In-dash nexus 7 with working steering wheel controls

Search This thread

jo0b4k4

May 4, 2013
That is the device I posted a link to earlier.

For triggering the reverse camera...the joycon exr that you can use for the steering wheel controls can also be used to trigger the camera. I'm not exactly sure how its gonna work until I get the parts I need to try it. Here's some info on the joycon and reverse camera. http://www.rcjoycon.com/base_3/menu...e1=&com_board_search_value2=&com_board_page=&

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

So does joy con send a signal to the N7, and you use tasker or something to launch the app for our rear view cam and close the app when we're done?

Last edited:

Merkoen

Sep 27, 2013
suzukiblog.net
So does joy con send a signal to the N7, and you use tasker or something to launch the app for our rear view cam and close the app when we're done?
Yup.

I havent tested it myself yet, but i have ordered a JoyCon, and from what i understand it does the following:
When the joycon get a signal from your reversing light or steering wheel (volumeUp\Down etc), it sends that signal to the JoyCon, then the JoyCon translate those signals to "Keyboard HID signals", over to the N7. So the N7 thinks you have connected a keyboard to it.

So when the N7 receives keyboard inputs, it can launch X app etc.

Nov 14, 2010
Gilbert

jeb192004

Aug 22, 2012
Can you expound on how this works?
Thanks.

- Converts resistive steering wheel remote controls into USB HID keyboard
and HID remote controller.
- Works same as standard USB HID keyboard and HID remote controller by hardware.

Copied that from their site. ( http://www.rcjoycon.com/base_3/menu...e1=&com_board_search_value2=&com_board_page=&)

Not all cars use resistive steering wheel controls tho. Check to make sure yours does. They also have a list of supported cars on that link. Just cars users have reported it working on...

Sent from my LG-LS995 using XDA Free mobile app

barnesk9

Sep 23, 2008
Can you share how you set up the long press buttons with the Joycon? Like what's the short hold, critical, and long hold times that you have in Joycon explorer

jeb192004

Aug 22, 2012
They have a program on their site you'll have to download to a laptop and take that out to your car and program each button.

Wassted

Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the reply, let me know what you come up with. I also have a Silverado that this will be going in. I want to do a semi permanent mount in the dash. But I have a feeling it will end up being permanent.

blucmal

Nov 13, 2011
Nice work and great thread looking at doing something similar trying to decide weather to use my nexus 7 or I have an odroid u2 I may use will keep an eye on this thread.

jeb192004

Aug 22, 2012
so what's the purpose of the 10s relay?

When you start your car turning the key you send power to the tablet then gets disconnected then power while the car starts. The electricians where I work said the quick power surges are not good for tablets. The relay allows the tablet to not be turned on until the relay has power for 0-10 seconds. Whichever you set it to.

jeb192004

Aug 22, 2012

Attachments

• 1405823404611.jpg
    1405823404611.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 450

Wassted

Dec 9, 2010
Well I had the joycon working yesterday morning. Then it's like all my resistor values changed while I was at work. Any ideas? Black is to ground white is to green pin 6 under the dash.

jeb192004

Aug 22, 2012
Well I had the joycon working yesterday morning. Then it's like all my resistor values changed while I was at work. Any ideas? Black is to ground white is to green pin 6 under the dash.

That happens to me too. I had to open the range for the resistance to give it some play. I've emailed joycon about that too and didn't get anywhere. Their solution was to cut the steering wheel control wire and not allow it to go to the cars computer but I found that doing that cause the steering wheel controls to not work at all with the joycon.

Wassted

Dec 9, 2010
I just realized that as well. I'm getting voltage from the "data" wire, this is what's messing it up. I messed with the ranges this morning as well and thought I had it working until I ran the pickup long enough for the alternator to drop down to 12 volts. This changed everything... The voltage needs to go to make this work.

Top Liked Posts