[MOD] Gingerbread Keyboard on Atrix! (Updated 4/15/11)

Search This thread

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
First thing before we start, YOU MUST HAVE A DEODEXED SYSTEM. If you don't know what that means, stop here.

Ok, now we can continue.

This is a quick howto and a mod on how to use Gingerbread Soft Keyboard on Atrix.

1. Download http://nma.usk.bz/atrix.php (Link fixed)
2. Decompress copy them to your phone sdcard:
Code:
adb push GBKeyboard /mnt/sdcard/GBKeyboard
3. Now open a shell on your phone:
Code:
adb shell
4. Become root:
Code:
$ su
5. Backup the original files in case something goes wrong:
Code:
# mkdir /mnt/sdcard/kb_backup
# cp /system/app/LatinIME.apk /mnt/sdcard/kb_backup
# cp /system/lib/libjni_latinime.so /mnt/sdcard/kb_backup
6. Now mount your /system as read-write:
Code:
# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
7. Now copy the Gingerbreak keyboard files to your system, overwriting the current ones:
Code:
# cp /mnt/sdcard/GBKeyboard/LatinIME.apk /system/app/LatinIME.apk
# cp /mnt/sdcard/GBKeyboard/libjni_latinime.so /system/lib/libjni_latinime.so

Done, you now have a Gingerbread keyboard on your Atrix. This is the stock Gingerbread keyboard right from a Nexus S ROM. It's not a themed keyboard.

There is one known issue, vibrate on key_press is not working. But that's pretty much the only issue that I found. Everything else works. Everything should be working! Let me know of any issues!

And remember: Backup your /system! If you brick your phone, don't blame me!

One last thing, to answer the questions about why you should use this one instead of the market one or other APKs. This is the stock GB keyboard tweaked for the Atrix screen resolutions. You can see the difference on the screenshots below:

On the left the Stock GB Keyboard tweaked(this one I posted) and on the right the Market/other apks:

atrix_stock_gb_keyboard_port.png
atrix_market_gb_keyboard_port.png

And on landscape more: (you can see on the picture below that the market one also doesnt leave much space for the input form)

atrix_stock_gb_keyboard_land.png
atrix_market_gb_keyboard_land.png

Changelog :
4/15/2011
Fixed some broken links.
v2 :
- Fixed some minor cosmetic bugs! Should look a little better overall.
- HapticFeedback is working!
- Based on the Gingerbread keyboard from stock 2.3.2

Last edited:

sstalder

Feb 22, 2011
The gingerbread keyboard in the market also works on the atrix. Does this mod have the small keys due to resolution or has it been tweaked for the atrix?

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010
I just downloaded the one off the market and it seems to be the exact one I had on my captivate

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

uskr

Feb 12, 2011

ajftl

Mar 30, 2010
I have the gingerbread keyboard on mine and it was a simply apk installation .....

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
I have the gingerbread keyboard on mine and it was a simply apk installation .....

Which APK did you use? When I tried to just install the stock APK from Gingerbread, I got Force Close problems, because of the lib that was incomplatible. And then even when I updated the lib, the keyboard was too small, because of the different resolution of the Atrix. So I still had to tweak the apk.

ajftl

Mar 30, 2010
Which APK did you use? When I tried to just install the stock APK from Gingerbread, I got Force Close problems, because of the lib that was incomplatible. And then even when I updated the lib, the keyboard was too small, because of the different resolution of the Atrix. So I still had to tweak the apk.

I would post it up when I get home ...its on my PC ...
I don't get Fc. I get the small keyboard but by choosing the stock one then back to gingerbread fix the problem. Lol. Shootme wont work here and im rooted. Wtf!

Last edited:

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
I don't get Fc. I get the small keyboard but by choosing the stock one then back to gingerbread fix the problem. Lol. Shootme wont work here and im rooted. Wtf!

Would you mind to share the apk that you are using? We could be talking about different apks.

Reactions: ajftl

ajftl

Mar 30, 2010
Would you mind to share the apk that you are using? We could be talking about different apks.

sure... like i said first time u choose the keyboard it displays small letters go back to imput method and select stock keyboard then select gingerbread again.. u have to do that once only .. not like u have to do that procedure often unless u go back to stock keyboard then u want gingerbread again

Attachments

• gbkb-en.apk
    1 MB · Views: 373
Reactions: Mustang302LX

ankitb4u

Sep 10, 2007
sure... like i said first time u choose the keyboard it displays small letters go back to imput method and select stock keyboard then select gingerbread again.. u have to do that once only .. not like u have to do that procedure often unless u go back to stock keyboard then u want gingerbread again

Dude I will have to save this APk the one from market doesn't vibrate this thread one does not. But this simple apk does. How ironic. Thanks.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
I will post a screenshot later, but the stock gingerbread one adapted for the Atrix screen looks a lot better than the Market Gingerbread keyboard or that other apk posted here.

Also, the stock one I posted is tweaked to give you a little more room while on landscape mode.

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
I updated the original post with screenshots showing the differences between the stock one tweaked for the Atrix resolution and the market or other apks.

sstalder

Feb 22, 2011
I got the files from your zip copied over but afterwards the only keyboard options I had was swype. Any ideas?

I am running the ADEO ROM from DG.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First thing before we start, YOU MUST HAVE A DEODEXED SYSTEM. If you don't know what that means, stop here.

Ok, now we can continue.

This is a quick howto and a mod on how to use Gingerbread Soft Keyboard on Atrix.

1. Download http://nma.usk.bz/atrix.php (Link fixed)
    2. Decompress copy them to your phone sdcard:
    Code:
    adb push GBKeyboard /mnt/sdcard/GBKeyboard
    3. Now open a shell on your phone:
    Code:
    adb shell
    4. Become root:
    Code:
    $ su
    5. Backup the original files in case something goes wrong:
    Code:
    # mkdir /mnt/sdcard/kb_backup
    # cp /system/app/LatinIME.apk /mnt/sdcard/kb_backup
    # cp /system/lib/libjni_latinime.so /mnt/sdcard/kb_backup
    6. Now mount your /system as read-write:
    Code:
    # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
    7. Now copy the Gingerbreak keyboard files to your system, overwriting the current ones:
    Code:
    # cp /mnt/sdcard/GBKeyboard/LatinIME.apk /system/app/LatinIME.apk
    # cp /mnt/sdcard/GBKeyboard/libjni_latinime.so /system/lib/libjni_latinime.so

Done, you now have a Gingerbread keyboard on your Atrix. This is the stock Gingerbread keyboard right from a Nexus S ROM. It's not a themed keyboard.

There is one known issue, vibrate on key_press is not working. But that's pretty much the only issue that I found. Everything else works. Everything should be working! Let me know of any issues!

And remember: Backup your /system! If you brick your phone, don't blame me!

One last thing, to answer the questions about why you should use this one instead of the market one or other APKs. This is the stock GB keyboard tweaked for the Atrix screen resolutions. You can see the difference on the screenshots below:

On the left the Stock GB Keyboard tweaked(this one I posted) and on the right the Market/other apks:

atrix_stock_gb_keyboard_port.png
    atrix_market_gb_keyboard_port.png

And on landscape more: (you can see on the picture below that the market one also doesnt leave much space for the input form)

atrix_stock_gb_keyboard_land.png
    atrix_market_gb_keyboard_land.png

Changelog :
    4/15/2011
    Fixed some broken links.
    v2 :
    - Fixed some minor cosmetic bugs! Should look a little better overall.
    - HapticFeedback is working!
    - Based on the Gingerbread keyboard from stock 2.3.2