audio hiss after 4.4.2 update.

Search This thread

helppme

Apr 20, 2011
Can you turn off the audio effects in the Settings>Sound and test again. Please post back your results.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

Just ignore my previous post. I saw that you have already tried those. I was hoping to buy a Sound magic E10 for my moto g. In its product page it is mentioned that it has an impedance of 16ohms. So do you guys think I should go with that buy or save money buy a cheaper one considering E10 might won't give good audio quality with moto g.

I am not an audiophile. I have used a sound magic PL11 with my iPod touch and I have never noticed any hiss or anything. I have was hoping to have a good audio experience with moto g and SM E10 earphone.

the e10 impedence rating will be for it's own in built amplifier, it has nothing to do with its input level. As with any headphone amplifier, the 'usual' method is to set your input level (the phone volume) to about 2 thirds maximum, or higher if safe. This maximises the Signal to Noise ration going into you E10. You then use the E10 as an attenuator/amplifier to drive your headphones. Unless the E10 is also a DAC, but in that case you won't have the hiss from the phones headphone jack anyway..

I hope that made sense. Basically, the 16Ohm issue wont really apply if you are using an external headphone amp :D

vNa5h

Dec 2, 2011
<<SOLVED>> The moto G Opamp is not very efficient. It struggles to go down to 2Ohm stable. This means average earbud type headphones rated at 16Ohms. will have hiss and other artifacts. Higher impedance headphones. 40-70Ohms have much better sq. Much above 70Ohms and I suspect the Moto G won't be powerful enough to drive them.... so, that's the sweet spot! :D

what are u talking about.. my pl11 is rated at 12ohms...and i have no hiss sound..just confirmed it in quiet room

helppme

Apr 20, 2011
Can you turn off the audio effects in the Settings>Sound and test again. Please post back your results.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

Just ignore my previous post. I saw that you have already tried those. I was hoping to buy a Sound magic E10 for my moto g. In its product page it is mentioned that it has an impedance of 16ohms. So do you guys think I should go with that buy or save money buy a cheaper one considering E10 might won't give good audio quality with moto g.

I am not an audiophile. I have used a sound magic PL11 with my iPod touch and I have never noticed any hiss or anything. I have was hoping to have a good audio experience with moto g and SM E10 earphone.

what are u talking about.. my pl11 is rated at 12ohms...and i have no hiss sound..just confirmed it in quiet room

Without getting into a 'hypothetical debate' I'd strongly urge you to research the subject properly before commenting.

There are 2 possibilities. You have been lucky and have a pair of pl11 that work well with this phone, or (quite likely) your hearing range means you see no problem and hear no hiss. This is consistent with what a lot of others have reported on this thread.

However, if you look through the posts the vast majority that have checked have confirmed my conclusion.

With regards to the PL11, these are budget headphones with relatively poor quality controls. It is very likely that their printed specs differ greatly from they actual specs. Impedence ratings are often misrepresented to allow a manufacture to also list a wider or flatter frequency response. The PL11 would fall into this category.

Shure, Sennheiser, Sony even and some others generally provide accurate specificaitons, because their headphones are used for studio purposes where people would complain immediately if they were off.

I'm not saying you are wrong, what I'm saying is your sample of '1' doesn't mean much in this situation.

I hope you take my reply as it's intended :)

ReaperXL2

Mar 6, 2011
Manchester
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Without getting into a 'hypothetical debate' I'd strongly urge you to research the subject properly before commenting.

There are 2 possibilities. You have been lucky and have a pair of pl11 that work well with this phone, or (quite likely) your hearing range means you see no problem and hear no hiss. This is consistent with what a lot of others have reported on this thread.

However, if you look through the posts the vast majority that have checked have confirmed my conclusion.

With regards to the PL11, these are budget headphones with relatively poor quality controls. It is very likely that their printed specs differ greatly from they actual specs. Impedence ratings are often misrepresented to allow a manufacture to also list a wider or flatter frequency response. The PL11 would fall into this category.

Shure, Sennheiser, Sony even and some others generally provide accurate specificaitons, because their headphones are used for studio purposes where people would complain immediately if they were off.

I'm not saying you are wrong, what I'm saying is your sample of '1' doesn't mean much in this situation.

Hey Peeps :good:

Been following this post & just thought I would throw my experience so far in to the mix...

I have a GPE Moto G UK... I am running XenoAmp Beta (latest) alongside ViPERFX... My headphones are JVCKenwood XX (Xtreme Xplosives HA-MR77X) : http://xtreme.jvc.com/spec.html...

Frequency response is : 8-20,000Hz, Nominal Impedance is : 46ohms, Sensitivity is : 113 dB/1mW, Maximum Input Capability is : 1000mW(IEC)...

I have not heard & can not hear any audible hiss of any description when adjusting volumes or listening to audio, either with ViPERFX or without...

I have also tried XenoAmp native EQ & calibration tool without ViPERFX & again, experienced only clean audio without interference at any level...

Maybe this issue is related to the Motorola proprietary software installed along with the 4.4.2 retail release firmware...

GPE Edition Moto G's are completely free of all third party inclusions & may explain the lack of audio issues in my phone...

Just another facet that I think should be investigated...

Motorola DSP may be the Issue, or other Motorola derived software...

Anyway, I wish you all luck solving this issue... If I discover any solution for sufferers of the audio hiss, then I will be sure to inform you peeps asap :highfive:

ReaperXL2 :silly:

Last edited:

helppme

Apr 20, 2011

Been following this post & just thought I would throw my experience so far in to the mix...

I have a GPE Moto G UK... I am running XenoAmp Beta (latest) alongside ViPERFX... My headphones are JVCKenwood XX (Xtreme Xplosives HA-MR77X) : http://xtreme.jvc.com/spec.html...

Frequency response is : 8-20,000Hz, Nominal Impedance is : 46ohms, Sensitivity is : 113 dB/1mW, Maximum Input Capability is : 1000mW(IEC)...

I have not heard & can not hear any audible hiss of any description when adjusting volumes or listening to audio, either with ViPERFX or without...

I have also tried XenoAmp native EQ & calibration tool without ViPERFX & again, experienced only clean audio without interference at any level...

Maybe this issue is related to the Motorola proprietary software installed along with the 4.4.2 retail release firmware...

GPE Edition Moto G's are completely free of all third party inclusions & may explain the lack of audio issues in my phone...

Anyway, I wish you all luck solving this issue... If I discover any solution for sufferers of the audio hiss, then I will be sure to inform you peeps asap :highfive:

cheers for the feedback. This seems to match what others have found. the dsp and other sound fx settings don't help the sound quality and are worth turning off. It sounds like you have found a good set up that works well for you, hopefully will help others.

I think the issues are more down to the headphones than the version of android as I originally thought.

UnknownAX

Nov 15, 2011
does amplifier like fiio e6 will stop this hissing sound(iem sony xba-h1, 40ohm)

Pretty much anything that attentuates the signal would help because you can turn the volume on the phone higher that way. Obviously an amp is not perfect for this, because it further amplifies the signal unless you turn the volume on it low. And I doubt you want more volume with your headphones. So yes, the e6 would help, but an active headphone buffer (w/o gain) or even a dac/amp (fiio e7) would be better in your case.

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

rahul32111

Jan 21, 2011
Pretty much anything that attentuates the signal would help because you can turn the volume on the phone higher that way. Obviously an amp is not perfect for this, because it further amplifies the signal unless you turn the volume on it low. And I doubt you want more volume with your headphones. So yes, the e6 would help, but an active headphone buffer (w/o gain) or even a dac/amp (fiio e7) would be better in your case.

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

Thanks for reply, but dac Like fiio e7 would be too much costly for me, anyways i still like the sound

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

<<SOLVED>> The moto G Opamp is not very efficient. It struggles to go down to 2Ohm stable. This means average earbud type headphones rated at 16Ohms. will have hiss and other artifacts. Higher impedance headphones. 40-70Ohms have much better sq. Much above 70Ohms and I suspect the Moto G won't be powerful enough to drive them.... so, that's the sweet spot! :D

Hey,

Since I updated to kitkta4.4.2 I notice there is a significant background hiss listening with headphones.

As soon as you use an app that activates the audio jack the hiss kicks in, it is constant, not volume dependent. If you turn the volume down to zero, but the app keeps the sound output active the hiss remains.

when the app is closed, the hiss abruptly stops (presumably when the sound API deactivates the inbuilt opamp to save battery)

I'm about 90% sure this wasn't present under 4.3 or was far less noticeable.

I'm not being picky either, this is bad enough that it would make using the phone as a walkman at a low or moderate volume unpleasant. From experience I'd estimate the hiss at approx -20dB.. this is similar to the hiss you would hear from your average desktop PC fan at idle under your desk..

can anyone test this too, on 4.3 and 4.4.2?

Oh, and use earbud headphones or good closed cup ones. Open phones, unless you are somewhere very quiet won't give a good idea of the hiss..

thanks
    I have tried with 3 sets of 16ohm headphones. £35 quid sonys and a £22 quid set of ex71s and some super cheap jvc ones. All have the same bad hiss.

Tried with some 20ohm samsung buds. hiss, but not as bad, and My HD25s. virtually no audible hiss...

Be great to hear your results. This would explain why other people hear no hiss though. I'm fairly confident this is what's going on.

Well, to update again: I tried yet another pair of ear cans --- my noise-isolating buds (Shure SE110) which are 27 ohms and ..... absolutely zero hiss whatsoever at any volume.

So in terms of other specs that may be causing the hiss/no hiss difference:

Shure SE110
    Frequency Response 22Hz-17.5kHz
    Sensitivity 113.0 dB/mW
    Impedance 27.0 Ohm

SONY MDR-ZX600
    Frequency Response 6 - 25000 Hz
    Sensitivity 104 dB/mW
    Impedance 40 Ohm

I'm wondering if it's because the SONYs have a wider frequency response range (supposedly people can only hear 20-20k) that I can hear it on them, and not at all on the Shures?

I'll try again if I can find that dratted adapter, I normally have the Senns plugged into my digital piano so I never use them for anything else.