[Q] Urgent Help needed: Galaxy S2 made in China or in Korea?

Search This thread

itenos

Jul 28, 2010
Bali
Hi Guys,

I'm currently in Singapore and found some shops in the Sim Lim Square Computer Center that sell the Galaxy S2 at real rock bottom prices: less than 800 S$ (about US$630).
They come without a warranty card in it and with a Spanish/English User manual and a charger with a US plug, instead of the local Singaporean plug.
There is definitely something shady about these phones but as long as it's only the plug difference and the absence of warranty I wouldn't be concerned as even the official Samsung Singapore warranty wouldn't be valid outside of Singapore (and as I said, I'm just visiting here).

My big doubt started when I saw the sticker inside the phone under the battery that says: Made in China
My current phone, the old Galaxy S is made in Korea!

I'm afraid that these phones might actually be complete fake ones... I've seen that once in the Philippines: they sell fake Nokia phones that look like Nokia and even have the first menu level of the firmware look like Nokia's Symbian and only on level 2 deep everything changes to chinese garbage.

Could anyone help me out with my doubts as soon as possible? I'm here in Singapore only until tomorrow so I have to make a fast decision.

Thanks a lot

Mikhael Hong

Oct 17, 2010
I'm Korean. Samsung Electronics is Korean Company. Every flagship samsung mobile phone made in Korea in Gumi city. Samsung mobile factory located Gumi city in Korea. I have galaxy s and galaxy s2 uk unlock version. My phones made in Korea.

zeitgeb3r

Jul 1, 2011
Carmona, Cavite
FFS! Don't go to Sim Lim Square. It's the shadiest tech town in the world. I once bought a 128GB thumb drive there. It was faaaake.

On another occasion, I bought an N8 with no warranty cuz it was going for cheap (and was told it was the last one in stock). It died within a week.

You get what you pay for.

If it's too good to be true, then it's not Beyoncé kneeling before me.

Reactions: itenos

bharat_xda

May 23, 2011
Hi Guys,

I'm currently in Singapore and found some shops in the Sim Lim Square Computer Center that sell the Galaxy S2 at real rock bottom prices: less than 800 S$ (about US$630).
They come without a warranty card in it and with a Spanish/English User manual and a charger with a US plug, instead of the local Singaporean plug.
There is definitely something shady about these phones but as long as it's only the plug difference and the absence of warranty I wouldn't be concerned as even the official Samsung Singapore warranty wouldn't be valid outside of Singapore (and as I said, I'm just visiting here).

My big doubt started when I saw the sticker inside the phone under the battery that says: Made in China

I'm afraid that these phones might actually be complete fake ones... I've seen that once in the Philippines: they sell fake Nokia phones that look like Nokia and even have the first menu level of the firmware look like Nokia's Symbian and only on level 2 deep everything changes to chinese garbage.

Could anyone help me out with my doubts as soon as possible? I'm here in Singapore only until tomorrow so I have to make a fast decision.

Thanks a lot

I'd avoid buying high-end stuff from Sim Lim if I were you. Which shop are we talking about?

While it's definitely possible that these are original(given the price), these could be refurbished/stolen(although this is less likely in Singpaore).

If $630 is a lot for you, I'd suggest you pick a unit with warranty. If that's not an option, at least shell out a few extra dollars to get it from an authorized retailer.

For the record, my Indian phone says 'Made by Samsung in Korea'.

kannanX10

May 6, 2010
Coimbatore-TN
In India first batch s2 phones were made in Korea whereas the second batch is made in China(which is now in stock)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

TWiTCommander

Jan 16, 2010
Toronto, ON
My SGS2 says "Made in China". I checked like a dozen other handsets at various reputable retailers (including Samsung's distributors, authorized retailers and repair centres) last week (I was vacationing). All had "Made in China" labels under the battery.

I guess there are at least two factories making these devices.

holgalee

Dec 20, 2010
I'm from Singapore and purchased my SGS2 from a local teleco last weekend. The battery says Made in Korea finished in China. The sticker underneath says Made by Samsung with no indication of country. The box doesn't state the country either, though there's a sticker that says do not accept if seal is broken. Caution sealed package plus one paragraph of text. A round light orange sticker says No Chinese menu and the quick start guide was printed in China.

While I seldom go to Sim Lim Square, I've read of tuggish salespeople and their tactics to rip off the unsuspecting. But there are some "clean" shops too. If you see quite a number of local customers examining the products and paying, it should be fairly safe. Do the salespeople answer your questions well or are they evasive? Ask if the phone is grey market or parallel import and watch their response. I wouldn't use the work "fake" in case I get "hammered". My ultimate advice is if you feel uncomfortable and don't want to risk getting a fake, you shouldn't get the phone from non-telcos such as M1, Singtel or Starhub.

BTW, the phone is ridiculously popular in Singapore and is sold out in many shops. Just check the Samsung Mobile Singapore page. If you know the shop name and number, you may want to ask on Facebook, telling them you're a tourist, and hopefully someone familiar with the shops there will respond. Wishing you good luck in getting the phone. ;)

Last edited:

itenos

Jul 28, 2010
Bali
Thank you my friends, even though it comforted me that there are apparently legitimate models out in the market that are made in China, I follow your advice and will not buy the phone in Sim Lim. I better wait till I'm back home and spending maybe 50 Euros more, I will have at least some peace of mind.

Thanks a lot again

Chef_Tony

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 8, 2008
now here's a puzzle:
- my packaging says nothing about the country of origin.
- underneath the battery it just says made by samsung
- on the battery it says made in korea, finished in china (in english and french) BUT: in spanish it says, it was made and finished in china.

so the only things i can say with certainty is that the battery is finished in china, where it was made varies on what language you speak and the device itself is apparently made in the kingdom of sam sung, must be one of those new countries i've been hearing about.

robt772000

Mar 21, 2010
Mine says made in Korea. I wonder if there is a build quality difference between Chinese and Korean SGS2?

rodeo_calling

Mar 30, 2005
now here's a puzzle:
- my packaging says nothing about the country of origin.
- underneath the battery it just says made by samsung
- on the battery it says made in korea, finished in china (in english and french) BUT: in spanish it says, it was made and finished in china.

so the only things i can say with certainty is that the battery is finished in china, where it was made varies on what language you speak and the device itself is apparently made in the kingdom of sam sung, must be one of those new countries i've been hearing about.

Same here, under the battery it says made by samsung.

Mikhael Hong

Oct 17, 2010
According to news on Korea at 01/2011, Mobile phone for asian market made in China. So i think differ from region that be selled.

I saw my sgs and other sgs bettery. One made in Korea. Other one made in China finished in Korea. Rest one made In Japan. Region of bettery differ from date of rollout.

Jun 23, 2011
Got mine from Singapore as well. Made in korea and everything. What's strange is that my phone was actually destined for chile (ukbd1 rom)

You might wanna try Funan digimall. Thats also where i got mine. Most of the people i talk to say the sellers there are more honest. Although I'm not a local. :)

Last edited:

stormstrider

Jun 3, 2011
Mine is Made by Samsung without stating either country Korea or China. The battery though was Made in Korea/ Finish in China

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FFS! Don't go to Sim Lim Square. It's the shadiest tech town in the world. I once bought a 128GB thumb drive there. It was faaaake.

On another occasion, I bought an N8 with no warranty cuz it was going for cheap (and was told it was the last one in stock). It died within a week.

You get what you pay for.

If it's too good to be true, then it's not Beyoncé kneeling before me.
    Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot

I'd avoid buying high-end stuff from Sim Lim if I were you. Which shop are we talking about?

While it's definitely possible that these are original(given the price), these could be refurbished/stolen(although this is less likely in Singpaore).

If $630 is a lot for you, I'd suggest you pick a unit with warranty. If that's not an option, at least shell out a few extra dollars to get it from an authorized retailer.

For the record, my Indian phone says 'Made by Samsung in Korea'.
    In India first batch s2 phones were made in Korea whereas the second batch is made in China(which is now in stock)

My SGS2 says "Made in China". I checked like a dozen other handsets at various reputable retailers (including Samsung's distributors, authorized retailers and repair centres) last week (I was vacationing). All had "Made in China" labels under the battery.

I guess there are at least two factories making these devices.
    My Packaging says it is made in Korea. Even the sticker under the battery in the unit says made in Korea. But the battery itself is made in China. LOL.