[Q] EEEK, Now KNOX freaking me out! Really confused.

Search This thread

LoganSwank

Jan 7, 2014
Hi everyone!

I am a noob to XDA, however I have successfully rooted and flashed both my cricket Mercury M880, and now, much to my astonishment, my cricket galaxy s4 SCH-R970C, equipped with this KNOX monster I have just now read so much about. Out of pure ignorance, I rooted the SCH-R970C running Android 4.2.2, and proceeded to delete Bloatware. I had a vague notion of what KNOX was supposed to do, so I happily deleted that booger too. After all that, I backed up everything, then went about flashing CM 10.1. Everything works PERFECTLY. So what the heck is my problem, you may be asking, well this is it.

My mom's Sprint Galaxy s3, SPH-L710, was flashed over to Cricket. When they did this, the nice man at the Cricket store, explained that there were issues with flashed phones sending pic texts from stock messenger, so he installed another messenger from the market, and warned us not to accept any firmware updates. Then my mom, being a mom, accepted the Android 4.3 update OTA. So of course, just as we were warned, the MMS stopped working.

My initial idea for a fix was to simply root the phone, install CM 10.1, and voila! Android 4.1.2 downgraded. MMS or pic texting restored!
But first, I thought, I should check in here, and see what some threads had to say. My findings scared the crap outta me.

There were some very succinct posts relating to downgrade from an OTA 4.3 update to any other version, with respect to KNOX being there specifically to indicate if you had monkeyed with your phone. Some went on to suggest that any attempt to downgrade would hard brick your phone.
But I did. WITH factory installed KNOX. Herein lies my confusion.

1) Simplest things first. Is there another messenger app in the market anyone knows about that supports Android 4.3 and will send picture texts from my mom's Sprint SPH-L710 phone now flashed to Cricket? I saw "chomp" but SMS is in it's name and I believe MMS is the problem.

2) Failing that, If I back up, root, and just wipe everything, can't I flash CM 10.1 to mom's s3 with the same process I used on my now perfectly functioning and CM 10.1 running s4?

3) If step 2 is a viable option, should I use CM 10.1 .zip for cricket model SCH-R530, or the CM 10.1.zip for Sprint model SPH-L710. (bearing in mind it was originally a sprint phone flashed to cricket.)

4) W (exactly) TF is this KNOX deal? Like I say, I deleted this lil devil from MY s4 running 4.2.2, and proceeded to merrily jack with my phone in complete ignorance, with absolutely no consequence. ( other than voiding my warranty ). From reading most of the threads here, I should be holding a cold, lifeless droid in my hands yet, IT LIVES!

If I violated any of XDA's TOS with this post, PLEASE DON'T BAN ME. This site has been the most helpful I've come across. Just let me know my post was unacceptable. I do promise I have read a TON of previous threads, but none seemed to address my specific issues.

Secondly, if you made it this far, thank you so much for your consideration. Any advice you can provide would be gratefully appreciated.

tclemens

Oct 31, 2012
Shepherdsville
Chomp works well for ams and mas give me a minute and I'll post screen shots of how to set it up

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tclemens

Oct 31, 2012
Shepherdsville
Go to sms mms network settings uncheck the t mobile thing

Attachments

• 1389133936174.jpg
    1389133936174.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: LoganSwank

tclemens

Oct 31, 2012
Shepherdsville
Then go to apn settings and put this in exactly like this reboot a couple of times and you are good

Attachments

• 1389134073669.jpg
    1389134073669.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 63

tclemens

Oct 31, 2012
Shepherdsville
Glad to help also don't uninstall stock message app just turn off notifications

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go to sms mms network settings uncheck the t mobile thing