[TOOLKIT] Dualboot CM9 and FakeCWM for Sprint SGS3

Search This thread

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago
Is that all I need to do? Or are there other steps needed? I'm trying to gather the spread apart pieces, and follow the old blog post, but I'm just not getting it.

Sent from Mr Z's HP Touchpad

There's actually a few extra steps for this to work with CM10. See this post.

I have an updated version in the works to work natively for CM10, but it's not quite ready for release.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: jsmcmahon89

billard412

Jan 9, 2012
Da burg (412), PA
www.sxtpdevelopers.com
Is that all I need to do? Or are there other steps needed? I'm trying to gather the spread apart pieces, and follow the old blog post, but I'm just not getting it.

Sent from Mr Z's HP Touchpad

Edit the updater-script in cm10. Find the line that reads

format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p14", "0", "/system");

and change to

format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p14", "0");

Ive attached one with the changes made already, remove the .txt extension

Attachments

• updater-script.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
I'm guessing the recovery would have to be updated to support kexec mode as well. Kind of a bummer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Why would recovery need updated? In the change from CM9 --> CM10 we only needed a new boot.zip.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 1982gmcP

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Link: Dualboot CM9-on-EMMC for Sprint SGS3

The CM developers are rapidly fixing bugs in the CM9 nightly builds, however it might be a while before CM9 is dependable as a daily driver. Thus Team Epic has created this toolkit of CM9-on-EMMC and FakeCWM to allow both developers and testers to rapidly test standard CM9 .zip's. The phone's standard ROM and kernel are intact so you have a stable ROM to fallback on.

• The alternate ROM is stored in /sdcard/multiboot/CM9 of the "internal sdcard" storage. Booting the alternate ROM is temporary. Reboot the phone to return to the standard ROM.
    • FakeCWM Recovery is used to install, upgrade, and manage CM9-on-EMMC.
    • If there is demand, we can adapt this CM9-on-EMMC method for other SGS3 LTE variants.
    Follow Sprint SGS3 CM on Google+ for the latest development news relevant to this phone.

Credits: mkasick and bbelos of Team Epic.
    If you appreciate this work, please consider supporting Team Epic!
    Has anyone had luck with CM10 dual boot and the latest CM10 build (8/12/12)?

I just went to full flash and not dual boot because I could not shake the boot loop. It kept kicking me back into Stock Rooted TW ROM.

Curious to know if there's still any development going on here.

Kernel changes in the 8/12 build required a slight modification to the boot zip. Grab boot_CM10-v2.zip.
    Is it time for bootCM_v4.zip already?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Looks like it. Try this one: boot_CM10-v4.zip for nightly 09/12.
    Updated the CM10 boot zip for 0906 nightly: boot_CM10-v3.zip
    So, I've been working on trying to port MIUI to the SGS3 using CMTeamEpic's CM9 build as my base. Considering the kernel will be unchanged, would I be able to boot the ported MIUI using these multiboot tools?

Yeah, I suppose if it's using the unchanged CM9 kernel, then I think a MIUI boot would work. Just have to be careful with your updater-script. Fakecwm looks for certain commands to make sure everything gets directed to the disk images. Use the CM9 updater script as a guide.

Also, are there plans to develop this to be able to multiboot multiple (>3) ROMs based on any kernel?

Alright thanks for the answer, it would be really EPIC if that was possible. but i would definitely push for it, maybe a dual boot with a stock kernel on both that would be modified of course

You can see from our Development Plan that we intend to provide a Stock Boot alternative once CM9 is further along in development. Alternate 3rd-party kernels need to have kexec support before they will work, but they will otherwise "flash" with the current toolkit provided the updater-script is using the correct command.

**Keep in mind though, that the toolkit is designed to work with the official CM9 update zips and the flashing of any other zips is at your own risk. Issues encountered with alternate zips should be taken up with the creator.