Wireless Charging on i9195

Search This thread
M

Mortitheon

Yeah but it's a bit expensive for me :( anyway, the ones I showed could they be good ones as well? :)

Tapatalk 2-vel küldve az én GT-I9195-ről

I am not 100% sure. Try to search for "Type A Receiver" and "Universal Qi Charging Pad" Those will surely be compatible. :)

Sent from my GT-I9195

Schaussi

Nov 28, 2013
Wireless charging with NFC

FYI, it is possible to use the Micro USB wireless charging receiver with the GT-I9195, you just have to place it 1 cm below the default position.
For details look at
misc.schausberger.cc/2013/12/samsung-galaxy-s4-mini-gt-i9195-wireless-charging-with-working-nfc-function/
(sorry no http links allowed for me yet)

Reactions: DerekZool

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
When you buy these receiver, search for universal and ask for samsung version, the other version is for HTC.

Don't bend too much as these cable are very fragile, but there is a newer version available, better built.

M

Mortitheon

I have received the coil and I had to bend it like it's shown in the picture for it to fit properly. The seller told me that I can keep it like that. I am now waiting for the Qi pad to test it and check it and then I will write a small review.

Vwyeks9.jpg

M

Mortitheon

- I received the charging pad today.
- Fully working, no problems whatsoever.
- Actually, the wireless charging is a little faster then wired charging.
- Be sure to perfectly equip the receiver.
- I had to bend the wire a little bit (see above post) to fit it properly, but the wasn't a problem.
- If you want NFC and wireless charging, both at once, you have to remove the coil carefully and keep just the "template".

If you got any problems, feel free to ask me :)

ScottHW

Sep 23, 2010
Qi connection "pins"

I am also interested in wireless charging for the SGS 4 Mini (SPH-L520)

I read above that the Qi charging coil from the SGS4 won't work with the smaller phone because there are no internal pins
(regardless of what some random "Leaks" blog said about wireless charging capabilities of the Mini)

Interesting that there are coils that plug into the micro USB port.
But seems really kludgy to me. It totally impedes the function of the micro USB port, for charging and/or data!
And it's dangling off the bottom of the phone there, could get snagged on something... [not impressed]

Has any one tried / seen connecting a Qi coil to the battery pins directly?
I don't know if that would charge correctly, overheat the battery..... ???

Or perhaps wiring directly to the back of the micro USB port?
I think NGbod mentioned trying this...
I might look into hooking into the other side of the usb socket when I get time, though I suspect it will probably involve disassembly and soldering something permanently in place.

I might peak around a bit and see what I see.

FWIW, I don't give an sh!t about the NFC capabilities. IMHO that's bloat software, and bloat hardware

ScottHW

Sep 23, 2010
Internal Qi wireless charging coil

Alright, so I whipped out my iFixit 54 Piece Driver Kit (nice tools, recommended, and you can support iFixit tutorials in the process), popped off the back of the phone, grabbed the PH000 bit and took a look.
BTW, props to Sammy for using standard fasteners, unlike HTC's "Please Stay Out" torx T5, or Apple's "Go Fsck Yourself" pentalobe.

I removed the bottom plastic section. Seems to contain a rear external speaker, and a couple antennae (see pic 1)
If you're following along at home, there are 5 screws, which may seem to be self-retaining but are in fact not. Don't lose those little buggers.

Underneath, all 5 USB pins are clearly accessible. (see pic 2)

It should be possible to solder a Qi coil internally with no problem. Only question would be where to run the wires.
If you don't care about hard-modding your phone, just Dremel a hole right through the plastic (watch for the molded-in antennae)
If/when I give this a go, I will probably aim for the hole labeled "R1". A high-gauge should be be able to get in that hole, and under the gap between the plastic and the PCB (see pics 3, 4)
Or, there are two tiny holes that seem to be for an antenna (see pic 3). Again, high-gauge wire could probably get through, but I don't know if there might be any interference, in either direction. Probably(?) cell / wifi signals wouldn't mess with the Qi, less certain about the other way? IANAElectricalEngineer.

Cheers to anybody tries this before me. If/when I give it a go, I'll be sure to post (maybe a new thread) and link to it here.

Attachments

• 20140115_215435.jpg
    20140115_215435.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,638
  • 20140115_215435-crop.jpg
    20140115_215435-crop.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,590
  • 20140115_221328.jpg
    20140115_221328.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 20140115_221328-crop.jpg
    20140115_221328-crop.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,374

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
Alright, so I whipped out my iFixit 54 Piece Driver Kit (nice tools, recommended, and you can support iFixit tutorials in the process), popped off the back of the phone, grabbed the PH000 bit and took a look.
BTW, props to Sammy for using standard fasteners, unlike HTC's "Please Stay Out" torx T5, or Apple's "Go Fsck Yourself" pentalobe.

I removed the bottom plastic section. Seems to contain a rear external speaker, and a couple antennae (see pic 1)
If you're following along at home, there are 5 screws, which may seem to be self-retaining but are in fact not. Don't lose those little buggers.

It should be possible to solder a Qi coil internally with no problem. Only question would be where to run the wires.
If you don't care about hard-modding your phone, just Dremel a hole right through the plastic (watch for the molded-in antennae)
If/when I give this a go, I will probably aim for the hole labeled "R1". A high-gauge should be be able to get in that hole, and under the gap between the plastic and the PCB (see pics 3, 4)
Or, there are two tiny holes that seem to be for an antenna (see pic 3). Again, high-gauge wire could probably get through, but I don't know if there might be any interference, in either direction. Probably(?) cell / wifi signals wouldn't mess with the Qi, less certain about the other way? IANAElectricalEngineer.

Cheers to anybody tries this before me. If/when I give it a go, I'll be sure to post (maybe a new thread) and link to it here.

all you need to do is solder a wireless at the USB + and - to the receiver + and -, and it will work.

taisanica

Aug 6, 2009
I have received the coil and I had to bend it like it's shown in the picture for it to fit properly. The seller told me that I can keep it like that. I am now waiting for the Qi pad to test it and check it and then I will write a small review.

Would you be so kind and post the links for the parts you bought? Is your NFC reader working ok now after the receiver strip? you did strip it right?

M

Mortitheon

Would you be so kind and post the links for the parts you bought? Is your NFC reader working ok now after the receiver strip? you did strip it right?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/360772194385?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

That's from eBay USA. Both receiver and pad included.

If you need it from eBay UK;

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=360771337612

and for the UK pad, just search for a standard qi charger.
Those are both from my most trusted seller. (I broke my receiver and I had to buy a new one from the seller with a discount. A perfect seller imo)

To be honest, I never use the NFC and I didn't try it with the receiver equipped since I have nothing to test it on.

Hopefully, I answered your questions. Feel free to ask me :)

Sent from my GT-I9195

taisanica

Aug 6, 2009
Thx for quick reply! I bought this phone because of NFC tags. Its one of the most useful features I ever had chance to use on mobile smart phone... :) I guess I'll wait little more for some option where both together will be possible (work for sure).

Doobie Doo

Oct 26, 2013
Interesting thread. Debating about getting a S4 mini (price & size). The wireless charging options, actually play a part in the decision. I got a bunch of old palm touchstones sitting around the house and was hoping to re-use. Lots of videos/products to mod a full S4 for a touchstone, but not the mini. Am curious if you think one could mod these universal charger pads to use a Pre coil instead; splicing open the cover and soldering a replacement coil in to the wires that feed the micro usb adapter?

M

Mortitheon

Interesting thread. Debating about getting a S4 mini (price & size). The wireless charging options, actually play a part in the decision. I got a bunch of old palm touchstones sitting around the house and was hoping to re-use. Lots of videos/products to mod a full S4 for a touchstone, but not the mini. Am curious if you think one could mod these universal charger pads to use a Pre coil instead; splicing open the cover and soldering a replacement coil in to the wires that feed the micro usb adapter?

I didn't understand your question...

Sent from my GT-I9195

kms108

Sep 16, 2007

It's not the coil, but the pcb with the components, but this will not work on the S4 mini.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I should be receiving a wireless charging battery for the note 2, I will try to mod it for the s4 mini, it also available for the s3, and s4.

This wireless battery is QI compatible.

ScottHW

Sep 23, 2010
Wireless Charging >> Bigger batteries

Wow! wireless charger sounds wonderful. For general extended batteries there is ZeroLemon 5100mAh batteries. It's highest capacity galaxy s4 mini battery. far better than Qcell batteries for sure.

Thanks for the heads up on that product.

I've long thought that if universal, standardized wireless charging becomes common enough, then battery capacity becomes much less of a problem.

I'm talking about
  • multiple pads around your house
  • built into center consoles/dashboards of cars
  • numerous around the office, every conference room
  • embedded in every coffee table at every cafe
  • all the chairs at airports
  • maybe even in trains, and even planes
If you're never more than ~30 min away from a universal wireless charger, then 24 hours of battery is far more than enough.

Last edited:

romelis

Mar 2, 2014
Does anyone know if there is batteries with Qi compatable charging? I mean that no reciever is needed.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    $T2eC16Z,!%29QFIcpjkhQ5BSN!2voqq!~~60_58.JPG

I have found and order this variant: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-wireless...S_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item2eca5c000c
    It works via connecting to microusb port and placing under back panel.
    It is suitable via dimensions, and I hope it will work normally :)
    Internal Qi wireless charging coil

Has anybody tried the idea with the soldering in the meantime?

I just have one question. If we solder the receiver to the usb-port, and we would want to charge the phone through the cable (let's say on a location where we don't have a wireless charging pad), wouldn't it break? Maybe by short-cirquiting the thing, I don't know..
    So I would like to know if it is safe to use the USB-cable to charge if I have a charging receiver soldered to it. It also charges when I connect the phone to my computer. So, one way or another, when we connect a USB-cable to it, it gets power..

Just to try the idea in question here, I decided to solder a wireless charging pad onto the internal USB connections, and it turned out to work flawlessly.

Here is the guide I wrote on the subject: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Attach+wireless+charging+functionality+to+Samsung+Galaxy+S4+mini/44562

The coil in the pad itself has no inflict on battery consumption, so there is no apparent shortening on the battery connections, I guess the battery charging circuit takes care of that.

When charging the pad itself tends to get quite hot, then again charging time is two thirds or perhaps half the charging time as on cable.

One thing to note, is to have a charger with an output of 5V and 2A, else the charging coil has inconsistent supply, resulting in the phone to continuously switch between charging and not charging.

When charging with cable, there is no indication of the pad getting power, I assume the power distribution circuit in the pad itself prevents it from short circuiting.

My daily use is, with wireless when at work, since I'm constantly sitting at my desk answering calls through my Bluetooth headset and having to go to the laboratory to guide/try a few things while helping the calling customer, where it would kill the USB connector with the amount of attach/detach during the day.

Using cable charging while driving, since I didn't invest in a wireless charger for the car, and using wireless charging during daily hours at home, and cable charging when I'm sleeping.

So the phone do get a variety of charging from either sources.

@BenVDD Hope this helps answering your question.

Sendt fra min GT-I9195 med Tapatalk
    Hi NGbod, have you tried to use your nfc with the coil installed?
    I recently ordered the coil on ebay. How long have you waited for it?
    Thanks a lot
    Snow
    The nfc was desensitized a lot by fitting the coil. Nfc now only responds to the bottom 1/4 of phone and can be very hit or miss. This is with the cover on though, I havent tried it without the cover. Main thing is it still works.
    Delivery was quicker than usual, only two weeks to uk.
    if you are going to use the qi charging, you have to solder the + and - of the internal of the USB port.
    not to say that it's the same thing like what I've done for the Newman, BUT, I've done it before for the Newman :D. The "extended" NFC connectors are also soldered to the motherboard.
    It's not my first rodeo, but I do appreciate the interest.

update:
    the inserted pads