PiP mode for Android O

Search This thread

stage121

Sep 29, 2017
This is my #1 most requested feature for MX Player. I really hope it is implemented as I keep checking this forum and general updates every day. I have tried VLC player and it works very well with PiP but find MX Player better in every other aspect.

Could a dev let us know if this is actively being worked on and if so, is it anywhere near release?

Thank you very much :)

adhammagdy

Nov 3, 2015
Cairo
Xiaomi Poco F3
Yeah +1
All video players have either pip or floating window mode except mx player.. the devs have been promising this essential functionality for too long.. mx is great but watching in split window of nougat isn't practical as it takes a large part of the screen and disappears when the keyboard is open.. and many apps don't support being put in split screen

Reactions: Aswin08

truelies1

Aug 14, 2011
Yeah +1
All video players have either pip or floating window mode except mx player.. the devs have been promising this essential functionality for too long.. mx is great but watching in split window of nougat isn't practical as it takes a large part of the screen and disappears when the keyboard is open.. and many apps don't support being put in split screen

I only use mx player, but why it still no pip?

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
We have some plans for supporting PIP in future.
But, It may need lot works as MX Player is very complicated in nature when compared to others. So, we can't provide any timelines about the availability.

yiddyuk

Apr 3, 2016
We have some plans for supporting PIP in future.
But, It may need lot works as MX Player is very complicated in nature when compared to others. So, we can't provide any timelines about the availability.
Just to get a clearer picture
  1. Did you start working on it already or is it just a plan for the future?
  2. Do you reckon it'll take days, weeks or months until a release?

MrKaon

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Development of new features are slow as snail, with new VLC 3 I'm dumping MX Player completely, used it since it's inception. Time to move on.

GokuSSJgod

Nov 19, 2017
Pueblo
I Have vlc 3 and it's much more polished than before. You just press home for the pip instead of navigating your way to so it. I HAVE no idea what mx hasn't added it. I know that they are capable. It's got to be one of the most featured requests. Android P dev preview will be out first though ha.

oroboros74

Jan 3, 2013
It's been some eight months since we started asking about PIP. Still no road map?

Have others started moving away from Mxplayer and to VLC?

nezebilo

Jul 11, 2015
Vlc wastes 5 times the amount of battery MX player does. Probably the complexity the dev was talking about. It's not an option for me. I'll manage MX till PiP is supported

Sent from my Google Pixel 2 using XDA Labs

Aswin08

Dec 31, 2012
OnePlus 7T
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
It's been some eight months since we started asking about PIP. Still no road map?

Have others started moving away from Mxplayer and to VLC?

Because of lack of PIP I tried moving to VLC several times, but i have so much of videos and there is no video folder view like in MX, VLC just shows every videos in its home or useless storage view where its shows every folder in device.
So eventually i come back to MX. But PIP is too usefull. I may need to try some other video players.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi
    Is it possible to have PiP mode in Android O?
    So far handful apps supporting it but no video player.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    This is my #1 most requested feature for MX Player. I really hope it is implemented as I keep checking this forum and general updates every day. I have tried VLC player and it works very well with PiP but find MX Player better in every other aspect.

Could a dev let us know if this is actively being worked on and if so, is it anywhere near release?

Thank you very much :)
    I hope people stop pirating and buy license of mx player so dev can work faster

This is just conjecture, but I have a feeling you've seen development slow a little bit due to the acquisition -- being bought out takes a lot of time and effort, so now that it's official hopefully you'll see development efforts increase. That said, we have no idea what that deal looks like, and there have been plenty of times when a buy out ends up resulting in a greatly slowed development pace, the app being modified to the point where it is terrible just to align with the new company's strategy, or the app being discontinued. We've also seen instances where the new owner injects some.... let's call it "questionable" code into the app, that almost forces users away from it when they find out. Hopefully none of this is the case with MX Player, but we simply cannot know.

I'm sadly going to start shopping for a new player though - I'm glad these guys got paid for their hard work, but I have a bad feeling about MX Players future.
    No one?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Could someone please post here as soon as there's a beta MX Player available for download? I'd love to have this feature.. just like YouTube and Netflix.

It's been almost 2 years. I wouldn't hold your breathe...

We regret the inconveniences this may have caused. We would like to confirm that we are currently working on some of the most requested features like Equalizer, Casting, PIP, etc. Stay tuned with us for further updates :)