Last edited:

Melodylion

Oct 11, 2009
Just my 5 cents:
I think crash behavior is changing with different keyboards. I assume the apps crash because of the keyboard... Maybe it is necessary to find a good keyboard.

S7 fully updated..

Nims

Jan 14, 2009
Bangalore
hi ,I got solution you need to uninstall mirrorlink updates :D

Thanks @dyadya n1! I also had to uninstall the mirror-link update on my Galaxy S7 for this to work.

For others, here is how you uninstall the mirror-link update:
Goto Settings->Apps-> Select "Show System Apps" from the menu at the top -> Select Samsung Mirrorlink 1.1 -> Select the the "Uninstall Updates" option from the menu at the top.

Alferboy

Jul 17, 2009
I have an S8plus and it won't work :(
No MirrorLink system app.
I have a "Car Mode Stub" v 1.1.26. Is that it? It's not downgradeable.
In fact, the one on my A3(2016), which works with LG MirrorDrive, is CarmodeStub 1.1.09

I think that, other than the Mirrorlink protocol, is the only place where the avaliable applications list can be changed.

For the same installed application set, the S8+ only shows "Car Mode" and the A3 (2016) shows "LG MirrorDrive" + "Seat AppDrive" + etc.. (the Mirrordrive apps I installed on both phones),.

Reactions: truewego

..::Jacob::..

May 27, 2017
Groningen
www.irseca.net
I have an S8 and it does have Samsung Mirrorlink app, scrol down further and look for Samsung mirrorlink .
But i cannot downgrade it.
I can connect but cannot activate Lg mirrordrive, it appears but cannot be opened.
.I have no plan Sh....

PeeHoo

Oct 29, 2007
Espoo
I totally agree that I also trying to find full mirroring solution with my S8+ & skoda superb (2017).

fadinizjr

Aug 1, 2017
So, I currently own a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge running 6.0.6.0.1 stock non root and a 2017 Peugeot 208 SMEG + IV2 mirrorlink capable unit.
I recently upgraded my phone to 7.0 and Mirrordrive stopped working. All I got was a black screen or a message telling me that app is not supported.
Finally I decided and rolled back to 6.01 and everything went back working again.
So, my question is: is this expected? Was LG Mirrordrive bug fixed on android 7?

AmaSin

Aug 6, 2017
Thanks @dyadya n1! I also had to uninstall the mirror-link update on my Galaxy S7 for this to work.

For others, here is how you uninstall the mirror-link update:
Goto Settings->Apps-> Select "Show System Apps" from the menu at the top -> Select Samsung Mirrorlink 1.1 -> Select the the "Uninstall Updates" option from the menu at the top.
Will this make the LG MirrorDrive app stop crashing? Will mirrorlink still work after I uninstall the updates?

mathlau

Nov 21, 2013
Hi.
Just read your post and I wanted to thank you.
Thanks to the LG mirrordrive I am able to stream the screen of my galaxy s6 g920f to my Skoda Octavia 3 with Columbus 2 system.

Alferboy

Jul 17, 2009
Connected my Note8 to my Seat Leon.
For seconds all 3 mirrorlink apps showed up as the available mirrorlink apps.
Then they all disappeared after a few secodns and the only available app was Carmode (I guess the stub).
Never again the the other apps (LG Mirrordrive, SEAT App, RockScout) showed up. Now they only "live" inside the CarMode app. Of course, the LG MirrorDrive trick does not work from within the CarMode app.

Seems Android 7.0 and above do some filtering allowing only CarModeStub or Carmode.
And the stub (probably doing the filtering) only allows CarMode to run ("Install carmode shows up on the dashboard").

My Samsung A3 with android 6 works perfectly with LG Mirrordrive crashing into to the screen and allowing other apps to run piggybacking oh the screen mirroring.
As soon as it upgraded to android 7 it stopped working, showing the same behaviour as the Note8.
Reverting to android 6 it went back to "normal".

Very very annoying. Why can't all applications be run for the passenger enjoyment?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cootje_NL

Nees3

Dec 17, 2012
I'm on my Galaxy S6 7.0 and found a way to make it work. With messing around, after finding these topics about LG MirrorDrive and not working... I still tried. And I got it to work once and never again after... Till today.

Was messing around again and it worked and now I recalled what I just did and tried it again, but didn't work. So I kept trying, different tests and suddenly worked again, and restarte again and now I can get it to work after about a minute or so. It seems to be timing sensitive, but in short it goes like this:

Connect phone, start RockScout, press backbutton in screen, Start LG app, (it will say Lauching app or so, doing this out of my head) while it says that, backout quick, Click on the icon for running appsand Close RockScout, quickly go back and press 1:1 button? If lucky you will see "this app cannot be started now" (or something like that) press back again, press 1:1 again and there was my phone! :)

It is tricky, but Im getting better at it :)

If someone wants a video if they don't succeed and want proof to keep you going, I'll see I can make one .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This has not really been tested much, so I'm posting here so people can try it out with different vehicles, to see the extent to which this works.

1. Make sure you have a MirrorLink enabled phone & car
    2. Download LG MirrorDrive from the PlayStore
    3. Open LG MirrorDrive from the cars head unit (sometimes it takes several tries before it tries to open)
    Note: Because this relies on the LG MirrorDrive being incompatible with the phone, this probably won't work with LG phones.

What this does:
    Because the application is meant to work with only LG phones, when you attempt to open it with a non-LG phone, it will automatically close and give you a toast message saying "LG MirrorDrive only works with LG phones that support MirrorLink." This brings you to the last screen you had open on your phone before you connected it to your car, and you now have the phone fully mirrored on to the screen, with touch control.
    This means you can use Google Maps, Waze, or whatever your favorite maps app is, without having to pay $80+ for a MirrorLink GPS navigation app.

The reason I say it's mostly working, is because once your phone is mirrored, when you open any app it kicks you out of the mirrored screen, and you have to go back and click on LG MirrorDrive again to re-enable mirroring. Which is a minor inconvenience compared to having google maps working IMHO.

I personally have a 2015 Honda Civic Si and a Galaxy Note5 (not rooted), but others have confirmed it working with other Honda cars with similar head units, and other Samsung phones.

Because of how this works, I'm assuming it works with any head unit that has MirrorLink and any phone that is not an LG and has MirrorLink 1.1

Some pics of it working on my head unit:

LG Toast Message
    vgV7Hgvm.jpg

Maps w/navigation
    lvdNONZm.jpg

Spotify
    pTB3ZiJm.jpg

Main Screen w/ message
    FZfZVVLm.jpg

I'm also using Nova Launcher, which allows the home screen to rotate into landscape.

Don't forget to post your results if you try it out, whether it works or it doesn't.
    ... I'm assuming it works with any head unit that has MirrorLink and any phone that is not an LG and has MirrorLink 1.1...

Yes, I have the same solution for Volkswagen App-Connect, Seat Full Link and Skoda SmartLink

Optional you can disable the message
    settings-app-notifications.png
    hi ,I got solution you need to uninstall mirrorlink updates :D
    I have an S8plus and it won't work :(
    No MirrorLink system app.
    I have a "Car Mode Stub" v 1.1.26. Is that it? It's not downgradeable.
    In fact, the one on my A3(2016), which works with LG MirrorDrive, is CarmodeStub 1.1.09

I think that, other than the Mirrorlink protocol, is the only place where the avaliable applications list can be changed.

For the same installed application set, the S8+ only shows "Car Mode" and the A3 (2016) shows "LG MirrorDrive" + "Seat AppDrive" + etc.. (the Mirrordrive apps I installed on both phones),.
    thats very good possible.
    For me it also did not work, s8 with anxroid 7.