Gain root access on the latest 1.55.531.3 update, ONLY IF you are S-OFF

Search This thread

yogi2010

Dec 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I found out that it is possible to gain root access in an 'unrootable' update, IF you are S-OFF, by flashing ClockworkMod thru the bootloader, and then flashing Superuser thru ClockworkMod. I found out that this worked on the G2, as described here by rdmerck:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1206930

So all i did was replace the android_info.txt and the recovery.img in his zip, with the ones for our device. I just tried it, and it worked! i have Superuser access in the new 1.55.531.3 ROM.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Pretty simple...

1. Download the 2 attached files, put them both on the root of your sdcard, and rename the CWM_HBOOT.zip to PG59IMG.zip.
2. Boot into the bootloader however you prefer, let it read the PG59IMG.zip, and press volume up to update when prompted. When it finishes, it will prompt you to press Power to reboot.
3. Now boot into recovery however you prefer, and it should be ClockworkMod(I used the Modaco 4.0.0.9 version, basically because i had it conveniently lying around in .img format. I'm sure Rom Manager could now be used to flash the latest 5.0.2.7 version of CWM). Choose 'install from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard', then choose the Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip and choose 'yes'. As has happened in the past, i had to flash it 3 times until it successfully installed. But it did work.
4. Choose to reboot, and enjoy root access on the latest stock ROM!

I figure a lot of people probably won't need all that instruction, but i included it for people who are newer to flashing stuff thru the HBOOT and CWM. I also figure that the user base for this will probably be very small, as most folks who are S-OFF probably are not choosing to run the stock ROM. But anyway, if you DO have S-OFF, i wanted you to know that you can have root access on the latest update. I figure this will also enable us to make nandroid images of the new ROM, if that would help development at all.

Anyway, here are the 2 files:

ClockworkMod: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18474790/CWM_HBOOT.zip

Superuser: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18474790/Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

Note:

-This worked for me and should work for you, but use at your own risk.

-You must be S-OFF to do this.

-Hopefully this is only a temporary solution for those with S-OFF, until either Team Revolutionary cracks the update, or HTCDEV fixes whatever is preventing their bootloader unlocker tool from working on our device.

Last edited:

HebrewToYou

Feb 9, 2010
how do i upgrade to the latest OTA if i'm already on a rooted stock ROM?
Well, since nobody has made a custom rom with the latest OTA bits, you will have to do what I did:

You'll need to downgrade yourself with the stock PG59IMG.zip, putting that file (found here) on the root of your sdcard and booting into the bootloader.

That will basically return your phone to stock and, IIRC, revert your status to S-OFF Locked. Then you'll need to boot up and check for system updates. You'll definitely be given the first small OTA update, but you very likely wont receive the latest OTA update via system updates.

For that you'll need to download it (from here) and flash it through the stock recovery. Once you've done that you can use the instructions in this thread to re-flash clockworkmod recovery and re-root.

Your phone will still be S-OFF but you'll have a locked bootloader.

Reactions: yogi2010

yogi2010

Dec 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
so does that mean i won't be able to restore a custom rom image?

Since you're S-OFF, you could flash ClockworkMod on the update and then flash a custom ROM, but I believe that would leave you with an old ROM and the new radio, which seems to have caused issues for people. Since there aren't yet any custom ROMs based on the latest update, you should probably stay where you are if you want a custom ROM. But if you do install the update, you would still be able to downgrade and get back to where you are now.

yogi2010

Dec 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You could run this ROM, which is based on the latest OTA release from HTC, so no OTA updates are needed. It is optimized, deodexed, and tweaked just a tad. I use it as my daily driver with great success. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/12063-devrom12192011-stock-12853110-r2-deodexed-crtgpu/

I think possibly we've been thru this before, lol, but that ROM isn't the very latest... there has been a pretty big update since then that thus far is only available as an official OTA update package.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found out that it is possible to gain root access in an 'unrootable' update, IF you are S-OFF, by flashing ClockworkMod thru the bootloader, and then flashing Superuser thru ClockworkMod. I found out that this worked on the G2, as described here by rdmerck:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1206930

So all i did was replace the android_info.txt and the recovery.img in his zip, with the ones for our device. I just tried it, and it worked! i have Superuser access in the new 1.55.531.3 ROM.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Pretty simple...

1. Download the 2 attached files, put them both on the root of your sdcard, and rename the CWM_HBOOT.zip to PG59IMG.zip.
    2. Boot into the bootloader however you prefer, let it read the PG59IMG.zip, and press volume up to update when prompted. When it finishes, it will prompt you to press Power to reboot.
    3. Now boot into recovery however you prefer, and it should be ClockworkMod(I used the Modaco 4.0.0.9 version, basically because i had it conveniently lying around in .img format. I'm sure Rom Manager could now be used to flash the latest 5.0.2.7 version of CWM). Choose 'install from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard', then choose the Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip and choose 'yes'. As has happened in the past, i had to flash it 3 times until it successfully installed. But it did work.
    4. Choose to reboot, and enjoy root access on the latest stock ROM!

I figure a lot of people probably won't need all that instruction, but i included it for people who are newer to flashing stuff thru the HBOOT and CWM. I also figure that the user base for this will probably be very small, as most folks who are S-OFF probably are not choosing to run the stock ROM. But anyway, if you DO have S-OFF, i wanted you to know that you can have root access on the latest update. I figure this will also enable us to make nandroid images of the new ROM, if that would help development at all.

Anyway, here are the 2 files:

ClockworkMod: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18474790/CWM_HBOOT.zip

Superuser: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18474790/Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

Note:

-This worked for me and should work for you, but use at your own risk.

-You must be S-OFF to do this.

-Hopefully this is only a temporary solution for those with S-OFF, until either Team Revolutionary cracks the update, or HTCDEV fixes whatever is preventing their bootloader unlocker tool from working on our device.
    So this unlocked the bootloader? Gain root? And if you was S-ON made it S-OFF?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

S-off is coming. No ETA yet. Meantime, people S-ON can now use the unlock method through HTC to gain some control over their devices now that we have a working copy of their OTA.

You will be able to root, custom recovery and install ROMs. Some restrictions apply like changing radio and a few others, but we'll get it.
    I was originally gonna mention this on the hboot thread I started but this thread seems more appropriate. First take a gander at this link from G2 forums

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=831398

Then, let me mention that misc.img block parition on G2 is mmcblk0p17 but as for the htc doubleshot, the misc.img is located on mmcblk0p16. Try opening terminal emulator and running this command

hexdump -C /dev/block/mmcblk0p16

Try using adapting the instructions from that link to the doubleshot and then using the official signed PG90.zip (or w/e the )

EDIT:
    I realized via tbalden's thread that mmcblk0p31 contains exact same hex dump as mmcblk0p16. Anybody know anything about this?
    UPDATE!

it has been confirmed that the new factory stock PG59IMG.zip, which makes the HTC Unlock tool work, can be flashed even if you are S-ON. So, nobody is completely stuck anymore, everyone at least has access to the HTC unlock tool. for instructions on how to do this, go here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1508406
    how do i upgrade to the latest OTA if i'm already on a rooted stock ROM?
    Well, since nobody has made a custom rom with the latest OTA bits, you will have to do what I did:

You'll need to downgrade yourself with the stock PG59IMG.zip, putting that file (found here) on the root of your sdcard and booting into the bootloader.

That will basically return your phone to stock and, IIRC, revert your status to S-OFF Locked. Then you'll need to boot up and check for system updates. You'll definitely be given the first small OTA update, but you very likely wont receive the latest OTA update via system updates.

For that you'll need to download it (from here) and flash it through the stock recovery. Once you've done that you can use the instructions in this thread to re-flash clockworkmod recovery and re-root.

Your phone will still be S-OFF but you'll have a locked bootloader.