Android Language files ?

Search This thread

threeeye

Apr 4, 2010
USA
Hi all,
I'm trying to compile Android with full Hebrew support (inc. menus)
I need the language files so I can translate them, or to get from somewhere the HEB files and push them in to the system.

Can someone help me ?

sharpt71

Jun 18, 2010
I'm not sure what did you mean by "language files". Before the expert -- capychimp, answer your question, you might want to try the followings:

1. go grab a copy of Rogers Magic stock 2.1 rom with root.
2. go grab a copy of RCMagic v2.0
3. use kitchen to create a working directory based on stock 2.1 rom
4. deodex all apk files
5. extract RCMagic v2.0
6. compare any apk file in /system/app/ or /system/framework/ (one from kitchen's working directory and another from RCMagic v2.0)
7. let's assume that A.apk from kitchen is renamed as stock-A.apk and A.apk from RCMagic is rename as RC-A.apk
8. use apktool to decode both apk files
9. after decoding, check out stock-A/res/values* and RC-A/res/values*. As far as I know, values/* are for English and, take zh_TW (Traditional Chinese) as an example, values-zh-rTW/* are for Traditional Chinese.

So, I guess you can create a values-XXXX for your language code and put whatever needed into values-XXXX/*

Hi all,
I'm trying to compile Android with full Hebrew support (inc. menus)
I need the language files so I can translate them, or to get from somewhere the HEB files and push them in to the system.

Can someone help me ?

tnp_lek

Sep 8, 2009
Requirements:
JRE 1.6 (Java Runtime Environment)
aapt command in a PATH
basic knowledge of what is SDK, aapt, PATH, smali and Google search engine may be useful

Must learn more.
Thank man :D

capychimp

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2009
At home
when compiling we are talking aosp, that something else, i have no clue of aosp roms, i can ml up any sense rom, but aosp, acts different, so if you mean compile from aosp source i am noob ;)

capychimp

Sep 18, 2009
At home
I'm not sure what did you mean by "language files". Before the expert -- capychimp, answer your question, you might want to try the followings:

1. go grab a copy of Rogers Magic stock 2.1 rom with root.
2. go grab a copy of RCMagic v2.0
3. use kitchen to create a working directory based on stock 2.1 rom
4. deodex all apk files
5. extract RCMagic v2.0
6. compare any apk file in /system/app/ or /system/framework/ (one from kitchen's working directory and another from RCMagic v2.0)
7. let's assume that A.apk from kitchen is renamed as stock-A.apk and A.apk from RCMagic is rename as RC-A.apk
8. use apktool to decode both apk files
9. after decoding, check out stock-A/res/values* and RC-A/res/values*. As far as I know, values/* are for English and, take zh_TW (Traditional Chinese) as an example, values-zh-rTW/* are for Traditional Chinese.

So, I guess you can create a values-XXXX for your language code and put whatever needed into values-XXXX/*
to make it easier, you have 84 apks you need to decode to make a full sense rom multilanguage ;)

capychimp

Sep 18, 2009
At home
well thats the apks thats the same for all roms, but how to activate them on aosp no idea, cause in sense you do it in CID/default.xml

threeeye

Apr 4, 2010
USA
I have an Hebrew apk, I unpacked it using apktool.
I got the Hebrew xml file, so I think I'm set, but to translate 84 apk's to make a full Hebrew Android, WOW that's alot !!!
I've attached a flashable ZIP with apk's in Hebrew (I didn't do it).
Is this the only whey to translate Android, or is there a EZer way to do it ?

p.s. thanks for the reply and help...

Attachments

• HebLocaleMUI_signed.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 202

capychimp

Sep 18, 2009
At home
i am working on a script so you can just unpack a rom, and by menu select to make it ml

well i see you have some of it, but still alot to go ;)
and you would need the rtl support in framework.jar also

Last edited:

threeeye

Apr 4, 2010
USA
In Froyo with a little help from a guide I get RTL in Internet and SMS.
So I think I have full RTL...

Tell me which files do I need to translate and we will work together on this...

threeeye

Apr 4, 2010
USA
O.K, I have the .xml files that I need to translate.
I know there is a program for translating file.po (value on one side and translation on the other side)
But is there a program like that for file.xml ?

Egy-bluE

Dec 20, 2013
Hello ..
1st of all I've Alcatel 985D with gingerbread 2.3.6 and I've its stock rom backup with Arabic locale language support, but I'm using a custom rom that isn't support Arabic so I wanna find a way to copy system language files from stock rom and paste it into custom rom so I can get Arabic language for system ?! is there a way to do that .. any general ideas ?!