Cases / Shells - what're you getting / reviews:

Search This thread

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Ultimately I settled on the trident case, pictures in this post. Thanks to gtny930 for finding it for us.

There are some other good case recommendations scattered through the thread, as I get the time I will source them up here for easier reference.

--------

Hey all, i've been searching amazon off and on for cases for our wonderful device, and finally pulled the trigger on one:

Link here

Says it's by HTC, and I ordered from BlueMall, at $0.32 I couldn't not get it...

Rubberized case, two pieces to fit the slide function, looks like a winner.

I doubt it'll be as good as an otterbox as far as protection, but a buddy of mine has an otterbox for his Inspire 4G - and suffers from serious overheating problems. Since our phone already suffers from that with the stock battery i'm gonna pass otterbox by on this phone. (Anker 1900 battery solved overheating problems for me)

Anyways, at less then $3.50 shipped, seemed like a fantastic deal.

Meantime, I have a screen protector and bodyglove on it now, which seems to be a good temporary fix until some proper protection was available. Love the glove, but to me it's only a temporary solution.

What're the rest of you doing for a case or protection for your phone? I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited:

siani_8

Dec 13, 2009
Bristol, PA
ArmorSuit and HTC Messenger

I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-MilitaryShield-Protector-T-Mobile-REPLACEMENTS/dp/B0058XMYDU/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1314661800&sr=1-3

I posted "customer pics" of what is looks like on my phone too at Amazon.

I'm coming from the G1 and was used to the G1 sleeve so I also bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Messenger-Pouch-HD2/dp/B003DZ13OG/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1314661896&sr=1-1

It's a nice fit and doesn't stick out the top.

As a side note.. I also bought the case you posted. I like it but it won't fit over the ArmorSuit and I really like how the suit looks and feels on the MT4GS. The phone with suit fits well in the pouch...good combo in my opinion.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
Found this on Ebay. Still waiting for it (and MT4GS) to come. =[

I'm not allowed to post links yet so just put a dot in between. :)

http://www ebay.com/itm/HTC-MYTOUCH-4G-SLIDE-Hard-Cover-Case-SUMMER-FLOWER-/220839183408?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item336b0a8430#ht_2773wt_673

Lily.

Last edited:

hedgieluvr

Sep 5, 2011
St. Paul
MT4GS Cases / Shells

The rubberized hard Body Glove shells offered by T-Mobile (and sold on Amazon, eBay, etc...) are bulky and are missing holes for the microphone above the camera lens. I ended up buying the full body Invisible Shield and it looks great. The only problem is that they didn't include a piece for the bottom front of the phone (under the buttons and around the touchpad). I can put a hard case over the shield if I want, for extra protection or to just change up the look.

SolemnWishing

Feb 26, 2009
Oregon
I have the solid black case. Just some things to note. First, the back piece is very tight, and I don't think it will ever fall off. However, when removing and replacing the cover, the clips can easily scratch your phone. Second, one or two clips may not actually "clip" to the phone, but rather just get stuck near the top so it still holds from pressure. This really isn't noticeable, but it leaves indents from the pressure on the phone's case. In addition, the clips scrape up against the backside of the screen when sliding up the phone, and over time, start leaving a very noticeable mark. I corrected this with a just a strip of tape over where it was scraping.

The protector for the sliding part of the phone was a bit of an issue. It clips very tightly to the phone, but the clips scrape a lot against the edges of the phone next to the keyboard. In addition to making it a little more difficult to slide the phone, it leads to wear overtime (noticeable wear actually started in less than a few hours of normal use for me). I corrected this by actually cutting off the clips, and using double sided adhesive to stick that part of the case on. It doesn't scrape anymore, but at the same time, it just doesn't look good as the case doesn't properly hold together.

I don't really see how much of this can be fully fixed. I used to own a G1, and I didn't notice the issue of cases scratching the phone until it was too late, but I was able to notice it on my MyTouch. I'm hesitant to go for the BodyGuardz. I had one on my G1, and though it was nearly invisible protection, and protected 95% of the phone, I ended up dropping my phone and it landed on a sharp rock on part of the 5% that happened to not be covered (which ironically actually are the corners of the phone, where it is very likely to land on).

ekoee

Aug 22, 2011
I'm actually a fan of the body glove case. I'm just waiting for something with more clearance because of the anker battery. I've heard goods things about the otterbox, but it is kinda bulky.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
I have the solid black case. Just some things to note. First, the back piece is very tight, and I don't think it will ever fall off. However, when removing and replacing the cover, the clips can easily scratch your phone. Second, one or two clips may not actually "clip" to the phone, but rather just get stuck near the top so it still holds from pressure. This really isn't noticeable, but it leaves indents from the pressure on the phone's case. In addition, the clips scrape up against the backside of the screen when sliding up the phone, and over time, start leaving a very noticeable mark. I corrected this with a just a strip of tape over where it was scraping.

The protector for the sliding part of the phone was a bit of an issue. It clips very tightly to the phone, but the clips scrape a lot against the edges of the phone next to the keyboard. In addition to making it a little more difficult to slide the phone, it leads to wear overtime (noticeable wear actually started in less than a few hours of normal use for me). I corrected this by actually cutting off the clips, and using double sided adhesive to stick that part of the case on. It doesn't scrape anymore, but at the same time, it just doesn't look good as the case doesn't properly hold together.

I don't really see how much of this can be fully fixed. I used to own a G1, and I didn't notice the issue of cases scratching the phone until it was too late, but I was able to notice it on my MyTouch. I'm hesitant to go for the BodyGuardz. I had one on my G1, and though it was nearly invisible protection, and protected 95% of the phone, I ended up dropping my phone and it landed on a sharp rock on part of the 5% that happened to not be covered (which ironically actually are the corners of the phone, where it is very likely to land on).

I was going to edit in my response about the case I got in the first post - but after this one I quoted I need say not much more.

I really want to like the case, it feels nice and looks good on the phone...but it makes it too much of a pain in the ... to get the back of the case off.

I didn't realize how often I pop the back of the phone open to swap out memory cards until I put the case on.

It lasted on my phone for about 3 hours before I took it off...and it scratched one corner of my phone when I did it. Scratch isn't bad, and it'll probably buff out over time, but it's the first damage the phone has suffered - ironically from the thing that was supposed to prevent this.

If you are never going to pop open the back of the phone to get to the memory card, and you don't mind the backside of your screen-half of the phone getting scratched up when you slide it open - then this is a pretty decent case.

I think the scratching the back of the screen part can be solved by using a knife to cut a sliver off the part that sticks op, then maybe using a small piece of electrical tape to cover that clip.

I like it, I want to like it, but I can't use it - I take the phone apart too damn much for a case like this to be practical.

I'm on the lookout for a gel-type case now. Think that'll be the perfect solution. If anyone finds one, please mention it here.

AZScrewloose

Sep 19, 2007
I got the black cheap case today. After reading the reviews I knew better than to just throw it on there. So I took a small metal file that I have, and proceeded to shave each clip down just a little. After a few trials I got the clips shaved down enough that they all fit and are not pressing against the bottom of the screen hard enough to scratch it.

The coating on this case was not really rubber. Its more of a dusted flat black. It's not slick to the touch, but it doesnt grip like the rubber of the phone.

The phone still fits into the generic style T-mobile mount. But its not as secure as without. I can turn it upside down and give it a light shake without coming loose. So hopefully it will be fine.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
I got my psychedelic cover and I'm not very impressed with it. It makes the phone very bulky and awkward to hold (maybe because of my small girly hands -_-).

I find taking the back cover off particularly stressful because I'm scared I'd rip the screen off the keyboard.

Protection wise I haven't dropped my phone yet to see what kind it would provide but I'm guessing it wouldn't fall off the phone if dropped.

Haven't seen any dents or scratches caused by it.

I think I'd prefer it if it had a more rubbery feel as the texture is kind of smooth and slippery.

Overall, I'm satisfied with it but I wish I could figure out a way to take off the cover without the fear of destroying it. Haha.

Lily.

ssb33

Apr 21, 2011
@siani_8

I got this: ....
As a side note.. I also bought the case you posted. I like it but it won't fit over the ArmorSuit and I really like how the suit looks and feels on the MT4GS. The phone with suit fits well in the pouch...good combo in my opinion.

Quick question - in the pictures you uploaded to Amazon the phone back and sides seem to have a checker pattern. Is that pattern due to the protector?

_atlien_

May 23, 2010
ATL shawty!
The otterbox exists for this phone? Or you speaking generally about the otterbox product line?

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using xda premium

siani_8

Dec 13, 2009
Bristol, PA
@siani_8

I got this: ....

Quick question - in the pictures you uploaded to Amazon the phone back and sides seem to have a checker pattern. Is that pattern due to the protector?

Yes, it's a woven "carbon fiber" pattern. I took the pictures at angles where the light shows it more clearly. I think it looks nice and provides a "non-slip" surface as well without adding any bulk to the phone when you want to use it, which I personally prefer.

micahman

Sep 1, 2011
I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit-MilitaryShield-Protector-T-Mobile-REPLACEMENTS/dp/B0058XMYDU/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1314661800&sr=1-3

I posted "customer pics" of what is looks like on my phone too at Amazon.

I'm coming from the G1 and was used to the G1 sleeve so I also bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Messenger-Pouch-HD2/dp/B003DZ13OG/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1314661896&sr=1-1

It's a nice fit and doesn't stick out the top.

Thanks for linking this and posting the pics on Amazon., I'm going to order one today.

ssb33

Apr 21, 2011
Thanks. I ordered one and installed it yesterday. The front and back went on great. I had more trouble with the sides but that is because I am not the most deft person around. There are a lot long thin pieces but MT4GS has a lot of moving parts. The phone looks great from the front. But the back has a bubble or two - again my clumsiness.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
I wonder how long Otterbox will ignore this phone? Annoying....

Meanwhile, this HTC shell is gettin it done. Only complaint is that its not Otterbox.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H98VI2

That's about the same thing I got that I posted about before - just mine is in black.

I know I said a few posts back that I wasn't going to use it, but I had to do something to try to keep it safe.

I've been using it for a few days now, and while I have my gripes, I suppose it's okay.

I got tired of not being able to put it down anywhere, for fear of scratching the camera lens. This case sits further down then the lens, so it isn't the thing the weight of the phone rests on.

Before, i'd have to find something soft to put it down on everywhere I went, which was annoying. I wouldn't put it in my pocket, because they are always full of dust and whatnot - that little grainy stuff gets into the phone and I didn't want that.

Now, with the case on, it doesn't fit in my belt holster anymore - so I have to put it in my pocket or carry it. Desperately seeking another solution but coming up short.

What i'm thinking about doing is drilling some holes in the back of the case, and attaching a belt clip to the hard case shell itself.

So now i'm looking for either a belt holster or a clip I can attach to the hard case itself. Whatever ends up happening, i'll get some pictures and put 'em up here.

What I really, really, really, really want is a soft-rubber case, like a gel case of some sort that can absorb shock - not some hard plastic thing.

MethoteK

Aug 13, 2011
DFW, Texas
I wonder how long Otterbox will ignore this phone? Annoying....

Meanwhile, this HTC shell is gettin it done. Only complaint is that its not Otterbox.

Can you 2 that got this case tell me if it fits OK? I hate cases that feel like they are going to fall off after they are on...does this one do that? Specifically when you slide the keyboard up with your thumbs does the front part of the case feel like it would fall off because of your thumb pressure?

Just wanted to be sure it was somewhat well constructed...the $5 price tag just has me concerned.

_atlien_

May 23, 2010
ATL shawty!
Can you 2 that got this case tell me if it fits OK? I hate cases that feel like they are going to fall off after they are on...does this one do that? Specifically when you slide the keyboard up with your thumbs does the front part of the case feel like it would fall off because of your thumb pressure?

Just wanted to be sure it was somewhat well constructed...the $5 price tag just has me concerned.

No, it's fine. I've dropped the phone twice and the case hasn't come off. And it certainly isn't about to come off from handling/usage of the phone. It fits snug. Supposedly its made by HTC, if that means anything. The case does it's job without problems.

Just waitin for Otter.....

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011

No, it's fine. I've dropped the phone twice and the case hasn't come off. And it certainly isn't about to come off from handling/usage of the phone. It fits snug. Supposedly its made by HTC, if that means anything. The case does it's job without problems.

Just waitin for Otter.....

It fits snug, coming off accidentally isn't a problem. Both the top piece and the bottom piece are secure, normal - or even some exaggerated abnormal - use won't knock it off.

The longer I use the case the more it grows on me, I really like the silky feel of it. There have been a few situations already where having a case protected the phone - I haven't dropped it and hope I never do, but since it's becoming a portable video game system/controller amongst other things it can't be without one.

I suppose you could do far worse then this case, but i'd trade it for a gel-type rubber case in a heartbeat. Hard cases don't protect from shock damage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay - i'm excited!

Just got home a little bit ago, and though I have to run right back out, I stole some time to play with my new case (at the expense of dinner...) because it finally came in today.

First impressions: Packaging is attractive, and once open it comes with screen protector, screen-cleaning cloth, a 4-pole extension piece for the headphones jack and the case (and some very short paperwork).

The case is 3 parts, as listed above, outer for the top, inner soft rubber for the bottom, and outer not-as-soft rubber for the bottom.

Compared to the hard-shell case I have, it's much more bouncy, definitely can't classify the trident as a hard case compared to that - but it's not very flexible, like a gel-type case would be.

Since I can't bend the outer-case very far (and we're talking small distance here) without being pretty postive it'll break, I suppose it has to be considered a hard case after all. Sorry if this seems like a mixed opinion here, it's definitely not a gel-type case.

The color is nice, darn close to my favorite color of green - and green is my favorite color.

I like the fact that the part that covers the speaker (where you would listen to a phone call from) is a shield, preventing stuff from getting in the speaker. Ditto for the bottom half over the two speakers on the bottom of the phone.

The power port for usb is still uncovered...as is the headphones jack. So we've almost got a winner here, I would have liked for something covering both of those ports. I have a piece that fits in the headphones jack, which you can see in one of my pictures below (came on a stylus - check them out on amazon and you'll find one)...but I still have no solution for covering the open usb jack.

I have no idea why there are two tiny cutouts on the upper piece right above where the volume buttons are...this perplexes me. ( edit again - figured it out. When you hit caps or alt on the keyboard, it leaves space to show the light that lights up when the keyboard is slid out.)

The power button, volume buttons, and camera button are covered with the bottom rubber insert piece, and they all press fine and work well. No issues with the way they are covered.

And of course...it doesn't fit in the old pouch I had for it (was for the flip camcorder) so I got a new one, it's a kodak. Wanted to move to something a little bigger so I didn't have to take a micro-camera case around with me for my cables and memory cards anymore. The kodak case still fits in my pocket, so win all around.

In closing:

I love the trident case, if it had something to cover the usb port i'd love it even more. If by some misfortune the phone gets dropped or banged, it won't take the same amount of jarring abuse, and the shock will be much, much more distributed and absorbed by the case.

I didn't use the screen protector it came with, the one I already have on it is a privacy filter which I much prefer.

ETA:

The first picture shows the trident case next to the old hard-shell case, with the phone above and a pen in-between for size guage.

Also - fits in the t-mobile universal car cradle that I have, and doesn't fall out - as the prior case also allowed the phone to do.

Hmmm, that's unfortunate. For some reason I was thinking it was rubbery-er. Does it at least have some grip to it, or is it more glossy, slippery like?

Both glossy & grippy. Won't slide across my desk when I push it because of the black piece that is exposed from the rubber insert, but if I turn it on it's face it slides easy when it's just the exterior case touching.

Yet another edit:

Just spent the last half hour playing castlevania:symphony of the night on a psx emulator, no overheating issues (on an anker battery too - keep this in mind)

This is and will probably always remain my biggest concern with any case for the phone, and while it's probably too early to tell for sure, so far so good. Just wanted to get a preliminary out there about it, and i'll post up a followup to this in a few days if no issues, or a reply sooner if there are.

Figured i'd edit it in instead of making a new reply, since no one else has said anything since my posting.
    OEM HTC Hard Shell Case for T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide, White / Carbon Fiber

Has anyone purchased one of these? I believe that the more squarish shape will look better on our devices.

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=59357

They come on red, black & white, solid black and in blue.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Do did anyone purchase this case?
    Will the phone overheat in this type of enclosing?

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=59935
    Trident Case

Has anyone purchased one of these? I believe that the more squarish shape will look better on our devices.

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=59357

They come on red, black & white, solid black and in blue.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Do did anyone purchase this case?
    Will the phone overheat in this type of enclosing?

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=59935

Thanks gtny930 for making me aware of these Trident Cases. I purchased two cases, one for my iPod Touch and one for the myTouch 4G Slide from Amazon. Being an Otterbox fan, I was kinda nervous on purchasing these. The quality isnt the same as an Otterbox, but its good enough to protect my devices. The iPod touch Trident case is really iffy, the $10 Belkin case I bought from Best Buy seems to be better. However for the myTouch 4G Slide, the Trident case is 10 times better than the Body Glove case I bought from T-Mobile which put indentions and scratches all over the side of my phone.

In the box:
    myTouch 4G Slide Trident Aegis Case(Bottom and Top), Screen Protector, Application Card, Cleaning Cloth, and an Audiojack Extender. The box and papers that came with the phone has QR Codes all over, and when scanned they go to links that dont work, bummer.

Installation:
    I am using the Anker Battery and this case fits good. I took out the battery just to compare it, and there isnt that much of a difference to be concerning.

Thoughts:
    The bottom half of the case is a "two part" thing with one piece being silicon and the other a harder outer layer (Similar to an Otterbox). Installing it was super easy. The silicone covers all of the buttons: Power, Camera, Volume Rockers. It also feels "raised" so the buttons are way easier to press and get to.

The top half of the case covers the "slide-out" portion of the phone and is kind of big and bulky. When sliding the keyboard out, it requires some force but is smooth to slide. When sliding the screen to hide the keyboard, you can tell the screen is being raised a bit and this is kind of a concern for me.

Typing on the keyboard feels more solid now, but the large bezel squishes the top row of the keyboard, so the keys are kind of harder to fit my fingers there. Theres slits cut out for the keyboard LED's, but they are extremely difficult to see when typing. You can only see it when pointing the phone down and actually looking in these little slits.
    Edit: I have actually been using the phone now, and when sliding open the phone, the tab that holds the top part to the screen hits the "g" key when its slide out fast, if your slow it doesnt press it, but I see this as an ISSUE.

If I have anything more to say, I'll be sure to edit.
    I just have a gel skin that I bought from T-Mobile that has D30 impact protection technology. It's a nice strong case, just it's rubberized so it sticks to my pocket, on the bright side my pockets don't ever have lint lol. :D
    I pre-planned against that issue (scraping) with my previous hard-shell case because someone mentioned that in this thread before I started using it.

I'm glad you mentioned that so others can be on the lookout for unintentional damage to their device.

I headed it off by taking a brand new razorblade to it and slicing off just the tiniest bit that was needed to make it not rub. An Xacto Knife, or a fresh blade in any kind of razor knife should do, but best results with the Xacto.

( remember, always cut away from yourself, and not towards anything fleshy like fingers - but you dig your own grave with that. Not responsible for you cutting your finger off 'cause you don't know how to use a knife - anyone. )

Problem I ran into was even taking off the tiniest bit exposed the item for how cheap it was, because the spray-on finish came off as soon as I sliced it, and the white plastic was exposed underneath.

Not a big deal, just cosmetic, and that fishbone case looks far superior to the crap hard case this thread started off with. It's probably all the same color material through and through, but you never know so keep an eye out.