Noob Help Needed (Custom ROM Building)

Search This thread

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Hey,

I am jumping the gun a bit but I was going to be getting involved in building custom roms for the S5 (once SS is available.) I figure I might as well start now and if we never get SS (I'm sure we will in due time) at least I will have started with getting experience.

I've searched the internet and found some great guides to building custom roms. I am not a total noob but am new to building roms.

I would like if you all could help me out and point me in a good direction on xda or the web for rom building information so I can give it a go!

Also, I would like it if you guys would comment as to what you look for in a custom rom (stock touchwiz of course) so I can begin researching different mods as well!

I know I look for a good theme with themed apks, adblock hosts, bloat removed, call recording mods etc..

Thanks for helping me out!

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium HD app

G

GuestK00202

Hey,

I am jumping the gun a bit but I was going to be getting involved in building custom roms for the S5 (once SS is available.) I figure I might as well start now and if we never get SS (I'm sure we will in due time) at least I will have started with getting experience.

I've searched the internet and found some great guides to building custom roms. I am not a total noob but am new to building roms.

I would like if you all could help me out and point me in a good direction on xda or the web for rom building information so I can give it a go!

Also, I would like it if you guys would comment as to what you look for in a custom rom (stock touchwiz of course) so I can begin researching different mods as well!

I know I look for a good theme with themed apks, adblock hosts, bloat removed, call recording mods etc..

Thanks for helping me out!

http://developer.android.com/training/index.html

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
Thanks all who have sent info so far! Im at work but I plan on setting up my build environment when I get home and taking the dive!

I'm thinking of using linux which I heard is better than Windows 7.. That sound about right?

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
Ah whoops, I meant my buddy (and co worker) sharpie. We're planning on making a blacked out AOSP style Touch wiz ROM.

Sent from my VW S5 using your mom.

ahh ok lol. well we can colaborate as well! do you guys have experience or starting fresh as well?

Rushing

Jan 13, 2012
Los Angeles
My best advice is to google everything you don't positively know. Also look to use git for comparing apks. Git and meld are a great combo.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: elliwigy

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
By the way there are already aosp roms being built for this device. Check out the unified development sub forum. Those roms should be able to run on this variant. :) hope this gives you some insight on the people to talk to if you run into issues.

Except that unless your device is a DevEd right now, you won't be able to as we have no SS or any way to add a rom...

Reactions: elliwigy

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
By the way there are already aosp roms being built for this device. Check out the unified development sub forum. Those roms should be able to run on this variant. :) hope this gives you some insight on the people to talk to if you run into issues.

also to add what kprice said.. without an unlocked bootloader SS will only be able to flash roms compatible with the kernel/bootloader we have which would mean only stock based roms.. other than that, if this ever changes id love to work on aosp roms!

Top Liked Posts