Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

lazyboy0172

Jun 3, 2007
i got sprint also, and i am getting the pppd unrecognized option. '/dev/smd1/
and all other stuff. anyone else getting this error?
to find out the username password, on the phone, go to your phone, and dial:
##3282#

now click edit and enter your pin number (google this or something, im not sure if its universal and forget mine)

your username will be the one with @sprintpcs.com in it, and the password should be like the bottom option...i'm not 100% sure anymore, its the one with letters and numbers, it looks like a password. i went through this with sprint customer service, and its the real username/password, android will still tell you there is no connection and it can't load pages, but its a lie...pages load up just fine.

nzaw4

Mar 19, 2008
SoCal
to find out the username password, on the phone, go to your phone, and dial:
##3282#

now click edit and enter your pin number (google this or something, im not sure if its universal and forget mine)

your username will be the one with @sprintpcs.com in it, and the password should be like the bottom option...i'm not 100% sure anymore, its the one with letters and numbers, it looks like a password. i went through this with sprint customer service, and its the real username/password, android will still tell you there is no connection and it can't load pages, but its a lie...pages load up just fine.

thanks Lazyboy, i did change my login, but i noticed its a differnt login as opposed to going to sprint.com user name and PW. so i changed it to what you told me to do and also i am getting the same error. But the PW i have no idea what it is also. Im thinkin i might need my MSL number maybe? err i have no idea. Maybe MavisPuford, could chime in whenever he can and let me get his files and check out his defualt txt file :p

W.O.P.R

Apr 2, 2007
Aurora, CO
Shadow\Juno?

Reading almost the entire thread, I wasn't expecting much in terms of it working on my Juno\TMobile Shadow but I thought I would give it a try. I downloaded the files and placed on my phone and ran haret.exe. I got the following:
HaRET Boot
Shutting down hardware
Turning of MMU
In preloader
PSR=600000df
Tags Relocated
Kernel Relocated

After it does what seems to be a reboot, the screen lights up but is dark. If I let it sit for about 10-15 secs the screen turns off but I can then press the upper left option button to light up the keypad and the screen comes back on but still black.

If everyone thinks at this point it is a lost cause on the Juno, I will switch to my old Wizard, I just thought I would give it a shot.

Thanks

Last edited:

ryanbg

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2008
movr0.com
I have Sprint and I used the default.txt straight from the website, NO modifications no usernames no nothing. It worked perfect. Just right click, save text, and copy to phone straight from his website.

argov

Apr 18, 2006
I have Sprint and I used the default.txt straight from the website, NO modifications no usernames no nothing. It worked perfect. Just right click, save text, and copy to phone straight from his website.

i had no problem to run older ver.
this one keep giving my Error 19
cannot create/dev
and pppb error

nzaw4

Mar 19, 2008
SoCal
I also put the default.txt as from the web also no go.

ok, ill type out the whole error.

init: mtd partition 0 , "msm_hand"

initialize modem,
username=mobile@jamamobile password=telecom
smem_find(14, 16424): wrong size 16424, expected 0
smd_open () channel 0 does not exist
/etc/setupmodem.sh: cannot create /dev/smd0: error 19
smd_open() channel 0 does not exist
/etc/setupmodem.sh : cnnot create /dev/smd0: error 19
pppd: unrecongnized option '/dev/smd1'
pppd version 2.4.3

After that display it shows like its listing commands for pppd ( which i dont care to much to type out already )
usage : ppd [options 1, where options are :
<device> etc.....

lazyboy0172

Jun 3, 2007
i searched up on my method posted earlier, here is an easier instruction set (FOR SPRINT USERS TO FIND USERNAME/PASSWORD FOR DATA ACCESS):

1. on your phone click phone and dial: ##3828#
2. something will auto-launch, you have the option to view, edit or cancel. CHOOSE EDIT
3. it will ask for a password, this is your msl number, to get it, follow these instructions:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=366667
4. User Name should be in the top left corner of your screen, if not, click view info (left softkey, and press user name)
5. write down "User Name" and "AAA Shared Secret(HEX)"
6. open the default.txt and enter what you wrote down for User Name where the username goes and what you wrote down for AAA Shared Secret(HEX) for the password.
7. save default.txt, put it on your phone with the other android files and run haret, now when going to maps or the browser it will tell you there is no connection, but you will find pages and maps load just fine. phone calls and SMS still does not work, however.

Last edited:

W.O.P.R

Apr 2, 2007
Aurora, CO
Omap zImage, going to test it now...
http://osdir.com/ml/ports.arm.omap/2006-07/msg00050.html

Edit: this did change something, still no boot tho.

Checking this now:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=1335617&postcount=64
I've got almost a boot using one of the zImages that come with LinWizard... Changed the MTYPE to 6666, which was on the config file of LinWizard.

Ok, so I used the zImage from here, changed the MTYPE to 6666, rem'd out the #set initrd initrd.gz. Now I get what i had before, but the the screen fills in with lots of text. The first thing at the top is Rock N Roll and then a bunch of other stuff. The the phone turns off.

nzaw4

Mar 19, 2008
SoCal
I also put the default.txt as from the web also no go.

ok, ill type out the whole error.

init: mtd partition 0 , "msm_hand"

initialize modem,
username=mobile@jamamobile password=telecom
smd_open () channel 0 does not exist
/etc/setupmodem.sh: cannot create /dev/smd0: error 19
smd_open() channel 0 does not exist
/etc/setupmodem.sh : cnnot create /dev/smd0: error 19
pppd: unrecongnized option '/dev/smd1'
pppd version 2.4.3

After that display it shows like its listing commands for pppd ( which i dont care to much to type out already )
usage : ppd [options 1, where options are :
<device> etc.....

i searched up on my method posted earlier, here is an easier instruction set (FOR SPRINT USERS TO FIND USERNAME/PASSWORD FOR DATA ACCESS):

1. on your phone click phone and dial: ##3828#
2. something will auto-launch, you have the option to view, edit or cancel. CHOOSE EDIT
3. it will ask for a password, this is your msl number, to get it, follow these instructions:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=366667
4. User Name should be in the top left corner of your screen, if not, click view info (left softkey, and press user name)
5. write down "User Name" and "AAA Shared Secret(HEX)"
6. open the default.txt and enter what you wrote down for User Name where the username goes and what you wrote down for AAA Shared Secret(HEX) for the password.
7. save default.txt, put it on your phone with the other android files and run haret, now when going to maps or the browser it will tell you there is no connection, but you will find pages and maps load just fine. phone calls and SMS still does not work, however.

thanks for the write up lazyboy. I tried what you recommened and sugguested. I still get no dice in booting up completely, and i still get stuck on the previous load screen.

I did find my MSL though :p thanks! but other than that nothing.

MavisPuford

Feb 8, 2008
i got sprint also, and i am getting the pppd unrecognized option. '/dev/smd1/
and all other stuff. anyone else getting this error?

Hmmm... Well if it makes any difference, my default.txt file looks a bit different from my previous post than when I open it in notepad. Here's my default.txt file (with my login info removed of course)

I am just using the most recent files from dzo's site. Files in the directory:
default.txt
haret.exe
initrd-android (no file extension)
zImage (no file extention)

Attachments

• default.txt
    165 bytes · Views: 150

nzaw4

Mar 19, 2008
SoCal
Hmmm... Well if it makes any difference, my default.txt file looks a bit different from my previous post than when I open it in notepad. Here's my default.txt file (with my login info removed of course)

I am just using the most recent files from dzo's site. Files in the directory:
default.txt
haret.exe
initrd-android (no file extension)
zImage (no file extention)

cool., thanks for the reply mavis. I had my default file listed the same. Still no dice. Its still stuck on the linux boot screen, with that pppd showing up. Eh, well i wont sweat it that much since the radio dosnt work. :mad:

but thanks for all the help guys.

W.O.P.R

Apr 2, 2007
Aurora, CO
Interesting!

When I run HaRET.exe it goes all the way through the and the text turns green and stops with a message stating:
"Freeing init memory: 92k"
After this, if I let it sit for a while, GPIO's will start loading. I haven't let it sit very long after they sstart to see what happens but it did run through about 12 of them.
GPIO 123: in val=1
GPIO 82: in val=0
etc.

If I hit what would be the Enter key i then get:
"omap-keypad: Spurious key event 7-5"

I can hit each button and get different results (note this is a Juno so it has a SureType keypad).

! Q W = Enter
1 E R = Space
2 T Y = CAPS
3 U I = x
. O P = ^@ihge
? A S = Backspace
4 D F = l (letter L)
5 G H = c
6 J K = y
, L = ^@igeq
@ Z X = o
7 C V = b
8 B N = f
9 M = s
DEL Backspace = ^@ieq^@
ALT = p
* SYM = v
0 SPACE = r
# CAPS = w
Enter = ^@iq^@

Left Soft Button = ^@
Right Soft Button = Tab
Home Button = ^c
Back Button = Nothing
Talk Button = ^@
End Button = Nothing
Vol Up = n
Vol Down = m
Voicedial = ^@i
Camera = ,

In the haretlog I get the Go Go Go message but nothing happens after that.

Attachments

• default.txt
    401 bytes · Views: 58
  • haretlog.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

kellybrf

Nov 16, 2007
Google Pixel 8
im trying to run this on my vogue with no luck. ive got both a sprint touch with a custom rom and a bone stock vzw 6900. i downloaded the four files from the link in the first post and drop them onto my device (no .txt for initrd-android and zImage.) i can run haret and get the penguin and it runs through a bunch of text, but eventually hangs. theres a few mentions of error 19, but im not exactly sure what is wrong. heres my log, any help?

Attachments

• haretlog.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 22

docnas

Aug 30, 2006
Id like to know about the status of the project of getting android on the wizard. Last week there was some major advances so i was hoping someone might have gotten it.
( And before someone complains that im on the wrong forum the reason im asking here is because the developers were working on it from here)

d1rtyd33z

Feb 13, 2008
freakin awesome!!

MARTIN: You got pppd to work with the CDMA radio?! That freakin ROCKS! What is the "ril" library you mention on your website relating to voice calls?

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
MARTIN: You got pppd to work with the CDMA radio?! That freakin ROCKS! What is the "ril" library you mention on your website relating to voice calls?

Yeah, it's a bit of a hack at the moment, I dial 777 and run pppd during startup (setupmodem.sh in /etc). What should happen is that android runs a daemon called rild (radio interface library daemon) which in turn loads a shared lib called libril.so, and a library customised for each phone, there is libreference-ril.so for the emulator and mention in the script of libhtc-ril.so. This library listens for commands from the runtime to do various phone specific things like sending and receiving sms messages, getting the signal strength etc... using the AT channel. It's fairly small so shouldn't be too hard to write, I'll get around to it some time.

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
I think you owe us more details :)
I don't think know any more than you do, all I know is that the msm kernel sends a message to the arm9 to enable the GPU clock and then maps a section at 0xa0000000 for a userspace driver. This is with a completely different version of the ARM9 software to ours so we probably can't enable the clock and/or see the mapped memory. Somebody needs to disassemble the ARM9 code and see what it does.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..