[Solved] Possibly bricked kindle; Can't boot into recovery, pc can't detect

Search This thread

Evar678

Aug 14, 2012
Hey, so I recently decided to flash a new rom. So, i booted into recovery, wiped system / davlik / cache, and flashed a new rom. Pretty standard stuff.

However, I noticed that for some reason or another it failed to flash (code 7 or something; it was one of the nightly roms for otter)

So I decided to look around and I found this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2671619

I followed instructions; Flashed the bootloader, and rebooted. However, I noticed that the kindle didn't boot back into recovery (despite me selecting it.), or, for that matter, turn back on automatically at all

No problem, right? I power on my kindle and the power menu thingy shows up at the bottom. I notice the interface is a lot more simplistic; I assumed simply because I didn't have a rom. I scroll down to recovery and the kindle powers off. That's it. I wait for it to power back on and happily boot into recovery, but it turns out it simply powered off. I power back on and retry, same result.

I then turn to kindle fire utility to hopefully help me out; however, my pc can't detect my kindle now, and the drivers won't install.

So I'm stumped. Can anybody here please help me with this issue? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Ixthusdan

May 14, 2012
Mishawaka, IN
Be sure that your kindle is charged.

I should read more. You flashed the boot loader. Did you flash recovery? Did you have twrp before? Which version? Was ADB working correctly? Are you in the correct directory on your PC?

Last edited:

Evar678

Aug 14, 2012
Be sure that your kindle is charged.

I should read more. You flashed the boot loader. Did you flash recovery? Did you have twrp before? Which version? Was ADB working correctly? Are you in the correct directory on your PC?

Kindle is in fact charged. I had twrp before; that's how I flashed boot loader. I'm not sure what version of twrp it was. I simply can't get my pc to detect the kindle to use ADB, it keeps saying that the device is unrecognized / has malfunctioned or similar.

I do believe that if i can get ADB working then it should be fixable.

The bootmenu options are the same ROM or not.
Try refashing twrp in bootloader with adb

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Also helps if you give file names.

I've never had an 'advanced' menu in my boot menu before. Usually it's similar to this: http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/hVyXHCqbanI/maxresdefault.jpg but with a 'press power for boot options' at the bottom (or similar)
(not my image)

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
you flashed a new bootloader like otterx-u-boot_v2.05.zip,
2014-06-08_12-01-42_832_zps996eb216.jpg

attachment.php

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

which is fine, what version of twrp do you have? original file name?

Evar678

Aug 14, 2012
you flashed a new bootloader like otterx-u-boot_v2.05.zip,
[IMG ]http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh500/sd_shadow/2014-06-08_12-01-42_832_zps996eb216.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG ]http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2719124&d=1398933912[/IMG]

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

which is fine, what version of twrp do you have? original file name?

Sorry for neglecting to reply sooner; Had some business to attend to.

I'm not sure what version I have, nor the original file name. This kindle was rooted many months ago.

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012

Evar678

Aug 14, 2012
So your saying you have a kindle fire 2? if so its very bricked maybe permanent, because anything here is only for the first gen. Anything related to kindle fire 2 can be found here http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hd/fire-2-development.

Um, no. I have an original first gen kindle fire SD. I'm not sure where you got that idea from.

I was installing the OtterX rom when this happened. (Found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2671619 )

He was asking for my version of TWRP, to which I replied that I'm not sure.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Sorry for neglecting to reply sooner; Had some business to attend to.

I'm not sure what version I have, nor the original file name. This kindle was rooted many months ago.
TWRP version is listed in TWRP top of screen, it will not say for Kindle or OtterX, but there are only a couple OtterX TWRP versions

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Are you sure windows is not detecting, and it's simply not list as you expect?
could be in media devices or several other places
are you installed SDK or just using adb/fastboot.exe files by themselves?

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

have you watched my [Video] OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader [ROM 2014-05-08]?

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
TWRP version is listed in TWRP top of screen, it will not say for Kindle or OtterX, but there are only a couple OtterX TWRP versions

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Are you sure windows is not detecting, and it's simply not list as you expect?
could be in media devices or several other places
are you installed SDK or just using adb/fastboot.exe files by themselves?

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

have you watched my [Video] OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader [ROM 2014-05-08]?
You should add some audio to your video;)

Evar678

Aug 14, 2012
It seems that now my pc can detect the device, but reports that it requires troubleshooting. When I try troubleshooting, it states that the drivers aren't installed and it can't find them when I try to install via the troubleshooter.

Can somebody link me to the correct drivers that I need? I'm running windows 8

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
It seems that now my pc can detect the device, but reports that it requires troubleshooting. When I try troubleshooting, it states that the drivers aren't installed and it can't find them when I try to install via the troubleshooter.

Can somebody link me to the correct drivers that I need? I'm running windows 8
[HOW-TO] Amazon Kindle Fire Signed Driver for WinXP/Vista/7/8/8.1

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

or Amazon Kindle USB Drivers Windows 8 link dead

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
used adb before?
how is kindle listed in device manager
best to not edit posts, because I don't get notified of edited posts.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

like this

Evar678

Aug 14, 2012
used adb before?
how is kindle listed in device manager
best to not edit posts, because I don't get notified of edited posts.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

like this

e3b815529c.png

935dee5cbf.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same result as before
    try
    1. Open the charm bar and go into Settings and at the bottom click on Change PC Settings.

2. Go to the General tab and at the very bottom click on ‘Restart now’ under the Advanced startup.

3. Choose the Troubleshoot option followed by Advanced options.

4. Choose Startup settings then on next screen click on ‘restart’.

Windows 8 will now reboot and you can go ahead and install the Kindle ADB drivers.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

also see [Q] KFU Windows 8 Driver Problem