On my fourth M8 phone.

Search This thread

rahtrip

Jun 24, 2013
Dealing with AT&T has been a pain. The first three devices had a flaw or the other.

1. 1st device had scuffs and scratches and a fully sunken in volume rocker. I'd had to force my fingernail into the volume rocker housing to trigger a response.

2. 2nd one kept rebooting on itself and would show me an exclamation point.

3. 3rd one wouldnt charge past 95% and the speaker grill was raised and wasn't flush with the device.

If anyone has to exchange more than once AT&T will give you a hard time about it, but you reiterate to them and tell them clearly that the device was DOA out of box and/or defective.

This 4th one has been good so far. Crossing my fingers that this one is perfect. Once again I'm disappointed that HTC's device is a beauty, but the quality control has been atrocious. Wonder if it is a batch issue.

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
Benefit of the doubt: You're on the losing end of a statistical improbability

Caveat: If you are specifically looking for imperfections you will find them

Hope the next one fits your expectations, spending $650 definitely calls for that

Reactions: rahtrip

john1028

Mar 1, 2011
ha just noticed the corners of the screen on mine aren't completely flush with the body. ordered my dev edition from htc.

no biggie in my mind. glad you got it sorted, op.

Reactions: rahtrip

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
Mine is very good condition. No issues

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

H4rryTipp3r

Sep 13, 2012
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
My question is, how are people getting unflush speaker grills when there not a separate peice, unless there talking about the whole thing with the speaker holes not being flush.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jakirkla

Jan 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My first m8 also had an unflush top speaker grill on the right side. It was literally too long to fit on the space provided, but my 2nd is flawless and I am enamored with it.

rahtrip

Jun 24, 2013
You're probably just super anal or something...

All three of them had pretty much unacceptable issues. Especially if its a serious hardware issue, the battery doesnt work, etc. If you're paying premium buck for something then you expect it to come out of the box looking and working like a premium device. Im talking strictly out of the box without user error or damage coming into play. I'm not the only one, look at the links i posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLN3KzHw9G0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opf3zKH5K0E

MrPlNK

Aug 11, 2012
Gaithersburg
^ yeah I don't care enough to go watch YouTube videos about your "imperfect" m8..

That just shows how anal you are you made a video..... Smfh

Reactions: CraigP17

rahtrip

Jun 24, 2013
^ yeah I don't care enough to go watch YouTube videos about your "imperfect" m8..

That just shows how anal you are you made a video..... Smfh

Yea the videos arent mine, two youtube techies that posted videos of their experience. No need to be a prick, you cared enough and took time to comment on my original post, so I was just responding to you. "Smfh"

JayRolla

Mar 8, 2011
In can't wait to get my s5 so I can trade in for the m8. I messed up and jumped on s5 pre-order train not realizing biggest mistake off my life. Lol. Hope its clean. Good luck on your last replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Dan37tz

Apr 22, 2011
In can't wait to get my s5 so I can trade in for the m8. I messed up and jumped on s5 pre-order train not realizing biggest mistake off my life. Lol. Hope its clean. Good luck on your last replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

DAMN if choosing an S5 over an M8 was the biggest mistake of your life...I want your life. :laugh:

JayRolla

Mar 8, 2011
DAMN if choosing an S5 over an M8 was the biggest mistake of your life...I want your life. :laugh:

I should edit that to "my biggest tech mistake of my life" LOL. More meant to be of my modding xda ways. I love the phone, hate that they are locking them down. Dont want to wait for a work around. If the HTC was locked I would be stickign with this but now you can unlock the m8 easily I think I have to trade up. I will try both in the store also, if I hate the HTC I wont get it. But for some reason I think Im going to love that metal chassis.

RSC10

Mar 1, 2010
Yea the videos arent mine, two youtube techies that posted videos of their experience. No need to be a prick, you cared enough and took time to comment on my original post, so I was just responding to you. "Smfh"

The thing that makes this thread terrible are Mr.Pink's comments....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're probably just super anal or something...

The thing that makes this thread terrible are Mr.Pink's comments....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app
    So that explains why my M8 is on back order lol just kidding!!! :D Hope you get one that doesn't have problems!
    Yeah I felt bad for you. 8 hours and not a single reply..

Besides I just said what everyone else was thinking when they read this terrible thread.
    My AT&T store gave me absolute hell to replace my M8. Mine had an uneven speaker grill and random holes in the right of the speaker grill were drilled through while other were not. Also had a couple of random nicks that were there from the get go. I figured it would be no problem to get another one. This sort of stuff happens a lot. Companies pump out tons of devices naturally there will be quality control issues. But I have never had a problem swapping out devices at Sprint, or Verizon. That's why we get 14 days to get satisfied.

Keep in mind, I always feel dumb going into a store to nitpick. I feel like I am an annoying customer. But the last thing I need is the employees treating me like crap making me sound crazy. I kindly explained the issue and was wondering if I could swap it out. They explained that it was "subjective" and that these were not confirmed manufacturers defects. They all passed around the phone and went in the back and huddled up with their manager. They explained that they only replace phones for serious issues or basically Dead On Arrival devices and that my issue was minor. Said I need to contact customer care or HTC.

So I call customer care. Did not even have to complain or throw the store under the bus. I kindly told her what the issue was and she asked me what happened when I went into the store. When I told her that they did not accept my M8 she was appalled. Said that I have the right to return a device even if I am just imagining a problem. So she told me to hold on and that she was going to personally call that store. Unfortunately she could not get through to them so she left them some nasty instructions in a note on my account.

I go back and they are still acting shady. Never once did the manager speak to me. His minions just kept running back and forth to him discussing stuff. You could tell he was ticked off after reading the note. I am standing literally 10 feet away and you can see them talking ****. The instructions were clear and told them that they need to replace my device ASAP AND offer me a free case for the inconvenience. I declined the case because I was not trying to get over on them, but simply just wanted to swap the device. You would think after all that someone would apologize and blame it on some confusion or something. A simple "hey sorry that you had to go through all that, we just were not clear on blah blah blah..." But nope. Nothing.

Even after I was getting the new phone activated, the guy I was working with basically threatened me and mocked me. Said "now I want you to open it up and take a good look at it and feel every nook and cranny under good lighting because if something ends up wrong with this one you're SOL and gonna have to end up shipping it off to HTC or something.." In my mind I am thinking "umm if something is wrong with it, I am going to come right back here and swap it out if I am within my return period." I am just shocked because I have never encountered that level of resistance before.